Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dynamic Cloth Technology
This poll is closed.
Dynamic 18 18.56%
Cloth 58 59.79%
Technology 21 21.65%
Total: 97 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sba posted:

I think that's the thing...they're going to slap a coat of paint on it this year, and next year is when actual "changes" might happen. The trailer looks a lot like NHL 14.5 to me. It's really early though, I think it's playable on the E3 floor today, so hopefully people will say it feels different.

Too bad they're gonna spend 4 of their 5 minute allotment navigating menus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
All I care about is EA making it so you can't play that stupid game where you skate just fast enough to move yet just slow enough to not be impacted by hits, while dangling all over the place as you move in elaborate circles.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

What does season pass do exactly? As far as I can tell it just unlocks things that should be free anyways considering the game costs $70 and an Xbox Live subscription costs about that too.

You must be confused. This is the thread for NHL15, the next gen version. There's no Xbox console this generation.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

xzzy posted:

Too bad they're gonna spend 4 of their 5 minute allotment navigating menus.

Hate that.

You should be able to tag modes as a favorite and just zoom to that section instead of navigating 7 nested menus or more.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

You must be confused. This is the thread for NHL15, the next gen version. There's no Xbox console this generation.

I'm not really a video game guy, is this some joke about the Xbox One being lovely?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

sba posted:

I think that's the thing...they're going to slap a coat of paint on it this year, and next year is when actual "changes" might happen. The trailer looks a lot like NHL 14.5 to me. It's really early though, I think it's playable on the E3 floor today, so hopefully people will say it feels different.

How can you say that with zero gameplay footage shown?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

We have a mole feeding us insider info. That's where my pessimism comes from. I believe them.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Jovial Cow posted:

How can you say that with zero gameplay footage shown?

I started playing these games with NHL 07. I am now 25 years old, and we are coming up on 9 years since that major revision. 9 years.

That is roughly a third of my life. Much longer than the time that I've been at my career, or the time I spent in college. It's significantly longer than any relationship I've had. I've lived in 3 or 4 different houses in that time, with many different roommates coming and going. What I'm getting at is that the constant disappointment from lovely games that EA pushes out each year is just about one of the most consistent things in my life. If there is anything to bet my last dollar on, it's that this game is nothing more than a polished turd with Dynamic Cloth Technology™

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Teeter posted:

I started playing these games with NHL 07. I am now 25 years old, and we are coming up on 9 years since that major revision. 9 years.

That is roughly a third of my life. Much longer than the time that I've been at my career, or the time I spent in college. It's significantly longer than any relationship I've had. I've lived in 3 or 4 different houses in that time, with many different roommates coming and going. What I'm getting at is that the constant disappointment from lovely games that EA pushes out each year is just about one of the most consistent things in my life. If there is anything to bet my last dollar on, it's that this game is nothing more than a polished turd with Dynamic Cloth Technology™

I wish this could be the thread title

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sba posted:

I wish this could be the thread title

My thread title was appropriate last year too. :colbert:

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
did you get a bigger tv yet

Texas A. Wreckus
Aug 20, 2006

Welcome to the OVal Office
DYNAMIC Doc Emerick sounds p cool tho guys

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Teeter posted:

I wish this was under 140 chars so we could tweet it at rammer.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Teeter posted:

Not to be an EA apologist here but you're telling me the difference between NHL 07 and NHL 14 has nothing that you would consider a major revision? I mean I get that a lot of what EA does seems like they're rehashing features, but I would say the game has evolved quite a bit since then. I mean after playing 13 and on when they changed the skating mechanics, going back to 07 would be like night and day.

I get that NHL is no where near the level the FIFA series is at, but it could be doing a lot worse.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
People are bitching that it consistently has the same stupid bugs for years on end. Glitch goals, retarded physics, stupid interface issues, etc. Add that to the fact that the dynamic cloth thing and the player likliness looks very half baked, it is pretty easy to see why people are upset

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

THE MACHO MAN posted:

People are bitching that it consistently has the same stupid bugs for years on end. Glitch goals, retarded physics, stupid interface issues, etc. Add that to the fact that the dynamic cloth thing and the player likliness looks very half baked, it is pretty easy to see why people are upset

I hear you with the glitches, you would think if they can program in a player trying to drag the blue line to stay onside they would be able to program the D-mans stick do do everything possible to keep it in the zone if you're turning around near the point. But just to play devils advocate here, this is what? The second press release? And we've seen basically zero actual gameplay? Do we really need to be up in arms over the new version when we essentially have two teaser trailers?

I mean are MSL and Richards faces really so much worse than Eli Manning in Madden which probably has over double the budget?

Also maybe the PS player base just isn't as elite at glitch goaling, but I've yet to find a someone who I can't take away a certain goal from.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 11, 2014

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

The series has gotten stale same way the pre-skill stick nhl's were for years. New console generation brought great improvements to the series but this time they don't seem to have new skill stick. Just jerseys flapping in the wind.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Soft Shell Crab posted:

The series has gotten stale same way the pre-skill stick nhl's were for years. New console generation brought great improvements to the series but this time they don't seem to have new skill stick. Just jerseys flapping in the wind.

I guess I'm just saying we've seen almost nothing about this game except for some screen shots and a teaser. Two of the things they mentioned at the start were new puck physics and enhanced skill stick right? They changed the ball physics in FIFA 13 and it was completely different, maybe it will have a similar effect in NHL, shouldn't we give them a chance to show that off before we lambaste them?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Sure. I really wish they come up with something great, but so far what we have seen is slightly improved gameplay engine based on the trailer and the usual empty feature marketing speak. It's fun to rag on EA when you're almost always right.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Just a reminder that this will be the 3rd year of "new physics, no canned animations"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Joe Thornton is an ugly dude. Maybe they were trying to do him a favor.

Logan Couture's face is just going to be blurred out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're gonna have to make a completely unique mesh just to represent Ryan Miller.

Unless they add a symmetry slider somewhere.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Playing this today at E3, fingers crossed that I can experience all the dynamic I'm promised.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
This thread is brutal.

If I wanted to see whiny malcontents spew vitriol despite the fact that no real content has been shown yet, I'd go to the gamefaq forums.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The vitriol is justified, the NHL games have been a roster update and some fresh paint for at least four years now.

This conversation will be fun to look back on in September when everyone's bitching how it's just as glitchy as ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because you all bought it anyway.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
It's not so much no new content to satisfy us and we're mad about it, or something, it's more what EA has admitted it's priorities are: accurately modelled arenas (who asked for those?), dynamic cloud based cloth dynamic dynamics (who asked for that?), puck physics (you mean it wasn't like that already? Something that should have been included from day 1), ultimate player likenesses (not many people probably asked for this, plus by the looks of screenshots so far it's a lie).

Basically EA is giving us poo poo we don't want, didn't ask for, and don't need; especially when there are bigger issues.

fake edit: oh and the whole 12 player physics, that's most likely such a rare occurrence (ie: it would never be needed) that it's a waste of resources.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's not so much no new content to satisfy us and we're mad about it, or something, it's more what EA has admitted it's priorities are: accurately modelled arenas (who asked for those?), dynamic cloud based cloth dynamic dynamics (who asked for that?), puck physics (you mean it wasn't like that already? Something that should have been included from day 1), ultimate player likenesses (not many people probably asked for this, plus by the looks of screenshots so far it's a lie).

Basically EA is giving us poo poo we don't want, didn't ask for, and don't need; especially when there are bigger issues.

fake edit: oh and the whole 12 player physics, that's most likely such a rare occurrence (ie: it would never be needed) that it's a waste of resources.

It's basically this. I don't need to see gameplay videos because the only way they could change my opinion is if they had a slew of features and changes that were previously unannounced. Unfortunately that won't be the case because all of us here know exactly how the EA hype train works, and any feature that hasn't been turned in to a stupid buzzword and hammered into our brains by now probably isn't happening.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Judas Priest posted:

This thread is brutal.

If I wanted to see whiny malcontents spew vitriol despite the fact that no real content has been shown yet, I'd go to the gamefaq forums.

Counterpoint: if any company deserves vitriol for making GBS threads out the same game every year without any actual changes and charges full price for a roster update, its EA. :colbert:

Well, maybe Activision too.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.joystiq.com/2014/06/11/nhl-15-missing-94-anniversary-mode-on-xbox-one-ps4/

:lol:

The only thing I enjoyed about last year's poo poo show.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

KiddieGrinder posted:

What major revolution are you looking for here? If you go to their website and look at features the stadiums are the 5th bullet point. Its also a new system and let's be honest, a graphics upgrade is probably what 95% of the general population is looking for. I also don't get the theory behind "you mean it wasn't like that already?" You're complaining they're spending their time focusing on graphics and not fixing things but then when they're fixing something you're complaining it was broken in the first place. It's damned if you do damned if you don't for ea in this thread.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 11, 2014

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Don't need a god damned graphics update because 99% of the loving universe is playing this loving game from a game camera equivalent to upper deck seating.

A bunch of poo poo that was broken in the first place was never really fixed. You got motherfuckers who can top corner snipe a goalie from a foot or two off the blue line every 4 tries. This poo poo has been happening for years now.

It isn't damned if they do, damned if they don't, because they never did in the first place.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Whadda we want? Wholesale gameplay changes to make the NHL series more reflective of real hockey while removing countless garbage goals that have existed for 6 or 7 years without being addressed.

What are we getting? Wiggle jerseys.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 11, 2014

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I guess I'm in for a rude awakening when the xbox folks migrate over to the PS side but these glitch goals are few an far between for me. They closest person on the ps side who would score a lot with the same shot was rutkowski but you just learn to take it away. I almost think it is intentionally in there to punish you for leaving the top of the slot open (I assume this is what you are talking about).

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
On Xbox we end up facing a glitch goal team at least every other match whenever we get together. At this point finding a team that doesn't glitch goal is becoming a rarity. And the punishment thing might make sense if it weren't for the fact that pucks that we poke check immediately fly towards the next closest forward, and any attempt to block shots in the slot tends to result in the puck deflecting off your stick into the net.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

If you buy the game every other year the 60d is ok as you get really improved game, but we are all addicts here so we don't have that choice.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Long Post, feel free to hold a civilized argument with me.

In regards to Glitch Goaling (from my PS3 experience): It's commonplace if you let it happen with a cpu goalie. The turn and rifle, top shelf glove side has been in the past several versions of the game. At one point, the puck even curved to find it's way into the corner of the net if it was going wide, this is now patched out thankfully. That being said, I have not experienced more than 2-3 glitch goals over the past half year or so because when I play club, we always have one of following deterrents listed below. Drop-In...you are on your own there. Then again, if you are buying this game to play only drop-in, you are making a poor life choice.

Glitching is negated should you have someone psychotic enough to play as a human goalie (you know who you are). If you do not have that luxury of a good goalie, you can still prevent glitch goals 99% of the time by playing proper defense. Bumping the carrier off the puck, stick lifting when parallel, poke checking, making them do a horrible deke, making them dump, etc.

And no, I certainly do not play as a floaty Pokecheck-Euro, nor do I play defense as my #1 position. I play as a "Playmaker" (who can truck and snipe thanks to wonky attributes) Center.

Do I think NHL14 is a fantastic game? It depends. I have an absolute blast when I play with my club, however, the game is not perfect by a long shot. Is it $60 good (from my perspective)? With a club playing EASHL - Hell yes. Playing any other mode - Hell No.

Don't pay full price for this game. I can't speak to Next-gen pricing tactics, but for the last several years I've never paid full price for an NHL game on release day. Keep an eye out for special pre-order price drops, amazon credits, Bonus codes people will pay you for, etc. ($10 for my Bauer code, ok eBay idiot!) I also always trade in my old copy of NHL 2-3 weeks prior to the new one for $10+ from amazon. Last year I got $17 for NHL13 two weeks before 14 was out. Don't spend money on boosts, invest 1-2 days cheesing be a pro for all of the unlocks. Set the difficulty to Rookie, adjust all sliders in your favor, etc. (Goalies are out of luck here).

As someone who invests 95% of my NHL time in EASHL, I really can't tell you how broken other game modes are because I honestly don't know. All I know is that EASHL could use a face lift for skater creation, attribute transparency, team creation/jersey editors. New commentary is nice. Non-generic arenas are nice.

Floaty Jerseys? Don't give a gently caress. You've got me in full agreement there.
Also, give me back my intentional slash button while play is live. Slashing after the whistle is great and all, but I miss my Marty McSorley's. I did manage to get a triple major from a single slash though, so that's something.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I really want slash back too, I'd rather hack up someone's hands then slide on my stomach on a breakaway back check.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Rev posted:

you can still prevent glitch goals 99% of the time by playing proper defense. Bumping the carrier off the puck, stick lifting when parallel, poke checking, making them do a horrible deke, making them dump, etc.

oh for sure man

i can tell you the thought never occurred to pinch on a zone entry in my six years of playing this game

not once

ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Doctor Butts posted:

oh for sure man

i can tell you the thought never occurred to pinch on a zone entry in my six years of playing this game

not once

ever

So you pinched and got burned and it's EA's fault dammit :argh:?

• Locked thread