Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Naked superbike superiority! Go forth, and let's do WHEELIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

Naked superbike superiority! Go forth, and let's do WHEELIES

... into mailboxes :v:

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Oh god so clean

And a pose-down with the roommate.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a drat good-looking bike. Have you thought about painting the silencers to match the frame (or getting a CF replacement to match the rest of it?). That's about the only cosmetic change I'd make. Oh and maybe some Shiver/V4 Tuono mirrors.

I haven't had any qualms with the mirrors quite yet and they're fantastic compared to how much my Falco's vibrated. As for the silencers; they're titanium and in fantastic condition. I hadn't thought about CF versions quite yet. As for now, I just want to get either some Danmoto rearsets or Aprilia Performance rearsets and put in a RSV4 rear brake master cylinder.

It's kind of nifty when I'm riding towards the sun and I can see the light shining through the carbon fiber right underneath the windscreen. It does seem like my Falco had better fueling at low RPM but that only came after a Gabro chip.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla

EvilCrayon posted:

It does seem like my Falco had better fueling at low RPM but that only came after a Gabro chip.

What was your overall opinion of Gabro's chip? Was it one of his off the shelf tunes or something custom?

My bike came with an RSV Titanium EVO chip (which matches the exhaust) and while it runs greats, it's definitely a rich tune and I'm getting only 30mpg on the freeway. Would love to have a bit more range for the longer rides.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

JohnnyDangerously posted:

Oh god so clean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_IlNbsILLE

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JohnnyDangerously posted:

Oh god so clean

And a pose-down with the roommate.

Someday they're going to make a 1190 SM-T and I'm going to be very angry and then I'm going to buy one. KTM supremacy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Left my camera taking pics on my helmet while I took a break cause I'm trying to see how long it'll go before the battery dies and it ended up being a nice shot.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
Put my new to me bags on the SV yesterday and thought they looked pretty cool so I took a picture.

Thanks Crayvex, riding without hauling a backpack everywhere is awesome.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Putting up my 954 for sale soon because I decided to buy a heavier and less powerful bike, i'm getting old I guess!

it's an 05 RC51, it's got some miles on it (56000) and it's a salvaged title but on the other hand it's the original owner who said it only got a salvage title because it got knocked over in SF leaving a very shallow dent on the left of the tank and some minor scrathes on the left fairing, but I made the mistake of going taking a look at it and as soon as he started it up I knew I wanted it. The miles don't scare me much because the overall condition of the bike is great and I have a gear drive cam V4 in the VFR with over 58000 miles and it has never skipped a beat.

Owner put brand new tires on for me before the sale, the chain has about 1000miles on it, the Remus pipes sound great with a little gear driven cam whine in the backround, and nice little ASV levers, and hes giving me a ton of spare/extra parts with it. Picked it up in San Francisco and took it for a quick ride and snapped a few photos and then it got too hot and I decided to take a break and bring her home. It's definitely not a city bike, a bit heavy and cumbersome in slow city traffic which was a little compounded by the at it was my first time riding it, although it's not my first twin. Great on the open and twisty road though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Possible sale price?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
3000$

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I was very close to picking up that exact RC51. Mostly because there was one time when I was on my VFR that I couldn't catch up to him on Franklin on the way to the Friday Night Right in SF.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
That's one sweet bike.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

tbb9 posted:

Put my new to me bags on the SV yesterday and thought they looked pretty cool so I took a picture.

Thanks Crayvex, riding without hauling a backpack everywhere is awesome.

They look good on there! I was amazed by how much I could stash in them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Put some bar-end mirrors on it, because besides looking better than the stock things, I find the stock mirrors on bikes always end up showing a chunk of my shoulder when they're adjusted to see the road correctly. Bar-end ones don't. Why don't manufacturers put them on by default?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Because, as I've discovered, they're impossibly tiny and hard to see out of. I find the mirrors on my girlfriend's Hyosung like massive HD plasma screens compared to my bar-ends. Shoulder-blockage included, they're still easier to see out of and show more than my 2" bar ends.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you ride faster than anyone else you don't need mirrors :eng101:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
My reasoning for only having a left mirror.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Chichevache posted:

This is literally my riding strategy with the exception of some 100mph+ mutters, fwiw. Mirrors on the Marauder shake so bad I couldn't see the Hindenburg coming anyways.

E: I was dumbfounded when I rode my R1 home, and realized bike mirrors actually sometime work so you can see other vehicles in them, vice a Chaotic blur of *something*

E2: bar-ends give me equal visibility as stock on the SV, but don't look like bizarre chrome bug antennae, they do require more quick and vigorous alignments though.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 10, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Slavvy posted:

Because, as I've discovered, they're impossibly tiny and hard to see out of. I find the mirrors on my girlfriend's Hyosung like massive HD plasma screens compared to my bar-ends. Shoulder-blockage included, they're still easier to see out of and show more than my 2" bar ends.

Mine are three inches, so check and mate :colbert:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Edit: phone postin from the wrong page

Chichevache posted:

If you ride fast enough on the KLR, the mirrors bend down in the wind so they're utterly useless anyways :eng99:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 10, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I bought a CA 2 stroke plated supermoto.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Mine are three inches, so check and mate :colbert:

I wouldn't be able to lane split effectively at all if my bike was two inches wider on top of what it is :(

nsaP posted:

My reasoning for only having a left mirror.

Yeah one mirror is the minimum for me, I feel completely blind without them. I ride pretty dongishly but I've never bought the 'don't need mirrors to go this fast' line. At least not anywhere near a city.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Edit: phone postin from the wrong page

If you ride fast enough on the KLR, the mirrors bend down in the wind so they're utterly useless anyways :eng99:

The fact that it's on a factory bike with factory mirrors is sad. It's trying to discourage you!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Yeah one mirror is the minimum for me, I feel completely blind without them. I ride pretty dongishly but I've never bought the 'don't need mirrors to go this fast' line. At least not anywhere near a city.

I always accelerate quite heavily (but mostly not doing full throttle launches) from red lights, partially for the fact that as long as I don't have any cars near me no one can hit me, and partially because it's fun. I usually lift off at about 5kmh over the limit or so. Well, since very few cars can ever keep up, I almost hosed myself over by being complacent once (and also because I had my mirrors off after having done something with the fairing which I fail to remember right now). This one time, the BMW next to me apparently took my existence as a challenge, because he shot off like a rocket after me (without me noticing). Cue me about to move over into his lane, completely oblivious to him being beside me, and promptly making GBS threads myself when he hanged on the horn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I always accelerate quite heavily (but mostly not doing full throttle launches) from red lights, partially for the fact that as long as I don't have any cars near me no one can hit me, and partially because it's fun. I usually lift off at about 5kmh over the limit or so. Well, since very few cars can ever keep up, I almost hosed myself over by being complacent once (and also because I had my mirrors off after having done something with the fairing which I fail to remember right now). This one time, the BMW next to me apparently took my existence as a challenge, because he shot off like a rocket after me (without me noticing). Cue me about to move over into his lane, completely oblivious to him being beside me, and promptly making GBS threads myself when he hanged on the horn.

I've had this happen a couple of times, usually a conjuction of me being on a slower bike than I'm used to and Racy McFuckface having a v8 commodore or something else with at least decent power.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I'm not sure I follow why someone would only have one mirror and not both.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I bought my bike with only the right mirror. I have no clue why the PO only had one on, but I'm going to assume he either broke or lost it and didn't feel like replacing it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

Looks cool brah. Alternatively some hilariously misguided notion of ~~racing lightness~~

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
In Vietnam you're only required to have one, and they're decorative (people never use them or look over their shoulders, basically ever) - so everyone just has one.

This also means that fuckhead motorcycle valets feel free move your mirrors wherever they'd like in order to cram your bike into a spot.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

The people I know with one seem to be able to get it to see behind them completely on their right (overtaking side in Australia). Apparently that's all they need. Personally I like to see my elbows on both sides, but to each their own.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I took a Yamaha FZ6R for a test ride once (it was restricted in power due to Learner legal laws in Australia at the time) and it had beautifully placed mirrors. It was a revelation. I've wondered why every bike isn't like that ever since.

Pity the loving thing only had half an inch of throttle travel due to the power restrictions on it and the gearbox was conceived by Satan himself.

varl
Feb 11, 2007
. . .

infraboy posted:

Putting up my 954 for sale soon because I decided to buy a heavier and less powerful bike, i'm getting old I guess!

it's an 05 RC51, it's got some miles on it (56000) and it's a salvaged title but on the other hand it's the original owner who said it only got a salvage title because it got knocked over in SF leaving a very shallow dent on the left of the tank and some minor scrathes on the left fairing, but I made the mistake of going taking a look at it and as soon as he started it up I knew I wanted it. The miles don't scare me much because the overall condition of the bike is great and I have a gear drive cam V4 in the VFR with over 58000 miles and it has never skipped a beat.

Owner put brand new tires on for me before the sale, the chain has about 1000miles on it, the Remus pipes sound great with a little gear driven cam whine in the backround, and nice little ASV levers, and hes giving me a ton of spare/extra parts with it. Picked it up in San Francisco and took it for a quick ride and snapped a few photos and then it got too hot and I decided to take a break and bring her home. It's definitely not a city bike, a bit heavy and cumbersome in slow city traffic which was a little compounded by the at it was my first time riding it, although it's not my first twin. Great on the open and twisty road though.

Hi there, SP2 buddy! They sure are happy in the mountains.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Backov posted:

In Vietnam you're only required to have one, and they're decorative (people never use them or look over their shoulders, basically ever) - so everyone just has one.

This also means that fuckhead motorcycle valets feel free move your mirrors wherever they'd like in order to cram your bike into a spot.

Same here. Law requires you to have at least one mirror on the left side. I tend to run with two that give me decent visibility (unlike 90% of scooter riders who have mirrors for decoration purposes only)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Chichevache posted:

I bought my bike with only the right mirror. I have no clue why the PO only had one on, but I'm going to assume he either broke or lost it and didn't feel like replacing it.

Well in my case I converted my bike to naked and there's not much room for a bar mount mirror on the right. I looked up the law and it said you only needed a left so I said "welp". There's only been a handful of times I've let a car come up my right side and surprise me.

Shimrod posted:

The people I know with one seem to be able to get it to see behind them completely on their right (overtaking side in Australia). Apparently that's all they need. Personally I like to see my elbows on both sides, but to each their own.

Yeah this, the way it's positioned, on a three lane highway the only thing I can't see on the right is my blind spot extended a car length back. You can still see behind you pretty well.

When I ride a bike with 2 mirrors it's like a bonus.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It did just dawn on me I should probably look up the laws in the states I'm about to visit though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

It did just dawn on me I should probably look up the laws in the states I'm about to visit though.

I know California requires only the left mirror, which is why it was so funny that the PO of my ex-bike only had a right mirror.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Chichevache posted:

I know California requires only the left mirror, which is why it was so funny that the PO of my ex-bike only had a right mirror.

He needed it for his next bike.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

nsaP posted:

Unless you are planning to visit long enough to establish residency and register your bike there, don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I don't think I've ever lived in a state that required cars to have two mirrors, so I can't see why they'd require bikes to