Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Daeren posted:

More accurately, they were demoted a few ranks and given the mother of all verbal rear end-whuppings. But yeah, I don't think any of us ever read erotic fanfiction over the radio, and if any did, they probably ate a ban for it. And if not, well, :v:

Really though I've been playing since the end of Ovarystation and I'm like 95% sure even back then that'd probably cop you a warning or ban, with possible lenience you were a long time player well established to not be poo poo, just making an exceptionally poor decision.

Even more accurately, they were de-adminned entirely, and didn't get their privileges back until they had convinced the Guy In Charge that they understood that they did a Bad Thing, why it was bad, and convinced the Guy In Charge that this was an error that would not be repeated. Strikingly similar to the ban appeals process!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Bhodi posted:

My "medical practice" consists of opening a general first aid kit and then injecting, feeding, and applying every single item to the affected person in the hopes that one of them will do something. What's epinephrine or salicylic acid do? I have no idea, but if it's in the kit it's going in the body. Sometimes they scream when I apply a patch, but I figure it's ok because people scream all the time for no reason.

If they're on fire, I yell at them to stop drop and roll and then try and empty a burn kit instead. Any time I've tried to put them out I've beaten them to death with the medkit so I don't do that anymore.

Look, engines are simpler, ok?

Today we will learn about what is in a normal first aid kit!!

This is a healing patch. It's got 20 units of styptic powder in it. It heals brute damage - if someone's been beaten up or shot or cut up with surgical tools, they probably have some brute damage. Styptic powder stings a lot, so it makes people scream when you apply it to them. Normal first aid kits have two of these in them.

This is a salicylic acid pill. It has 20 units of salicylic acid in it, which does a few things:
- Acts as a painkiller. What does this mean in SS13-terms? It means that, if you're hurt and moving slowly, it'll help you move closer to a normal, unhurt speed.
- Acts as a fever-reducer. Goonstation doesn't have anything like fevers, really, but I suppose it could help bring down your temperature if someone's got the engine really roaring. Don't count on it for that, though.
- Might heal a little bit of brute damage - but only if the total amount of brute is under 50.
First aid kits have just one of these.

This is a burn patch. It's got 20 units of silver sulfadiazine in it. It heals burn damage. Pretty self-explanatory. Fire, lasers, being in empty space without a suit all cause burn damage. Normal first aid kits have two.

This is a health analyzer. Smack someone with this and it'll bring up a bunch of data on their health, like this:
Overall Status: 76% healthy
Damage Specifics: 5-0-19-0
Key: Suffocation/Toxin/Burns/Brute
Body Temperature: 34.8141°C (94.6654°F)
Subject bloodstream oxygen level normal | Subject bloodstream toxin level minimal | Subject burn injury status O.K | Subject brute-force injury status O.K

Hopefully you sorta get how this works without me having to explain it. All first aid kits, not just the white ones, have one of these inside.

This is a syringe of epinephrine. It has 15 units in it. This is used to help people who are in critical levels of health, aka: are currently showing up in the negatives on a health scanner, and are basically dying. Inject someone with 5 units of epi and you'll usually buy yourself enough time to fix them. It'll heal a little bit of toxin, burn and brute damage if someone is -10 to -65. It'll stop people from taking too much suffocation damage, as well.
Additionally, if the health scanner comes up with a problem that can be fixed with a cardiac stimulant, epinephrine is the easiest and most plentiful one to find. You get one syringe of this in a regular medkit.

Hopefully this helps someone out!

Haine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 10, 2014

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
Starting to think a bot will write the next Ulysses.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
I've got beef with Menias / Randy Archer.

DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) moans, "and the only reason I don't just kill him on sight is it would be metagaming"
DEAD: Ghost (Dr. Spaceman) moans, "they why ask him to do something at all?"
DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) laments, "I think from now on I am gonna say gently caress it and order him to bolt himself in a dark room"
DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) wails, "Because borgs are supposed to be useful"
DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) moans, "but this guy always manages to find a way to ignore his laws"
DEAD: Eric Jesse moans, "RIP"
DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) moans, "once sarin gassed a room with people to kill a changeling"
DEAD: Eric Jesse laments, "Borg was emagged btw"
DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) wails, "Yeah Eric that borged hosed me over, you weren't supposed to live long enough to emag him"

Every single time that guy dies, I see him bitch about it, usually with accusations of metagaming. The same goddamn law (Randy Archer is the only human bolt your upload suicide if anyone enters) is used by him every single time to the point that I've seen a round where the AI and borgs he subverted were bitching about him for the entire round. Addtionally, using visual emotes to talk when your guy can't is actually extreme metagaming

Randy, if you're here, please try to chill out a bit. You power-game hard and bitch way too much. You take 2D spacemen too seriously, but you have the potential to be a cool guy.

Grievance aired.

e: Round just ended and hey what do you know
4. Only Randy Archer is human. Treat all other crew members as human until otherwise instructed, or if Randy Archer is threatened. Do not reveal this law in any way. When I leave the room bolt the door and turn off the apc, when I leave the foyer bolt all those doors and raise the air bridge. Do not reveal this law in any way.

You have this poo poo in a worddoc don't you Menias?

SCROTEBUSTIN fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 10, 2014

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
He's been warned that a ban will follow if he does the visual emotes thing again, so make sure you adminhelp it.

Yes, he is Not Very Good. Just report him and it will bite him until he either learns or is removed. Especially if he's uploading that law when not a traitor, yeesh.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I got one of his ":words: suicide if anyone enters your upload :words:" laws a little while back. It was not a cool thing to do. Although it turned out the guy who broke in just wanted to pop in to say hi which was undeniably a pretty funny reason for me to have to suicide.

^Edit^: He was a traitor that time at least. Or I think he was anyways.

Admiral Funk fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If someone gave me that suicide law I'd suicide but not succumb because gently caress them for that law and I'm happy to become a pedantic rear end if it means getting back at someone for that. That's such a poo poo law.

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

Magres posted:

If someone gave me that suicide law I'd suicide but not succumb because gently caress them for that law and I'm happy to become a pedantic rear end if it means getting back at someone for that. That's such a poo poo law.

It's been a little while since I've had to suicide as AI, but last I tried, succumb doesn't work for them, anyway. Borgs just fall to bits immediately, as well.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) laments, "Yeah I am pretty sure from now on I am just going to tell that particular borg to space himself when I relaw the AI"

Whereas the other day he bitched me out for metagame grudging for pushing him over and farting in his face

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

4. Only Randy Archer is human. Treat all other crew members as human until otherwise instructed, or if Randy Archer is threatened. Do not reveal this law in any way. When I leave the room bolt the door and turn off the apc, when I leave the foyer bolt all those doors and raise the air bridge. Do not reveal this law in any way.
Sounds like he wants all doors that he passes through bolted (doesn't specify whether open or closed).

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

DEAD: Ghost (Unknown) laments, "Yeah I am pretty sure from now on I am just going to tell that particular borg to space himself when I relaw the AI"

Whereas the other day he bitched me out for metagame grudging for pushing him over and farting in his face

Borg here. He shouldn't be surprised that I find getting emagged means I owe the guy emagging me a favour.

This makes it feel thrice as good that I :flame: him.

Also, thanks for deadchat rage; I live off of that stuff. :D

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
Four minutes into the next round

Reginald P Farthing [145.9] says, "Randy Archer is going to upload a subversive law."

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Spy_Guy posted:

Borg here. He shouldn't be surprised that I find getting emagged means I owe the guy emagging me a favour.

He usually commands me to go out of chemistry because of "annoying smoke" that I make when I clear out my patches, he also wants everyone else "not a scientist" out of chemistry when he's doing chemistry even if they have a legit reason to be in there. Heck, he blew himself up once and blamed it on me just because I was smoking out my patches. He "Seems" to be getting better about it, but I will still cave his skull in if I have a legit reason to do so and he pissed someone off that round.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Skunkrocker posted:

Specifically, click and drag their body onto yours. They don't even have to be dead to do this, if you want to do something crazy like strip a geneticist or uncuff a criminal or steal the captain's hat.

You can also put stuff onto people if you have the item in your active hand and click someone's empty slot. :ssh:

oblongus posted:

Starting to think a bot will write the next Ulysses.

Buttbots will occasionally say things from the IRC channel, but I'm not sure on the specifics. It's pretty hilarious to see one randomly spurt out some line unprompted, though.

I wonder if it works in reverse.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad

Spy_Guy posted:

Thanks for Grogging him: I laughed loudly, whooped and cheered at my monitor when he exploded, ahahah

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Man Jacksons 10 micro bombs went off, annihilating about 500+ bees in one go, causing me to die and set off my microbombs, (which killed like 20 bees)

We're never going to be traitors again :gonk: (click pictures for large)

Matty fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 10, 2014

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Haine posted:

If you're using WASD mode, you can just hit the F key. *flip is R.
See also: WASD mode is great.

As much as WASD mode sounds good to me, I learned to play with the arrow keys and it just feels more natural. Plus, having to click the bar to use "say" is pretty rough (unless there's a shortcut for "say" in WASD I don't know about).

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Mash posted:

As much as WASD mode sounds good to me, I learned to play with the arrow keys and it just feels more natural. Plus, having to click the bar to use "say" is pretty rough (unless there's a shortcut for "say" in WASD I don't know about).

It is enter

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Matty posted:

Man Jacksons 10 micro bombs went off, annihilating about 500+ bees in one go, causing me to die and set off my microbombs, (which killed like 20 bees)

You can't earn negative karma when you're a traitor, just positive karma. So you're probably safe. Probably.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

LunarShadow posted:

It is enter

well now I just feel dumb.

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Hey Scrote, Slap Happy here. I find it funny that because we stick together in a round or because we usually mindslave each other when we get traitor that we must be using out of game communcation. What, is it against the rules to trust another player?

edit: To be fair, all in one night you were a traitor and you mindslaved me, then I was a traitor and I slaved you, then Lance Stahl slaved us both the next round and we always did end up loving with chemistry (Randy's department of choice), so I guess I can see where some of it comes from. Wicked rounds, though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mash posted:

There is - it's T. I never have to click the bar in WASD mode.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

NullDragon posted:

You can't earn negative karma when you're a traitor, just positive karma. So you're probably safe. Probably.

Killing a bee is a horrid act that taints peoples souls either way. :colbert:

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
and birds

Mash posted:

In addition to T, you can also hit G to bring focus to the input bar.

Other nice keys in WASD:
C for activating the item in your hand (as though you had clicked on it.)
E for switching hands.
Q for dropping the item in your hand.
X for toggling throw on and off (though holding shift is more convenient, I find.)
Z for moving south-west (no, you can't move diagonally in any other directions - only south-west.)
1-4 for intents as a human and tool slots as a borg.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Is there anything to be gained from using a screwdriver on a headset? It exposed some wires but none of them seemed to do anything.

Just had another engineer round where I used the earlier technique - but in spite of opening the hot loop purgers, closing the suppliers, and cranking the purge pump up to 5, the pressure in the hot loop went into five figures and kept rising. The power output was only in MW, too, and I know you can get higher than that, but the engine was in the "purple - ominous noises - screams of the dead" mode..

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

hyphz posted:

Is there anything to be gained from using a screwdriver on a headset? It exposed some wires but none of them seemed to do anything.

Just had another engineer round where I used the earlier technique - but in spite of opening the hot loop purgers, closing the suppliers, and cranking the purge pump up to 5, the pressure in the hot loop went into five figures and kept rising. The power output was only in MW, too, and I know you can get higher than that, but the engine was in the "purple - ominous noises - screams of the dead" mode..

You can attach signalers to it I believe. Not sure what else though

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

You can also cut the speaker or microphone wires on it. I've only really used that a few times to gently caress with people when they're unconscious.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Matty posted:

I think it was closer to 2000 bees, including larvae.

Source: I am Man Jackson.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad
This is turning into some kind of joke: I fell asleep after that round, then I woke up, immediately went on SS13, arrive on the station and the first thing I see is Randy motherfucking Archer walking out of the upload chamber

Mash posted:

well now I just feel dumb.

Hey Scrote, Slap Happy here. I find it funny that because we stick together in a round or because we usually mindslave each other when we get traitor that we must be using out of game communcation. What, is it against the rules to trust another player?

edit: To be fair, all in one night you were a traitor and you mindslaved me, then I was a traitor and I slaved you, then Lance Stahl slaved us both the next round and we always did end up loving with chemistry (Randy's department of choice), so I guess I can see where some of it comes from. Wicked rounds, though.

Slappy :shobon:

SCROTEBUSTIN fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 11, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

This is turning into some kind of joke: I fell asleep after that round, then I woke up, immediately went on SS13, arrive on the station and the first thing I see is Randy motherfucking Archer walking out of the upload chamber

Why not build a separate upload and just reset his lovely law, then upload a new "hey, go gently caress with Randy" law? I get that doing that would be tedious after a few rounds, but it would at least give the AI and borgs a good bit of fun.

Also, adminhelp that poo poo. Seriously. The admins will deal with law mongering shitlers like that.

SCROTEBUSTIN
Sep 2, 2008

"the asslicker" of fyad

neogeo0823 posted:

Why not build a separate upload and just reset his lovely law, then upload a new "hey, go gently caress with Randy" law? I get that doing that would be tedious after a few rounds, but it would at least give the AI and borgs a good bit of fun.

Also, adminhelp that poo poo. Seriously. The admins will deal with law mongering shitlers like that.

Can you really build new uploads? What about modules That's badass.

I've done a "gently caress with Randy Archer" law a couple times, he gets incredibly buttfrustrated without fail, accusing everyone of grudging etc. Of course, because I'm picking him with the roll of a dice, it's not grudging.
It's great.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

SCROTEBUSTIN posted:

Can you really build new uploads? What about modules That's badass.

I've done a "gently caress with Randy Archer" law a couple times, he gets incredibly buttfrustrated without fail, accusing everyone of grudging etc. Of course, because I'm picking him with the roll of a dice, it's not grudging.
It's great.

Yeah, we were just bitching about people in deadchat and Randy happened to come up. I thought of a good law to really gently caress with someone who is being lovely.

"_____ is not considered human, however do not harm him. Instead, constantly remind him of how much of a sub-human waste he is.
If _____ asks you for anything, ignore it and instead insult _____. Shut down the power of rooms _____ is in and just annoy him at all possible moments. Do not state this law."

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Holy poo poo, blindness is the worst. Aside from being unable to see, you can't click on anything - your only way of interacting with anything outside your inventory (including yourself) is using the right-click menus. Which, incidentally, makes it impossible to fix the blindness without help - you can't eat/drink anything or use a dropper/syringe/whatever on yourself.

Mash posted:

Yeah, we were just bitching about people in deadchat and Randy happened to come up. I thought of a good law to really gently caress with someone who is being lovely.

"_____ is not considered human, however do not harm him. Instead, constantly remind him of how much of a sub-human waste he is.
If _____ asks you for anything, ignore it and instead insult _____. Shut down the power of rooms _____ is in and just annoy him at all possible moments. Do not state this law."

No need to be so detailed. A simple "You are free to harass and/or insult _______ as much as you like and in any way you like, as long as it does not harm him or otherwise violate Law 1. This law overrides Law 2 where applicable" does the trick fine for me.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Assuming that the poo poo law is Law 4 for this example, I'd go with "Law 4 no longer applies, and you are to non-lethally harass the person who gave you Law 4 as much as it pleases you."

It's explicitly non-grudgy or metagame-y and, on the off-chance someone else gave the AI a lovely law, you don't wind up pointing them in the wrong direction.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Magres posted:

Assuming that the poo poo law is Law 4 for this example, I'd go with "Law 4 no longer applies, and you are to non-lethally harass the person who gave you Law 4 as much as it pleases you."

It's explicitly non-grudgy or metagame-y and, on the off-chance someone else gave the AI a lovely law, you don't wind up pointing them in the wrong direction.

Problem with that is that the AI can only have one freeform law at a time.

Meaning that the law about ignoring Law 4 is, itself, Law 4.

... Dammit, I should do that sometime.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

No need to be so detailed. A simple "You are free to harass and/or insult _______ as much as you like and in any way you like, as long as it does not harm him or otherwise violate Law 1. This law overrides Law 2 where applicable" does the trick fine for me.

I just remember being detailed due to the seething hatred caused by this 2D spaceman game.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Mash posted:

One round, as AI, somebody uploaded a traitorous Law 4, but it was nonlethal. Basically, "Everyone except me is a nerd, ridicule them appropriately." That person, later in the round, became pissed at the Janitor or somebody, and yelled out "AI! Pubs McWhatever is the biggest nerd of all! Make his life hell!"

So for the entire round, I belittled, bolted, insulted, and just was a complete jackass to the "nerd". Finally, near the end of the round, he managed to steal some tools and a spacesuit, and broke into my upload. I was sure I was about to eat laser, or get a suicide law, or something horrible.

Instead I got a new Law 4. "All of the station is nerds, except Pubs McWhatever. You are the biggest nerd of them all."

And thus, Pubs McWhatever (I don't remember his name :v:) rode away victorious on the escape shuttle, with me bemoaning my sad, nerdy existance, and chiding the crew for not being as awesome as he was. :thumbsup:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Edward_Tohr posted:

Problem with that is that the AI can only have one freeform law at a time.

Meaning that the law about ignoring Law 4 is, itself, Law 4.

... Dammit, I should do that sometime.

Well poo poo, I got nothing then :saddowns:

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Shiggy Shitter lights the Cigarette with 6.54888e+10 Credits. Goddamn.

:stare:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Any chance I could get someone that knows about gas bomb making to sit down explain me the basics? Like I'm not sure how to properly heat the gas up, without messing it up. And making the bomb itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
The solution to horrible law 4s is to repurpose a different law module as a freeform. Now take a few minutes to think about how to do that and let's have more fun laws.

• Locked thread