Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

There are no female characters with any significant agency in the game.

There's the PR woman for Blume but she is featured in less than 5 minutes of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Prefect Six posted:

I haven't been able to play the game for 4-5 days due to the 90% load bug. It's still listed on their known issues. I don't suppose there's something I've missed about a work around?

Strongly considering trying to get a refund, but I bought it through steam so I imagine the chances are fairly low.

I had gotten that the day after launch day and was pissed caused I actually finished the storyline during my day off. I just bit the bullet and started from scratch and already back to +90% completion with the game. If you're not that far along I suggest backing up your save and start fresh, no idea what is causing the 90% bug but I haven't gotten it since.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you escape the police after the prison mission. I managed to do pretty well in the prison itself and shotgunned all the guys in the final room without too much trouble. But leaving it is terrible; if you manage to get to a car (which isn't too hard), you're instantly swarmed by like 5+ police cars. If I get lucky enough to time a street light hacking well enough to kill 1 or 2 of them, more just come out of nowhere. This one time I managed to get into the L and was like "hell yes, surely this will work", but nope - loving police helicopter just followed me across a bridge and there are a million more police waiting at the other side. I left the train after realizing it was futile and went out in a blaze of glory, breaking the knees of like 8 guys and then gunning down 4 or 5 more.

I get that theoretically I'm supposed to expertly time a bunch of hackings so that it wrecks the police cars and then deftly turn into an alley and hide in my car, but this is a million times easier said than done (and I haven't unlocked the other street hacking abilities, so I only really have the traffic lights).

Someone please tell me a trick for this, because it is seriously the worst thing. gently caress the police in this game. :mad:

By the time I got to that mission I had all the traffic hacks plus the anti-material rifle. You evade the police by shooting the chopper and then driving away using traffic and blackouts, steam pipes, spikes, blockers, and bridges to leave the cops behind. They purposefully designed it so that you have to hack your way out of trouble, and once you figure out how to drive people through ready made booby traps it gets pretty easy really fast.

You cannot hack choppers while driving without stopping. Shooting them a few times with the anti material rifle I think knocks them out of the sky completely for a while. You can outrun them if you have a fast car and a long road. Or you can outrun the cops and duck into a closeable basement/parking lot and hide there from the chopper. Cops might search outside but if they can't get in they'll give up.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Or just shoot the helicopter and jump in the water, like every police chase.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The hardest part about Helicopters when you are in a car chase is that you have to practically escape them already, before you are allowed to angle your camera enough to hack disable them. Also it seems that if you disable hack a heli enough times in a row they just go "gently caress this" and leave if you don't happen to have a practical weapon for shooting at them. Surprisingly durable compared to most games like this though, I can hack them, shoot them with several Destroyer rounds, and they only ever limp off saying they've taken too much fire as opposed to exploding or crashing.

Also, when the game goes all Yellow Circles Ctos is looking for you, why doesn't blackout stop it? I know signal jammer works for the jammer duration, but Ctos is the camera system. When there is no power to the cameras, or anything at all on the Ctos network, how are they still locking on to me? It can be faster to just let them ID me, THEN hit blackout once the police chase is on to encourage the escape border at the stretch of road or enclosed parking garage of my choice.

I love those little parking garages with hackable doors. I've "escaped" the enemy in a good chunk of side missions by driving into one, closing the garage door behind me, and the 5 care pileup right outside just giving up in embarrassment.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 10, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I get that theoretically I'm supposed to expertly time a bunch of hackings so that it wrecks the police cars and then deftly turn into an alley and hide in my car, but this is a million times easier said than done (and I haven't unlocked the other street hacking abilities, so I only really have the traffic lights).

You hosed up son. Unlock them abilities.

For now, get to a train, force it to ride until the police bugger off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, i'd use the train, stop it where the police won't send guys to you (so not at a station, in between them in the city) and hop out of the train. Shoot the poo poo out of/hack the chopper, get back in the train and force it to ride.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Anyone having trouble with the chopppers, all you have to do is find the L and drive underneath the tracks, it makes it easy as gently caress to evade them.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The choppers in this game are still 99% less bullshit that GTA5's infinite respawning-conveniently-in-front-of-you-even-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, instant player-spotting bullshit police choppers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

dogstile posted:

Yeah, i'd use the train, stop it where the police won't send guys to you (so not at a station, in between them in the city) and hop out of the train. Shoot the poo poo out of/hack the chopper, get back in the train and force it to ride.

You don't need to stop the train or hop out. They don't see you inside the train, so just ride it until they think they've lost you.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Croccers posted:

The choppers in this game are still 99% less bullshit that GTA5's infinite respawning-conveniently-in-front-of-you-even-in-the-middle-of-nowhere, instant player-spotting bullshit police choppers.

I still had a police car spawn pretty much on the hood of my car so... Iunno.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Croccers posted:

Yeah, but they're a little too far in the other direction to where they're only a minor annoyance if you're running around on foot.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Grenade launchers kill helicopters in one shot, two at most. Just sayin'.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I could use some advice for some missions. Like the convoy ones.

The first one I attempted was the one where they were organ trafficking. I was supposed to stop a convoy of about, oh, 6 or 7 cars total and 'knock down' two individuals.

The first problem was they seemed relatively unfazed by my attempts to stop them via traffic lights. They never took enough damage in a wreck to stop, they'd just barrel on through. Then I tried to use blockers to stop them and this worked EXCEPT... then they all piled out of their cars and trying to take on 20+ guys at once was a losing proposition for me since I had to be careful NOT to kill the targets.

I eventually gave up because I couldn't figure out the trick to that one.

Next came the mission where you stop some guy from reaching the prison. Once again, the traffic lights did nothing to his car or his buddy's cars, and the route had no blockers nor bridges I could hack, so I had to hit his car with mine then cause a crash (Because the crashes ONLY WORKED if the guy was fleeing from me when I used the traffic lights) then take care of 12 or so guys. The only way I made it through was I didn't have to keep him alive so I ran all the fuckers over.

I feel like I should be doing something different though, like there's some ability or hack or SOMETHING that I overlooked that would have made the fights more doable. What am I missing?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

khy posted:

I could use some advice for some missions. Like the convoy ones.

The first one I attempted was the one where they were organ trafficking. I was supposed to stop a convoy of about, oh, 6 or 7 cars total and 'knock down' two individuals.

The first problem was they seemed relatively unfazed by my attempts to stop them via traffic lights. They never took enough damage in a wreck to stop, they'd just barrel on through. Then I tried to use blockers to stop them and this worked EXCEPT... then they all piled out of their cars and trying to take on 20+ guys at once was a losing proposition for me since I had to be careful NOT to kill the targets.

I eventually gave up because I couldn't figure out the trick to that one.

Next came the mission where you stop some guy from reaching the prison. Once again, the traffic lights did nothing to his car or his buddy's cars, and the route had no blockers nor bridges I could hack, so I had to hit his car with mine then cause a crash (Because the crashes ONLY WORKED if the guy was fleeing from me when I used the traffic lights) then take care of 12 or so guys. The only way I made it through was I didn't have to keep him alive so I ran all the fuckers over.

I feel like I should be doing something different though, like there's some ability or hack or SOMETHING that I overlooked that would have made the fights more doable. What am I missing?

Them. With your grenades.

Buy the good grenade launcher. Drive to an interception point, cover behind your car. If you have to keep someone alive, blow up all the other cars but theirs.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 10, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Or shoot all the drivers. I usually hit slow motion and snipe the drivers. Most routes the AI will take will not have blockers on it unless you force them to flee into one.

Alternatively, IED's solve everything.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

People who are mad at/can't follow the the story should really read the spoiler text. Undead Muppet is spot on, and that spoilered text should be moved to the first post for people who want to know what thes story's about, well done.

I just finished all the ctOS breach missions last night, and I must say Damien's final audio logs certainly encourage this interpretation. In the last one, he pretty much flat-out calls Aiden a revenge-obsessed street punk consumed with his own self-righteous anger, who becomes the Vigilante purely as a way of sating his own thirst for destruction. He goes on to say that despite all his efforts to uplift Aiden, teach him, and clean him up, he never really stopped being anything more than a thug. Sounds about right.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you escape the police after the prison mission.
When you're on the parking garage, hop in the first car you see and there is a jump from the garage on to the L tracks. Jump on them with the car and haul rear end.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
IEDs are lovely, it gets better if you have so much as one explosives capacity upgrade (which also increases the amount of Distractions you can carry). IEDs are also a good idea on the ones you have to knock out the target because you can blow up the lead car/cars and take out a chunk of the enemy, or if you space them out just right, blow up every car BUT the target.

Granted I had to make a lot of return trips to pawn shops, but I'll be damned if I won't scatter six IEDs down in a long chain every time it is a kill target convoy.

Do not try to be clever with blockers if you notice the path has them, if it does not work out the first time. One of the missions lead into an intersection alley with blockers on almost every side, explodey vents, plenty of cover, a parked sports car, the works. After about four times waiting inside there, and having the convoy suddenly flip out and start ramming eachother right before the alley and the target kill themself (The last time they started screaming about being trapped... Outside the alley, with none of the blockers up yet)... I just went back to IEDs.

Because explosives are safer than trusting the AI's ability to slowly drive down a dotted line, I guess.

EDIT: ^^^ I just booked it down those stairs to the right and took that mentioned tiny car myself, yeah. Though along the way I ended up switching out to a stolen ambulance. It CAN be done without a lot of hacker skills, it just takes a lot longer than it probably should have if I had unlocked more road hacks. Or happened across one of those little parking garages that only you seem to be able to open and shut the doors to.

Hell, one of my escapes I ran inside the two story building one of the early story missions takes you when I happened across it. Cops didn't want to come inside I guess... I wonder if you can hide behind the counter of a store from the police like somebody mentioned works against players?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 10, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you escape the police

Launch off the roof in the nearest car... and, as with all 'how do I escape the police?' questions... drive towards the nearest body of water. Find a boat, get in it, and leisurely take a drive around. If you've got it available, hack the helicopter to get it off your rear end for awhile. It'll give you enough time to get out of range.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

I think you're giving the story some weight that's not really there. In the intro, it's Damien who's pushing to see what's going on and sets off the events. Aiden keeps telling him to focus and wants to drop safely.

And it's Jacks that says the "I'm like the healer" and then points out it's just a game. You're sort of right, but I get the feeling the writers didn't mean for it to go in this direction. I'd say it's mostly writing about this cool goon that's only cool from a sociopath's perspective.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

From playing the game I imagine there was a first act and more stuff was gated off, but then late in development they completely opened up the game world and axed the original Act 1.

Drinking games seem like they're supposed to open after meeting Tbone for the first time, poker after meeting Tobias. When you first meet Clara she gives you a new phone that she claims will give you more abilities (the mission implies it too) but I could already do everything the game claimed it was unlocking (EDIT: though it does unlock the ability to get high end skills, so there's that).

Same goes for crafting, digital trips...ect.

Don't get me wrong, I really like watchdogs, but it feels like the narrative was cobbled together from something bigger.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 10, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snuffman posted:

From playing the game I imagine there was a first act and more stuff was gated off, but then late in development they completely opened up the game world and axed the original Act 1.

Drinking games seem like they're supposed to open after meeting Tbone for the first time, poker after meeting Tobias. When you first meet Clara she gives you a new phone that she claims will give you more abilities (the mission implies it too) but I could already do everything the game claimed it was unlocking (EDIT: though it does unlock the ability to get high end skills, so there's that).

Same goes for crafting, digital trips...ect.

Don't get me wrong, I really like watchdogs, but it feels like the narrative was cobbled together from something bigger.

AC4 has kind of a similar thing going on where you can go do a bunch of side stuff before the story introduces it.

Something that kind of bugs me is that after a certain point in the story I'm starting to hear radio reports saying that the police suspect Aiden to be the Vigilante. Which doesn't make sense as there isn't a scene where anybody finds this out.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Backhand posted:

Grenade launchers kill helicopters in one shot, two at most. Just sayin'.

Destroyer does the same thing and is even easier to get rid of choppers! Makes the chopper hack skill pointless even!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you escape the police after the prison mission. I managed to do pretty well in the prison itself and shotgunned all the guys in the final room without too much trouble. But leaving it is terrible; if you manage to get to a car (which isn't too hard), you're instantly swarmed by like 5+ police cars.

Stealing a fast car and hacking a bridge was good enough for me. After that, I drove under a bridge and hid until they gave up. No shots fired or coppers harmed... well, except for the one I shot to death to get to a car, but never mind.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Ytlaya posted:

How the gently caress do you escape the police
Get to a train or boat, then disable the chopper and ride/drive away. The police can't see you in a train or pursue you on the water without a chopper.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
If you shoot the sniper out of the chopper that will get it to go away for a while too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TheSpiritFox posted:

By the time I got to that mission I had all the traffic hacks plus the anti-material rifle. You evade the police by shooting the chopper and then driving away using traffic and blackouts, steam pipes, spikes, blockers, and bridges to leave the cops behind. They purposefully designed it so that you have to hack your way out of trouble, and once you figure out how to drive people through ready made booby traps it gets pretty easy really fast.

You cannot hack choppers while driving without stopping. Shooting them a few times with the anti material rifle I think knocks them out of the sky completely for a while. You can outrun them if you have a fast car and a long road. Or you can outrun the cops and duck into a closeable basement/parking lot and hide there from the chopper. Cops might search outside but if they can't get in they'll give up.

Okay, fortunately I have the anti-materiel rifle even though I don't have the traffic or helicopter hacks.

Megazver posted:

You don't need to stop the train or hop out. They don't see you inside the train, so just ride it until they think they've lost you.

This is definitely not true! The helicopter will definitely follow you while you're in the train, and once you come to a stop there will be police cars waiting for you and they will shoot you through the windows.

I think what I'm going to do is 1. check if I have a point or two to spare on some of the hacks I really need (like the helicopter or road hacks) and 2. shoot the helicopter with my antimateriel rifle and then try to find the L or one of those closable parking garages. It's going to be hard to kill the helicopter with a bunch of police shooting at me, though.

Do the police get called on you for using an IED?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Ledenko posted:

I think you're giving the story some weight that's not really there. In the intro, it's Damien who's pushing to see what's going on and sets off the events. Aiden keeps telling him to focus and wants to drop safely.

And it's Jacks that says the "I'm like the healer" and then points out it's just a game. You're sort of right, but I get the feeling the writers didn't mean for it to go in this direction. I'd say it's mostly writing about this cool goon that's only cool from a sociopath's perspective.

Maybe you're just not giving the game enough credit? Aiden wanting to get out of a job safely has nothing to do with his character, that scene is more about Damien being greedy than anything. And when Jacks compares himself to a healer in a video game, then rebuffs Aiden's attempt to adopt that analogy to excuse the mass murder he just committed, that's another demonstration of Aiden not being as noble as he thinks he is.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

Maybe you're just not giving the game enough credit? Aiden wanting to get out of a job safely has nothing to do with his character, that scene is more about Damien being greedy than anything. And when Jacks compares himself to a healer in a video game, then rebuffs Aiden's attempt to adopt that analogy to excuse the mass murder he just committed, that's another demonstration of Aiden not being as noble as he thinks he is.

That makes no sense, he wants to play it safe and that has no bearing on his character? If Damien listened the whole vendetta thing could have been avoided. And Jacks telling the guy that having something to fight for is neat in concept, but it's not a game (it totally is, how meta!) and people are actually dying doesn't seem to get through either.
In any case, he starts out a goon and ends a goon, even driving his family away doesn't phase him, where's the character growth? Even Altair realized he's not hot poo poo towards the end of AC1, as hamfisted as it might have been. There's a foundation for a good story there, but there are so many elements which seem thrown in for the sake of being there or were meant to be more meaningful but they ran out of time.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Ledenko posted:

That makes no sense, he wants to play it safe and that has no bearing on his character? If Damien listened the whole vendetta thing could have been avoided. And Jacks telling the guy that having something to fight for is neat in concept, but it's not a game (it totally is, how meta!) and people are actually dying doesn't seem to get through either.
In any case, he starts out a goon and ends a goon, even driving his family away doesn't phase him, where's the character growth? Even Altair realized he's not hot poo poo towards the end of AC1, as hamfisted as it might have been. There's a foundation for a good story there, but there are so many elements which seem thrown in for the sake of being there or were meant to be more meaningful but they ran out of time.

He wants to leave the Merlaut because he's in danger. A basic sense of self-preservation is not a notable character trait.

If Damien had listened it all could have been avoided - Aiden agrees with this and that's obviously why he doesn't want anything to do with Damien any more.

Aiden doesn't undergo any character growth and that's a big strike against the story as a whole, but we're not talking about whether the story's good or not, we're talking about the fairly stupid idea that the writers didn't know Aiden was a bad dude, even though every other character says it out loud at some point.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Something that kind of bugs me is that after a certain point in the story I'm starting to hear radio reports saying that the police suspect Aiden to be the Vigilante. Which doesn't make sense as there isn't a scene where anybody finds this out.

I'm still in Act 1, so maybe this does get used, but the police would have to be total idiots not to suspect him after the jail thing. I mean, yeah, he changes his name on the computer, but they still have a mugshot quality picture of his face. It shouldn't be that hard for 'this guy went missing from his cell the same day the Vigilante broke out of prison' to add up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The police are not actually thinking entities in this game. They are mindless automotons who attack whatever ctOS tells them to attack because they're over-reliant on it. In fact if one of the bad guys had pointed this out I might have given this game's writing more credit.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Since some people have been complaining about having the police called on them: Remember you can just use comm jammers whenever you see the "call in progress" symbol and never ever worry about the police being called on you while chasing a criminal or attacking a convoy. I had them permanently bound to one of my quick gadget slots and never once had to deal with police except when missions required it.

Although running from the police is actually pretty fun until choppers show up, since not being able to hack them while driving and constantly getting sniped is really dumb.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 10, 2014

cloneboy
May 7, 2014
I played the Tucci mission a few times because I got shot up several times trying to set up elaborate ambushes, blocking off traffic or using hackables to try to take out the convoy.

I eventually ended up being able to progress by stealing a flatbed truck, building up speed on the straightaway that intersected with the convoy route, and timing my run so that I plowed directly into his vehicle when they drove by, which apparently instantly killed him, so that was neat. I lost the rest of the convoy by weaving through side streets.

It's weird that I was able to kill him this way because plowing into civilian traffic with heavy vehicles doesn't seem to have any consequences.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

cloneboy posted:

I played the Tucci mission a few times because I got shot up several times trying to set up elaborate ambushes, blocking off traffic or using hackables to try to take out the convoy.

I eventually ended up being able to progress by stealing a flatbed truck, building up speed on the straightaway that intersected with the convoy route, and timing my run so that I plowed directly into his vehicle when they drove by, which apparently instantly killed him, so that was neat. I lost the rest of the convoy by weaving through side streets.

It's weird that I was able to kill him this way because plowing into civilian traffic with heavy vehicles doesn't seem to have any consequences.

I've basically used IEDs for all the convoys and that mission. It's a great opener, and if you've got to kill the guy rather than knock him out, you just wait for his vehicle to pass over it before hacking.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I did the Tucci mission in a neat way: I got in a car, got in the path of the route, and started driving very slowly. Tucci pulled up behind me, got impatient, and changed lanes to pass me... Putting him right over the steam channel. Boom.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
When you exit the prison there's is a ctOS box to the right and behind you. There should also be a car and a ramp or little breakage in the wall in front of it.

Blow up the box and drive off the roof. The chase should last about 10 seconds.

My new favorite thing for ctOS mobile challenges is to repeatedly shoot the helicopter down with the destroyer. Just takes one shot. I've ranked up to the extended jam coms perk but doing mobile challenges almost exclusively.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Tempo 119 posted:

He wants to leave the Merlaut because he's in danger. A basic sense of self-preservation is not a notable character trait.

Realizing a job is going badly and trying to respond, instead of blindly ignoring the danger, is actually a sign of clear thinking under stress. In many heist stories / movies there's a 'reckless' character that acts rashly under danger, and a clear thinking character. In that scenario it sure seemed that Aiden had correctly identified they were in serious trouble and should have immediately aborted. Why would you interpret that as "Aiden is a coward that tried to save himself?"

Also that part of the story was always implausible to me. You can steal $100k from a small business bank account with a trojan, and this is really happening right now. Why would you rob a gangster? Why would you go to a mob hotel? If you steal from Jim's Metalworking Shop he won't hire anyone to kill your family.

And all that risk for a $300k gig? Right now hackers are wrecking retailers for millions and I'm pretty sure they aren't getting loved ones murdered in retaliation, at least not by Target corporate security.

Even within the world of watchdogs it doesn't make sense because you could steal $300k from civilians in a few hours if you wanted to.

To me it always felt like, "Hey, let's rob a bank. But not just any bank, how about the federal reserve! Nothing bad could happen there. And if things go well, we might get like a million dollars!" I had a hard time accepting that premise right from the getgo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A very well put together and fair review of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnwVvAviNVk

• Locked thread