Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Has there been some kind of patch in the last three days? My Binding Ring doesn't seem to be helping as much and some enemies are taking less damage than I remember. Also, I got hit by the dogs in the Gutter for the first time. Cool that they can hit you with their paw-slap before the animation starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Oh absolutely, the gameplay looks exactly like the other games. I'm talking about the art direction, which looks very different. The dog is indeed the same dog though. Guess they like it?

That's what people are talking about. The feel of the game is the main point and it's been the same since King's Field. A lot of things change but the core remains the same.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's what people are talking about. The feel of the game is the main point and it's been the same since King's Field. A lot of things change but the core remains the same.

Wouldn't have it any other way :v:

Gastrointestinal Joe
Mar 29, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Does the Sacred Chime Hammer make the same amazing bell sound that it does when Velstadt uses it?

I know the bell sound that the hammer fails to make has been covered already, but I discovered that the 2H R2 special attack can be spammed as long as you have the stamina for it. Cue me unleashing a torrent of 12 homing orbs at dragonbros on the IK bridge, followed up with my own tiny Affinity orbs. Leaves me at about half durability even without the bracing ring and it works far more often than it should. I can almost forgive From for taking away the bell sound.... almost.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

How much stuff is there about Alva the Wanderer? I've noticed him popping up in a few item descriptions, but all I can tell is that he was a knight in Drangleic to search for a cure for someone, and teamed up with the previous owner of the Black Witch Hat?

There is also tumblr of someone roleplaying their Alva and Alonne knight fan-fiction.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

The biggest disappointment in Dark Souls 2 is that it's missing a place as dickish as sens.

Ratbroing is kind of like building your own little Sen's Fortress.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Welp, I backed up my save, reinstalled to try and fix these skyboxes....and it can't read the save, and if I close the game it crashes with a runtime error. Great. Let's hope reinstalling one more time, starting a new game, then copying over that works, or I guess I'm hosed. At least I beat NG+ first though I can't co-op with my brother anymore.

Okay now you're scaring me :(
I did some googling and apparently it's a common-ish problem for the Bastille skybox to not load

quote:

Sometimes the textures on the skybox don't load in Lost Bastille. Instead of the misty clouds and the moon, you just get a blank blueish fill overhead.
Which just happened to me on my newest character.. I still have a skybox in the Saltfort though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really don't see it as a bad thing for From to take a gameplay formula and keeping making games with it, so long as they tweak and improve it. Plenty of companies do that. The only reason it might seem weird in the case of the Souls games is because the story isn't complete poo poo. So when you see a new game come along that looks similar in terms of atmosphere, you can't help but wonder if they are just gonna repeat the same story which would be a disappointment.

The 3 Souls games all have pretty different and unique stories though, so I'm not worried. Admittedly I'm not terribly familiar with From's older games though and supposedly Dark Souls 2 has really similar story to one of the King's Field games. Regardless, its way too early to judge the game anyways.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wouldn't have it any other way :v:

I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread that would disagree.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm having trouble with GeDoSaTo, namely downsampling from a higher resolution. By which I mean, it doesn't do anything and GeDoSaTo says it isn't currently downsampling when I hit the monitor button ingame. Does it only work in fullscreen mode?

edit: Answered my own question, yes it does.

Look at that beautiful image fidelity holy crap. I downsampled from such a high resolution that the hud has started to look kinda ugly. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 10, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The only reason why I mention it in particular with FromSoftware in regards with Armored Core is because there have been five main titles in that series and twenty total. Most of them have been minor tweaks of the main series.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

One thing that confuses me is how people seem to not understand that Nashandra isn't meant to be a really challenging final boss. She's the denouement, just like every final boss in the Souls series. The False King was undoubtedly the final boss of Demon's Souls while the real Allant was just a thematic fight inside of the Old One. Any of the Four Lords could serve as the "real" final boss in Dark Souls before Lord Gwyn, not to say that he wasn't challenging in his own right. Like Allant though, Gwyn's fight was more of a showpiece and Nashandra fills that exact same role in my opinion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Vanderdeath posted:

One thing that confuses me is how people seem to not understand that Nashandra isn't meant to be a really challenging final boss. She's the denouement, just like every final boss in the Souls series. The False King was undoubtedly the final boss of Demon's Souls while the real Allant was just a thematic fight inside of the Old One. Any of the Four Lords could serve as the "real" final boss in Dark Souls before Lord Gwyn, not to say that he wasn't challenging in his own right. Like Allant though, Gwyn's fight was more of a showpiece and Nashandra fills that exact same role in my opinion.

The problem is that no matter how cool that is thematically, it's not fun to play and leaves the player feeling like they didn't accomplish anything. You shouldn't have to say "well in the grand scheme of things" when you're talking about why your game's final boss was boring and easy to fight. Real Allant does not count because he is intentionally barely even capable of hurting you. Nashandra does count because she actually tries to put up a fight; saying that From made her be lovely on purpose is basically calling them bad game designers.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 10, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

Because the last proper boss fight should be a good gameplay experience, since the Souls games are very much game first story second. Gwyn was very much meant to be this, but they unintentionally made him have a number of glaring weaknesses, something people seem to forget. I imagine Nashandra was too; she just has the same failing a lot of bosses have, in that she can be easily cheesed with ranged magic.

dexybarat
Oct 5, 2012

I ain't afraid of no rolley coaster
I thought the "Real (fake) last boss" was cool in Demon's Souls. Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 felt too much like real boss fights, just ones that sucked.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Gwyn was the real final boss of Dark Souls. The developers have expressed disappointment in how it went down due to the whole "parry him" mechanic. Even thematically the rest don't make any sense, the whole game builds Gwyn up as your final challenge. As with Nashandra, she's not supposed to be easy. She just is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I'm having trouble with GeDoSaTo, namely downsampling from a higher resolution. By which I mean, it doesn't do anything and GeDoSaTo says it isn't currently downsampling when I hit the monitor button ingame. Does it only work in fullscreen mode?

edit: Answered my own question, yes it does.

Look at that beautiful image fidelity holy crap. I downsampled from such a high resolution that the hud has started to look kinda ugly. :v:

I don't get downsampling :downs:
What's the purpose?
I'm using GeDoSaTo though, so I suppose I should try it out. What's a good value? 2x native resolution? 3x? 4x? 1000x?!

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The only reason why I mention it in particular with FromSoftware in regards with Armored Core is because there have been five main titles in that series and twenty total. Most of them have been minor tweaks of the main series.

There's also the part where 5 was such a bad game almost universally that I'm not sure they know how to make them anymore.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RBA Starblade posted:

Welp, I backed up my save, reinstalled to try and fix these skyboxes....and it can't read the save, and if I close the game it crashes with a runtime error. Great. Let's hope reinstalling one more time, starting a new game, then copying over that works, or I guess I'm hosed. At least I beat NG+ first though I can't co-op with my brother anymore.

I've been getting the runtime error since the latest patch, and it hasn't seemed to have any adverse effect on my game, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This took way too long to set up but I finally got it done (sort of).

Setting up this guy to be a dickwraith. Had to run all the way to Dragon Shrine for my gear, and I hosed up some bosses along the way (for reasons I can't fathom I managed to die to Mytha like 6 times) so it took a few hours. Then I had poo poo luck farming certain items which wasted even more time. In the end I got all this crap together at around 670k SM, which is acceptable.

Still need to upgrade it though, hence Bell Cop. Will give me a chance to test out sorcery since I've never used it online before. I have no idea which spells are worth using. Heard good things about soul greatsword but other than that I'm just throwing magic at all the wall and seeing what sticks.

Should be fun! :hb:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh, anyone know what "epolintest" might mean?

If it helps, the directory for it is named "jpww". They might be doing something with different regions.

I have no idea what epolin might mean at all.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 10, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

I don't get downsampling :downs:
What's the purpose?
I'm using GeDoSaTo though, so I suppose I should try it out. What's a good value? 2x native resolution? 3x? 4x? 1000x?!

Downsampling is basically what happens when you take an image and resize it downward. The image becomes blurrier but does not lose any graphical fidelity. That's basically what downsampling is, but with gigantic and moving images. At sizes of 1080p and upward, the 'blurriness' caused by reducing the image's size actually causes it to appear more clear than at the normal resolution. Think of it as super-anti-aliasing. You don't really ever NEED to do it but it definitely does make the game look pretty.

If your monitor is 1080p, I suggest you start with 2160x1440, as that's the closest next step up. To downsample in GeDoSaTo:

Set this to whatever you want to downsample FROM. When you get in game, this option will appear above your usual max resolution. I suggest playing in borderless fullscreen mode (via GeDoSaTo) so your monitor doesn't freak the hell out when you change resolutions.

Set this to the resolution you want to play at (or your monitor's size).

To check if it's working once you're ingame, hit the + button on the numpad and GeDoSaTo's status bar will pop up. I think it also shows up when you launch the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

At sizes of 1080p and upward, the 'blurriness' caused by reducing the image's size actually causes it to appear more clear than at the normal resolution.

That's interesting. I know what downsampling is but the logical thing to me would be that it would look worse.
How hard is it on performance? I've got a decently beefy GPU and CPU, and downsampling 2x didn't seem to do much. (Native resolution 1680x1050, by the way)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At super duper high resolutions it can be tough on your PC but it really requires some experimentation to find out what your computer's limit is. The differences are pretty subtle, but if you want a quick noticeable comparison head to Majula and look at the leafless trees.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Cross-posting: I made a thread for Bloodborne discussions here.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Rotten is really cute when it has no arms. :shobon:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've been summoned as a bluecop 5 times tonight and each time I was in the middle of swapping gear.

Also, I should really get a token of fidelity when the bloodbro bitches out and uses his crystal.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Nah, you can survive it in Dark Souls 1 as well if you have enough health.

In Dark Souls 1 you can also mash the light attack buttons when you get grabbed to take next to no damage, no idea why they removed it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Inspector_666 posted:

I've been getting the runtime error since the latest patch, and it hasn't seemed to have any adverse effect on my game, so I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

That's good at least, but it still can't read my save, so I guess Dark Souls 2 wins after all.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Manatee Cannon posted:

Gwyn was the real final boss of Dark Souls. The developers have expressed disappointment in how it went down due to the whole "parry him" mechanic. Even thematically the rest don't make any sense, the whole game builds Gwyn up as your final challenge. As with Nashandra, she's not supposed to be easy. She just is.

False king and Gwyn were neat because they actually felt aggressive. They also both had a whole lot more build up based on how you got to them and it was obvious going in that this was supposed to be a climactic encounter.

In combination with the fact that I had no idea what I was actually supposed to be doing for the second half of the game and was just wandering around when I got to the Nashandra fight, I had no idea that it was actually supposed to be the last boss. I thought I was about to open a new area or something, which would eventually give me something to let me fight vendrick. Especially since I was just looking for king's doors and just happened to find this one last while backtracking through the world.

I had tried wailing on vendrick before for about a minute without aggro'ing him earlier, and only discovered later that the trigger was just wailing on him for longer. I thought it was something that would happen before the end of the game. Combined with the poo poo ton of bloodstains in the throne room in drangleic that didn't have an encounter yet, I thought there was going to be more to NG.

Then the game ended and I was very confused.
Note that I'd gone completely cold turkey on information past the initial reveal trailer / confirming the pc version would be 60fps, and didn't even read this thread until I cleared the game. Without even any indirect hints, the end of the game felt especially scattered.

I got through throne duo + Nashandra on the first try, so it felt especially anti-climactic. Although the throne duo fight was actually pretty fun.
Melee only, and aside from the curse gimmick (I did get cursed a lot) it felt kind of bland. Basically a combination of the fight itself, and the circumstances around the fight.

e:
In retrospect, I didn't actually play demons or DS1 completely blind like I did with DS2. I don't know if that had any effect on my impressions or not.

Inspector_666 posted:

I've been seeing this too, but not any actual effects.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 10, 2014

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

Hard Leather torso with Faraam boots or Benhart legs. If you want to do Richter Belmont, use the Lucatiel torso. For Trevor, use the Manikin torso.

Hot drat the thread moves fast!

I got a pretty good Simon goin' -

My reference:

Chaos robe, Pate's trousers, brigand gauntlets. Wow, the notched whip is hot garbage! Working on an old whip but *drumroll* my first trade was a trident. After some small soapstoning I have the demon's hammer, 2 tridents, some misc. stuff, and no whip.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yep, the game appears to think the backup file is a fresh new save file, so all my saves are gone. What do you want to bet the skyboxes are still hosed too? Guess I'll see you all in July. :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hm. So far every one of my bell invasions has gone like this;

-run up to host
-cast soul greatsword
-instant kill

Its oneshot everyone I've fought so far, and most of them were at full health. Its kind of sad how easy this is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can try farming a bloodied whip from the guys guarding the path to the Undead Purgatory, or rushing to Earthen Peak and getting the whip off the ladder fella.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

SynthOrange posted:

You can try farming a bloodied whip from the guys guarding the path to the Undead Purgatory, or rushing to Earthen Peak and getting the whip off the ladder fella.

The way durability is goin' I think I'm gonna have to do both! And poo poo I'm blind, I should've made him a redhead.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I regret to inform you all that you are enjoying Dark Souls incorrectly.

The host gave me 50 red eye orbs too.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

HellCopter posted:

So are the Santier's Spear and Flame Weapon both just useless now? Has my Darth Maul cosplay become useless just as it was finished??

Real Darth Maul cosplayers should use twinblades, or Pate's stuff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plus side is that unlike Santiers, actual twinblades look symmetrical.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Why is the best spear a halberd and why was the best halberd a spear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Running back to Cale on NG now, I didn't know getting shot in the head killed all forward momentum you had in midair. That's really specific and really lovely in that area with all the water there. Especially since the hollow archers basically can't miss.

e: In four games I've never seen Cale leave this cave either.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 10, 2014