Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hel posted:

Isn't this system straight out of conviction/blacklist?

Not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This is a stupid thing to wish for, but you know what I wish? That not every enemy in the game was a dude. It's 2014, we can have women soldiers and women mercenaries and women mobsters.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So while playing last night I saw a little reputation meter thing. Is this a morality meter? I didn't see anything obvious that required high or low morality, not like the infamous games where it's obvious right off the bat. What's the point and what do you get for being super good/super bad?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

So while playing last night I saw a little reputation meter thing. Is this a morality meter? I didn't see anything obvious that required high or low morality, not like the infamous games where it's obvious right off the bat. What's the point and what do you get for being super good/super bad?

For being good you get less cops called on you; civs will look the other way when you kill people/cause havoc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Hel posted:

Isn't this system straight out of conviction/blacklist?

It's not the same engine- I think people saying this is a heavily modded AC engine are correct.

Also, it's not a morality meter- Aiden is always obsessed with "doing right" and "protecting his family". The vigilante stuff is a cover he has for finding the folks who killed his niece, which is also a convenient outlet for his rage. The meter's a reputation meter, and reflects how the public perceives Pierce- something he is manipulating to make his quest easier. Aiden shoots his way into and out of a jail in the second act- he doesn't really care about the law one way or the other, except in satisfying his vengeance boner.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 9, 2014

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Also, it's not a morality meter- Aiden is always obsessed with "doing right" and "protecting his family". The vigilante stuff is a cover he has for finding the folks who killed his niece, which is also a convenient outlet for his rage. The meter's a reputation meter, and reflects how the public perceives Pierce- something he is manipulating to make his quest easier. Aiden shoots his way into and out of a jail in the second act- he doesn't really care about the law one way or the other, except in satisfying his vengeance boner.

Okay, but other than the aforementioned 'people will be more lenient if they see him commit a crime' does it have any other affect on gameplay and/or the ending?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

khy posted:

Okay, but other than the aforementioned 'people will be more lenient if they see him commit a crime' does it have any other affect on gameplay and/or the ending?

There's a little thing during the credits/"epilogue" where they mention how citizens and even some cops are on your side. Occasionally the radio will mention you too.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

dogstile posted:

Its been mentioned like 16 posts up I think. Most do.

Tailing is poo poo tonight. Twice i've been spawned in on an open street and been killed before walking five feet. Three times i've spawned in a car that's sat in traffic and the guys grenade launchered the car before i've moved or been profiled. What the hells going on tonight?

I think what it is is now most people are paranoid and check the focus/pause menu to see if someone is in their game and then they just go on a killing spree or they've made lucky guesses.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

For online hacking the easiest place I have found so far to hide is inside any shop crouched behind the counter. For some reason people that eventually do end up going in the shop never look back there!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

The vigilante stuff is a cover he has for finding the folks who killed his niece

Do you mean the optional side missions like criminal convoys and crime prevention? Because that doesn't really make sense. Besides the fact that they're entirely optional and you could just beeline the story quests without building your rep at all, how are they providing cover? The only real in-game consequence is that civilians are less likely to call the cops on you, but even that is pretty silly because many of them will recognize you and literally take pictures of you on the street. The story doesn't really do much to build up Aiden as a justice seeker in any way.

Contrast this with Sleeping Dogs, where the protagonist is an undercover cop who can do optional cop missions to keep his cop cover and gang missions to keep his gang cover. That's perfectly sensible.

Discendo Vox posted:

Aiden shoots his way into and out of a jail in the second act- he doesn't really care about the law one way or the other, except in satisfying his vengeance boner.

You don't have to shoot anyone in that mission, which is a spoiler anyway. I did end up shooting one cop to get out, but you don't even have to do that - you can just run down into the parking garage, steal a car and drive away.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

eXXon posted:

You don't have to shoot anyone in that mission, which is a spoiler anyway. I did end up shooting one cop to get out, but you don't even have to do that - you can just run down into the parking garage, steal a car and drive away.

Doing the escape without shooting anybody is ridiculous, though. (At least on the highest difficulty.) It's a badly designed scene that basically requires you to kneecap a few people.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I got out without shooting anyone. Sprint straight for the stairs outside of the door and hop into any car and just drive.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So in regards to the tailing stuff, are you penalized in any way if someone else backdoors your phone or successfully tails you? Or why are they paranoid about finding out if you're doing it?

If you're penalized then the fact that you aren't normally notified when someone's tailing you would piss people off bigtime. If you're not penalized then why would people care that you're 'invading'?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Your rating will go down if you get hacked, but nothing happens to you at all if you get tailed. When your rating is high you get certain skill perks mostly related to online activities. You also get xp for regular game activities if you win or if you detect and kill the intruder.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Speedball posted:

Your rating will go down if you get hacked, but nothing happens to you at all if you get tailed. When your rating is high you get certain skill perks mostly related to online activities. You also get xp for regular game activities if you win or if you detect and kill the intruder.

I'm not far into the game at all yet but XP seems plentiful and easy to get. I've found skill points come easily in large quantities. Does this change later on?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

How does the multiplayer figure out how many notoriety points I can potentially win/loose when invading someone?

I seem to get a lot where I'll get a measly 80 points but potentially loose 400+.

Also, I caved on the Season Pass, and Conspiracy! is quite fun. Conspiracy doesn't outstay its welcome like Alone did (it was 4 generators too long).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Once I realized the difference between completely good guy paragon reputation and completely bad guy renegade reputation is meaningless I have been killing everyone all the time. It makes the game much more enjoyable.

Not completely, pedestrians will start calling cops on you for no reason and/or let you get away with more stuff depending on which way you lean. edit: beaten by a mile

I keep it on the good side and just keep murdering 911 callers until one's close enough to swat the phone away. gently caress police chases.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Croccers posted:

I got out without shooting anyone. Sprint straight for the stairs outside of the door and hop into any car and just drive.

Yeah I have played that both on normal and Realistic and never had to shoot anyone. Never underestimate the power of running like a bitch.

Actually, I have never killed any cops now that I think of it. Well, dirty ones in that One Level but they don't count.

Granted I have made an awful lot of them smash into barricades and exploding steam pipes so maybe I am just more indirect :v:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

leidend posted:

Not completely, pedestrians will start calling cops on you for no reason and/or let you get away with more stuff depending on which way you lean. edit: beaten by a mile

I keep it on the good side and just keep murdering 911 callers until one's close enough to swat the phone away. gently caress police chases.

Yeah but I don't really care about those things either. I am always swimming in jam coms plus when you are totally evil I can just shoot whoever is loving calling the cops. Plus I find police chases really really easy to beat. Plus running over people is satisfying as gently caress. Also gently caress the police *wu-tang*

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Speedball posted:

This is a stupid thing to wish for, but you know what I wish? That not every enemy in the game was a dude. It's 2014, we can have women soldiers and women mercenaries and women mobsters.

Yeah can we like, not have this poo poo up the thread. This always ends up making GBS threads up the thread.

Croccers posted:

Does it count as a "no shooting" if you use takedowns? It probably does but I can hope.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

beejay posted:

I've got to laugh at people that have little fortress areas they evidently hang out in all the time to win when they get invaded. Found one guy who was in some 3 sided shack that you had to get directly in front of to hack, and another who was on a tiny island that was inaccessible by car and he knew where I was hiding within seconds. Not sure how that is fun but ok! Just gotta move on to the next one.
On that note, how the HELL do you quit out of a tailing mission "before you have been profiled" like the loading screen suggests? I'm a big idiot who has not been able to find this when I start a tail and it plunks me down below an elevated highway with the target zooming away on top of it, and no entrance ramps for me anywhere nearby and I don't feel like relying on fast travel when they get 1k away, which will bring me to an isolated loading dock half the time if I use it. I wasn't seeing any extra options in the online contract selection, or online contract stats options in the smartphone.

Party Plane Jones posted:

For being good you get less cops called on you; civs will look the other way when you kill people/cause havoc.

My max reputation apparently means only eight out of ten people will call the cops when I steal their car, instead of ten out of ten. Does seem to have more of an impact on people not calling the cops just because I bumped R1 and flashed a silence pistol for half a second though.

vvv Well I guess people just loving hated me then, it happened at least twice when I started the game before I got real :tinfoil: about having my gun out when I didn't need to shoot someone until I maimed a few criminals with a stick.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 9, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Section Z posted:

My max reputation apparently means only eight out of ten people will call the cops when I steal their car, instead of ten out of ten. Does seem to have more of an impact on people not calling the cops just because I bumped R1 and flashed a silence pistol for half a second though.

I have the worst possible reputation and no one has ever called the cops on me for just having a gun out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

I have the worst possible reputation and no one has ever called the cops on me for just having a gun out.

I'm at max goodie goodie and I get people call the cops on me when I park cars in intersections and hide with my LMG out. But you know, most sane people would really. Pistols have never made people call the cops on me.

Funnily enough, the LMG person who called the cops on me was also the person who got shot in the stomach through a badguy. Funny how these things work.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

dogstile posted:

I'm at max goodie goodie and I get people call the cops on me when I park cars in intersections and hide with my LMG out. But you know, most sane people would really. Pistols have never made people call the cops on me.

Funnily enough, the LMG person who called the cops on me was also the person who got shot in the stomach through a badguy. Funny how these things work.

Huh its really weird. I do often holster my weapons when not using them but all the time I will forget and people will go "He's got a gun" and then the ambient crowd panic mp3 will play but people don't tend to call 911.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
I had the best possible reputation and nobody would call the cops on me for hacking. They'd only do something if I was waving my gun around in public. Strangely enough I could get into a fire fight with a gang in a criminal convoy or mission in the middle of the city and NOBODY would call the cops.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Undead Muppet posted:

I finished the story a few days ago, and overall I thought it was a pretty good story, even if some of the individual scenes were badly written and acted, and there being a few plot holes/weird logic near the end. It's also weird to me that everyone thinks Aiden is supposed to be thought of as heroic, when the game actually calls him out for being a bad person. The story is a neo-noir presenting a tale of corruption, greed, and selfishness with Aiden being the protagonist, but not the hero.

Full story spoilers ahead:

Aiden is a violent, alienated criminal who lives in a fantasy world in his own head where he recasts his actions as those of a heroic vigilante. It's implied that his father was an IRA terrorist whom Aiden idolized, and when he grew up to be like his father, his own mother told Aiden she was ashamed of what he had become. At the beginning of the game, Aiden is the bagman in a straight up robbery that goes wrong. Aiden's greed sets off the events that culminate in Lena's death.

Aiden has zero friends. Never once does he call on an old friend for help, or have any normal social contact at all. Everyone who helps him is either a hired mercenary (Jordi), strong-armed into it (T-bone, Bedbug), or helping him reluctantly out of guilt (Clara). By the end of the game he has no family either. His sister makes it clear that Aiden will no longer be a part of her life.

The most damning scene is when Aiden drops off Jackson at the psychologist's house after rescuing him from the Mafia restaurant. Aiden tries to get Jackson to buy into his hero fantasy by saying "You're like the Healer, [which makes me whatever is the equivalent of the warrior in this in-universe toy line]" and Jacks says "Yeah, except no, because this is real life." It's the equivalent of Aiden say "See Jackson, you're like young Robin, and I'm Batman trying to protect you" and Jacks replying "Yeah, except Batman is a fictional character, while you're a real person killing real people." Aiden can't even get a little kid to buy into his bullshit fantasy.

As for the overall story, it has the trappings of classic noir, where there's a resolution, but the world hasn't changed, and everyone is worse off than they were at the beginning of the story. Nicky has to start her life completely over and because of Aiden she has blood on her hands. Jacks is going to be traumatized after watching his uncle murder a dozen people. Clara is dead. T-bone will have to go on the run again, and if any civilians died during the CtOS outage, that will double down on the guilt he already felt from the deaths in the 2003 blackout. Jordi's favorite suit is probably ruined.

Also, the theme of corruption runs strong through the entire game. The Mayor scandal and his ties to the Mafia, the pending double crossing between the Viceroys and the Chicago South Club, CtOS engaging in domestic spying and experiments with brainwashing, Blume accepting money from Lucky Quinn to start the CtOS project. There's even literal corruption. The video at the center of the plot, and the data and HUD visual corruption caused by Default a later Damien. The game is even set in Chicago, a city infamous for corruption. Aiden is a corrupted version of real-world Batman. Nearly every element of the game is drenched in it.

Personally, I think Aiden is an interesting unlikable character, and the story was good if not necessarily well told.

And if you want to ignore the story entirely, then it's still a fun game with a lot to do, different ways to do almost everything, and somewhat innovative multiplayer that often results in entertainment even when you lose.

People who are mad at/can't follow the the story should really read the spoiler text. Undead Muppet is spot on, and that spoilered text should be moved to the first post for people who want to know what thes story's about, well done.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So I'm trying to knock out a couple more trophies before selling my copy and... are any of these Not Foursquare check in points tied to story progress or something? Because I'm at 99/100 and scouring every INCH of this map, not finding anything.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Huh its really weird. I do often holster my weapons when not using them but all the time I will forget and people will go "He's got a gun" and then the ambient crowd panic mp3 will play but people don't tend to call 911.

Yeah, it is rare, but it'll happen. Walk around with a gun out every now and then to test it, i'd be interested to see if the lowest rep makes people so scared that they won't do anything.

thepaladin4488
Oct 28, 2010
Police give no fucks, just a speed boost
https://youtu.be/W6zk1EwUFC0?t=43s

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Good rep doesn't help if people call the cops on someone shooting you, does it? Because I totally love this, max. rep, follow someone to get in range for a non-lethal takedown, end up with yet another stupid cop chase because someone was scared by the bad guy shooting at someone else (ie. me).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

khy posted:

When you get below like 50 percent on the negative side people will call the cops on you constantly because news flashes keep cropping up. Its obnoxious.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Moochewmoo posted:

I've lost 4 invasions now because Aiden can't pull his stupid loving face out of cover. The cover system is so completely hosed when you try and move around it is what I hate most about this game. When I pull the stick away from cover that means get out. Don't put an invisible God drat wall so I cant move around corners with out have to tap a button. Ubisoft makes the splinter cell games right? So why the gently caress can't they use that stealth system instead of this poo poo show.

You can unsnap from cover more reliably by pressing B/circle.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Croccers posted:

There's also a jump ramp on the opposite corner of the roof, so if you can reach a car without dying you can just launch off the building onto the street or metro tracks below.

leidend posted:

Can also just point a gun at someone (even with their back turned) and they'll put away the phone, but don't know the range on that.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I haven't been able to play the game for 4-5 days due to the 90% load bug. It's still listed on their known issues. I don't suppose there's something I've missed about a work around?

Strongly considering trying to get a refund, but I bought it through steam so I imagine the chances are fairly low.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
90% of one's time in this "hacking" game is spent driving cars. loving stupid.

I mean, couldn't they have tried something creative like make you ride in the backseat of taxis and do more active hacking to accomplish chases/discovery/getting around? Like, "sure, you can drive a car, but you get around SO much faster and more effectively if you utilize these advanced navigation/hacking features."

Hopefully Watch Dogs 2 doesn't suck.

ps. Multiplayer is fun, but not well-balanced. They really tried to make this game everything for everyone, and ended up making boxed mashed potatoes without butter.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

NESguerilla posted:

One thing this series is really going to need to work on in the future is stealth. Seriously MGS1 for the PSx had enemies that were 5 times smarter than the dudes in W_D. There is just no excuse for a game that emphasizes stealth in any to have enemies that dumb. Also, some of the items were just so drat overpowered in regards to stealth like the CTOS scan. it pretty much negates the need to even scout out an area, even though the game already has the modern mechanic of being able to see everyone through the walls once you look at them for 2 seconds.

Yeah, I could have just not used CTOS scan at all (and I didn't for most of the game) but they really shouldn't have put something that trivializes it so much in there. It's just bad.

What makes them dumb? Genuinely curious, I kinda like the watch dogs ai.

The CTOS scan doesn't negate scouting entirely, it doesn't reveal what kind of interactions you can have with a guard. There have been a few occasions where I used it, a few gang hideouts come to mind, places with ridiculous amounts of verticality. Mostly it just sits there and I scout, because scouting is fun. Always nice to just go ahead and raise the protectors before you come anywhere near the fight and figure out who you can blow up and who is a good reason to wish you hadn't gotten jam enemy comms.

Seriously I feel like I see a grenade once every two or three fights since I got the jam enemy comms option. Less explosions for double the battery bars? Don't mind if I do.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Had a fair amount of fun in multiplayer tonight.

Did a tail mission in a cemetary; guy must have figured I was there, I hid behind a gravestone while he was scouting around looking for me. Thanks to lots of corner-movement (Which is obnoxious in this game, I wish we would just automatically shift around corners when we press against them) I got the tail completed easily enough.

While I was there I noticed a mission and tried to start it, but NO! I WAS BEING INVADED! So I ducked down behind another gravestone and looked around. There was one guy running while everyone else was walking. Whip out the PDA, dash over the gravestone... BUSTED! HE tried to run for it but a few AK-47 rounds to the back stopped him.

Later I decided to hack some guy. Found him wandering around a sort of run-down area; hacked him then ducked into a parking lot and hid in one of the cars. He ran past the lot four or five times and every time I started sweating bullets thinking he was gonna find me, but he didn't and I got the 100%. I spent some skill points and was IMMEDIATELY invaded by some other guy. I ran around a bit and couldn't find him; I checked the parking lots, corners, etc. When the hack hit 50% I realized there was a big traffic jam that I didn't cause. I checked it out and right as it hit 65% I saw a little white ball in the seat of a car just BARELY visible over the steering wheel (His hat, as it turns out) near the intersection where the jam was.

Whipped out the M1014 and put 7 shells through the windshield. Better luck next time hacker!

How are the other game modes? Is there a co-op or team-based multiplayer mode? I've only tried out tail, hack, and ctos mobile thus far.

In non-multiplayer discussion... I really wish the range on the lure gadget was a LOT bigger than it is. I can barely lure one guard into range of a trap with it. And I can never seem to lure anyone far enough away from a door or something for it to be worthwhile.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 10, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Speedball posted:

It's not a stupid thing to want at all. This game has all the typical problems of female objectification in popular culture, from scantily clad supporting characters to damsels in distress to objectified sex objects that you can simultaneously pity and leer at. There are no female characters with any significant agency in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How the gently caress do you escape the police after the prison mission. I managed to do pretty well in the prison itself and shotgunned all the guys in the final room without too much trouble. But leaving it is terrible; if you manage to get to a car (which isn't too hard), you're instantly swarmed by like 5+ police cars. If I get lucky enough to time a street light hacking well enough to kill 1 or 2 of them, more just come out of nowhere. This one time I managed to get into the L and was like "hell yes, surely this will work", but nope - loving police helicopter just followed me across a bridge and there are a million more police waiting at the other side. I left the train after realizing it was futile and went out in a blaze of glory, breaking the knees of like 8 guys and then gunning down 4 or 5 more.

I get that theoretically I'm supposed to expertly time a bunch of hackings so that it wrecks the police cars and then deftly turn into an alley and hide in my car, but this is a million times easier said than done (and I haven't unlocked the other street hacking abilities, so I only really have the traffic lights).

Someone please tell me a trick for this, because it is seriously the worst thing. gently caress the police in this game. :mad:

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 10, 2014

• Locked thread