Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Allen Wren posted:

I've been having the same problem. It's like you upload your stuff, and only half of it appears in the album, along with other people's uploads. I've gotten Russian GTA knockoffs and Sailor Moon screencaps mixed in with mine.

Yeah, the early scans are pretty terrible. Here's one from some time later:

This one rules so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Vladimir Putin, well known for having curly grey hair and no chin.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Pon Farr gone too far.

Oh, I guess we're done with that last storyline already. Adventures in TV-watching, go!

Calvin And Hobbes

DOGG

Ripley's

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyV68xKEj28&t=59s

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

LtStorm posted:

I wish it would see a single plot point to its conclusion. I can't remember the last thing that was actually fully resolved in Jane's World.

The real question is if we got the set-up before the conclusion.

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LtStorm posted:

I wish it would see a single plot point to its conclusion. I can't remember the last thing that was actually fully resolved in Jane's World.

I remember once hearing that the standard plot of exposition, rising action, crisis, resolution was the result of male domination of the arts and carried obvious sexual connotations, and that a purely "female" plot would look a lot different.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

I actually like that ecstatic look of excitement on the boss' face.

Not that I'm going to criticise art from a forthcoming video that's about adopting recuse dogs, but that dog's loving melted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ZeeToo posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo this edit.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

ZeeToo posted:

None of them did it. Fortunately, the real murderer is a polydactylic freak with five fingers on each hand, so he should be easy to find. He probably moonlights as a professional dog-walker, judging by the copious turds surrounding the gloves.

(I also like your edit)

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 10, 2014

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Since when does holding a phone in your left hand mean you're left handed? :psyduck:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (June 11, 1956)

Droodles (June 11, 1956)

Out Our Way (February 9-10, 1925)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Yikes, well that's not good.

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Calling it now, the frog guy comes in and saves them.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

Is it so much of a joke if this is a thing that actually happens?

Also, for Lost Side of Suburbia, that's Bunnicula right? And much too obviously Toto.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Sorry don't have much time for comics this week so if anyone's missing Retail or Holbrook or whatever you'll have to catch up with it yourself.

The answer posted:

Slylock will put seawater into the jar, attach the hose to the top of the jar, and boil the water. Steam will flow and condense in the hose. Pure, safe water will drip out the other end into the can.

Slylock Fox

How does Slylock know that he must measure precisely 8 ounces to neutralize the explosive liquid, since it's apparently a new solution that's just been invented and he wouldn't know its contents? Did Weirdly tell him? Why would he believe him? Was Slylock just looking for a chance to finally put those brain teasers he had to learn as a kid to use? "Trust me Max, I know what I'm doing."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail Catchup

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so this new Mark Trail seems to actually be drawn by an actual person.

And that person deliberately makes the phones look like he's cut old fashioned rotary phone handsets out of their hands and just crudely drawn a box in there, despite not cut-and-pasting it but actually drawing it.

Why.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Okay, so this new Mark Trail seems to actually be drawn by an actual person.

And that person deliberately makes the phones look like he's cut old fashioned rotary phone handsets out of their hands and just crudely drawn a box in there, despite not cut-and-pasting it but actually drawing it.

Why.
I think he's still cut & pasting but not just hammering square pegs into round holes when he doesn't have something that matches what he needs for the strip.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

Also, for Lost Side of Suburbia, that's Bunnicula right? And much too obviously Toto.

Oh hey, two more things I'm familiar with. I think that's three out of a dozen or so now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Oh hey, two more things I'm familiar with. I think that's three out of a dozen or so now.

What's the third? Animal Farm? Wind in the Willows? NIMH? Rikki-tikki-tavi? Song of the South? Whatever it is you missed, there's some good stuff in there.

Though, it's weird recognizing that the only reason that this is so entertaining is because it's just referencing things I'm familiar with. I guess that was supposed to be the same draw as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics, though?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

What's the third? Animal Farm? Wind in the Willows? NIMH? Rikki-tikki-tavi? Song of the South? Whatever it is you missed, there's some good stuff in there.

Though, it's weird recognizing that the only reason that this is so entertaining is because it's just referencing things I'm familiar with. I guess that was supposed to be the same draw as the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics, though?

Animal Farm. For all its faults I think I'm really liking the last arc better than this one, if only because I hardly get any of the references.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Wanamingo posted:

Animal Farm. For all its faults I think I'm really liking the last arc better than this one, if only because I hardly get any of the references.

I glazed over the first arc. The art was pretty, but it looked more like a story with pictures rather than a comic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you honestly think Anansi of all people is actually going to stick with this double-cross, I dunno. The one thing he likes best is making an rear end out of anyone with power.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Office Hours

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Potsticker posted:

Not really. The League's big thing wasn't so much that it just referenced the things characters were from, but that it effectively tried to create a homogenous universe in which all of these characters and their extant adventures could happily co-exist, with the benefit that doing so drew on a huge well of "world-building" and characterisation that had already been done and established with the audience. There's an easter egg element within it, but the draw (at least for me) was more how Moore then allows that conglomeration to permute around and in reaction to the cast's characters.

Rather than here where Toto is insane because...experiments? and can talk outside of Oz because... and his inclusion invites questions about how he even relates to an anthropomorphic universe when he's never been anything more than just a dog. The posters presumably put Napoleon up as the killer of Old Yeller and Bambi (because he's a villain!!!), but these are literally nothing other than Family Guy beats because those characters have established deaths that have nothing to do with this story.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Ghostlight posted:

Not really. The League's big thing wasn't so much that it just referenced the things characters were from, but that it effectively tried to create a homogenous universe in which all of these characters and their extant adventures could happily co-exist, with the benefit that doing so drew on a huge well of "world-building" and characterisation that had already been done and established with the audience. There's an easter egg element within it, but the draw (at least for me) was more how Moore then allows that conglomeration to permute around and in reaction to the cast's characters.

Rather than here where Toto is insane because...experiments? and can talk outside of Oz because... and his inclusion invites questions about how he even relates to an anthropomorphic universe when he's never been anything more than just a dog. The posters presumably put Napoleon up as the killer of Old Yeller and Bambi (because he's a villain!!!), but these are literally nothing other than Family Guy beats because those characters have established deaths that have nothing to do with this story.

The idea that it's any less arbitrary or wink wink nudge nudge than League, a book that got so far up itself you needed annotated annotations, is amusing to me. Oh no, the comic book for middle schoolers made a joke.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, I thought those posters were weird as well. "Bambi's Mother" instead of a name is really awkward. And I agree that Toto is done in a horribly hamfisted manner here. While Bunnicula seems like a wry reference, every panel with Toto has him awkwardly shouting things to make sure we absolutely positively have no doubt who the character is. Every. Panel. It's pretty annoying.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Potsticker posted:

Yeah, I thought those posters were weird as well. "Bambi's Mother" instead of a name is really awkward. And I agree that Toto is done in a horribly hamfisted manner here. While Bunnicula seems like a wry reference, every panel with Toto has him awkwardly shouting things to make sure we absolutely positively have no doubt who the character is. Every. Panel. It's pretty annoying.

Also Bunnicula is so creepy and adorable.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Moore's League also does a good job of exploring the characters he chose, to show that talent and abilities didn't mean they weren't both a superteam and a broken collection of losers. He also worked in a nice twist by making their leader turn out to be a villain. This thing is just full of holes. A complete list would run pages. I was going to ask why Toto instead of, say, the Lion or the leader of the Winged Monkeys, but that's covered. So I'll point out that a great white shark is now in a sewer pipe that dumps into the Thames.

I want this to be good, and for kids it might work, but it could be a lot better.

Geech is creamed something on toast today.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
It has yet to descend into Victorian erotica, so it has that going for it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

1950s Erotica Buz Sawyer Catchup

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, but Randy is using opera glasses. This allows the objects of his observation to believe they have succeeded in their lifelong operatic aspirations.

Historically, going to the opera was always far more about the people watching than the opera watching anyway so this is entirely appropriate of Randy. The porch venue would be odd, but this is Ballard Street. People (and dogs) parade around in bizarre outfits longing for attention all the time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If Pat Sajak doesn't sign his name like this, he should.

F Minus

Mary Worth

What. The. gently caress.

Rex Morgan MD

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

The idea that it's any less arbitrary or wink wink nudge nudge than League, a book that got so far up itself you needed annotated annotations, is amusing to me. Oh no, the comic book for middle schoolers made a joke.
Regardless of arbitrariness or wink winks, League is more internally consistent and stands outside of its reference material rather than on top of them, is all I was saying.

And I'm unafraid to admit that Moore's creative density is something that I really enjoy as a reader.

vvv: Yeah, I haven't read the Black Dossier

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 10, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

This is all pre-Century League we're talking about right

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gotta be Pre-Black Dossier, or there is a vast difference in definition of internal consistence.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (March 21, 1927)

These kids here all look mad as hell about everything at all times.

I suppose this guy has a point, here, though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

All you need to know about this little joke, plus the inspiration for the cover of the Tales Too Ticklish To Tell collection.

See above.

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

:10bux: says that Africa will look exactly like the generic forest where he lives now.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Well, watching Mary meddle a kid out of a crippling LSD addiction is surely going to be more interesting than reading about a dude trying to get a job.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Mark Trail Catchup

"So where in Africa are you sending me?"
"Oh, you know. The general area."
"Can you narrow it down to a specific country?"
"No."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

The fairies aren't real, neither is the child. Mary is suffering from senile dementia. She's been talking to a garbage bin the whole time.

• Locked thread