Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012
http://phys.org/news/2014-06-world-forest-species.html

What a list to be on

quote:

The ten countries that lost the most forest area between 1990 and 2010 were Brazil, Indonesia, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Democratic Republic of Congo, Myanmar, Bolivia, Venezuela and Australia, it said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I still want terms I can use for elected officials that carry no connotations of respect, because this lot doesn't deserve any.

Nuffies

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This thread is the best place to learn slag. First it was 'budgie smuggler' and today it's 'nong'.

I love this thread.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...0609-39t93.html

quote:

Tony Abbott is seeking a conservative alliance among "like-minded" countries, aiming to dismantle global moves to introduce carbon pricing, and undermine a push by US President Barack Obama to push the case for action through forums such as the G20.

Visiting Ottawa for a full day of talks with the conservative Canadian Prime Minister and close friend Stephen Harper, Mr Abbott flagged intentions to build a new centre-right alliance led by Canada, Britain and Australia along with India and New Zealand.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper both say there is no need for carbon pricing to combat climate change.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper both say there is no need for carbon pricing to combat climate change. Photo: Andrew Meares
All five Commonwealth countries now have "centre-right"-leaning governments but it is Mr Abbott's personal and philosophical closeness to Mr Harper that the Prime Minister regards as most important.

The combined front would attempt to counter recent moves by the Obama administration to lift the pace of climate change abatement via policies such as a carbon tax or state-based emissions trading. It is a calculated attempt to push back against what both leaders see as a left-liberal agenda in favour of higher taxes, unwise interventions to address global warming, and an unhealthy attitude of state intervention.

Mr Abbott's first visit to the US has begun on a shaky note after he characterised Mr Obama’s new push to reduce carbon pollution as a copy of ''direct action'' being pursued in Australia. Mr Abbott is due in New York on Monday local time.

Speaking at a media conference on Tuesday from the Canadian capital Ottawa along-side the anti-carbon tax prime minister Stephen Harper, Mr Abbott said the he was encouraged at the new US approach of requiring coal-fired power stations to cut emissions by 30 per cent by 2030, because it did not place a price on carbon but used regulation to cut pollution.

''We think that climate change is a significant problem, it’s not the only or even the most important problem the world faces but it is a significant problem and its important every country should take the action that it thinks is best to address emissions,'' he said.

''I am encouraged that President Obama is taking what I would regard as direct action measure to reduce emissions, this is very similar to the action my government proposes in Australia.''

He said it was import that policies to address output did not ''clobber the economy'' while not helping the environment.

The comments were immediately backed up by Canada with Mr Harper declaring there was no chance of any country acting for the planet if it involved costs to its economy.

''It's not that we don't seek to deal with climate change,'' he said.

''We seek to deal with it in a way that enhances our ability to create jobs and growth, this is their position.

''No country is going to take actions that are going to deliberately harm jobs and growth in their country, we are just a bit more frank about that than other countries.''

The uncompromising attitude of both leaders suggests neither is inclined to yield to pressure from the US to revive the issue of climate change ahead of next years’ climate summit, nor back any international coordination such as additional regulations or a trading scheme.

Last week, Mr Obama flagged regulatory changes aimed at influencing US states to adopt aggressive market interventions to address global warming - a move that has attracted criticism on the right that Mr Obama is acting now only because he is not seeking re-election.

US officials have also been pushing Australia - so far unsuccessfully - to include climate change on the agenda for November's G20 meeting in Brisbane.

In a statement certain to raise eyebrows in the US, Mr Abbott, who is to meet Mr Obama in the White House later this week, underlined his opposition to carbon pricing. ''There is no sign - no sign - that trading schemes are increasingly being adopted,'' he said. ''If anything, trading schemes are being discarded, not adopted.''

Before leaving Australia, Mr Abbott said the G20 summit in November was primarily about economics and the United Nations was the place to discuss climate change.

''I'd be surprised if climate change doesn't come up as part of the G20,'' he said, though climate change will figure in discussions about energy efficiency.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten took aim at the Prime Minister's ''flat-Earth views'', accusing him of being out of touch with Australians and world leaders such as Mr Obama. He told Fairfax Media that climate change was ''not just an economic issue, it is a security issue and it is absolutely an economic issue''.

But Mr Shorten said that Mr Obama, along with other world leaders, had clearly recognised that clean air, low pollution and new technologies would be good for the global economy and job creation.

He said Mr Abbott ''shouldn't shirk the issue when he meets President Obama later this week, and he shouldn't shirk the issue at the G20 later this year''.

While mooted as a potential member of Mr Abbott's new coalition, British Prime Minister David Cameron has been vocal about the need to tackle climate change, describing it in February as ''one of the most serious threats that the world faces''. Britain, through membership of the European Union, and New Zealand both have emissions trading schemes in place.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Abbott doing dumb things is amusing and it's more newsworthy than the latest Kardashian outfit. Stop being killjoys and sucking the fun out of everything.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
What a massive piece of poo poo. Undermining climate change action is flat-out one of the most irrational and short-sighted things you can do at this point in history

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

quote:

it's not that we don't seek to deal with climate change

Uh-huh. I defer to my man FDR here.

http://youtu.be/S3RHnKYNvx8

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Only Tones would say "Job creation is more important than having a planet that we can live on.". Now he's campaigning for the Republicians in the US to help his mates in big oil.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Vladimir Poutine posted:

What a massive piece of poo poo. Undermining climate change action is flat-out one of the most irrational and short-sighted things you can do at this point in history
"I'll be dead before it really effects me" - most Baby Boomers

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

CrazyTolradi posted:

Only Tones would say "Job creation is more important than having a planet that we can live on.". Now he's campaigning for the Republicians in the US to help his mates in big oil.

Thats just lip service. He knows full well that his rich mates are pretty well placed to cope with the worst effects of climate change. They're rich so rising food prices wont be a problem, private security will deal with those uppity poors when they start rioting, they can afford to buy a new house in a cooler region less prone to uncomfortable heatwaves or one less vulnerable to sea level rises.

In short, climate change is a problem for the poors, the rich have the means to deal with it already so why would old mate Tones back something that hurts his constituents to fix something that in their minds doesn't need to be fixed that urgently?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Rik Mayall is dead :(

quote:

Edmondson added: "There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.

They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard."

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 9, 2014

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Saw this on twitter, good way to wake up

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

Thats just lip service. He knows full well that his rich mates are pretty well placed to cope with the worst effects of climate change. They're rich so rising food prices wont be a problem, private security will deal with those uppity poors when they start rioting, they can afford to buy a new house in a cooler region less prone to uncomfortable heatwaves or one less vulnerable to sea level rises.

In short, climate change is a problem for the poors, the rich have the means to deal with it already so why would old mate Tones back something that hurts his constituents to fix something that in their minds doesn't need to be fixed that urgently?

It's all good, they'll be able to live on the sea on floating retirement paradise cities: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-10/an-plans-for-floating-microcountries-with-27start-up27-govern/5511500

Also, in regards to renewables: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-10/snowtown-wind-farm-locals-support/5511396

Local communities supporting a wind farm, who'd have thought maybe people might want to not totally poo poo up the planet (I guess there's also the nice payments they get for having them on their land too)?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

New Zealand, India and UK are all likely to tell australia and canada to gently caress off on the topic of climate change.

The UK and NZ , under conservative govts, have both introduced ETS systems and are adamant about tackling the issue, and India is a country desparate to stop climate change as it has an immense amount to lose.

Abbot and Harper are loving delusional and Tonys going to absolutely disgrace our international standing.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

duck monster posted:

New Zealand, India and UK are all likely to tell australia and canada to gently caress off on the topic of climate change.

The UK and NZ , under conservative govts, have both introduced ETS systems and are adamant about tackling the issue, and India is a country desparate to stop climate change as it has an immense amount to lose.

Abbot and Harper are loving delusional and Tonys going to absolutely disgrace our international standing.

I hope you're right, particularly about India, since they have an enormous population base.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I hope you're right, particularly about India, since they have an enormous population base.

Yeah, although its the UK thats the 'superpower' of sorts amongst the commonwealth nations, despite having a population only a few times larger than ours.

I think Abbot will find his demented version of US style conservatism does not have the friends amongst the world conservative movement, outside the US tea party and perhaps Canada , that he thinks it might.

And Canada, if my understanding of polling there is correct, seems itching to throw their idiot out as well.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I don't think the union royal commission was intended to start like this.

Bruce Wilson has stated he was offered $200k for dirt on Julia Gillard.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
By who?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Jon Faine on ABC Radio is reporting political dynamite that there was a conspiracy to get Gillard by paying off his ex-boyfriend with $200,000 to make up stories and lie about who paid for her house. He says the name of the lawyer who was doing it, but not who was backing it - the implication is it was either other members of the Union side (who may have been working for Rudd's benefit) or the Murdoch Press (who may have been working for Abbott's benefit).

The Royal Commission has no terms of reference to investigate, and if it was the Murdoch Press, I predict they never will.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
:siren: Adelaide Goons :siren:

For those of you who don't have Facebook, a few of us are planning to do drinks at The Coffee Pot this Thursday at 6:30pm.

Bomb-Bunny
Mar 4, 2007
A true population explosion.

Comstar posted:

Jon Faine on ABC Radio is reporting political dynamite that there was a conspiracy to get Gillard by paying off his ex-boyfriend with $200,000 to make up stories and lie about who paid for her house. He says the name of the lawyer who was doing it, but not who was backing it - the implication is it was either other members of the Union side (who may have been working for Rudd's benefit) or the Murdoch Press (who may have been working for Abbott's benefit).

The Royal Commission has no terms of reference to investigate, and if it was the Murdoch Press, I predict they never will.

Is it to much to trust that, having appointed a rigid legal conservative might backfire on them? I don't know (based on a reading of his career) how much Heydon prizes his independence, but is there even a gnats ball of a chance that he turns around and launches a rigorous investigation of everything brought up?

The answer is no, isn't it.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

duck monster posted:

And Canada, if my understanding of polling there is correct, seems itching to throw their idiot out as well.

Canadians have, on the whole, wanted Harper gone since he was first elected. It's just they have FPTP in a non-two-party system which is totally loving them up.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Other kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Captain Pissweak posted:

Canadians have, on the whole, wanted Harper gone since he was first elected. It's just they have FPTP in a non-two-party system which is totally loving them up.

We warned hookshot about splits

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Captain Pissweak posted:

Yup, this is true.

He has a majority government while getting 39% of the vote last election

:suicide:

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I heard your PM on the CBC blathering about how great Harper was, and I was so repulsed I had to change the station. I don't think I've ever hated a foreign head of state so much before.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Sidakafitz posted:

I heard your PM on the CBC blathering about how great Harper was, and I was so repulsed I had to change the station. I don't think I've ever hated a foreign head of state so much before.

That's the correct response.

Abbott is to Australia, as Harper is to Canadia.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Sidakafitz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3IaKVmkXuk

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

If the LNP had any sense, they wouldn't allow Tones to speak publically at all ever. He is literally their own worst enemy. I'm sure everyone on his overseas trips is thinking, "Wow, what a dickhead." whenever he opens his mouth. Maybe they should send him to an acting tutor to at least try to make him seem part human?

How long before Tones starts to tell the US they're bullies for force climate change action on everyone? I mean, you wouldn't think he'd do it, but this is Tony we're talking about here.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.
Abbott on climate change: Anyone else see the irony in the Canadian flag tag for this thread post the Harper speech?

Question for Tony: With May 2014 CO2ppm at 401.88 and not just increasing (at 2.07ppm pa) but accelerating; and a debt to GDP stabilized at around 20% to 30% how do you declare a budget emergency but not a climate emergency?

Obama posted:

Look, it’s frustrating when the science is in front of us. ... We can argue about how. But let’s not argue about what’s going on. The science is compelling. ... The baseline fact of climate change is not something we can afford to deny. And if you profess leadership in this country at this moment in our history, then you’ve got to recognise this is going to be one of the most significant long-term challenges, if not the most significant long-term challenge, that this country faces and that the planet faces. The good news is that the public may get out ahead of some of their politicians.
Source: Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/forecas...l#ixzz34BuU4bUv

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
This post has attracted the greatest load of retards ever knocking Abbott. None have the brains to work out his sincerity and policies.

Can you people tell me where Labor improved our economy please? NO ONE else has come within a bulls roar. The FACT is when Labor came to power our Govt Net Debt was $39B in the black, today its $256B in the RED, this is a turnaround of over a quarter of a Trillion Dollars. The die hard Labor people scream they saved us from the GFC, BULLSHIT. By Wayne Swans admission on Treasury figures it cost $60B, half of that was WASTE with the BER, Bats, failed Green schemes etc. So they had that in the bloody Bank left by Costello so where the hell did a quarter of a Billion dollars go. Look, one thing I would like to point out is no one has any idea of what a BILLION is in value.

The new Adelaide Hospital is going to cost $1.8 Billion and take a zillion years to pay for it. The largest ship in the world, the Oasis of the Seas cost $1 Billion, The Denmark to Sweden link cost a staggering $4 Billion, the MASSIVE three Gorges Dam cost $23 Billion. The twin railway tunnels under the Swiss Alps going for the last 12 years is up to $10 Billion, what the gently caress did Gillard and Rudd do with Quarter of a Trillion Bucks in SIX FUCKINGYEARS? Its a HUMOUNGEOUS amount of money.

I :love: you youtube comments. :allears:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
"No one here understands what a billion dollars is!"

*uses zillion as representative of a number unironically, farts*

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-10/berg-coalition-in-murky-waters-in-hunt-for-online-pirates/5511524

I'm confused, an IPA article that contradicts potential LNP policy? Am I reading the article correctly?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
The IPA are libertarian idiots and probably consume most of their media by torrenting content, hth.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

The IPA are libertarian idiots and probably consume most of their media by torrenting content, hth.

Totally puts it in perspective. I mean, the article is pretty much spot on and how I feel on torrenting, but it's the only thing I think I could ever agree on with a libertarian. But apart from that, I'm a dirty unionist who believes in a minimum wage and IR regulation and worker protections.

I remember TPG used to forward those notices on to me, and I'd generally just reply and tell them there is no legal basis for the notice under Australian law and if the copyright holder wishes to take me to court, they're more than welcome to do so.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

That gem made its way into the Canada thread today too.

Everyone gets to learn how much of a shithead Tony Abbott is when he goes overseas!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm surprised we haven't had more canadians drop by.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Captain Pissweak posted:

Regardless of what you think of the author, the article is bang on the money in just about every respect.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This post has attracted the greatest load of retards ever knocking Abbott. None have the brains to work out his sincerity and policies.

Can you people tell me where Labor improved our economy please? NO ONE else has come within a bulls roar. The FACT is when Labor came to power our Govt Net Debt was $39B in the black, today its $256B in the RED, this is a turnaround of over a quarter of a Trillion Dollars. The die hard Labor people scream they saved us from the GFC, BULLSHIT. By Wayne Swans admission on Treasury figures it cost $60B, half of that was WASTE with the BER, Bats, failed Green schemes etc. So they had that in the bloody Bank left by Costello so where the hell did a quarter of a Billion dollars go. Look, one thing I would like to point out is no one has any idea of what a BILLION is in value.

The new Adelaide Hospital is going to cost $1.8 Billion and take a zillion years to pay for it. The largest ship in the world, the Oasis of the Seas cost $1 Billion, The Denmark to Sweden link cost a staggering $4 Billion, the MASSIVE three Gorges Dam cost $23 Billion. The twin railway tunnels under the Swiss Alps going for the last 12 years is up to $10 Billion, what the gently caress did Gillard and Rudd do with Quarter of a Trillion Bucks in SIX FUCKINGYEARS? Its a HUMOUNGEOUS amount of money.

I :love: you youtube comments. :allears:

Oh really?

Well first of all if you mean thread then yes I agree - the centre of this thread is out in Water-mellon land. But if you mean to come and defend Tony on climate change then well you really shouldn't - because its rather implausible.

As far as your actual post goes - well: Losing $300bn in the space of 6 years when government expenditure was around $300bn pa and GDP was $1.2tn to $1.5tn. That amounts to around 14% of government expenditure pa or around 3% of GDP. So yes deficits were run - but why? Where did the money go you ask? Did you look at the budget papers to find out? I mean you don't have to look very hard - the answer is in budget paper No1 for each of the years.

The answer is here (you can look it up to confirm and I wouldn't want to spoil the discovery process for you):

Growth in GDP and government revenue failed to meet forecasts, meanwhile in a shrinking economy the Federal Government continued with pre-GFC tax cuts and expenditure levels to stimulate the economy and minimise the short term social impact of any recession (which was being touted as a potential depression at the time) and as a result created a structural deficit.

Now is that a bad thing? Well it is if you require a balanced budget year on year regardless of the economic cycle. Do you? Is that your policy? I'd like to know? I don't love youtube comments though. I don't post on youtube.

But it's ALP and Liberal policy to have balanced budgets taken over the entirety of the economic cycle. Now we have a modest 20% debt to GDP and almost full employment (well some regions suck and youth unemployment is hit hardest) but :australia: is in great shape compared to the rest of the world. So: What budget emergency? Well there is a case for a "budget emergency" but that's limited to the P&L - the need to get back to a balanced budget now the 'worst' is over. But what you can't do is sensibly argue for boom time fiscal policy to be applied in recessions.

As far as avoiding the worst of the GFC goes I agree mostly with your post. There, lack of economic diversity and lack of competition in banking led to the ability to absorb the worst of the GFC's international effects. Meanwhile a housing shortage in Sydney pegged the market and supported prices; while a mining boom stimulated economic growth.

As far as not knowing the difference between billions and zillions goes - yes guilty. But I suggest you don't know the difference between additional and changes to budget measures (Paper No2) and recurring programs and total budget position (paper no 1) in order to understand what a billion dollars is in the context of overall government expenditure and the economy as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Hypation for your own sake I hope your post was ironic.

e: though it is still a technically good post I guess kind of.

• Locked thread