Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

spog posted:

Not that I am rushing to her defense or anything, but cars are a bit of an anachronism in that regards.

I can't think of anything else, owned by an individual, that requires preventative maintenance by a third party.

Gas-fired boilers?

You should be changing your filter on your hvac system, though that doesn't need a third party. Same with cleaning poo poo out of out door ac systems. Dryer exhausts need to be cleaned (parents killed an older dryer with that). Bicycles need it. Good shoes need to be polished.
An oil change doesn't need to be done by a 3rd party either.

That said, I would get another oil change, roll into a dealer and say "I don't know what happened and claim I lost the jiffy lube receipts. 50% chance of a new engine. God, what an idiot though.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CharlesM posted:

I didn't read all the replies but did anybody point out it doesn't have a low oil indicator light, just an oil pressure light?
20,000 miles probably isn't a death sentence especially if full synthetic but running it so low is what killed it I'd say.

Many things in home ownership unless you're kastein.

Literally anyone can learn to do (and do) the poo poo I do... most people just don't.

It really is not difficult stuff.

As for people we share the road with... someone caused what looked like a fatal wreck on i95 south today, somewhere near Woburn MA. I came over a hill going north and saw ambulances leaving the scene... a giant pillar of black oily smoke in the distance.

Got past it before the fire dept put anything out. Newer model Subaru, whole engine compartment engulfed in fire, multiple other cars wadded up and pointing every which way, only the right lane of a 4 lane highway getting through. Everyone on the other side of the jersey barrier clustered around something on the ground... then they all sorta looked away. Pretty sure someone died just then.

I just hope it was whatever dipshit managed to cause a fatal accident in full daylight, dry road, perfect driving conditions, not an innocent who got hosed over by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 9, 2014

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

The entrance to the intersection from the top is a street, the one on the bottom is a parking lot exit. Cars wanting to make a left turn out of the parking lot wait for signal 1 to give them a green light, they follow the yellow arrow until they are on the crosswalk and then they see signal 2 showing a red light to the traffic behind the white line, and stop on the crosswalk or in the middle of the intersection until the lights switch, only letting maybe one more car out of the lot behind them, and blocking pedestrians trying to cross and oncoming traffic trying to turn left.

Same intersection. The red building is a fire station and their garage lets out to the street at the yellow lines, so there is a big sign and that traffic should stop at the [red] line on a red light. Cars take this to mean that if they are between the red line and the intersection when their light turns red they can continue through the intersection even when the light for traffic going perpendicular has turned green and cars and pedestrians are starting enter the intersection.

May Contain Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 10, 2014

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

That's less "People you share the road with" and more "The terribly designed roads you share."

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm sure laws vary from place to place, but what do you guys do about jaywalkers? Someone is wandering out into the four lane traffic almost every day near me. Obviously avoid hitting them, but do you really stop every time someone walks into the street?

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Theris posted:

That's less "People you share the road with" and more "The terribly designed roads you share."

I cross at the intersection at least twice a day, sometimes more, and I only almost get run over about once a week, so most people are doing it right. Probably a bit of both though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deeters posted:

I'm sure laws vary from place to place, but what do you guys do about jaywalkers? Someone is wandering out into the four lane traffic almost every day near me. Obviously avoid hitting them, but do you really stop every time someone walks into the street?

Depends on where you are, but they might not actually be jaywalkers anyhow. Like a huge amount of CA roads contain "unmarked crosswalks."
That said, when I'm jaywalking (actually jaywalking), it annoys me when people slow down or stop (unless you're about to hit me, but thats me being a dumbass), I time the traffic and you slowing down may gently caress up the next part.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One of the major streets near my apartment has roadworks going on right now, to put in a bus terminal and some other random poo poo. The end result is that one of the two outgoing lanes is blocked every morning. Normally this isn't a problem, most people pile up in the non-closing lane like cattle, while the rest of us smart drivers zipper merge at the closure. There's a lighted intersection right past the lane closure, which kinda keeps everything regulated, I guess people figure that if they have to start from a dead stop anyway, they might as well let a guy in before going.

So yeah, it generally works out OK.

Today, some monster dumbcock shitlord in an box truck decided that he was sheriff of this here road dammit, and perfectly straddled the line between the lanes, to block people from passing him. This hosed up traffic all the way back to the previous intersection, loving up traffic for several hundred cars. All because it would hurt his fragile macho ego if someone were to merge in front of him.

It just pisses me off to no end when people deliberately gently caress up traffic for no reason at all.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Maybe you should stop cutting in line :smug:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

nm posted:

Depends on where you are, but they might not actually be jaywalkers anyhow. Like a huge amount of CA roads contain "unmarked crosswalks."
That said, when I'm jaywalking (actually jaywalking), it annoys me when people slow down or stop (unless you're about to hit me, but thats me being a dumbass), I time the traffic and you slowing down may gently caress up the next part.

This.

I have no problem with people who can time the traffic and walk when it won't force someone to stop for them. I do this all the time myself, as frankly I'd rather someone jaywalk at the appropriate time than make me wait for a walk light. What I have a problem with is the idiots who just step out into the road, often without looking, assuming you'll stop for them. I will, because I don't really feel like murdering someone, but jesus, pay attention to what you're loving doing people.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

This.

I have no problem with people who can time the traffic and walk when it won't force someone to stop for them. I do this all the time myself, as frankly I'd rather someone jaywalk at the appropriate time than make me wait for a walk light. What I have a problem with is the idiots who just step out into the road, often without looking, assuming you'll stop for them. I will, because I don't really feel like murdering someone, but jesus, pay attention to what you're loving doing people.

I'm not sure if the people who unintentionally do it are worse than those that intentionally do it. I've seen it so many times where the person does it and kinda has a "gently caress you, drivers" poo poo eating grin on their face.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

this is a a major problem here. Our average traffic speeds are quite low, and people are frequently too fuckin lazy to use the crosswalks, and generally don't check the lights before walking across intersections.

This is multiplied by the fact that people - young men in particular - don't want to be seen as hurrying, because walking fast isn't cool. Fuckers will be partway across the street then they'll make eye contact with you and walk slower, because gently caress You.

my solution? When possible, I (a) I maintain speed (b) aim my vehicle just ahead of the point at which our paths will intercept, and (c) no eye contact.

the no eye contact is key.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

buttcrackmenace posted:

the no eye contact is key.

Yeah, thats what makes hitting a pedestrian manslaughter instead of murder.

"I didn't see him, your honor."

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I had the joy of taking a 50 year old lovely clover leaf today. . . I-235 and Kellogg in Wichita, it's supposed to be rebuilt into a stack soon 'cause it sucks so bad. The ramp I was on has a speed limit of 15mph, so when I got to the bottom of the ramp traveling at a ridiculously slow speed, I spotted an F-350 in the right lane with their right signal on. It didn't take long for me to evaluate that if I pulled out in front of a truck moving 60+ mph at 15mph in a piece of poo poo Civic this could end badly, so I did what the yield sign did and yielded. Sure enough, a BMW behind me did not take kindly to this act. I heard about a second worth of honking followed by the rear end in a top hat trying to squeeze around me at the exact moment that the pickup blew past just feet away. After the pickup, the right lane was free as far as I could see, the BMW immediately stopped honking and fell in behind me getting onto the highway. If I had actually tried to pull out like that shithead wanted me to do I would probably be dead right now. . . But that wasn't enough, the BMW then continued to sit directly beside me, locking me in the right lane at 60mph for the next three miles while I kept my turn signal on and tried as hard as I could to vary my speed to get over.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

buttcrackmenace posted:

this is a a major problem here. Our average traffic speeds are quite low, and people are frequently too fuckin lazy to use the crosswalks, and generally don't check the lights before walking across intersections.
I scared the poo poo out of a guy who just did a ninety degree turn and stepped off the kerb in front of me without looking when I was in the Landie. He got an extremely shouty exposition on the effectiveness of forty-year-old drum brakes, then had the cheek to start backtalking me. Jesus H Christ on a bike. Yes, indeed, by the strict letter of the law, you may have the right of way as a pedestrian. But you're a loving idiot, very nearly a badly injured loving idiot, and you know how much damage my vehicle would sustain from rolling right over you? None whatsoever.

I mean, really. You can't drive everywhere at walking pace, and you have to basically clock people who may cross your path, and be ready to react. But if they do something deeply stupid when you're at the point of no return, it's not going to go well for them. Another ten yards or few mph and my jaywalking chucklefuck would have had a 7.50R16 up his bumcrack, and of course I'd be the one who gets the "why didn't you stop?" talk, rather than he getting the "well you're a silly bastard" talk.

I disagree with "jaywalking" being a crime, even in the category of "well we don't actually enforce it, but will use it to ruin your day if you annoy us", but the holier-than-thou "pedestrians' right of way is sacred" attitude is bloody stupid as well.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Maintain speed, engage horn and both middle fingers. It's an art.

But really, you have to be ready for anything, because people are idiots. Making sure you're clear to swerve, panic stop, whatever, because there is no way of knowing what someone already stupid enough to walk out in the street is about to do.

I've also had generally good results with revving/jumping at them if they're purposefully taking their sweet time.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I encountered the "woman barely seeing over steering wheel", with AZ tags obviously, that just switched into my lane on the freeway without looking whatsoever. Had to swerve over and honk only to see her confused face.

Gonna be a great summer here in San Diego with all the AZ/NV/UT drivers!!!1

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Chinatown posted:

I encountered the "woman barely seeing over steering wheel", with AZ tags obviously, that just switched into my lane on the freeway without looking whatsoever. Had to swerve over and honk only to see her confused face.

Gonna be a great summer here in San Diego with all the AZ/NV/UT drivers!!!1

Where are you in San Diego? I'm in Pacific Beach, where we get a ton of visitors from AZ. We call them Zonies.

Everybody chime in - What are some other state-specific names that people call out-of-towners?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

N is for Nipples posted:

But really, you have to be ready for anything, because people are idiots. Making sure you're clear to swerve, panic stop, whatever, because there is no way of knowing what someone already stupid enough to walk out in the street is about to do.

Yup, I watch pedestrians as far ahead as possible, and if they look like they are going to walk into the street, I assume they will just walk straight out in front of me without looking.

Assume the worst, have an out, and be pleasantly surprised on a regular basis when people don't try and kill themselves on your front bumper. :)

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I keep noticing a delicious trend of people starting their lane change before checking, swerving back as they see me barreling down on them. They signal, and they notice what's happening in time, so it's alright with me for the most part.

Better than the speeding, honking, cell-talking sedan cutting me off four times in a row without ever touching their turn signal. I tried to stick to them as best I could with both middle fingers extended but they began going irresponsibly fast and lane-swapping even more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I make no excuses for the terrible driving of my fellow Arizonans, most of them just loving suck at it.

We've got snowbirds - all of the Minnesota / Nebraska / Montana / Canadian plates that show up here between October and April. Usually attached to a Panther-platform car or an RV, and almost always with a full load of geriatrics on board. Only vaguely aware of the fact that they are actually driving around other people. :argh:

It's one of the reasons I welcome the heat of the summer; it drives most of them away.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SocketSeven posted:

Yup, I watch pedestrians as far ahead as possible, and if they look like they are going to walk into the street, I assume they will just walk straight out in front of me without looking.

Assume the worst, have an out, and be pleasantly surprised on a regular basis when people don't try and kill themselves on your front bumper. :)

I'm afraid it falls into the "someone invents a better idiot" category. There is always a point at which, if they step off the kerb, you will not have enough time to avoid them.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Before moving, there were a lot of coasties and fibs. I haven't heard any inventive names after moving.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

Where are you in San Diego? I'm in Pacific Beach, where we get a ton of visitors from AZ. We call them Zonies.

Everybody chime in - What are some other state-specific names that people call out-of-towners?

I commute from Encinitas to Sorrento Valley so I get to have the classic morning rush-hour experience.

With the fair here the Zonies are out in force for sure. UT and NV drivers are pretty bad too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

IOwnCalculus posted:

I make no excuses for the terrible driving of my fellow Arizonans, most of them just loving suck at it.

We've got snowbirds - all of the Minnesota / Nebraska / Montana / Canadian plates that show up here between October and April. Usually attached to a Panther-platform car or an RV, and almost always with a full load of geriatrics on board. Only vaguely aware of the fact that they are actually driving around other people. :argh:

It's one of the reasons I welcome the heat of the summer; it drives most of them away.

Same here in the Palm Springs area. I hate when it is 115 outside, but at least there aren't any Washington drivers on the road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowbirds are doing it wrong, you live in Montana in the winter and then live in Alaska in the summer. Get the best of everything.

Or if you're really, really into snow just live in Alaska full time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I live in Buffalo about 20 min from the border, so we just have "drat canadians" when they come over and fill up our mall parking lots.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I had the joy of taking a 50 year old lovely clover leaf today. . . I-235 and Kellogg in Wichita, it's supposed to be rebuilt into a stack soon 'cause it sucks so bad. The ramp I was on has a speed limit of 15mph, so when I got to the bottom of the ramp traveling at a ridiculously slow speed, I spotted an F-350 in the right lane with their right signal on. It didn't take long for me to evaluate that if I pulled out in front of a truck moving 60+ mph at 15mph in a piece of poo poo Civic this could end badly, so I did what the yield sign did and yielded. Sure enough, a BMW behind me did not take kindly to this act. I heard about a second worth of honking followed by the rear end in a top hat trying to squeeze around me at the exact moment that the pickup blew past just feet away. After the pickup, the right lane was free as far as I could see, the BMW immediately stopped honking and fell in behind me getting onto the highway. If I had actually tried to pull out like that shithead wanted me to do I would probably be dead right now. . . But that wasn't enough, the BMW then continued to sit directly beside me, locking me in the right lane at 60mph for the next three miles while I kept my turn signal on and tried as hard as I could to vary my speed to get over.

East side supremacy, I take the exchange between Kellogg and 81 at like 65 if there's no one in front of me :getin:

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Astonishing Wang posted:

Florida Fuckwad

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

Connidiot and Masshole.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

http://ask.metafilter.com/263242/Accidentally-drove-20000-miles-without-changing-the-oil-Now-what

I laughed, I cried, I realized that most people these days need a loving oil gauge on their dash to make sure they don't burn their engines down to the bottom of the crank case.

Most people treat their cars the same way they treat their appliances: they just use them until they break in some catastrophic way, then they either fix them and go for Round 2 or dump them for another one. Preventative maintenance? What's that? :downs:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Quebec - Imitation frenchmen.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Now that I am driving 3-4k miles a month again I have come to a conclusion on drivers.

They all loving suck. Every state.

Black, white, yellow, brown, red, green, purple, young, old, female, male... I have had all of them try to turn their 5 figure vehicle into a zero figure vehicle by wrapping it around my premium 500 dollar shitbox. Even with loud as gently caress mudterrains on it, even with an airhorn blaring at them for cutting me off while going 30mph slower without checking their mirrors AT ALL, even with a cherry bomb exhaust... or without an exhaust, for the week between it falling off and me putting a new one on.

People are oblivious loving retards who can't judge closing speed, have zero spatial awareness, don't care about anything between their mouths and their cellphone or food, and will definitely blame it on whoever they just almost ran into.

So gently caress em, I assume everyone is trying to turn the highway into a demolition derby and keep an eye on where they are looking, what they are doing (it certainly ain't driving), which (or both) line they are hugging, and simply pass at the earliest safe (by local standards) opportunity.

These are definitely the people I share my lane with. I didn't need it anyways.

The one constant is that distracted (whether by a phone, their navel, advanced senility, or alcohol) drivers are even worse than the rest.

E: oh yeah, priuses and minivans will be banned from the left lane when the revolution comes

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
If everyone else in the world is an rear end in a top hat but you, I've got some bad news to tell you kastein... :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Troll someone else ;)

Not everyone, just everyone driving around oblivious and stupid. Which is most appliance drivers... which is most drivers.

Hell, I've made mistakes, I am by no means infallible. I just have the decency to accept blame, back down, and let the other guy go when I do.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I couldn't resist when you said you owned a cherry bomb muffler. I hate loud exhausts. I hear them every night while trying to sleep.

I gotta agree with you though. All drivers are pretty universally terrible. When you say *group* are bad drivers, you just invite some other group to step up their idiot game.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I hate em too, I would much rather have a stock exhaust, but I was tearing a stock spamcan style muffler off every few months in the woods and that really gets old. A cherry bomb slides over poo poo so much better, if it contacts at all, and they are full welded instead of being crimped and half assedly spotwelded together.

I've since put a stock muffler back on, but used a bolted flange between the cat and muffler so I can take five minutes and swap the muffler+tailpipe before leaving pavement. Worth it, 140 miles a day of droning glasspack was getting old.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
That makes a hell of a lot more sense than all the people here, who use them because they enjoy making the entire valley echo with the sound of their gutted exhaust. At least they have classic american cars here with loud exhausts, not Vtec Sewing machines. We've still got sports bikes though.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That picture above reminded me to post this photo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

krnhotwings posted:

That picture above reminded me to post this photo:

Ok, that has to be deliberate. How do you gently caress up that bad?