Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just picked up Robot John Goodman and boy this thing owns. It's so cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

I was like who the hell is 'Robert John Goodman' until I realized what I was misreading

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DoctorWhat posted:

Where did you find him?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Xenomrph posted:

Where did you find him?

Toys "R" Us Times Square - it was the last one I could see as of around noon today.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Phy posted:

I was like who the hell is 'Robert John Goodman' until I realized what I was misreading

Read it exactly the same way

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

SirToys seems like the place. You can even get it in funky colors!

Oh well wouldya look at that. Might be worth the risk for that price, thanks!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So the preview for RID has Galvatron, in the distant past, fighting an honest to god Headmaster.

Remember Thinkbox, Spike? Are you ready for the ultimate twist, a reference to Heart of Darkness alongside a reference to the ongoing?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Spiderdrake posted:

So the preview for RID has Galvatron, in the distant past, fighting an honest to god Headmaster.

Remember Thinkbox, Spike? Are you ready for the ultimate twist, a reference to Heart of Darkness alongside a reference to the ongoing?

Well that surprises me, IDW usually goes out of their way to ignore pretty much any notable sub-type of Transformer besides Combiners and Recordicons, and even those don't have much notability to them(seriously 99% of the time a Combiner will show up, last for somewhere between 1 to 5 pages and then get it's rear end kicked without having accomplished much), it's one of those aspects of IDW Transformers that bugs me heavily

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Heart of Darkness? What's that? Well, you'll have to tell me some other time, as I seem to have developed a nose bleed and am going to go have a bit of a lie down.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=31372196&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

Grimlock gone

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 10, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

drrockso20 posted:

Well that surprises me, IDW usually goes out of their way to ignore pretty much any notable sub-type of Transformer
What are you defining as "notable sub-types"?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/fans-toys-scoria-in-hand-gallery-180274/

Slag be here soon.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Spiderdrake posted:

Well you see Chromedome, Hardhead, Nightbeat, Star Saber, Overlord, Thunderclash, and an entire race of Minicons don't count because

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well you see Chromedome, Hardhead, Nightbeat, Star Saber, Overlord, Thunderclash, and an entire race of Minicons don't count because

Well they don't, because all those guys you just listed aren't actually Headmasters, Powermasters, Brainmasters and so on in the actual comics. IDW Chromedome's head doesn't pop off and become a little dude.

It IS a little disappointing but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. I don't loose any sleep over it. IDW is it's own new thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As someone who doesn't follow the comics, has anyone at Hasbro or IDW (or the creators of the comics) said why? I mean, it seems pretty easy to just use the Japanese show explanation, and have the little Headmaster dude be the main consciousness that just combines with a big vehicle in order to fight better.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well, two parts to that:

First: Headmasters were a poisoned well for years in IDW due to how Furman handled them, so they've avoiding tackling the issue again until now. See also: Female transformers and Pretenders.

Also yes yes body horror I know. Also Spindrift. Also Thinkbox. Also, mmm, almonds.

Second: The headmaster shown in the preview is a smaller bot that makes up the head of a larger body for an unspecified reason. It is possible in this new age of retcons they're going to have Scorponok was trying to rebuild "his kind" from the previous war or saw it as a solution to his body's failings.

And yeah the 'previous civil war' storybeat goes all the way back to the G1 cartoon. Bitchin'. The idea of the Golden Age coming out of previous wars is one of my favorite elements of G1.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

Pretty much any transformer that isn't a standard 'robot to vehicle or animal' two-mode one

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gaz-L posted:

As someone who doesn't follow the comics, has anyone at Hasbro or IDW (or the creators of the comics) said why? I mean, it seems pretty easy to just use the Japanese show explanation, and have the little Headmaster dude be the main consciousness that just combines with a big vehicle in order to fight better.

Firstly, because that's not the story they're trying to tell, and the last thing they need is the additional baggage of explaining why some dudes are other types of dudes.

And, as said, IDW is it's own thing. I'm a big Beast Wars fan but I am just enjoying Waspinator and Rattrap for who they are, not grinding my teeth about the fact that they should be descendants of the G1 guys ("great aunt Arcee" and all that).

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 11, 2014

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Gaz-L posted:

If you don't have toys that feature that gimmick to sell with your fiction, why bother to introduce such a convoluted and clumsy element into said fiction? Would the Chromedome/Rewind relationship have been improved any if Chromedome's head became a little robot? I suggest it would not.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty much any transformer that isn't a standard 'robot to vehicle or animal' two-mode one

Yeah, where are those throttle bots and spark shooting guys?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I have Scoria on preorder at tfsource. I'm going to preorder Sever, just because 1) it's not grimlock and 2) stegosaurii were very cool. If you disagree with the latter sentiment, your life is forfeit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The monsterbots were in maximum dinobots or whatever and I think their sparking was referenced, but I don't know where my copy is. The throttlebots fought Sixshot in one of Metroplex's confusing appearances that never built to anything really.

Also I was actually looking for a more specific list, because the comic does have Headmasters, triple changers, duocons, seacons, the predators, pretenders, one of the six-changers and beastformers of several kinds.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Spiderdrake posted:

The monsterbots were in maximum dinobots or whatever and I think their sparking was referenced, but I don't know where my copy is. The throttlebots fought Sixshot in one of Metroplex's confusing appearances that never built to anything really.

Also I was actually looking for a more specific list, because the comic does have Headmasters, triple changers, duocons, seacons, the predators, pretenders, one of the six-changers and beastformers of several kinds.

Well yeah some stuff has shown up but it's almost always briefly and unimportant in nature(and that's if they don't just get immediately get killed off before getting a chance to do something interesting)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

His point is that while characters in those subgroups are in the IDW stuff, there's no trace of their subgroup's "gimmicks". Flywheels (a Duocon) is in MTMTE and gets killed by the DJD, but he isn't actually made up of two combining vehicles. Guzzle (a Sparkabot) is in Last Stand of the Wreckers, but he doesn't spark or anything. Scoop (a Targetmaster) is in RID, but his gun buddies are nowhere to be found. This is actually a little surprising since he just got a new toy that even came with a pack-in comic. Although I'm more surprised that the recent toy didn't have a more G1-style head like he does in the comic, but oh well.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Scoops targetmaster partners are with him all the time up until he gets arrested in RID

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Other posted:

Scoops targetmaster partners are with him all the time up until he gets arrested in RID

Cybertronian Child Welfare took them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Oh my god I can not wait until Scoria ships, the anticipation is killing me!

Anyone have an opinion either way on what color I should get for Fans Toys Not-Swoop? I preordered both because I wasn't sure, but there is no way I can spend $400 on Swoops. I'm thinking the cartoon colors are the way to go, even though that won't really fit with Scoria. But they don't all have to be uniform color ... do they? Haha.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Spiderdrake posted:

Well, two parts to that:

First: Headmasters were a poisoned well for years in IDW due to how Furman handled them, so they've avoiding tackling the issue again until now. See also: Female transformers and Pretenders.

Also yes yes body horror I know. Also Spindrift. Also Thinkbox. Also, mmm, almonds.

Second: The headmaster shown in the preview is a smaller bot that makes up the head of a larger body for an unspecified reason. It is possible in this new age of retcons they're going to have Scorponok was trying to rebuild "his kind" from the previous war or saw it as a solution to his body's failings.

Yeah, Furman really screwed the pooch when it came to Headmasters, Pretenders and female transformers.

I never liked the American "binary bonding" thing, where you have a sentient robot giving up its head and letting a human take its place, but the headless robot still has a personality. It's just really weird. It was weird in the US comics, the cartoon and the IDW comics.

I much prefer the Japanese idea of transtectors, where they're just little robots and the bodies are basically mechs that they drive so they can be as big as the other transformers. I like to think of Headmasters as being the same thing as Micromasters, but they just decided to turn into heads instead of tiny cars and stuff.

Of course, the actual Headmasters anime is terrible and unwatchable, but I like the idea better. I'd take the Rebirth and the Marvel Comics over Headmasters any day, as weird as they are.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I'm getting Scoria sometime soon. I ordered through Captured Prey, and that dude is going to Botcon, so he's not shipping (I believe) for another couple of weeks. That actually suits me fine, though, as I'm going to be out of town on vacation for the next two weeks.

I would like to go ahead and pre-order Swoop and Snarl (especially Snarl, Stegosaurus is my favorite dinosaur ever), but my budget is pretty limited at the moment. Stupid vacations. Why go to Hawaii when I just want to drown in molded plastic?

I've never understood all the love for Headmasters, but they make about as much sense as combiners do, and I loving love combiners, so...

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this
Latest issue of RID made me giggle like a child for a while:

Spacebus :).

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ka0 posted:

I have Scoria on preorder at tfsource. I'm going to preorder Sever, just because 1) it's not grimlock and 2) stegosaurii were very cool. If you disagree with the latter sentiment, your life is forfeit.
I do disagree with your improper pluralization of stegosaurus, if you wanted to do it Latin-style it would just by stegosauri, and I'm not going go get into how it's actually a Greek root. It's just stegosauruses, or stegosaurs if you're referring to the group as a whole.

Also triceratops was better.

Snarl and Sludge are the Dinobots I'm most worried about, they're the species that have changed their look the most since the 70's/80's interpretations of dinosaurs. Slag has a short enough tail that it doesn't really apply, and Grimlock you can just tip forward, but if Snarl or Sludge are tail-draggers I'm going to be very conflicted on my purchase.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Knormal posted:

I do disagree with your improper pluralization of stegosaurus, if you wanted to do it Latin-style it would just by stegosauri, and I'm not going go get into how it's actually a Greek root. It's just stegosauruses, or stegosaurs if you're referring to the group as a whole.

Also triceratops was better.

Snarl and Sludge are the Dinobots I'm most worried about, they're the species that have changed their look the most since the 70's/80's interpretations of dinosaurs. Slag has a short enough tail that it doesn't really apply, and Grimlock you can just tip forward, but if Snarl or Sludge are tail-draggers I'm going to be very conflicted on my purchase.

Look at it this way: the Dinobots aren't smart enough to know the difference.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Other posted:

Sure, but are they named at all? Do they turn into his guns? Is there any indication of a fundamental relationship with Scoop other than "close proximity"?
The only people who "get" their connection to Scoop are people already familiar with old-school G1 scoop. There's nothing in RID itself to indicate that he or they are Targetmasters, just like Flywheels isn't truly a Duocon.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

And that's fine, because authors shouldn't be slaves to 30-year-old toy gimmicks.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Why cookie Rocket posted:

And that's fine, because authors shouldn't be slaves to 30-year-old toy gimmicks.
I agree, I was just illustrating the point that "including characters from a subgroup" is not the same as "representing the traits of that subgroup" (in the way that having combiners or actual Headmasters is, etc).

Earlier it was mentioned that Furman "poisoned the well" regarding Headmasters - could anyone elaborate? The only IDW stuff I really know well is LSOTW, RID, and MTMTE, other than what I've read on tfwiki. I've read a few random Spotlights, but my memory of them is iffy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I agree, I was just illustrating the point that "including characters from a subgroup" is not the same as "representing the traits of that subgroup" (in the way that having combiners or actual Headmasters is, etc).

Yeah I wasn't sassing at you, I just think it's a very silly thing to be annoyed with. Rattrap being out-and-out neutral evil is a much bigger problem than Spinister's missing gun buddies.

Xenomrph posted:

Earlier it was mentioned that Furman "poisoned the well" regarding Headmasters - could anyone elaborate? The only IDW stuff I really know well is LSOTW, RID, and MTMTE, other than what I've read on tfwiki. I've read a few random Spotlights, but my memory of them is iffy.

Furman jettisoned traditional Headmaster fiction (which was always messy at best) and added some truly grotesque body horror in it's place. IMO, it rules. It's worth reading without being spoiled.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
What of the non-ongoings is worth reading? I'd like to read more of this IDW nonsense but I seem to be getting mixed reviews on most everything. Should I grab the giant anthologies or is it just not worth the time?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Honest Ray posted:

What of the non-ongoings is worth reading? I'd like to read more of this IDW nonsense but I seem to be getting mixed reviews on most everything. Should I grab the giant anthologies or is it just not worth the time?
It is honestly hard to say since opinions really split. I would generally say everything other than Heart of Darkness and Autocracy is worth giving a try, if you can get them cheaply enough.

Xenomrph posted:

I agree, I was just illustrating the point that "including characters from a subgroup" is not the same as "representing the traits of that subgroup"
Except that isn't what I said

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was referring to what drrockso and Gammatron said:

drrockso20 posted:

Well that surprises me, IDW usually goes out of their way to ignore pretty much any notable sub-type of Transformer besides Combiners and Recordicons, and even those don't have much notability to them(seriously 99% of the time a Combiner will show up, last for somewhere between 1 to 5 pages and then get it's rear end kicked without having accomplished much), it's one of those aspects of IDW Transformers that bugs me heavily

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well they don't, because all those guys you just listed aren't actually Headmasters, Powermasters, Brainmasters and so on in the actual comics. IDW Chromedome's head doesn't pop off and become a little dude.

It IS a little disappointing but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. I don't loose any sleep over it. IDW is it's own new thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

wow i can't believe we're talking about fiction or continuity or toys or whatever and not about how loving cute 'Spacebus' is.