Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Ignoarints posted:

Nice man. I'm hoping off the shelf copper heat sinks will cut it for me. I wish I could go that far though. Any recommendations on thermal pads because I've read quite a few reports of them just falling off with what comes with them. Although they are often countered by people saying they didn't do it right. Last thing I'd want is one falling off without me knowing and I actually was running too hot since I don't have a way to monitor vrm temp
Sekisui thermal tape is what I use as it hasn't fallen off over time unlike the 3M tape I used in the past. Clean the RAM/VRM chips with 91% or higher rubbing alcohol and use a pencil eraser on them before applying the heatsinks, then hit the assembled chip/heatsink with a blowdryer for a few seconds to secure the bond. VRMs are a little tricky since they're so small and it makes hitting them with the eraser kinda difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Ignoarints posted:

Nice man. I'm hoping off the shelf copper heat sinks will cut it for me. I wish I could go that far though. Any recommendations on thermal pads because I've read quite a few reports of them just falling off with what comes with them. Although they are often countered by people saying they didn't do it right. Last thing I'd want is one falling off without me knowing and I actually was running too hot since I don't have a way to monitor vrm temp

I don't use adhesive pad, even my custom solution was tapped for screws, honestly I could probably use regular old cream TIM but I prefer the consistency of thermal pads (and for the surface mounted VRMs you need a thick layer to insulate them properly (see a couple pages back when I burned my motherboard power traces by shorting the VRMs).

I used a rebranded fujipoly pad @ 1mm thickness.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

Does the vapor chamber come off the stock cooler on nv cards? For AMD you just heat the solder that holds the chamber to the aluminum bottom bracket and voila, separation.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

deimos posted:

Does the vapor chamber come off the stock cooler on nv cards? For AMD you just heat the solder that holds the chamber to the aluminum bottom bracket and voila, separation.

What can you do with it separated?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

I have no idea, and I have an MSI card which is very different from the reference cooler. I shall look

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

What can you do with it separated?

You use the frame to cool the rest of the components, see my earlier posts about my VRM cooling experiments, the best results were when I re-used the bracket.

edit: Not mine but: Visuals!

(I used a blow torch instead of an oven to remove the chamber, and I soldered aluminum fins in the "front")

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 6, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

deimos posted:

You use the frame to cool the rest of the components, see my earlier posts about my VRM cooling experiments, the best results were when I re-used the bracket.

Seems like a lot of work and destroys the stock cooler. Did you have to use a torch?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Seems like a lot of work and destroys the stock cooler. Did you have to use a torch?

No, you can use an oven. And good news, coolers don't have serial numbers anywhere in them, so if you get an advance replacement you can just drop the new cooler in the old card. It's honestly pretty easy, I didn't file the opening, just drilled the mounting holes in my press. It basically turns the G10 into a fully custom bracket that cools the right places perfectly.

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Would it be possible to grind away the fins and stack on top of the vapor chamber? That way you'd cool the vram better.

Edit: on 2nd thought, not worth the trouble. Are there any aftermarket brackets for either air or liquid?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 6, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Would it be possible to grind away the fins and stack on top of the vapor chamber? That way you'd cool the vram better.

Edit: on 2nd thought, not worth the trouble. Are there any aftermarket brackets for either air or liquid?

You can separate the fins from the chamber the same way you separate the chamber from the bracket, but for that I am pretty sure a blow torch will be better than an oven, you have to use a screw driver to separate those two while heating it up (the chamber has a much weaker attachment to the base bracket than the fins).

Honestly the fins are the lovely part of the cooler, the vapor chamber seems decent enough.

edit: Sup?

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 6, 2014

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Err hasn't the xtreme IV been out for a bit already?

edit: oh I read above post as 'coming out' not arriving personally.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 6, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Shaocaholica posted:

Err hasn't the xtreme IV been out for a bit already?

Yes: first available March 3.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm not sure if I like the back plate mounting mech on the Xtreme IV. Seems really hacky.

Also, is there any room under the main cooler for low profile vram and vrm heatsinks?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

You can separate the fins from the chamber the same way you separate the chamber from the bracket, but for that I am pretty sure a blow torch will be better than an oven, you have to use a screw driver to separate those two while heating it up (the chamber has a much weaker attachment to the base bracket than the fins).

Honestly the fins are the lovely part of the cooler, the vapor chamber seems decent enough.

edit: Sup?

edit2: In related news, it seems Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme IV is coming.

I knew 290s ran hot wow

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Welmu posted:

Yes: first available March 3.

Err well I misread something, thought it came out more recently.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Sorry for the low effort post here, but this is unfamiliar territory for me. Can anybody estimate a rough cost for custom water cooling two 780tis and a CPU? I'm starting to wonder now if it's just worth going for. Once I add up the costs of 2x AIO's + 1 I have already, little heatsinks and stuff, 2x water brackets, the cost seems to get pretty up there. I was in Microcenter buying a case and saw real watercooling kits I thought were only available online and it just struck me.

I remember seeing waterblocks and scoffing at the prices in general but the difference might not to be TOO off I guess. And if it's not too bad I might be willing to do it for peace of mind for VRM's, etc.

Edit: The case, btw, was a NZXT H440. A major loving headache picking a case I must say. It was all complicated by the fact my cheap antec 300(2) has excellent airflow for whatever reason and I didn't want to take a step back. The best airflow cases for overclocking, it seemed, were either mega huge, sacrificed GPU temps for CPU temps and vice versa, or extremely ugly. I have a pretty good ugly computer tolerance but I just couldn't deal with the Phantom 630 and something else that was even "better" but looked like a transformers 7 racist-bot.

H440 looks sleek as hell, just a tad of rice, supports the radiators I want, airflow is at least good to decent (but consistent), and plenty of room. "Bad" news is no optical bay which is admittedly weird for the size and the PSU area is strangely restrictive but shouldn't be any issue for me. I think I've thrown away every driver cd I've gotten in the last year so I gave up the bay. I guess I'll get some kind of USB enclosure for the one I have if I need it for whatever reason, if that's a thing.

Looking forward to filling this case up with tubes and stuff. Now I kind of wish my ram wasn't blue... which is something I just couldn't have given a poo poo about ever in my life. But red/black case, red/black mobo, red/black GPU all by chance, then random blue rear end ram. I wish it were lovely ram as it is many years old now, but its not... can't possibly justify buying new ram.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 8, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
One thing to consider is that full-cover waterblocks are rarely transferrable to new cards since they're custom-fitted for specific reference models. As a result they generally can't be reused later and they'll usually have gently caress-all resale value unless you manage to sell the card(s) with the coolers.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

cisco privilege posted:

One thing to consider is that full-cover waterblocks are rarely transferrable to new cards since they're custom-fitted for specific reference models. As a result they generally can't be reused later and they'll usually have gently caress-all resale value unless you manage to sell the card(s) with the coolers.

Alright good enough for me right off the bat, thanks. And I just took a look at the price of two waterblocks and its already around the cost of the entire setup I was planning to have with AIO's. Resale is pretty important to me and I didn't even think about that.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Rough minimum cost for a custom loop is ~$500.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Ignoarints posted:

Sorry for the low effort post here, but this is unfamiliar territory for me. Can anybody estimate a rough cost for custom water cooling two 780tis and a CPU? I'm starting to wonder now if it's just worth going for. Once I add up the costs of 2x AIO's + 1 I have already, little heatsinks and stuff, 2x water brackets, the cost seems to get pretty up there. I was in Microcenter buying a case and saw real watercooling kits I thought were only available online and it just struck me.

I remember seeing waterblocks and scoffing at the prices in general but the difference might not to be TOO off I guess. And if it's not too bad I might be willing to do it for peace of mind for VRM's, etc.

Edit: The case, btw, was a NZXT H440. A major loving headache picking a case I must say. It was all complicated by the fact my cheap antec 300(2) has excellent airflow for whatever reason and I didn't want to take a step back. The best airflow cases for overclocking, it seemed, were either mega huge, sacrificed GPU temps for CPU temps and vice versa, or extremely ugly. I have a pretty good ugly computer tolerance but I just couldn't deal with the Phantom 630 and something else that was even "better" but looked like a transformers 7 racist-bot.

H440 looks sleek as hell, just a tad of rice, supports the radiators I want, airflow is at least good to decent (but consistent), and plenty of room. "Bad" news is no optical bay which is admittedly weird for the size and the PSU area is strangely restrictive but shouldn't be any issue for me. I think I've thrown away every driver cd I've gotten in the last year so I gave up the bay. I guess I'll get some kind of USB enclosure for the one I have if I need it for whatever reason, if that's a thing.

Looking forward to filling this case up with tubes and stuff. Now I kind of wish my ram wasn't blue... which is something I just couldn't have given a poo poo about ever in my life. But red/black case, red/black mobo, red/black GPU all by chance, then random blue rear end ram. I wish it were lovely ram as it is many years old now, but its not... can't possibly justify buying new ram.

I have a kraken x40 for my 780 with a g10 bracket and a kraken x60 for my 4770k in my h440. setup was real easy and it looks good imho

the nzxt fans are loud as hell though, the noctuas I replaced them with makes the whole thing completely silent, even under load

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
So, I'm pretty drat new to this overclocking thing. I'm actually in the market for a new build, and intend on overclocking that so I've been reading about it. That being said, I downloaded some CPU temp software and found my stock 2500k processor was running at 3.3 ghz at 95deg Celsius. Soooo. That's pretty drat hot.

Luckily I had a hyper 212 evo laying around that I never installed. I had the Sunday, and installed it. Seemed to install well, felt pretty tight (a little tiny bit of wiggle but hardly movement). I started up the computer and saw that my stock temps were like, 45deg C at like 20% load.

I started overclocking a bit getting to 4.2ghz at 1.25V with idle temps around 44 and max at 52deg when gaming. By the looks of what I saw online, this seems a bit high temp. Then again, for god knows what reason my chip has been running at 95 degrees for probably months prior to this.

Does this sound incredibly hosed? Like I said I'm in a market for a new rig, but this one will go to my little brother and I definitely want him to have a good comp too.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

52C is not remotely hot for full load.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
His gaming is probably not really close to being "full load" in the sense that's usually used in OCing (talking about IBT or Prime95 stress testing temperatures), but yes, those temps are perfectly fine.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

beejay posted:

52C is not remotely hot for full load.

Well I ran 5 rounds of intel burn on standard mode (which puts the cup at 100%) and it looks like the temperature highs it made during that time were around 75•C.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
As long as that's the highest reading for a single CPU core in IBT that's fine. If it's the "CPU" temp the cores are likely reading higher than that.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

As long as that's the highest reading for a single CPU core in IBT that's fine. If it's the "CPU" temp the cores are likely reading higher than that.

Again, excuse my terrible understanding of this, but where would I see the overall CPU temp? I would run the ITB with RealTemp and just watched where the temp was. The 4 diff cores had about a 75*C temp give or take 3 degrees or so.

What's the difference between those four temperatures, and the "CPU" temp. Is it like, overall vs. just the cores? I guess all I really wanna know is how to gauge if I'm in a danger zone or not. And if not, if it's okay to keep moving up the clock speed?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

DirtyTalk posted:

Again, excuse my terrible understanding of this, but where would I see the overall CPU temp? I would run the ITB with RealTemp and just watched where the temp was. The 4 diff cores had about a 75*C temp give or take 3 degrees or so.
That's fine. Realtemp gave you per-core measurements. Some measuring tools like HWiNFO also give a "CPU" die/package reading which isn't as accurate, but you have the right numbers there.

I'd try to keep maximum core temps under 80C in max IBT if at all possible as you'll never see anything that high in normal usage. The closest temperatures might be during multithreaded CPU transcoding or something but still well below your max temps.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

That's fine. Realtemp gave you per-core measurements. Some measuring tools like HWiNFO also give a "CPU" die/package reading which isn't as accurate, but you have the right numbers there.

I'd try to keep maximum core temps under 80C in max IBT if at all possible as you'll never see anything that high in normal usage. The closest temperatures might be during multithreaded CPU transcoding or something but still well below your max temps.

Thanks again - makes a bit more sense to me now. I suppose I'll start trying to slowly increment up and test to see how much further I can go without going much higher on full load.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So for extreme cooling like liquid nitrogen or phase change, would it be possible to eliminate condensation with just a medium sized fan pointing at the offending areas? Condensation will still form but it should evaporate pretty quickly from the constant moving air. Seems a lot less messier than petroleum jelly and other oil based coatings.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a question. I have one of those Steam Machine beta units, and eventually (Skylake-ish?) I'll need to upgrade the processor. My question is how I can do any sort of good cooling or water cooling. I've never worked in anything this small or with water. Here's what I'm working with:

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have a question. I have one of those Steam Machine beta units, and eventually (Skylake-ish?) I'll need to upgrade the processor. My question is how I can do any sort of good cooling or water cooling. I've never worked in anything this small or with water. Here's what I'm working with:

A water block with the radiator outside the case is the only option I can imagine.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

The ML07 fits a single 120mm rad with thin fans IIRC. Also the case has surprisingly good airflow, so you can get healthy overclocks if you use a low profile CPU cooler like the Heligon (NT06-Pro).

deimos fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 10, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Oh ok, I can live with an external radiator. As long as I have a small case to cart between my TV and my computer desk I'm good. Water cooling would also be possible for my GPU by adding it to the loop too correct?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'd love to see a high end steam box with the same form factor but custom mainboard, PSU and watercooling. Something thats extremely well space optimized.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Okay - so I tried to continue to step it up. Went to 4.3Ghz @ 1.25V. Ran ITB a few times and temps never got over 75*C. Went to go play Wildstar, about 30 minutes in, I BSOD'd.

Now, from what I've been told about overclocking is you step up the multiplier, test, repeat, and then when you BSOD you up the voltage. I can't find anywhere in what increments to step up voltage. I went up to 1.27V after the BSOD and haven't run into anything just yet. The core temps while playing Wildstar are hovering around 50*C.

How do I increment voltage? At what point do I finally decide that I've hit a wall?

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

lovely pic but just transplanted my computer into the new case. Reduced my IBT temps by about 7 degrees, which I'm ecstatic about. I wasn't sure how much if any difference I'd see. Perhaps now with a better cooler and lapping I can use those few degrees to bump it up a notch. My focus now will be watercooling that gpu and see how much I can overclock that, and figuring out how to unlock the voltage on it since I failed once already.

Never cared much about looks, especially inside, but it is pleasing when pieces I put together over months happen to have the same black/red color scheme by pure luck. Although its kind of hard to see there, especially the motherboard red heat sink spam and the MSI card. And all except for the blue ram lol

It's overall quieter except for the CPU pump is clearly louder. I have no idea why that would be :confused:

DirtyTalk posted:

Okay - so I tried to continue to step it up. Went to 4.3Ghz @ 1.25V. Ran ITB a few times and temps never got over 75*C. Went to go play Wildstar, about 30 minutes in, I BSOD'd.

Now, from what I've been told about overclocking is you step up the multiplier, test, repeat, and then when you BSOD you up the voltage. I can't find anywhere in what increments to step up voltage. I went up to 1.27V after the BSOD and haven't run into anything just yet. The core temps while playing Wildstar are hovering around 50*C.

How do I increment voltage? At what point do I finally decide that I've hit a wall?

Edit: I seriously mistyped here, do not increase by 0.10v lol -
0.010 is the "fast" route. 0.005 is recommended. I always use 0.010 though...

It sounds like you'll hit a thermal limit before voltage limit so I'd increase it and test stability until your IBT is in the mid 80's and stop there.

edit: and I forgot to say, 1.30 is a somewhat conservative voltage limit, 1.35 is "pushing" it (but honestly, imo, fine), most people dont go over 1.36-1.37 for 24/7 use. You can go all the way up to 1.45 or so before you can expect quick death but it is bad for it.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 10, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

It's overall quieter except for the CPU pump is clearly louder. I have no idea why that would be :confused:

Air bubble, run your system flat (mobo down) for a while.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

deimos posted:

Air bubble, run your system flat (mobo down) for a while.

Oh thanks, I'll do that

edit: it is very odd. its all the same noises I'm used to, just louder. I wonder if it's resonating through the case through these particular standoffs.

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 10, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Is there any significant downside to running a Hyper 212 with the fan sucking instead of blowing, as seen in these pictures of the SilverStone Temjin TJ08e case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cardboard Box A posted:

Is there any significant downside to running a Hyper 212 with the fan sucking instead of blowing, as seen in these pictures of the SilverStone Temjin TJ08e case?

Going off of this post it doesn't look like using a fan to pull air through it instead of pushing has very much difference in overall cooling:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1199135/hyper-212-testing-push-vs-pull-vs-push-pull-also-horizontal-vs-vertical-positioning

quote:

Push using 2000RPM Blademaster
Ambient Temperature: 23.2
CPU Temperature: 61, 57, 55, 59
Average Core Temperature: 58
Temperature Over Ambient: 34.8

Pull using 2000RPM Blademaster
Ambient Temperature: 23.3
CPU Temperature: 61, 57, 55, 58
Average Core Temperature: 57.75
Temperature Over Ambient: 34.45

Push using 2500RPM Sickleflow