Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that I have admired guys like Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great just for the sheer amount of genius they displayed in obtaining what they wanted. Caesar especially since he started pretty lowly and was able to reach the pinnacle of Roman authority before murdered by a corrupt senate that was upset that their false republic was falling apart. That and Caesar was also smart enough to get the common people on his side that it made him always look like the good guy.

Caesar was born into a semi-prominent Patrician family that traced it's line back to Aeneas, his father the Governor of one of the eastern provinces and his mother from an prominent family. Then his family ties kept him from getting killed in the Marius/Sulla fight. Which isn't to play down his rise to Totally Not King, but dude didn't start from the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Marius's wife was a sister of Caesar's father, while Sulla's first wife was a first cousin of Caesar's father. Caesar was in a pretty darn well-connected family.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 5, 2014

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
Hitler was a monster not because solely of the number of the victims but because of the intention. Just a perspective to you guys comparing who is history's greatest villains. Tamerlane was also brutal and monstrous but no single villain in history actually carried out a plan to wipe out certain people purely out of spite and actually had a chance of succeeding, other than Hitler. Genghis didn't go to his generals "Go forth and kill ALL of these motherfuckers because I hate them". It was more like "go and grab loot, people, whatever useful and do whatever you feel like with the rest". They never had meetings on calculating the most efficient, effective way to eradicate millions of people simply because they want them to stop existing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

wid posted:

Hitler was a monster not because solely of the number of the victims but because of the intention. Just a perspective to you guys comparing who is history's greatest villains. Tamerlane was also brutal and monstrous but no single villain in history actually carried out a plan to wipe out certain people purely out of spite and actually had a chance of succeeding, other than Hitler. Genghis didn't go to his generals "Go forth and kill ALL of these motherfuckers because I hate them". It was more like "go and grab loot, people, whatever useful and do whatever you feel like with the rest". They never had meetings on calculating the most efficient, effective way to eradicate millions of people simply because they want them to stop existing.
There was also the dekulakization policy and the Holodomor under Stalin, which together killed somewhere between 5 and 15 million and imprisoned or exiled millions more. There's debate over the extent to which the Holodomor was intentional or targeted, but dekulakization was a stated, detailed policy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gyges posted:

Caesar was born into a semi-prominent Patrician family that traced it's line back to Aeneas, his father the Governor of one of the eastern provinces and his mother from an prominent family. Then his family ties kept him from getting killed in the Marius/Sulla fight. Which isn't to play down his rise to Totally Not King, but dude didn't start from the bottom.
Yeah that is true, I guess I still fall for the exaggeration of his rise in power. Guy really knew how to write propaganda.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Gunka no Balzer 23 is up.

:smith:

If you remember how last chapter ended... well, then you can guess what happened in this one.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

drat that's quite a downer

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Gyges posted:

Yeah but whilst he ultimately wasn't purged he was left the head of the family at age 16 and then had essentially all his inheritance confiscated by Sulla. He had one powerful political ally when he started off, his mother who saved him from getting purged, but that was about it on that front. One of the largest balancing acts in his career was between keeping his political career going whilst satisfying the money lenders who were funding it. Towards the end it was maintaining his immunity from prosecution to keep the entire hedifice he built up from tumbling down.

So yeah, he didn't start a plebe but he was very much towards the bottom of the nobility ladder.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Paracelsus posted:

There was also the dekulakization policy and the Holodomor under Stalin, which together killed somewhere between 5 and 15 million and imprisoned or exiled millions more. There's debate over the extent to which the Holodomor was intentional or targeted, but dekulakization was a stated, detailed policy.

There's a massive difference between some regime going "kill these guys, put that into law" and one that went "get some engineers to create infrastructure to move these guys around, and factories to kill and process corpses to maximum optimal number of deaths". The Nazi didn't just go "we hate Jews we kill them rar" there were lots of meetings on how to kill the most of them like a group of people discussing the logistics and budgets of building a hotel. They actually made factories for killing people. Stalin was more concerned about keeping his grip on power than deliberate genocide. The Nazi didn't have to kill all the Jews and other minorities. They could just drove them off like all conquerors in the past did when there's a ton of people they didn't want around. It's more cost efficient. But no, they wanted to ensure those people are killed.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Munin posted:

So yeah, he didn't start a plebe but he was very much towards the bottom of the nobility ladder.

Caesar had a great name though. Just being from the Julia family opened way more doors to him that were never accessible to someone like Crassus who had to force his way up the political chain while Caesar was a wiz kid. But to be fair, neither Crassus or Caesar would have had such success if it weren't for Marius and Sulla's purges. The purges the two instigated cleared out so many Patrician families that it made the cursus honorum wide open for exploitation.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 10, 2014

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The Heroic Legend of Arslan has been updated

http://readms.com/r/arslan/10/2417/1

coathat
May 21, 2007

That's like two months behind the real release. http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/the-heroic-legend-of-arslan/volumes

Don't read lovely scanlation a of licensed manga.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Huh I must have missed it, on the plus side I have two more chapters to read now

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Nobunaga's Chef
Did future pastry chef just poison Nobunaga with a nut allergy?

Tiger Shark
Oct 2, 2013

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

New Nobunaga's Chef
Did future pastry chef just poison Nobunaga with a nut allergy?

I believe nutmeg is hallucinogenic in large quantities. Note that he was urged to have four at once, while no one else consumed as much. He's just having an unexpected trip.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is eumenes in historie king eumenes 2?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Tiger Shark posted:

I believe nutmeg is hallucinogenic in large quantities. Note that he was urged to have four at once, while no one else consumed as much. He's just having an unexpected trip.

Yup. It's also reportedly a very unpleasant high. Very rarely used recreationally because the trip is not worth the side effects; I've heard of nausea and killer headaches, but I'm sure there's more. According to his autobiography, Malcolm X used to get high on nutmeg tea in prison when he couldn't get his hands on anything better.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

caberham posted:

Is eumenes in historie king eumenes 2?

No. It is Eumenes of Cardia.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Not sure if this was posted yet, but Ad Astra - Scipio to Hannibal is about Hannibal (the elephant dude). Seems like it's updated monthly.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Carthaginians being a bunch of white guys is pretty off-putting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The Carthaginians being a bunch of white guys is pretty off-putting.

Well, Carthage was founded by Phoenicians, which were Semitic.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Otoyomegatari, once again :nws: on account of the naked ladies

I assume Shirin's name is a reference to the tale of Khosrow and Shirin, which seems to be a very widely-known legend in Persia, in which Khosrow falls in love with Shirin after stumbling upon her bathing.

edit: oops forgot a page, updated comic link

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 5, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That cat's face. :catstare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Grumpycat has made his manga debut

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Man you weren't kiddin' :stare:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Grumpycat has made his manga debut

Man you weren't kiddin' :stare:

There's a very real chance the artist's hand is acting up and in the time it takes to draw one panel of clothing she can draw 15-20 panels of bathhouse tits. It's almost like this is her version of taking a sabbatical.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I assume Shirin's name is a reference to the tale of Khosrow and Shirin, which seems to be a very widely-known legend in Persia, in which Khosrow falls in love with Shirin after stumbling upon her bathing.

Otoyomegatari Thread: Shirin's Boobs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Impressive chapter.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

That cat's face. :catstare:

That cat is loving fantastic.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

What kind of cat is that?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Persian

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

It is so pretty :allears:, would have like more crazy carpets and elaborate costumes though.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I can't be the only one here who reads The Ravages of Time. Can I?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I wanted to get into it but the early scans are awful that I just couldn't. Like hell the setting is the reason I wanted to but goddamn.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

boredsatellite posted:

I wanted to get into it but the early scans are awful that I just couldn't. Like hell the setting is the reason I wanted to but goddamn.

Try and push through the first hundred chapters or so - the rest is better in every way (translation, story and art).

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I probably will do but it's just on my backlog and my backlog just keeps on increasing. I blame the recent Shoujo binge reading I just did

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
For anyone interested, Kaoru Mori is the Guest of Honor in Animecon XI in Kuopio, Finland. It's this weekend and at least I'm one goon who's attending. If there are any questions you'd like to ask her, use the form on that site. I'll try to give a comprehensive report afterwards. Sadly, Mori has forbidden all photographs during her sessions, but I hope there are some good cosplays at least.

Funny thing. I'd completely sworn off these cons already, but as soon as I heard Mori ws coming, I bought the ticket immediately.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
It's been a bit, but has anyone mentioned what the Narwhal horns were for in the latest Vinland Saga. Leif makes a deal about how the horns will prove how serious Thorfinn is but I couldn't find any historical uses for the horns other then magical cups said to neutralize any poison.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Probably something related to trading

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

It's been a bit, but has anyone mentioned what the Narwhal horns were for in the latest Vinland Saga. Leif makes a deal about how the horns will prove how serious Thorfinn is but I couldn't find any historical uses for the horns other then magical cups said to neutralize any poison.

They are just merchandize. He wants to see if Thorfinn is able to trade his way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

That use was more than enough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narwhal

Wikipedia posted:

Some medieval Europeans believed narwhal tusks to be the horns from the legendary unicorn. As these horns were considered to have magic powers, such as neutralising poison and curing melancholia, Vikings and other northern traders were able to sell them for many times their weight in gold. The tusks were used to make cups that were thought to negate any poison that may have been slipped into the drink.