Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are there any strike weapons without lovely vertical swings on the r1/l1? I miss like every loving attack.

Why did they even have to make slash and thrust weapons so much worse for PvE? I really wish they would patch this poo poo so I could use greatswords for PvE as well.

Uh, you can, just fine. Slash and thrust weapons do just fine, even if they're a bit weaker than strike weapons. Especially if you're still in ng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are there any strike weapons without lovely vertical swings on the r1/l1? I miss like every loving attack.

Why did they even have to make slash and thrust weapons so much worse for PvE? I really wish they would patch this poo poo so I could use greatswords for PvE as well.

You can. You don't need to do riciculous damage and one-shot everything. Greatswords are still among the best weapons despite having lower damage than strike weapons because their movesets, a lot of the time, simply are more versatile. Case in point: The Claymore and Black Knight Greatsword. Both of which have slashes and a thrust, making them have great all-round utility.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The Greatsword WRECKS stuff in NG PvE. Grab that, upgrade it, crank your STR, add Ring of Blades, buff it, laugh at everything. My first character used the Greatsword through NG and powerstanced the Pursuer Sword (finished NG+ right before they patched it, aww) + Burger King Greatsword, had no problems. I love being able to do big burst damage to bosses that only let you fit in one or two attacks.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
poo poo, my Lucatiel build is on NG++ and she's still kicking rear end with the Mirrah Greatsword, only occasionally powerstancing with the Old Mirrah Greatsword when I feel like it.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Flytrap posted:

poo poo, my Lucatiel build is on NG++ and she's still kicking rear end with the Mirrah Greatsword, only occasionally powerstancing with the Old Mirrah Greatsword when I feel like it.

Ooh, that sounds cool! Hey, is there any way to respawn NPCs without going into NG+? I suddenly feel like killing Lucatiel again.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

teh_Broseph posted:

The Greatsword WRECKS stuff in NG PvE. Grab that, upgrade it, crank your STR, add Ring of Blades, buff it, laugh at everything. My first character used the Greatsword through NG and powerstanced the Pursuer Sword (finished NG+ right before they patched it, aww) + Burger King Greatsword, had no problems. I love being able to do big burst damage to bosses that only let you fit in one or two attacks.

I'm in NG+, just started actually. I've been using a lightning defender greatsword and a claymore. What did they fix about the pursuer power stance?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Jordbo posted:

Ooh, that sounds cool! Hey, is there any way to respawn NPCs without going into NG+? I suddenly feel like killing Lucatiel again.

Ascetic maybe?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Drangleic set looks good though. Except for the hat, that thing doesn't match the rest of the set at all.

That's because the Drangleic hat originaly was part of the Llewellyn set, where it fits. Why they changed it, I have no idea

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

VisAbsoluta posted:

I want to make a gimmick invader named ICANTSEESHIT, leave him naked except for a Black Witch Veil and run off cliffs every time just to amuse hosts, but the name censoring kinda ruins it. :(

e: sp.

Never seen someone wearing this. I think its a huge pain in the rear end to try and get it.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

I want to make a gimmick invader named ICANTSEESHIT, leave him naked except for a Black Witch Veil and run off cliffs every time just to amuse hosts, but the name censoring kinda ruins it. :(

Just use a lower case "L" instead of the second "I". Eg: ICANTSEESHlT

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Bob NewSCART posted:

I'm in NG+, just started actually. I've been using a lightning defender greatsword and a claymore. What did they fix about the pursuer power stance?

No idea - don't think it was just for powerstancing, but something about adjusting the animations, presumably for the better.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
DLC interview with something like 10 seconds of footage. The interview guy doesn't really seem good at handling PR.. I'm not sure he understands that the word "gimmick" has a negative connotation, for example.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For farming items: Gold Serpent Ring as high as possible, Prisoner Tatter Chest, Prisoner hood, + Rusted Coin? Or does the Jester hat have a higher effect?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Atreiden posted:

That's because the Drangleic hat originaly was part of the Llewellyn set, where it fits. Why they changed it, I have no idea

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I wonder if the second Heide helmet was originally part of the Drangleic set then? Because it's a perfect fit.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

DLC interview with something like 10 seconds of footage. The interview guy doesn't really seem good at handling PR.. I'm not sure he understands that the word "gimmick" has a negative connotation, for example.

quote:

It will be much more difficult than all the stages available in the main game.

And it sounds like they're balancing a hard-mode route through the DLCs for coop?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

sushibandit posted:

Just use a lower case "L" instead of the second "I". Eg: ICANTSEESHlT

Or just ICANTSEE, HELPCANTSEE, CANTSEE

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Seems like there will be both a normal way and a challenge route through the DLC. :woop: They expect people to go through the latter on co-op... which means that everybody will try to do that poo poo alone, considering the community of the game.

He also says that there will be a surprise when players complete all three DLCs!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
drat it there goes the willpower to resist buying the season pass :negative:.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Challenge route just sounds like the Covenant of Champions but I haven't actually watched the interview.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

Challenge route just sounds like the Covenant of Champions but I haven't actually watched the interview.

Could be, because he says that "even in the challenge route players can summon others", which could mean it's similar to CoC except you can co-op. Who knows though, engrish, etc.

Lt.Winky
Dec 27, 2006

And that's how I would sound with crabs in my mouth.
Page 666 of the dark souls 2 thread!

What's your favorite boss soul weapon?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

Could be, because he says that "even in the challenge route players can summon others", which could mean it's similar to CoC except you can co-op. Who knows though, engrish, etc.

Sure, that's what I meant. I hope it's more interesting than that and they finally make good on the promise of seriously changing the enemy layouts. The falconers in the intro of ng+ write a check the rest of the game cannot even begin to cash and if challenge mode can right that wrong I'm all for it. If it's just "the game acts like you're at bonfire ascetic +1 to what you should be" then I don't care.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lt.Winky posted:

The Chariot Lance owns fuckin bones. The Grand Lance does outclass it in a few ways but you can't get it until almost the end of the game anyway.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there a release date for any of the new DLC yet?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Lt.Winky posted:

Dual +5 spotted whips is fun to annoy people with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lt.Winky posted:

Moonlight is a real good sword as long as you don't gently caress up the timing on the energy swipes.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Moonlight is a real good sword as long as you don't gently caress up the timing on the energy swipes.

Everyone falls for the one-two-kamehameha. Try it!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a release date for any of the new DLC yet?

There has been since it was announced. July 27, August 27, September 27 (I might be slightly off with the day).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Which greatsword has the lowest stat requirement related to it? I want to use one on my new character, have it be a mix between my old battlemage and old melee char.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

RBA Starblade posted:

Which greatsword has the lowest stat requirement related to it? I want to use one on my new character, have it be a mix between my old battlemage and old melee char.

The Flamberge is 16/15. The Bastard Sword is 20/11.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stokes posted:

The Flamberge is 16/15. The Bastard Sword is 20/11.

Thanks! I already got a bastard sword off a lucky drop, so I guess I'll just have to pump ~20 levels of str/dex then. Started as a sorcerer.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

RBA Starblade posted:

Claymore is pretty low, though I don't remember the exact numbers. It goes quite a ways, too.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks! I already got a bastard sword off a lucky drop, so I guess I'll just have to pump ~20 levels of str/dex then. Started as a sorcerer.

If you're okay with going to 20/15 str/dex, the claymore is almost a categorically better bastard sword.
Longer reach, same R1's. The R2 starts with a stab instead of the overhead swing, which I find more useful for everything but lizard killing.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

animatorZed posted:

If you're okay with going to 20/15 str/dex, the claymore is almost a categorically better bastard sword.
Longer reach, same R1's. The R2 starts with a stab instead of the overhead swing, which I find more useful for everything but lizard killing.
The bastard sword has a really nice 2h r1 r2 combination though, and the reach didn't seem noticeably longer to me.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The interview guy doesn't really seem good at handling PR.. I'm not sure he understands that the word "gimmick" has a negative connotation, for example.

That's not necessarily the case -- gimmicks can be good or bad depending on deployment. If by "gimmick" he means "fun Sen's Fortress-style challenges," awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lt.Winky posted:

Thorned greatsword looks cool and is really good too. All the faith builds use the defender's greatsword but gently caress that. Oh so what if it has a built in buff, the thorned greatsword SHOOT LIGHTNING. I just wish it was still absurdly loud like when the Mirror Knight uses it.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I got the Butcher's Knife from the Rotten's soul but it doesn't seem that great? I haven't tried it much yet but at +5 the damage is not much better than my Sun Sword, which weighs 19 kg less. It makes sense to go Raw on it because it only has E scaling in one stat, right?

All I see are some filthy zombies. If you can't be bothered to use a human effigy for the ultimate fashion souls showoff shot, get out. :colbert:

I like the looks of the undead better. Had 22 effigies in the inventory when i took the screenshot.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Lucatiel chest piece is so great. :allears: Other pieces are the Hunter's Hat, and then the Judgement pants/gloves.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
So I was excited to get flame weapon by ascetic-ing sinners rise, then stood up and got one-shot by three crossbow bolts that I imagine went straight into my character heart.

Summoned some buddies, screamed at the black phantom exploding mummy, then jumped into the sinner and killed her in one try :c00lbutt:

E: then I realized I didn't have a pyromancy glove so I tossed some charcoal on my lance and 4 shot the flexile sentry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
What's the UGS in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfslXVsQk4&index=3&list=UUSrmlPBeqXGZY8uFbLrZESA

e: is it just the Zwei?