Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
How well does the game represent travel time to and from matches?

I ask because it might be interesting if, for next year's pre-season, you hit the USA to show us what English football looks like.

And then maybe visit some of the other erstwhile possessions. Call it the British Empire Memorial Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

AJ_Impy posted:

Surely if a criminal gets away with his crime unpunished for fifty years, he deserves to get off scot free?

No. The fact they've never earned their place and had a hundred years living off that false-won placing makes it far worse, not better.

As for being worse than Franchise FC? They set a precedent by which Franchise FC was able to exist at all. If not for Woolwich losing their football team, Merton may not have lost theirs.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of arsenal, I'm not trying to be a devils advocate, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.

That said, I get that you're being facetious in asking that question, but there is a statute of limitations of up to 12 years - admittedly this is outside of CRIMINAL actions such as Serious violence, robbery, burglary, theft, sexual assault and murder for which there is no statute.

The way you're talking about their staying in the league indicates that there's proof positive beyond shadow of a doubt that the only reason they're in the league is through bribery and backroom deals - regardless of how they got in (merit, or bribery), they've been there since the league expanded by your own admission. This to me indicates that by virtue of having survived there, they deserve to be there.

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So what's the Australian equivalent of know your role and shut your mouth?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

tanglewood1420 posted:

A professional foul is an offence that means deliberately fouling an opponent who is in an advantageous position e.g. clipping their ankles to make them fall over after they've dribbled past you or pulling them down via their jersey when they are through against the goalkeeper. It doesn't require any dangerous conduct to be a red card. Generally it's a yellow and is quite common in the modern game, you see it all the time when players 'accidentally' trip others in midfield after they've beaten them with neat footwork or a clever one-two etc., but if the foul prevents a potential goalscoring opportunity then it's a red card.

Yeah. The thing is that Cirjak wasn't beaten and it certainly wasn't a goal scoring opportunity. Cirjak looks like he tried to poke the ball away between the other guy's legs from behind, while the guy was miles from the penalty area and had his back to the goal. I'm sure the game intended it to be a professional foul, but it just didn't come across that way in how it was presented.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

So what's going to happen to your ex-captain now?

He's going to serve a three game suspension. After that, we'll see. If he and I can patch up our relationship I'd like to keep him, but if someone offers us 30m for him this summer I'll likely take the offer.

The Sandman posted:

I ask because it might be interesting if, for next year's pre-season, you hit the USA to show us what English football looks like.

And then maybe visit some of the other erstwhile possessions. Call it the British Empire Memorial Tour.

I would love to tour the US, but unfortunately MLS plays during the summer and we wouldn't be able to get any matches. I'll put it up for a vote at the end of the season as to where we should go touring this summer, though.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of arsenal, I'm not trying to be a devils advocate, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.

That said, I get that you're being facetious in asking that question, but there is a statute of limitations of up to 12 years - admittedly this is outside of CRIMINAL actions such as Serious violence, robbery, burglary, theft, sexual assault and murder for which there is no statute.

The way you're talking about their staying in the league indicates that there's proof positive beyond shadow of a doubt that the only reason they're in the league is through bribery and backroom deals - regardless of how they got in (merit, or bribery), they've been there since the league expanded by your own admission. This to me indicates that by virtue of having survived there, they deserve to be there.

I'll hold my hand up to a bad analogy. But as counterpoint to the virtue of longevity, every other team in the league, even Franchise FC, is in their present division through having earned promotion or suffered relegation. Every single one. Arsenal are a precious little snowflake to whom that doesn't apply. Even if you reject the allegations of skulduggery, it remains true that they did not conventionally earn their place. That needs to end.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

So how is the UEFA Super Cup viewed in importance?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Dreamsicle posted:

Not really, a step above the Community Shield but generally regarded as an afterthought.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Dreamsicle posted:

Much like the Club World Cup, it's a glorified friendly that not a single team has ever taken seriously.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yep, the only reason to win it is because it's there and you want a complete trophy collection.\

In descending order of importance an EPL club's supporters would probably desire a Champions League title (10/10), a Premier League title (9/10), Champions League qualification (8/10), a FA Cup (7.5/10), a Europa League title (7/10), and a League cup (5/10). Everything under that doesn't much matter. A lot of fans of good but not great teams actively don't want Europa League qualification because of the sheer number of games a team has to play for a much lesser award. Winning the Europa League is nice, but blowing a chance at a top 4 finish because you're playing 12 extra games in Eastern Europe is not considered worth it.

ETA: An update on the prediction contest.

The date is March 31st.
We've played 53 matches.
We've scored 133 goals.
We have between 8 and 13 more matches to play, depending on how much deeper we get in the Champion's League and FA Cup.
At our current pace of scoring that comes to between 153 and 166 total goals.
Dreamsicle predicted 156 goals, blakout predicted 158. It's going to be close!

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 10, 2014

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Yep, the only reason to win it is because it's there and you want a complete trophy collection.\

In descending order of importance an EPL club's supporters would probably desire a Champions League title (10/10), a Premier League title (9/10), Champions League qualification (8/10), a FA Cup (7.5/10), a Europa League title (7/10), and a League cup (5/10). Everything under that doesn't much matter. A lot of fans of good but not great teams actively don't want Europa League qualification because of the sheer number of games a team has to play for a much lesser award. Winning the Europa League is nice, but blowing a chance at a top 4 finish because you're playing 12 extra games in Eastern Europe is not considered worth it.

I see.

Also, I noticed that Bamford also has 44 goals in a season to be Wrexham's leader. How likely will it be for The Most Electrifying Striker in Europe to break that record considering there's only 38 games in a Premier League season?

Blakout, if you win, you better give Bailey a push or at least give Wrexham more competition in the Prem.

EDIT: With all the cards and fouls we have, is Wrexham technically the dirtiest team in the game? Yeah I know that some if not many of those cards were unjustified but in the record books people won't remember that. I think.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 10, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

How likely will it be for The Most Electrifying Striker in Europe to break that record considering there's only 38 games in a Premier League season?

He isn't going to. If he sets the Premier League record, which he probably won't this year as he needs eight goals in six games, that alone would be an amazing feat and put him on the same level as Luis Suarez and Cristiano Ronaldo. Scoring 20+ in the Prem is the mark of an elite striker, since the Premier League went to 38 games a year after the conclusion of the 1994-1995 season only six men have scored twenty or more in consecutive seasons. Only two have did it three years in a row. Thierry Henry managed it five years in a row, which is nuts.*

Bastable has now done it three years straight. No one else has even managed back to back years over 20 since the game began.

*Alan Shearer would definitely have managed it even in shorter seasons back in the early 90s.

eta: We're 5th in the Premier League with 40 yellows through 32 matches. We're first by a good amount with 5 reds. drat you Cirjak and Suslov!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Last thing of the night.

Our player's statistics:

Who was it who thought Cardozo might not be quite the budding star? I think 17 goals in 15 starts is a pretty good first year for a 21 year old. This is probably the best offense I've ever had in FM, I usually focus more on building up my back four when I hit the big time.

edit: deleted spoilers.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 10, 2014

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dreamsicle posted:

I see.

Also, I noticed that Bamford also has 44 goals in a season to be Wrexham's leader. How likely will it be for The Most Electrifying Striker in Europe to break that record considering there's only 38 games in a Premier League season?

Blakout, if you win, you better give Bailey a push or at least give Wrexham more competition in the Prem.

EDIT: With all the cards and fouls we have, is Wrexham technically the dirtiest team in the game? Yeah I know that some if not many of those cards were unjustified but in the record books people won't remember that. I think.

My boon is more internationally minded though it could involve Bailey depending on how crazy we can get with the editor

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 10, 2014

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

A minor request and feel free to disregard it if you or others don't agree but in future could you spoiler tag stuff like this?

habeasdorkus posted:

Our results through the next update:

I know it sounds stupid but I like the tension of not knowing how we're going to do ahead of time and seeing that we're fine kind of takes the wind and excitement out of things.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Zip! posted:

A minor request and feel free to disregard it if you or others don't agree but in future could you spoiler tag stuff like this?

I know it sounds stupid but I like the tension of not knowing how we're going to do ahead of time and seeing that we're fine kind of takes the wind and excitement out of things.

Are you also one of those people who avoids knowing the scores before MOTD? I know I am, when we're away (too hard to avoid scores at a football ground with the tellys everywhere).

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Not so much; I tend to keep up with the BBC/Guardian Minute by Minutes but perhaps I should and it might make things more interesting when I can't get to matches.

I guess in this case it'd be like BBC posting the full time score score then doing a minute by minute - takes the excitement out of it somewhat, for me at least anyway.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

AJ_Impy posted:

Arsenal should be destroyed and must be destroyed. :colbert:

How would you react if I told you that the English textbooks my Junior High Schools use (I teach in Japan) included Arsenal fans?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Akujiki posted:

How would you react if I told you that the English textbooks my Junior High Schools use (I teach in Japan) included Arsenal fans?

With ambivalence: The fans are people, after all, and their preference for a sports team does not in any way impinge on who they are or how they should be considered. It's the institution I can't stand.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

AJ_Impy posted:

With ambivalence: The fans are people, after all, and their preference for a sports team does not in any way impinge on who they are or how they should be considered. It's the institution I can't stand.

:(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zip! posted:

I agree. Knowing results ahead of time sort of feels like an incentive to just blast through the update.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Understandable, I'll try to hold off in the future.

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Who was it who thought Cardozo might not be quite the budding star? I think 17 goals in 15 starts is a pretty good first year for a 21 year old. This is probably the best offense I've ever had in FM, I usually focus more on building up my back four when I hit the big time.

That would be me.

I'd been meaning to comment on that for the past several updates. When I saw his stats the only thing I could think was how he was the most underwhelming wonderkid I'd ever seen in the game. He sure proved me wrong didn't he? :)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't disagree with you. :)

He only had 10 goals for Velez last season. I signed him as much for his future potential as for what he'd contribute right away, three scouts with a 20 Judge Potential rating said he could be a star and his Model Professional personality made it very likely he'd reach his full promise. His strongest trait is also performing in Important Matches, which is also huge. I expected him to be roughly equal to our loaner Di Martino from last year, and instead he's our third highest scorer.

I'm glad he's been great, it would be a pity to waste an awesome nickname on a mediocre player. Nobody escapes El Juez! Now if I could just think up a good nickname for Taborda, who's also been great when healthy. He's from the northwestern part of the Buenos Aires metro area, San Fernando. I wish he were Patagonian, then I could call him El Gaucho.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Ninth: ♪How much is that kid in the window?♫
February 28, 2022-April 1, 2022

We're scheduled for five straight home matches. We can use it as a springboard to regain our balance in the Premiership, as well as advance in both the FA Cup and the Champions League. If we get through this month alive in all competitions we're going to be closing in on a potential triple.

Our performance when we've been on TV hasn't been great, even taking into account that most of our opposition has been strong. Against smaller reputation sides we've got two wins (both against Swansea) and two draws (against Reading and Aston Villa). That's not great, considering we've won almost two thirds of our matches so far.

I doubt Chelsea's fans and owner will be happy with just winning the League Cup if they don't also finish top four.

That's an almost insultingly small amount of money. Proof positive that no one cares about the League Cup.

vs. Liverpool, March 1, 2022
Premier League

We've got just one win in our last four league matches, while Liverpool are one of two teams to have beaten us in the Premier League this season. That's one of only six wins for the Reds, they're sitting perilously close to the relegation zone.

Starting Formation: 4-2-3-1 Control
Starting 11: Kovacevic, Pejkovic, Feruga, Todd, Suslov, Morvan, Petts, Nieddu, Shirra, Mujkic (c), Bastable.
Subs: El Sayed, Mejasic, Laux, Mair, Julio, Taborda, Cardozo.

We're taking plenty of shots, but not making any of them count. Bastable puts the ball in the back of the net twice, and is twice adjudged offside. We keep pressing, though, and are finally rewarded two minutes into the first half stoppage time with a Golden Boy goal after Mujkic deaked two defenders to set him up. Shirra and Mujkic combine for a second goal just before an hour has passed, sending the capacity crowd into raptures. We finally beat a team that we're supposed to, and never looked like losing in the process.

Man of the Match: Scott Shirra

Wrexham 2-0 Liverpool

Not quite, Wrexham went twenty games without a loss from January through November 1902. If we don't lose to either Bradford or Watford, we'll match that streak and have a chance of breaking it against Bayern. Regardless of how much longer this run lasts it's a wonderful accomplishment.

vs. Bradford, March 6, 2022
FA Cup, Sixth Round

Our youth squad would be even odds to beat Bradford at this point. I'm not going to completely rest our regulars, but now's a good chance to see how some of the kids do. United, City, and Stoke are all through to the semis already, obviously if we get by Bradford I'm hoping for Stoke in the semi-final.

Starting 11: El Sayed, Pejkovic, Feruga (c), O'Hanlon, Mejasic, Morvan, Petts, Argenti, Rouissi, Taborda, Cardozo.
Subs: Kovacevic, Laux, Alvaro, Dixon, Bailey, Mujkic, De Blasio.

Despite having the ball two-thirds of the time it takes over half an hour for us to get a shot off, and that isn't even on target. It's not like Bradford is threatening us, but it's frustrating to watch these minnows stonewall us. I open up the game, telling our players to stop faffing about with the short passing and run at our opponents. It works, to an extent. We have plenty of chances and send the ball off the posts and crossbar on three occasions, but we still don't put Bradford away. We're forced into a replay, a humiliating result given the disparity in stature between our clubs.

Man of the Match: Dinko Mejasic

Wrexham 0-0 Bradford

If When we beat Bradford we'll get to play Manchester City. If we get past them we'll probably have a rematch in the final against United.

Hey, ol' Danny Higgs made a team of the week.

Our youth system is starting to look barren as the players I purchased three years ago age out of the U18s. It's time to spend a few million quid to restock the farm, we don't want our pretty new facilities going to waste.

vs. Watford, March 13, 2022
Premier League

Watford are only a point out above the bottom three. Beating them will allow us to still have a realistic chance to catch Manchester City for the title.

Starting 11: Kovacevic, Pejkovic, Laux, Todd, Suslov, Morvan, Petts, Nieddu, Shirra, Mujkic (c), Bastable.
Subs: El Sayed, Mejasic, Feruga, Mair, Julio, Taborda, Cardozo.

Things aren't going as planned, as Watford have more chances through 30 minutes. This will simply not do. Our front four are doing nothing, and haven't looked like a threat all game. That doesn't resolve itself despite tactical tweaks, the closest we have to a goal is Nieddu being called offside (he was) and having a goal called back in the 58th minute. I bring on Taborda and Cardozo for Mujkic and Bastable, hoping the fresh legs will help. It doesn't. Shirra and Mujkic each have their worst games of the season as we squander every opportunity that comes our way. We may not have lost in a score of matches, but we've only won six of our last fourteen. We're watching our Premier League title aspirations fall away, with seven games remaining we're five points back of Manchester City.

Man of the Match: Oleg Suslov

Wrexham 0-0 Watford

We need the influx of foreign teens. Our youth academy is not producing even Premier League talent, much less the Champions League talent we could use at this point. I might need to find a new youth director and shake things up.

By the time I'm done we'll have a whole new squad in the Youth Barn.

Petts and Laux are both due to earn their first caps, they're the only senior team players I haven't asked to play just 45 minutes a match. I'm especially excited for Petts, he's never once played for England at any level and it's quite an accomplishment for him to make the team at the age of 25.

vs. Bayern Munich, March 16, 2022
Champions League, First Knockout Round Home Leg

I'd like to think we're safe to advance given a two goal lead, but the way we've played the last two matches is execrable.

Starting 11: Kovacevic, Cirjak, Feruga, Todd, Suslov, Mair, Shirra, Nieddu, Taborda, Mujkic (c), Bastable.
Subs: El Sayed, Pejkovic, Dixon, Petts, Matko, Cardozo.

Bayern nearly halve our lead in the first minute, but their striker misses a sitter. Taborda nearly extends our lead moments later, but clanks a free kick off the post. This match won't lack for excitement. We do a solid job of controlling play and preventing Bayern from breaking out, but it's still only a 2-0 lead with 30 to play after Bastable misses a chance at 57 minutes. I'm starting to get nervous. I shouldn't be.

Meteor breaks out of his slump with a goal from an extremely narrow angle that floats above the keeper and into the side netting inside the far post in the 64th minute. It's a good thing he added to our lead as Bayern finally strike for a goal of their own just minutes later. The German megabastards fight valiantly to the end, but we resolutely hold them off and march into the quarterfinals with quite a scalp to add to our trophy collection.

Wrexham (3) 1-(1) 1 Bayern

Laux and Feruga will have to suffice in the first match we play against whoever's next.

And we'll get even more from the quarterfinals.

Sure, keep on underestimating us. Just like Bayern did. I wonder who we'll draw. Porto and PSV are the two easiest draws, while Real Madrid would be the hardest team we could face.

Rodrigo Jiminez is the 23 year old, £39m rated “midfield general” of Bayern Munich. He thinks I'm an amazing coach. If he wouldn't cost three arms and four legs in transfer fees, and over 20% of our wage budget besides, I'd be very interested in signing him.

We've spent £2.1m so far on teen players, with all but the Netherlands and Spain already picked over.

Fourth time's the charm? This is the most protracted club sale I've ever witnessed.

Well that's a tough ask. Real Madrid have only lost four matches all season across all competitions, and haven't lost a match since a 2-1 defeat to Valencia in the away leg of their Copa del Ray quarterfinal in January. That's not to sell ourselves short, we've only lost five times all season and our last loss was to Manchester City all the way back in 2021, but while I thought we had a real chance to topple Bayern Munich beating Real Madrid would be a shock and a half.

drat you Paul Elliot! This puts Bastable out for the home leg against Real Madrid! And of course he played the full 90 minutes, as did Mujkic. I hate you, Australia. I hate you so much.

Congratulations, Mattias. I expect you'll be a starting centerback for Germany for a decade to come. Sadly, Petts did not get into a game and remains uncapped for England.

vs. Derby County, March 26, 2022
Premier League

Can we please win a danged game? We've drawn three matches in a row, against opposition as varied as Bradford and Bayern. Derby's sitting in 12th place right now and we beat them the last two times we've played, but at this point no final score would surprise me.

Starting 11: Kovacevic, Cirjak, Laux, Todd, Mejasic, Morvan, Petts, Nieddu (c), Julio, Taborda, Cardozo.
Subs: El Sayed, Pejkovic, O'Hanlon, Dixon, Bailey, Matko, Aarts.

This is more like it. We take an early lead in the 12th minute when Julio plunks in a Wrexham-seeking cross from Taborda, and then 20 minutes later Taborda makes it 2-0 when the Derby keeper deflects a Nieddu shot directly to him for an easy finish. The lads stay sharp in the second half despite the firm lead, and their hard work pays off in Julio's second goal, this time set up by Nieddu. Dimitri caps the thrashing with an opportunistic effort in the 89th minute when he's first to a ball that had been swept away from El Juez. It's an excellent victory, and we take care of business against midtable opponents for the first time in what seems like ages.

Man of the Match: Julio

Wrexham 4-0 Derby

Congratulations on the modern day record, Bailey. You're a long way from catching Arfon Griffin and his 592 league appearances, though, and you'll be overtaken by Mujkic (currently at 192 league appearances) at some point next year. Meteor actually has more total appearances, 260 to Bailey's 252, thanks to the greater number of continental and cup matches he's gotten into.

Maybe all my whining had an effect on the producers.

It's been a while since the team of the week was rife with Dragons.

vs. Real Madrid, March 30, 2022
Champions League, Quarterfinal Home Leg

Well, this should be interesting. We drew 1-1 with Real Madrid all the way back in the pre-season at the Bernabeu, but that was just a friendly. If we can come away with any sort of result to give us hope for the second leg it will be huge.

Starting 11: Kovacevic, Cirjak, Laux, Feruga, Suslov, Morvan, Petts, Nieddu, Shirra, Mujkic (c), Cardozo.
Subs: El Sayed, Pejkovic, O'Hanlon, Mair, Julio, Taborda, Aarts.

Dimitri Nieddu doesn't make the home fans wait long, scoring less than 120 seconds into the match with a second effort goal after his first shot bounced straight into the air off of Cristian Reartes, the best defensive midfielder in the world. Nieddu tracked it and laced it out of the air before it hit the ground for the goal. Scott Shirra follows up Nieddu's effort with a “magical” goal in the 14th minute, beating the center back on the break and scoring after a Meteor pass.

They're Real Madrid for a reason, though. Reigning and two time Ballon d'Or holder Mattias Mercado pulls one back on the counter attack in the first half, and the Spaniards come out firing when play resumes in the second. But our victory is sealed in the 62nd minute when the same centerback who was burned by Shirra holds down Mattias Laux during a corner. Shirra coolly converts for his second goal of the day, and it'd 3-1 Wrexham. We can't take complete confidence or comfort in our victory, though. Real Madrid score a second away goal in stoppage time, once more from Mattias Mercado.

Wrexham 3-2 Real Madrid

We're going to need to play brilliantly to advance, if we lose even 1-0 we'll be out due to Real Madrid's away goals in the last match. Things would be much more in hand had we been able to hold onto the 3-1 lead. It seems churlish to complain, we just beat Real friggin' Madrid in a Champions League quarterfinal game.

That does it for youth signings. We spent a total of £2.2m on eight players, all of whom we control for at least the next five years. All of them will be capable of holding down at least a rotation role if they develop reasonably quickly and the sale of just one of them should pay back what we spent on the lot.

Manchester City is going to need to drop two of their next six games while we win out (including a home match against Arsenal and a trip to Manchester United) if we're to win the league, but qualifying for the Champions League looks a lock. We've still got Bradford City to put away in the FA Cup, and it'll have to be on the backs of our youth and reserves given that we play the away leg of the Champions League quarterfinal in six days. But we did what we needed to against Real Madrid, and with luck we'll be through to the semis. If that happens, who knows how things will turn out. It's April Fools and we're alive in three competitions. We haven't lost since the calendar read 2021, and we broke a 120 year old record for longest unbeaten streak. Can you feel the excitement?

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

I seriously can't believe you hate an institution for something it did 100 years ago. The people who were responsible for this are long freaking dead. Do you also hate Germany for being Nazis once? I mean there are people who absolutely hate Germany but they are either survivors of the war or children of survivors. Also their hate is a bit more justified than you know, because some club got into an extended league without qualifying "fairly".

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Eh, I'm taking AJ_Impy's statements with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure you could get me on as great a torrent of vitriol about the New York Yankees if you caught me at the right moment.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

habeasdorkus posted:

Eh, I'm taking AJ_Impy's statements with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure you could get me on as great a torrent of vitriol about the New York Yankees if you caught me at the right moment.

After 2004, you have no right to ever complain about the Yankees again.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

habeasdorkus posted:

Let's face it, we all have a sworn enemy or two when it comes to sports. If you got me at the wrong time (like right after the German Darts Masters) I'm sure I'd have torn your head off if you said anything remotely positive about Phil Taylor.

It comes with being a fan of any kind of sports that you have some sort of arch-nemesis that you would utterly destroy given a chance.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Let's face it, we all have a sworn enemy or two when it comes to sports. If you got me at the wrong time (like right after the German Darts Masters) I'm sure I'd have torn your head off if you said anything remotely positive about Phil Taylor.

It comes with being a fan of any kind of sports that you have some sort of arch-nemesis that you would utterly destroy given a chance.

As a Mets fan I'm more hopeful they play well instead of sticking it to the Phillies.

I miss 2006. :gonk:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
If we're discussing long standing hatred of sports team, I just have on thing to say.

gently caress the Leafs.

gently caress DA LEAFS.

:canada:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

FailAtMagic posted:

I seriously can't believe you hate an institution for something it did 100 years ago. The people who were responsible for this are long freaking dead. Do you also hate Germany for being Nazis once? I mean there are people who absolutely hate Germany but they are either survivors of the war or children of survivors. Also their hate is a bit more justified than you know, because some club got into an extended league without qualifying "fairly".

Hibernian still hate Celtic for backstabbing and stealing everything that was there's 130 years ago. Rangers still hate Celtic due to 100 years of religious rivalry and vice versa. Everyone hates MK Dons for obvious reasons.

There are so many examples of this, it's far from unique to Spurs and L'Arse and to be frank, it's part of what gives football it's personality.

Arsenal are definitely up there on the list of 'football clubs who only exist due to screwing others over', it's part of why I don't like them because Celtic did the same thing to come into existence.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

To be fair he's only hating on Arsenal's achievements because his own club don't have a whole lot worth celebrating.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Zip! posted:

To be fair he's only hating on Arsenal's achievements because his own club don't have a whole lot worth celebrating.

They can always celebrate not being Arsenal, that's a pretty big achievement. :smuggo:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Rooting for sports teams is an inherently irrational endeavor. Rival teams doubly so.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

A Tartan Tory posted:

They can always celebrate not being Arsenal, that's a pretty big achievement. :smuggo:

I suppose they do like to embrace mediocrity so it would be right up their street ;)

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

How did you not sell out a Champion's League Quarterfinal game against Real Fuckin' Madrid? Are the tickets really so expensive that the good people of Wrexham and/or northern Wales not want to see you beat one of the most prestigious teams in the world in the biggest club competition in the world?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Zip! posted:

I suppose they do like to embrace mediocrity so it would be right up their street ;)

Lets face it, North London is all about mediocrity. I mean one trophy each in the past ten years? Pfft.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

How did you not sell out a Champion's League Quarterfinal game against Real Fuckin' Madrid? Are the tickets really so expensive that the good people of Wrexham and/or northern Wales not want to see you beat one of the most prestigious teams in the world in the biggest club competition in the world?

In-universe, there were probably seats reserved for RM supporters to purchase, and some of those didn't sell.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Sandman posted:

In-universe, there were probably seats reserved for RM supporters to purchase, and some of those didn't sell.

Would make sense as to why the Bayern game didn't sell out either. I have no clue how we didn't sell out, our average ticket price is 16th in all of England, 38 quid a seat isn't that high. We've had the highest percentage of seats filled in the league the last two years, too.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Lets face it, North London is all about mediocrity. I mean one trophy each in the past ten years? Pfft.

I know, even Liverpool managed more than that. :D

blakout posted:

Rooting for sports teams is an inherently irrational endeavor. Rival teams doubly so.

Sports are where I get my jingoism and irrational hatred fix, I can be a complete jackass without feeling too guilty about it because it's just a game instead of something that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I have an amazing mental image of a huge group of Real Madrid fans with a map of the UK trying desperately to find Wrexham. It seems to be rather difficult to get to.

• Locked thread