Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Che Delilas posted:

"How about this, boss. If I get zapped in the taint, or tell you what, anywhere else, the guy who zaps me gets to leave early so he can go get his broken fingers splinted."

I know it's frowned upon these days but I can't think of a better word to use for this kind of thing than "retarded." Let's ignore the legality (not a lawyer, but I would call this assault), the liability (hope nobody has a heart condition or a pacemaker or you just got upgraded from mean-spirited prank to negligent homicide). Ignore all that. How about the fact that if you zap the wrong person at the wrong time, you get to experience an office shooting spree from the wrong end?

Then again, this kind of thing seems like common sense to me, which, as we all know, isn't.

I had most of everyones measure in that office and left myself firmly separated from that bullshit. Not engaging in the stupidity and willfully ignoring it made it less fun for them, and kept me from being the center of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A ticket came in, you are all both frumpy and immature. Go make fart jokes while being ashamed.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Operations manager was more or less okay with it, offering that anyone who took it on the taint got to go home early. I worked in a weird place, and am glad that I'm out of it.

:wtc:

That's one hell of a story to be able to share, man.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I've probably got a glut of things that I can look back at and cringe at... now thatI have the actual ability to step outside the asylum and look back. I don't quite think I'll be working at a place that promotes itself as a "Fast paced, fun, and laid back environment" again.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
...user couldn't save her files.

Resolution: Named the files.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
At my office we make bad puns a lot and tell jokes and one time a guy farted a little on accident while he was on the phone and we all had a really good laugh :shrug:

There is a balance between always professional all the time and pulling idiotic pranks. It's called "getting along."

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

..."2 drives died in your RAID5"

About 80 person-hours of work later over the weekend, and things are back running on a virtual server, with the newest Windows Server.

We just ordered the replacement server for this server last week :(

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006
Man, I would have left this job a long time ago if I worked with some of you guys. Gotta have a little fun sometimes.

And before I get hammered: no, I'm not much of a Cisco VoIP guy. We were just trying to keep an old, unsupported system running long enough to get the new system up and running.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just got a stack of 10 brand new Latitude E6400 on my desk. They were bought for a project in 2008, used once, and then put away in a locker. I expect all the batteries to be shot after being out of use for so long, but they are pretty little time capsules.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

... from my kidney. It tried to send an attachment way over the limit, and I just don't have the bandwidth from my kidney to my bladder to handle it in a timely matter. My body's first line support incorrectly diagnosed a solution to this problem and attempted to power cycle my digestive system several times before I was able to convince it that this was counterproductive. In the finest tradition of end users, it decided to keep trying a couple more times throughout the next several hours, because that's worked before sometimes, and that and "fever" is all it knows how to do to respond to issues.

After tier 1 triage by an external support desk (my wife), the decision was made to bring my body to a service desk, where MD certified professionals could diagnose it. After running several tests, the diagnosis of my kidney trying to email a 1GB picture of a rock to a third party was confirmed. Drugs that SH/SC would definitely approve of were injected into the faulty unit to disable alarms while the attachment could slowly make its way through the system and to the third party.

While my kidney was warned against trying to send any more attachments that cannot possibly be delivered in a timely manner, I unfortunately expect this to occur again. My kidney is a hoarder user that those of you supporting people with 20GB PST files can appreciate, and has done this before. Systemic mismanagement means that it will not properly be disciplined for this action, and will likely only continue to grow its collection of rocks, despite admonitions, pleas, and indeed direct interventions otherwise. As with all problem users, it is only a matter of time until another ticket comes in about this.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Tickets like that annoy me to no end as they cost the company thousands and cause unnecessary downtime and costly ongoing maintenance in attempts to avoid what is clearly user error

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

It's all fun and games until someone files a workers comp claim.

Back when I was in support, we had our only workers comp claim for 2008 when someone sprayed someone else in the face with glass cleaner.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Volmarias posted:

... from my kidney. It tried to send an attachment way over the limit, and I just don't have the bandwidth from my kidney to my bladder to handle it in a timely matter. My body's first line support incorrectly diagnosed a solution to this problem and attempted to power cycle my digestive system several times before I was able to convince it that this was counterproductive. In the finest tradition of end users, it decided to keep trying a couple more times throughout the next several hours, because that's worked before sometimes, and that and "fever" is all it knows how to do to respond to issues.

After tier 1 triage by an external support desk (my wife), the decision was made to bring my body to a service desk, where MD certified professionals could diagnose it. After running several tests, the diagnosis of my kidney trying to email a 1GB picture of a rock to a third party was confirmed. Drugs that SH/SC would definitely approve of were injected into the faulty unit to disable alarms while the attachment could slowly make its way through the system and to the third party.

While my kidney was warned against trying to send any more attachments that cannot possibly be delivered in a timely manner, I unfortunately expect this to occur again. My kidney is a hoarder user that those of you supporting people with 20GB PST files can appreciate, and has done this before. Systemic mismanagement means that it will not properly be disciplined for this action, and will likely only continue to grow its collection of rocks, despite admonitions, pleas, and indeed direct interventions otherwise. As with all problem users, it is only a matter of time until another ticket comes in about this.

One of my favorite recent posts. Thanks for sharing this and I hope you are feeling better.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tickets like that annoy me to no end as they cost the company thousands and cause unnecessary downtime and costly ongoing maintenance in attempts to avoid what is clearly user error

I've seen that happen numerous times. When an issue continues on another system, right after you install the software they specifically want to use, then it's not the system dammit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I love pranks and things done in poor taste but I save that poo poo for my friends and fiancé. I know most of the better stories emanate from offices without HR departments or any structure/rules but I never want to work there. It's rather entitled to assume your poo poo doesn't stink and your jokes are all funny. Better yet you'll run into people with seniority/managers/C levels who will just straight up fire you on the spot for it with justification.

We joke around all day but I'd rather a workplace has more encouragement to keep clean and inclusive than "anything goes use your own judgment."

Sorry for continuing this discussion but it's scarring to work for and with poo poo people. My professional bodybuilder IT boss, my "born a millionaire losing it to motorcycles and coke" IT boss, and about 5 hell coworkers.

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 10, 2014

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

dorkanoid posted:

..."2 drives died in your RAID5"

About 80 person-hours of work later over the weekend, and things are back running on a virtual server, with the newest Windows Server.

We just ordered the replacement server for this server last week :(

Are you me? Our exchange server had an HD failure and should have kept on trucking but for whatever reason the entire RAID locked up. I waited 3 hours for it to rebuild to finally say gently caress it. I powered it down and got ready to restore the server. Suddenly it boots up and rebuilds the drive fine.

God damnit RAID 5 you suck so hard. I want to re-image you with RAID 10 so bad.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

An email came in:

"Is our email not working? I tried to send an email and it has been returned twice."

Turns out she was trying to send an email to her personal address and spelled her own name wrong.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
A contest came in!

We get points for ticket updates that are detailed and include a list a points like next steps, etc, to be graded by management. We can win prizes individually and per team for good ticket updates.

In the mean time, half of my updates are, "called customer, they don't have time to work with me, but stated they wanted ticket kept open." And I started the day yesterday with 16 tickets, closed 20, and ended with 18.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I just got a panicked e-mail from our ERP Project Leader, who also has over a decade of previous IT management experience, asking me how to zip up a text document and what program she should use to do it. It was an emergency because she needed to e-mail a text file to our software vendor ASAP.

Also I had to help a man who was complaining about his printer trying to duplex when he printed. This was something that needed to be looked at right now. Turns out he had "print on both sides" selected.

Some days... :downs:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've made it almost all the way to Seattle without getting a support request. :woop:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I've made it almost all the way to Seattle without getting a support request. :woop:

Did you escape? Are you on the run and needing a place to hide? I'm not in Seattle, but I bet we could get a goon underground railroad set up to take you to freedom.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Did you escape? Are you on the run and needing a place to hide? I'm not in Seattle, but I bet we could get a goon underground railroad set up to take you to freedom.

I am. I'll drive Dick to the Canadian border if he promises to take me with him.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

:whatup: kidney stone bro :smith::respek:

When I was in the ER for my first (diagnosed) ones, the doctor told me "your bladder is full of gravel". :pwn:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

wa27 posted:

An email came in:

"Is our email not working? I tried to send an email and it has been returned twice."

Turns out she was trying to send an email to her personal address and spelled her own name wrong.

I had a similar ticket phone call come in.

User calls because all her emails are bouncing back, why is our server broken, etc. I tell her to forward me a copy of one of the messages using her personal account and I will look into it.

I receive the email shortly after, which has about 10 failed attempts from her. I scroll through and notice the bounce backs were coming from hotmail...

So I check and confirm that all of the outgoing emails from her were being sent from her personal account from her ISP (through hotmail). Check the account she used to send the bounce backs to me, it was her work account (which clearly works).

So she was using her personal email account to send all these messages, which were being blocked since at least some of hotmail's IPs are being blocked by spamcop.net for spamming. She's been lectured in the past for using her personal account for work emails, so it was great that she CC'ed the CTO when she sent me the bounce backs. I don't expect a reply to my e-mail asking her if she's having problems sending mail from any of her work email accounts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Some replacement Dells just came in...

We got some Optiplex 380's to replace 780's. The 380's came out in 2012 with Win7 installed. I'm trying to get our 780 ghost image to install on it and guess what, the 380 chipset doesn't support AHCI. Seriously.

Anyway, Google tells me:

quote:

The issue here is that there are actually TWO keys that control the IDE/AHCI interface choice:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide
When the system is in IDE interface mode, the respective start values are:
msahci's START value is "3"
pciide's START value is "0"
When the system is in AHCI interface mode, the respective start values are:
msahci's START value is "0"
pciide's START value is "3"

Sounds great, and it looked promising because after I changed those reg keys the AHCI pc crashed on boot like it should. But restoring that to the 380 is still crashing on boot as well.

Anyone know if I'm forgetting anything else to get this image working?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
It's been a while since working on either 780's and 380's but I'm pretty sure 380's are basically a step down (Same generation hardware, just lower end). I seem to recall that this is one of those stripped down types that supports IDE only. No AHCI or IRST.

***edit***
Hmm... After re-reading, it looks like you're trying to modify the registry to tell it to boot from IDE instead of AHCI. (Sorry, still on my first cup of coffee)
There was a page that said that the drivers that aren't in use are disabled. If the registry edits don't fix it, you might be able to boot from a Windows disc and run a repair. That usually works in a pinch.

Found it: here

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 10, 2014

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

When I was in the ER for my first (diagnosed) ones, the doctor told me "your bladder is full of gravel". :pwn:

You don't want to see what x-rays of my kidneys look like.

You don't.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Hey all :smith:

<-- Long time sufferer of Kidney Stones.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Zero VGS posted:

Some replacement Dells just came in...

We got some Optiplex 380's to replace 780's. The 380's came out in 2012 with Win7 installed. I'm trying to get our 780 ghost image to install on it and guess what, the 380 chipset doesn't support AHCI. Seriously.

Anyway, Google tells me:

Sounds great, and it looked promising because after I changed those reg keys the AHCI pc crashed on boot like it should. But restoring that to the 380 is still crashing on boot as well.

Anyone know if I'm forgetting anything else to get this image working?

Did you change the SATA operation in the BIOS to ATA as well after the change on the 780?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

going to be completely honest with you all, I had no idea what ahci meant till I googled it

maybe i should go to school for something else :smith:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Jim posted:

Did you change the SATA operation in the BIOS to ATA as well after the change on the 780?

The image is coming off a 780 that runs it fine. I was saying that the 380 doesn't actually support AHCI on the chipset; there's no SATA Operation in the BIOS at all, even after I updated it to the newest.

Changing the SATA mode on the 780 won't alter the ghost image so not much point in that.

Edit: I narrowed it down further, taking the 380 out of the equation, I changed those two registry values on the 780 and indeed I can get it to boot in both ATA and AHCI by flipping them back and forth. So for some reason a working Windows 7 build for a 780 still needs more tweaking to launch on a 380. That's odd because Win7 is usually 1000x better for ghosting to different hardware than XP was.

Race Realists posted:

going to be completely honest with you all, I had no idea what ahci meant till I googled it

maybe i should go to school for something else :smith:

Don't worry about it, you were able to Google some IT thing when you didn't know it off your head, and that is truly the only qualification one needs to work IT. Asking the forums is just bonus points.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 10, 2014

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Don't worry about it, you were able to Google some IT thing when you didn't know it off your head, and that is truly the only qualification one needs to work IT.
100% agreed.

Whenever I have to hire IT staff, the guy who dropped out of high school but says "I don't know but I'll Google it" will almost always get the job over the guy who has 10 certs on his resume and thinks he knows everything and tries to bullshit his way through an answer. I intentionally give one or two extremely difficult questions just to see how the guy will react when he doesn't know the answer. If he just keeps talking and talking, it's game over; if he can just admit that he doesn't know and he'll go look it up, he's going to get the job. It shows that he A) knows his limitations, B) isn't afraid to admit to someone that he has limitations, and C) just saved the company a bunch of wasted man hours. Winner winner.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nexxai posted:

100% agreed.

Whenever I have to hire IT staff, the guy who dropped out of high school but says "I don't know but I'll Google it" will almost always get the job over the guy who has 10 certs on his resume and thinks he knows everything and tries to bullshit his way through an answer. I intentionally give one or two extremely difficult questions just to see how the guy will react when he doesn't know the answer. If he just keeps talking and talking, it's game over; if he can just admit that he doesn't know and he'll go look it up, he's going to get the job. It shows that he A) knows his limitations, B) isn't afraid to admit to someone that he has limitations, and C) just saved the company a bunch of wasted man hours. Winner winner.
I've gotten feedback that said I went in a circuitous route before, but I prefaced any answer that I didn't know with "I don't know I'd have to google it" and then I tried to pitch what I think the answer is.

Sometimes the hiring people just don't give a gently caress and ask dumbass cryptic poo poo and actually want you to have it memorized.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I did interview yesterday at the VM place I mentioned Friday. It was weird because three different interviewers from different departments all separately asked my current salary. I declined specifics with all three but I finally had to relent and give some ballparks.

I guess they were expecting to hire a computer janitor; the only IT guy tossed "overqualified" at me which seemed to actually be me having a lot more experience than he. The CFO admitted that they only budgeted 50k for the position so I explained that if they aim in the tier of 70k, I'm going to easily save them the 20k by virtue of being way more resourceful, optimizing everyone's workflow and saving tons on purchasing for the place and getting bids on future projects. In one breath they said they'd be afraid I'd be bored but in another told me they went from 20 to 100 employees in a year, so I suggested that maybe having a guy who knows how to deal with any kind of disaster and sees all the expansion from the start might be worth having around by the time they're at 300 employees.

The CFO seemed to really get it (I noticed he had a copy of my resume with "$$$" penned as a note on it, lol), so here's hoping I hear back with an offer at 70k, or with some really good benefits/flex.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Changing the SATA mode on the 780 won't alter the ghost image so not much point in that

It's been a while since I used Ghost but I recall some kind of issue where I had to change the BIOS setting to IDE mode to take/deploy an image (I had a ghost boot CD by the way)

Then once it was deployed I had to change the BIOS to ATA to get the image to boot to windows

Not sure if that applies here

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Cavepimp posted:

Man, I would have left this job a long time ago if I worked with some of you guys. Gotta have a little fun sometimes.

And before I get hammered: no, I'm not much of a Cisco VoIP guy. We were just trying to keep an old, unsupported system running long enough to get the new system up and running.

Lol, I bet vm notifications are not set up right.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Partycat posted:

Lol, I bet vm notifications are not set up right.

No, we legitimately had 10-15% of actual voicemails recording as dead air. It was a pretty big issue. Still got to have some fun with it.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Cavepimp posted:

No, we legitimately had 10-15% of actual voicemails recording as dead air. It was a pretty big issue. Still got to have some fun with it.

Sorry, phone posting, it went through. Could be firewall blocking media, or if they are from real people than who knows. We get people who manage to get their work phone entered as a notification device. They get a mail, the system calls and says they have mail. Unfortunately it will leave itself voicemail to that effect, which triggers a new notification...

Yeah.

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
Several tickets came in ... to remove all accesses to the network and applications for half of my level's team :smith:

No idea what happened that caused this for them, but man does it feel weird removing accesses from people I was chatting with not long ago. Not to mention it's my first time having this shift. Makes me feel like I'm cursed or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Weirdest VOIP issue I recall offhand was one where outbound calls on a SIP trunk would go immediately to voicemail. Then, when the caller hangs up, the far ends begins ringing. Ended up being an issue where call setup was successful, but media cut-through failed; the mysterious far-end ringing was due to the call attempting to re-route out a backup PRI once the SIP setup was terminated.

• Locked thread