Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
A bunch of new events are now available for ticketing, including mine!

Dungeon World, if you played with me last year you already did this:
https://gencon.com/events/65622
https://gencon.com/events/65623

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ritorix posted:

Signed up for your Thursday night slot.

Hopefully newbie players are okay -- I've run a few Dungeon World games, but my wife has only ever played a few RPG sessions. She loved what she's played of DW though.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Yeah it's definitely newbie friendly. I'll have character sheets ready and explain whats going on. You are both ahead of the game, most people last year had never touched DW.

Thursday is sold out already, still a few on Friday 1 for Thurs, 2 for Friday atm.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 9, 2014

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
In for Thursday! See you there!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh dude it is almost only two months away

Everyone get your final preparations for the spaceflight to Terra Prime for Gen-Con!!!!!!!!

You know what I was just thinking about earlier? How many things happened at Gen-Con 2008 that are never going to happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSBMkNzCl9I&t=12s

It really says a lot about gaming in general that I cannot imagine any other person ever actually having the kind of recognition/fan appreciation/fame that Gary Gygax did to actually engender gamers to take a moment of silence seriously.

Why is "Gary Gygax net worth" a default Google search? Particularly since none of the results seem to even approach that question.

And then there was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXX79kTdrJE&t=207s

Anyone who makes fun of Josh the Auctioneer because of this clip will get mean glares from me forever just so you know

Also I just found this and this seems relevant to Traditional Games' interests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=espIQxIgtkc&t=194s

Wow there are like dozens of videos from every year of Gen-Con that have averaged like 4 views a year. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGES-lLSgHw
????????

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GenCon thread!

Last year was my first time. Highlights included:
• Spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on boardgames, then another hundred shipping them home!
• Getting really drunk, smoking a blunt with some random dude, then trading shirts with him!
• Playing Archipelago with some cool goons!
• Shrimp cocktail at St Elmo's!
• Playing in ritorex's DW game!
• TOVA! And chatting with Quarex, kilt and all!
• Seeing some random nerd sit down at the piano art installation outside the convention center and playing a frankly astonishing bit of Rachmaninov!
• The dealer room. Sweet Jesus, that fuckin' dealer room.

I live in Atlanta and have been going to DragonCon for decades and I am WAY more excited about GenCon.

I missed event reg again this year but there are still a handful of leftovers I'll probably sign up for; I'd like to try a Netrunner draft at the least. I had a blast last year with zero scheduled events just wandering around and playing pickup games. Kinda bummed the Pathfinder Beginner Box is all booked up though.

I also started a GenGoons GroupMe room last year which worked well for coordinating get-togethers and general poo poo talking; I'll start it back up this year if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

ritorix posted:

In for Friday!

There's still a lot of stuff open, so I'm adding a couple of events and a bunch of generics. It makes me sad that the only open Eclipse Phase event is brony bait.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ritorix posted:

Trying to sign up for your Friday event but I booked a ticket for the Ennies, it's saying that conflicts with yours, and I can't figure out a way to cancel my Ennies ticket so I can play in yours.

This website blows.

E: Apparently you have to email them even just to cancel a ticket to a free event. What the gently caress.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 11, 2014

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I wonder if you are missing something on there as I returned several tickets days after I bought them. You have to do it through "My Transactions" and hit return tickets there within the sale you originally purchased (or claimed for the free ones). If that doesn't work I think something else must be going on.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That's where I tried to go, and there was no option to do it - I found in the FAQ that they requested cancelation through written request only (IE, email.)

On the upside, they canceled it within 5 minutes of me emailing them. So yay, I get to play Dungeon World on Friday with goons!

Reverend Redglare
Jan 30, 2010

In for Friday as well! Never played Dungeon World, but I only hear great things about it.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Are people still up for a goon led downtown brewery tour? Does Thursday at 4pm work?

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

camoseven posted:

Are people still up for a goon led downtown brewery tour? Does Thursday at 4pm work?

Sounds perfect to me!

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

camoseven posted:

If I get shut out in the Netrunner tourney I'm down for this too.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Peas and Rice posted:

That's where I tried to go, and there was no option to do it - I found in the FAQ that they requested cancelation through written request only (IE, email.)

On the upside, they canceled it within 5 minutes of me emailing them. So yay, I get to play Dungeon World on Friday with goons!9

We were able to return some tickets using the transactions page yestarday. The FAQ said that it was a new feature this year but given past experiences with their website I wouldn't be at all suprised to hear it isn' working across the board.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I'm not overplanning this, right? :spergin:

Grey stuff a buddy is doing. Everything else is me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Haha. That looks like my calendar when it contains the events for all four of the people I regularly go with.

But I am biased because everyone I go with knows to leave Saturday afternoon/evening free for T.O.V.A. purposes. And then if it ends up on Friday instead poo poo GOES CRAZY no it has not been on Friday for four or five years I think, but you are still going to miss it in all likelihood!!!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

camoseven posted:

I am a fan of beer. Open to non-goons? I've got two others coming with me who also like beer.
Anyone have experience with the growler laws?

ritorix posted:

I'm not overplanning this, right? :spergin:

Grey stuff a buddy is doing. Everything else is me.

:stare: I've got 3-5 things scheduled.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
No idea if anyone is interested, but a buddy of mine had his events listed on the Gen*Con site, and I figured I'd show support, as I'm stuck on off-site ground crew due to some previous engagements. He's running a LARP one-shot that uses laser tag gear - it's post-apocalyptic, and has a decently solid ruleset behind it. Not technically a goon event, but I'd love it if some folks would give it a look. If anything, it's an excuse to shoot people with laser tag guns.

It's called "Here At The End", and there should be a good number of slots still open. I've had fun at events he's run before, so I can recommend his stuff, plus he's working on making sure it's a really polished product. I always hate shilling for events (especially because LARP is the perhaps the nerdiest form of gaming), but I kinda wanted to help the guy out.

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010

Ego Trip posted:

I am a fan of beer. Open to non-goons? I've got two others coming with me who also like beer.

Growler laws? Anywhere that brews onsite can sell growler fills, that's the only thing I'm aware of. You typically can't consume a growler etc on the premises; not sure if that's actually the law. You can bring growlers from another establishment with you and get them filled. If you're staying till Sunday, it's important to note that a growler is the only way to buy carryout beer that day.

There's plenty of places in Indy to get a fill; I'd recommend Flat 12 and Sun King. Fountain Square Brewery is good too if you have a car.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I put up a spread sheet for goons to coordinate meeting up if they found themselves with downtime that worked pretty well. I just recreated it, took out the old data and shared it so if you are going and have a schedule go ahead and add yourself. If you have the link you can edit/view but it isn't searchable on the web:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqiGU-iR_59KdDR3Z0V0OHlNWjIweUEtNDhCQ0tCOGc&usp=drive_web#gid=0

There was another mobile app thing a different goon set up that some people liked but not all (including myself). It didn't jive well with my aging phone and others had similar problems so this worked for us crappy phone/bad data plan people at a traditional games convention.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
Here's what my potential schedule looks like so far:

Definitely not close to finalized yet. Might lessen the MtG times and add some time for dicking around the dealer halls and poo poo, not to mention other events that I might add-on later.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ego Trip posted:

Yea anyone is welcome. Do you have specific questions about growlers? The other poster hit the highlights. Bars can do do growlers, too, but most don't, but the one I'm planning to go to does. We'll also hit at least 2 breweries that do growlers. Maybe 3 depending on timing.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

camoseven posted:

Yea anyone is welcome.

Cool, then I'm in.

camoseven posted:

Do you have specific questions about growlers? The other poster hit the highlights. Bars can do do growlers, too, but most don't, but the one I'm planning to go to does. We'll also hit at least 2 breweries that do growlers. Maybe 3 depending on timing.

Nah, just wanted to be sure it wasn't another Massachusetts.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Couple things:

I want to RP more, because I don't often have time at home. Is anyone running: Fate, Black Crusade, Mouse Guard, or L5R?

I also want to drink, so long liver, so tell me about getting a growler and getting poo poo faced with goons.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

camoseven posted:

Yea anyone is welcome. Do you have specific questions about growlers? The other poster hit the highlights. Bars can do do growlers, too, but most don't, but the one I'm planning to go to does. We'll also hit at least 2 breweries that do growlers. Maybe 3 depending on timing.

I am absolutely down for this if you guys don't mind having a slow-rear end cripple slowing you down.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Couple things:

I want to RP more, because I don't often have time at home. Is anyone running: Fate, Black Crusade, Mouse Guard, or L5R?

I also want to drink, so long liver, so tell me about getting a growler and getting poo poo faced with goons.

Don't forget to drink and game.

I have all the rpgs and I didn't sign up for much. I'd probably be down for some pickup games.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So I see the Gen Con messenger bag is out of stock. I like the look at the material. Anyone have any suggestions for a similar bag that can hold purchased games?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Any messenger or other bag will work as long as it is of a good size. Just don't bring a rolling bag and drag it around in the dealer hall or you will be suffocated to death in a bulk dice bin.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

WerrWaaa posted:

Couple things:

Games on Demand might be what your looking for as far as the RP goes. It's a great way to play more story-based systems that often don't have a lot of dedicated games being run.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GimpInBlack posted:

I am absolutely down for this if you guys don't mind having a slow-rear end cripple slowing you down.

Everyone is welcome!! There will be some walking from place to place, but no more than a half mile at a time I think.

I'll make an effort post sometime this week about Indy beer and where we'll be going.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I see the Gen Con messenger bag is out of stock. I like the look at the material. Anyone have any suggestions for a similar bag that can hold purchased games?
drat, this has to be the first time I bought something the moment I learned about it because I assumed it might disappear and I was actually right. Well that and hoarding Pokιmon cereal but then my parents threw the boxes out before I got the chance to resell them :(

Are both of them sold out, or just the deluxe one?

You would not think it would be hard for them to make more ... I mean, it did not have a year on it. It is obviously going to be a popular item for the foreseeable future.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

camoseven posted:

Everyone is welcome!! There will be some walking from place to place, but no more than a half mile at a time I think.

I'll make an effort post sometime this week about Indy beer and where we'll be going.

Cool, a half mile at a stretch is pretty well within my range.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

poo poo, didn't even think of bags.
I have a Gurren Lagann messenger bag, but it's kinda small, no way it would carry most of what I will probably inevitably buy.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Unrelated to anything, this is the best picture I can remember seeing of the crowd waiting the grand opening of the Exhibitor's Hall on Thursday morning:

Please, like you do not want to be
RIGHT THERE

Edit: Whoops, never quoted this message I had open on my other computer :haw:

Lawen posted:

GenCon thread!

Last year was my first time. Highlights included:
• Spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on boardgames, then another hundred shipping them home!
• Shrimp cocktail at St Elmo's!
• Playing in ritorex's DW game!
• TOVA! And chatting with Quarex, kilt and all!
• The dealer room. Sweet Jesus, that fuckin' dealer room.

I live in Atlanta and have been going to DragonCon for decades and I am WAY more excited about GenCon.

I also started a GenGoons GroupMe room last year which worked well for coordinating get-togethers and general poo poo talking; I'll start it back up this year if someone doesn't beat me to it.
These are all the things that simply must be discussed. Nothing against anything else you enjoyed, mind you.

I can summarize my bullet point responses easily: "WOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I doubt I will be able to bring my kilt this year. Though I also cut my hair like a normal person so I will be cosplaying as "guy with real job."

I have never heard of this GroupMe thing before but I actually have an Intelligent Telephone-Machine this year so I am intrigued.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 17, 2014

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

Unrelated to anything, this is the best picture I can remember seeing of the crowd waiting the grand opening of the Exhibitor's Hall on Thursday morning:

Please, like you do not want to be
RIGHT THERE

Edit: Whoops, never quoted this message I had open on my other computer :haw:

These are all the things that simply must be discussed. Nothing against anything else you enjoyed, mind you.

I can summarize my bullet point responses easily: "WOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I doubt I will be able to bring my kilt this year. Though I also cut my hair like a normal person so I will be cosplaying as "guy with real job."

I have never heard of this GroupMe thing before but I actually have an Intelligent Telephone-Machine this year so I am intrigued.

RIP in peace Quarex's hair. :angel:

The GroupMe set up last year was fantastic. Made it really easy to find people and set stuff up without having to load up SA on the glacial internet.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Ego Trip posted:

:stare: I've got 3-5 things scheduled.

I have 25 events scheduled :c00lbert:

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

ThaShaneTrain posted:

I have 25 events scheduled :c00lbert:

I have two, but it's because I was waiting for Pastimes to get their poo poo together and send out the schedule for Magic judges for the con.

Now that they've done that (with like 2 days of pre-registration left), I'm going to try to fill in some more space in my calendar.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
I have four scheduled events (Defiance in Phlan, Dolphins of Pern, Cards Against Humanity, Formula De Tourney). Most of the rest is either wandering (or, in Thursday's case, I wanna do the dealer hall rush) or generic ticket only events (i.e. Games on Demand, The Tower: Into the Nexus, anything involving M:tG).

All in all I'm getting ridiculously excited and it's still over 6 weeks out before I leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Getting ridiculously excited for Gen-Con is at least like 10% of the enjoyment I get out of the event proper every year.

And that is really awesome, given that I basically spend half the year in a state of Gen-Con Excitement(tm).

(The other half is Wasteland 2 Excitement)

• Locked thread