Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Echo Chamber posted:

Mario has Yoshi's insignia?

That's a mushroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

THE loving MOON posted:

Who on earth could they possibly do besides Ridley? I mean, I know he's TOO BIG, but I can't think of anyone else who even comes close to being as recognizable after him and Samus.

Maybe Dark Samus?

Just kidding it'll be Adam.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Looks like the select screen will use a similar layout system to Brawl, gradually adding and shifting people until they fall into place in organized groups. I wonder if that's the starting roster or just the demo roster.

Bicyclops posted:

So I guess FP is going to stand for the Amiibo players. I hope that casual scene isn't littered with the leveled-up figurine matches, I want to play online sometimes!

Since you can't use custom moves online with strangers, that probably rules out Amiibos in those matches too.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Mario has Yoshi's insignia?

That's a mushroom

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

Metroid. Come on.

Don't get my hopes up. That would be way too cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Seshoho Cian posted:

The Japanese Direct had Chief Arino instead of Ice-T.

Did they still have Elijah Wood?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Wait so Metriod isn't the guy in the suit?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Every time they tease Lucina, it annoys me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Wait so Metriod isn't the guy in the suit?

That's Zelda.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Spacebump posted:

Did they still have Elijah Wood?

And Lincoln. The only difference between the English and Japanese streams was Ice-T and Arino-Kacho.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Tae posted:

Every time they tease Lucina, it annoys me.
Huh? When did they tease Lucina?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's this Amibo thing I heard about? I was only half paying attention to the stream.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Chaltab posted:

When they took her lunchbox and held it up too high for her to reach. Bullies can be so cruel.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Chaltab posted:

When they were talking about potential NFC figures. Lucina was one of the little bubbles shown.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Chaltab posted:

Lucina was in the shuffle of character icons in the background of the Amiibo shot.
edit: F;b

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

What's this Amibo thing I heard about? I was only half paying attention to the stream.

It's basically Skylanders except with Nintendo figures, which will have compatibility with Smash and MK8.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RBA Starblade posted:

Basically they're figurines with some sort of chip in them that you can save a custom CPU to. It levels up and gets a style and new abilities, and you can have pokemon battles with your CPU against other people's CPU. At least, that's what they do in Smash (so far????), apparently they're going to do a bunch of things in other games.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

TaurusOxford posted:

It's basically Skylanders except with Nintendo figures, which will have compatibility with Smash and MK8.

Reggie also mentioned them being compatible in some way with the Captain Toad game, Yoshi's Wooly World, one other game I can't remember, and more in his interview with IGN dudes afterward.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

So, in addition to the tournament, there will be an exhibition match between games press people. It's probably during the regular tournament but we don't know for sure.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'll admit, it looks like they did a good job of releasing them without alienating too many people with the "Now we have to buy TOYS to play this poo poo?" fiasco that could have happened. It looks like they'll add to games but largely not function as plastic DLC material for important stuff like characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just realized something. With Miis, Goku can finally be in Smash.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waffleman_ posted:

I've yet to see a good Goku mii, probably because his hair is his most iconic feature and there's no good options.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Waffleman_ posted:

But do you use Mii Brawler for martial arts or Mii Gunner for Ki blast spamming?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Still the best part of that whole sequence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I've yet to see a good Goku mii, probably because his hair is his most iconic feature and there's no good options.

I bet Vegeta would be easier.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

SkySteak posted:

Still the best part of that whole sequence.

The new generic challenge team, Fightin' Lincoln Squad.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I bet Vegeta would be easier.

Showing once again Nintendo's saiyan pure-blood bias.

Looking forward to seeing how the game plays outside of dev, should be neat.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Nintendo just basically went "Oh heh, you guys talked about how cool your systems are and how much you innovated games. How quaint. BAM, TRAILER. BAM, TRAILER. BAM, NEW STUFF. BAM. BAM. BAM. We out."

To be fair that's exactly what Sony did to EA.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The best part about all this is how Mii is going to be top tier and Smash Commentators are going to have to comment on the $1000 Money match between Barack Obama and a blinking Penis face.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I think a real dealmaker would be the ability to do that intro with custom text, using your own Mii Fighters, and upload the trailers to YouTube.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The best part about all this is how Mii is going to be top tier and Smash Commentators are going to have to comment on the $1000 Money match between Barack Obama and a blinking Penis face.

Customizable fighters aren't allowed in any other fighting game tournaments in recent memory, like Soulcalibur, so I sincerely doubt they'll be allowed in Smash either.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Excels posted:

I think a real dealmaker would be the ability to do that intro with custom text, using your own Mii Fighters, and upload the trailers to YouTube.

Hitler
Brings his Final Solution!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

TerminusEst13 posted:

Customizable fighters aren't allowed in any other fighting game tournaments in recent memory, like Soulcalibur, so I sincerely doubt they'll be allowed in Smash either.

Yeah, if they were to be allowed in, I'd imagine either you'd have to use generic miis, or you'd have to have them approved by the tournament organizers.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

now just make this happen nintendo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Lucina was in the shuffle of character icons in the background of the Amiibo shot.
edit: F;b

It's possible someone working on that trailer hosed up and thought it was Marth?

I want to believe, though. :negative:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think that Amiibo bit showing lots of different characters was just meant to indicate that many different games will use it, since most of the characters weren't using their SSB art.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I'll admit, it looks like they did a good job of releasing them without alienating too many people with the "Now we have to buy TOYS to play this poo poo?" fiasco that could have happened. It looks like they'll add to games but largely not function as plastic DLC material for important stuff like characters.

I'll be really mad if I can only access the customizable moves by leveling up the Amiibo figure, especially since the figures just hold one character. But it doesn't seem like that's the case, but I honestly can't tell yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think that Amiibo bit showing lots of different characters was just meant to indicate that many different games will use it, since most of the characters weren't using their SSB art.

Outside of Tom Nook though, wasn't every other character they showed involved in Smash? You could make an argument for Toad and the Pikmin, but showing a Fire Emblem character strongly suggests they have plans for some amiibo stuff involving that franchise.

So unless we're hearing more about SMT x FE, it really feels like a Smash thing to me.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Seshoho Cian posted:

Couple of neat screens from the press kit.

Wow, there is not alot of room on that roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

DrPaper posted:

Wow, there is not alot of room on that roster.

It's missing quite a number of people, because Sakurai hasn't finished balancing them yet.

• Locked thread