Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a non-pilot. Why exactly is the EtD thing bad?

A few years ago the pilot group reluctantly agreed to making concessions (pay cuts among other things) in order to help dig the company out of a rut, meanwhile at the executive level they're getting six figure pay increases.

Now Delta is offering a way for endeavor pilots to more easily get jobs flying for mainline Delta, but current pilots are exempt from the offer and only brand new hires will be allowed to participate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Basically, the company was going down the shitter, so the pilots stepped up and took some of the load off to keep it afloat. Now the company needs to rebuild, and so they're pandering to new pilots so they can get more employees, yet they're giving the shaft to the people that stuck with them and helped keep the company going.

Edit: Missed the last post, what he said!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Bravo posted:

Basically, the company was going down the shitter, so the pilots stepped up and took some of the load off to keep it afloat. Now the company needs to rebuild, and so they're pandering to new pilots so they can get more employees, yet they're giving the shaft to the people that stuck with them and helped keep the company going.

Edit: Missed the last post, what he said!

Next step is all the expensive old pilots start finding new jobs because they were treated like poo poo and are replaced by cheaper new guys that are dreaming of a delta 717.

This plan can only fail if the time requirements for ATP were dramatically raised leading to a shortage of pilots to replace the disgruntled veterans with.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

hobbesmaster posted:

Next step is all the expensive old pilots start finding new jobs because they were treated like poo poo and are replaced by cheaper new guys that are dreaming of a delta 717.
Where are the old expensive guys going to go? If you were making ~$110k and getting your first bid every month would you really want to go to a major so you can sit on reserve in the right seat of a 73 earning less than what you do now?

Meanwhile the cheap young guys at the regionals are looking to get out ASAP. They don't want to wait around for some ETD/Flow/Pref Hire type program. Delta is going to be hiring non Endevor guys off the street while the ETD guys sit there waiting. Same thing is going to happen with American and envoy/PSA as well as United and expressjet.

Or put it another way. Old expensive regional guys are going to stay, young cheap regional guys are going to bounce, and flow programs are complete bullshit.

hobbesmaster posted:

This plan can only fail if the time requirements for ATP were dramatically raised leading to a shortage of pilots to replace the disgruntled veterans with.

Not gonna happen. We're already seeing the industry push back against the ATP rule. No way is there enough support to raise the time requirements for the ATP.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Flow through is especially bullshit in the case of wholly owned regionals. Why would you poach all the pilots from your own regional, when you can do it from the competition and then hurt them with attrition. It's in their interest to keep that flow at a trickle.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Animal posted:

Flow through is especially bullshit in the case of wholly owned regionals. Why would you poach all the pilots from your own regional, when you can do it from the competition and then hurt them with attrition. It's in their interest to keep that flow at a trickle.

The idea is that you poach the senior guys who are "Too expensive" to be regional pilots and cut their costs by re-starting them at mainline. A young pilot staff is a cheap pilot staff. The only problem is that you have to have new guys getting hired at your regional for this to work.

Of course they're demanding concessions in return for the flow and are confused as to why they keep getting shot down. So the old guys they WANT to get rid of get too old to leave and become lifers, and the new guys go to some other airline that actually has a future. The net result is a super expensive regional pilot group that's mad as hell but you can't get rid of because no one is willing to replace them.

Everybody loses.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was more writing what the company thinks they're doing and was trying to make a joke about last year's hours requirement changes throwing off all the regionals.

So glad I was talked out of trying to pursue this as a career.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

RandomPauI posted:

I'm a non-pilot. Why exactly is the EtD thing bad?

The US regional airlines are having a hard time hiring new pilots due to the combination of terrible pay/work conditions and newish FAA rules increasing how many hours are needed to earn the Airline Transport Pilot certificate required to fly for an airline. They are looking for ways to fix their pilot shortage without increasing pay or improving work conditions, and in this case their proposed solution has the added benefit of angering their existing pilots by exempting them from the fast path to a major airline offered to new hires.

This Frontline documentary is 4 years old but talks about the conditions at regional airlines as part of a discussion of the Colgan Air 3407 crash, the crash that led to the rule changes.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

How hard would it be to hold PDX? GEG? Are either commutable from seattle?

From what I've heard, most people are getting their first base choice out of training right now, so either of those shouldn't be too hard to get. QX runs a lot of PDX-SEA shuttle flights daily, so commuting between them shouldn't be too bad, although those flights tend to be pretty full. I'm not sure how many GEG-SEA flights there are, but I think there are a few to Seattle and Portland every day.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

PDX and SEA are only 2.5 hours apart by car. If I lived in one and was based in another I'd probably just drive it. It's probably only slightly slower than commuting and you're never going to get left behind or miss the last flight of the night.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yeah, SEA would obviously be my preferred base but I feel PDX could be OK. GEG tho.. It's a shithole. And it's only 4 hours, but especially in the winter the passes get pretty bad. Plus the gas is kind of expensive if you're doing that trip constantly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fordan posted:

The US regional airlines are having a hard time hiring new pilots due to the combination of terrible pay/work conditions and newish FAA rules increasing how many hours are needed to earn the Airline Transport Pilot certificate required to fly for an airline. They are looking for ways to fix their pilot shortage without increasing pay or improving work conditions, and in this case their proposed solution has the added benefit of angering their existing pilots by exempting them from the fast path to a major airline offered to new hires.

This Frontline documentary is 4 years old but talks about the conditions at regional airlines as part of a discussion of the Colgan Air 3407 crash, the crash that led to the rule changes.

Worth pointing out if you're unfamiliar, RandomPauI, that the ATP wasn't required prior to the ATP Law/1,500 Hour Rule law being put in place. The minimum to fly commercially for a regional airline is 1,500 hours, with some convoluted educational exceptions reducing it to as low as 1,000.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Also re: Horizon: all this still true?

4:1 trip rig, 2:1 duty rig, 100% deadhead, 12 days off min (in 35 day bid). Mostly 4 day trips.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

The Slaughter posted:

4:1 trip rig, 2:1 duty rig, 100% deadhead, 12 days off min (in 35 day bid). Mostly 4 day trips.

What language is this :allears:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Not sure on the trip and duty rig, but we do get 100% deadhead. Most lines have 15-18 days off, with reserve lines being a couple days less than that. The trips vary a bit, but are mostly 2-4 days, although there are quite a few day trips in the system as well.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
After graduating in May and mulling the idea of different flight schools in the Chicagoland area I think I'm going to just go to a pilot mill for a year or so instead. I'm not exactly sure which to go to, I've been thinking about Transpac, US Aviation, or Aerosim

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

KodiakRS posted:

PDX and SEA are only 2.5 hours apart by car. If I lived in one and was based in another I'd probably just drive it. It's probably only slightly slower than commuting and you're never going to get left behind or miss the last flight of the night.

The slog is awful and you will want to kill yourself between JBLM and Tacoma regardless of which direction you're going. Take it from someone who's lived for years in both cities and dated someone in the other. I've made that drive more times than i want to count.

Curious, though: how many times would you have to make that "commute"?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
I've got my Canadian PPL and about 100 hours, but the last time I flew as PIC was November, 2008.

I believe to get back into flying I will need to do a flight review and re-write the PSTAR. Does anyone know what is involved in the flight review?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Theoretically everything on the flight test. However in reality it will be whatever the instructor needs to be confident in your abilities.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Duke Chin posted:

The slog is awful and you will want to kill yourself between JBLM and Tacoma regardless of which direction you're going. Take it from someone who's lived for years in both cities and dated someone in the other. I've made that drive more times than i want to count.

Curious, though: how many times would you have to make that "commute"?

Well it'd be me driving it and I don't know with a regional schedule how often I'd be driving it as a line holder, I assume it depends if I am on reserve or a line holder.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
To the dude considering Transpac: don't go to Transpac.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I'm an active cfi with my own airplane to teach out of..... Might be worth a shot versus the farms.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
In that case, go to Transpac.

I kid, I kid. The pilot farms suck, but Transpac doesn't even get you done fast - it takes like 9 months.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

In that case, go to Transpac.

I kid, I kid. The pilot farms suck, but Transpac doesn't even get you done fast - it takes like 9 months.

I meant as a cfi. I'm at 400 hours and I've been debating whether to try and have some fun and do aerial survey or just get these hours over with. Right now I'm leaning towards the latter that's why I'm considering the pilot mills.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Oh. At Transpac I was only getting 50 hrs/mo on average. I went there with 270 and after a year I left with like 900. Ymmv, it's hugely variable.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

I went there with 270 and after a year I left with like 900.

And you nearly lost your sanity.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
It's salaried though right? I like that more than hourly

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
This is probably a long shot, but if anyone here would like to work in air ambulance on a week on/week off schedule flying King Airs, live in or commute to Amarillo, TX, and you have 1000+ multi PIC (preferably turbine, but I can work with your piston time... I can also work with you if you have SE turbine PIC instead of multi) PM me.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Stupid Post Maker posted:

It's salaried though right? I like that more than hourly

I was salary yeah but it was only like $28k a year.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

The Slaughter posted:

I was salary yeah but it was only like $28k a year.

Not too good but unfortunately that's competitive and probably beats first year regional pay

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

greasyhands posted:

This is probably a long shot, but if anyone here would like to work in air ambulance on a week on/week off schedule flying King Airs, live in or commute to Amarillo, TX, and you have 1000+ multi PIC (preferably turbine, but I can work with your piston time... I can also work with you if you have SE turbine PIC instead of multi) PM me.

I have 70hrs in a king air but I'm really really good. Where do I sign

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Not too good but unfortunately that's competitive and probably beats first year regional pay

You're probably right, but how well do you think you're going to handle students that barely have a grasp on English, much less on flying? I ask because I've been instructing in a similar situation for the last 8 months. Like Slaughter, I'm close to losing my mind and am counting down the hours until I can bail for SkyWest or Horizon.

With that being said, I've flown close to 600 hours since starting last year and am on track to reach Part 135 mins at the end of June :stonklol:

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Butt Reactor posted:

You're probably right, but how well do you think you're going to handle students that barely have a grasp on English, much less on flying? I ask because I've been instructing in a similar situation for the last 8 months. Like Slaughter, I'm close to losing my mind and am counting down the hours until I can bail for SkyWest or Horizon.

With that being said, I've flown close to 600 hours since starting last year and am on track to reach Part 135 mins at the end of June :stonklol:

I had one student like that at my university, it was pretty tough I admit that. They're shy and say yes to anything you ask them even when they have absolutely no idea. But still my goal is to be an airline pilot so I might as well get there as fast as possible

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

greasyhands posted:

I'm ATC at KAMA, which King Air are you hiring for? I see medevac King Airs flying in and out of Tradewind all the time.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Zochness posted:

I'm ATC at KAMA, which King Air are you hiring for? I see medevac King Airs flying in and out of Tradewind all the time.

Haha, geez these forums. That is us. We have 2 90s and a 200.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

azflyboy posted:

I'm not sure how many GEG-SEA flights there are, but I think there are a few to Seattle and Portland every day.

They're nearly every hour or so. I used to work for AS and flew back and forth weekly for a year. It's now changed a lot with only QX planes going there. There were options for GEG-PDX-SEA as well. Sometimes flights get pretty full, though, especially in relation to school things like holidays and sports events.

That was 10 years ago, though. Crazy... didn't realize it had been that long.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

I had one student like that at my university, it was pretty tough I admit that. They're shy and say yes to anything you ask them even when they have absolutely no idea. But still my goal is to be an airline pilot so I might as well get there as fast as possible

Airline life can suck hard. It's not a race. Enjoy the fricken ride.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

greasyhands posted:

Just curious, what is the salary range for something like this?

fake edit: I accept PMs!

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Zochness posted:

You workin tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

xaarman posted:

You workin tonight?

STOP coming to Lubbock to do your overhead breaks when I've got a student soloing!!!!!!!

Looking at you Brake 58

• Locked thread