Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/11049946/rick-reilly-last-column

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rick Reilly posted:

You've been better to me than I deserve. No writer in history is more flawed than me, but it was never for lack of trying.

No argument here, Rick.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

This had better be a national holiday

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

That was a pretty humanizing article in some ways, and classic Reilly in others (namedropping Peyton Manning, ok.) But I couldn't give a poo poo, gently caress off Reilly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I glanced over some of the supposed "fixes" the guy listed for NASCAR.

It was pretty much stuff anyone in SASCAR would tell you about and be met with shrugged shoulders.

"oh, random driver's car got penalized because it failed in tech".

Not really "fixing" per say, more so "cheating".

Now there's other things that NASCAR the organization is more infamous for, but this guy doesn't seem to touch on that.
Brian Tuohy basically argues that pretty much every sporting event everywhere in the world is fixed at all times. Imagine if Alex Jones got into get into sports betting or something when he started living in Austin.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Yes but when will the athletes be executed after the Illuminati is done with them?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The fix

is in

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Get this man a Something Awful Forums Account.

He already has one

Kyooooooooooon

Yeeeeeeeeeeees It's party time

midwat
May 6, 2007

Reilly used to really sink his teeth into his stories, but it's like he's been on Novocaine for the past 15 years. His columns were about as fun as a root canal, and, toward the end, you couldn't be sure he was telling the full tooth.

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
http://deadspin.com/can-jason-whitlock-save-espns-black-grantland-from-hi-1586606960

This is a good look at Whitlock weighing down his own "black Grantland."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Thaddius the Large posted:

No argument here, Rick.

I don't know, I'd go so far as to say that copy/pasting old articles and selling it as new work is actually a lack of trying.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Weebly posted:

Yes but when will the athletes be executed after the Illuminati is done with them?

How many years now has Bolt been on borrowed time?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brightens my day to hear the Reilly news. Especially after the Redskins columns.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
If Rick Reilly retired from sportswriting in 2004, he would've been a legend, and people would've clamored for his return. Ten years later, we're celebrating his retirement. Gotta know when to hang it up.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Rising Suun posted:

http://deadspin.com/can-jason-whitlock-save-espns-black-grantland-from-hi-1586606960

This is a good look at Whitlock weighing down his own "black Grantland."

THis was a really good read. Thanks for posting it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Can't stop laughing that no African-American sportswriter wants anything to do with Whitlock's high-profile, deep-pocketed showcase for African-American sportswriters. Whitlock is just that toxic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Who will be Black Grantland's White Rembert?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sportsgenius86 posted:

Who will be Black Grantland's White Rembert?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AsInHowe posted:

If Rick Reilly retired from sportswriting in 2004, he would've been a legend, and people would've clamored for his return. Ten years later, we're celebrating his retirement. Gotta know when to hang it up.

He was horrible back then too.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

He was horrible back then too.

He was, but he was quietly horrible. After Reilly made an rear end of himself on TV for many years, the perception went from ignorable backpage sportswriter to annoying televised jackass. Once people got to know him better, the perception went strongly negative.

Of course, the same could be said for most every ESPN pundit/writer.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

He was, but he was quietly horrible. After Reilly made an rear end of himself on TV for many years, the perception went from ignorable backpage sportswriter to annoying televised jackass. Once people got to know him better, the perception went strongly negative.

Of course, the same could be said for most every ESPN pundit/writer.

There was a period of time where he was fine but he bought into his own hype quickly and devolved from there.

The back page of SI is just as bad now with Rushin's bullshit where he just picks a topic and then lists stuff until he runs out of space.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reilly wrote some good feature stuff back in the day, but that back page was either always the same schmaltzy feel good article over and over (some of which were admittedly moving, but it was still more or less the same column every time) or a bunch of lovely hack jokes about golf. And then later occasionally some self-righteous bullshit about steroids thrown in.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

While we wait for the Black Grantland that may never come, Shadow League's been quietly putting together some interesting stuff.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

How am I to feel about Whitlock? There's times when I actually really like some of his pieces.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
He's a decent poo poo-stirrer who writes one hell of a hit piece. Occasionally writes something that is actually thoughtful, can be pretty funny now and then. I actually enjoyed his radio show and wish he'd just go do that, it had as much dumb as any sports radio does (which is a loving ton) but managed to be surprisingly entertaining.

On the down side he thinks he's God's gift to debate and will run poo poo into the ground for loving years, no matter how stupid his original position was. I have no idea if he really believes half the poo poo he says. And man like that deadspin piece goes into he's insecure as hell and it's hurt his career.

e: Now that I think back more I should add that he's nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is despite being able to pull it off well sometimes.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 11, 2014

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

He's a decent poo poo-stirrer who writes one hell of a hit piece. Occasionally writes something that is actually thoughtful, can be pretty funny now and then. I actually enjoyed his radio show and wish he'd just go do that, it had as much dumb as any sports radio does (which is a loving ton) but managed to be surprisingly entertaining.

On the down side he thinks he's God's gift to debate and will run poo poo into the ground for loving years, no matter how stupid his original position was. I have no idea if he really believes half the poo poo he says. And man like that deadspin piece goes into he's insecure as hell and it's hurt his career.

e: Now that I think back more I should add that he's nowhere near as funny as he thinks he is despite being able to pull it off well sometimes.

This is how I feel about him. He can be absolutely fantastic when he wants to be but holy poo poo he's just way too paranoid and insecure to have any sort of meaningful legacy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I enjoyed Reilly's back page columns when I was a kid, thus proving that I was born an old man.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Reilly's success was a product of the times as much as anything else. He was constantly being fed all these heartwarming little stories at a time when SI was really the only way to share them with the rest of the country.

Today, most of those stories would just go viral from the local level.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

More Untouchables than a Mumbai wedding

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

Reilly wrote some good feature stuff back in the day, but that back page was either always the same schmaltzy feel good article over and over (some of which were admittedly moving, but it was still more or less the same column every time) or a bunch of lovely hack jokes about golf. And then later occasionally some self-righteous bullshit about steroids thrown in.

What is it with sportswriters and steroids. It turns even decent writers into grandstanding hectoring moralists.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WEREWAIF posted:

What is it with sportswriters and steroids. It turns even decent writers into grandstanding hectoring moralists.

Pearl-clutching about steroids gets you a ton of views/reads from every white person over the age of 35.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sports Media Sheep Game is now open. You should come play! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643521

Color Gray
Oct 10, 2005
BARF!
I only skimmed this article and I don't know enough to make an informed comment about it myself (so take the following for whatever it's worth), but the comments caught my eye and made me think of this thread:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11099957/seahawks-seahawks-owe-marshawn-lynch-new-contract

Mainly this one:

Dustin R Curtis posted:

Chadiha, Cmon man, you have no idea what your talking about. Almost ever.

"This is a key reason why Pro Bowl running back Marshawn Lynch hadn't participated in any offseason workouts before attending this week's mandatory minicamp."

No its not. At all. Anyone who has followed lynch's career (and you being in the industry should have been) knows HE NEVER GOES TO OTA's. EVER. Its not about a contract. Did you even listen to Carroll? He even reiterated that Lynch takes such a beating during the season, that they hold him out of everything thats not mandatory. And even in mandatory stuff, he does light loads.

Its been their philosophy since he got there. What is with you guys? Honestly, how shallow can you guys be. One person puts a bogus story up, with a bogus source, AND ALL OF YOU jump on it as fact. Then when so many of you write articles about it, you feel vindicated by the amount of information out there from it. ITS ALL THE SAME BS. Stop feeding into this crap. Stop pretending you have insight to matters YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT.

Grow up, and remember the days of your schooling where they taught you about proper journalism. Fact checking. Double source confirmation. And an obvious scorning of sensitization pieces.

Better yet, it may be time for a second career option. This one is obviously not your forte.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Get your sad on and read this piece about Eddie Griffin: http://grantland.com/features/eddie-griffin-nba-life-death/

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Akileese posted:

This is how I feel about him. He can be absolutely fantastic when he wants to be but holy poo poo he's just way too paranoid and insecure to have any sort of meaningful legacy.

I really like Whitlock. When he is fired up about something he is fantastic. His podcast is usually really good. I especially enjoy when he gets into a reporter's history and how they started. Sometimes he has some off the wall podcasts like his barber Big Deuce and him discussing Tim Tebow (probably the greatest podcast episode ever recorded), his 35 minute rant about the NCAA, etc. His twitter account is great. I like about 80% of his stuff, but the other 20%; holy god does he write some atrocious columns. His LeBron Game of Thrones column he dropped today is an example of the 20%. When he really tackles something, he does it as good as anyone. He is one of the few sportswriters who has really changed my mind on something based on his columns.

I have no idea why ESPN thought he could run his own website. He is a talent but if you look at his history I don't see how you think he could run anything. He hasn't just burned bridges everywhere he left, he detonated nuclear bombs on them. His not giving a gently caress trait is also what sometimes makes him great. As far as I can tell, he was the first, and maybe only, national media member to attack Charles Robinson's Miami fairy tale from day one. He destroyed those hit pieces. Hell, he attacked Thayer Evans so hard over the OSU stories he was suspended from Twitter by ESPN before he even wrote his first article there!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

So you're saying he's the Donovan McNabb of sportswriters

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean really, what can even be said at this point?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hey you, guy that spreads pine bark at Lebron's house, what INSIDER KNOWLEDGE do you have????!?!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Kalli posted:

I mean really, what can even be said at this point?

up next on clevelanddotcom, will lebron james invest in the rock n roll hall of fame to announce his move to the cavs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Deadspin has a story up about the New York Knick's FO's vendetta against Frank Isola. You're only getting one side of the story with this article, but it's not that hard to beleive considering the other things that Dolan et al. have said and done in the past. http://deadspin.com/how-frank-isola-became-the-most-hated-man-at-madison-sq-478620919

quote:

Isola said he had a good relationship with Barry Watkins, the team's former head of public relations, but it has been a different story with Jonathan Supranowitz, who assumed the post in 2006. "I haven't spoken to the guy in four years," Isola said. "First of all, because he's evil. And he's a bad guy. Supranowitz. He's the worst."

He blames Supranowitz for the ouster of former Knicks assistant coach Tom Thibodeau, who is now the head coach of the Chicago Bulls.

"I've known Tom Thibodeau for 15, 16 years," Isola said. "He has never once given me a story. We were just very friendly. Whenever I used to get a story, he used to accuse Tom Thibodeau. Here's a guy who might be coach of the year, but they wanted to run him out of the organization not because he didn't do his job well—he was great at his job. They thought he was leaking stuff to me. This is how dangerous some of the people are in this organization. Tom is the most loyal employee you'll find, and these knuckleheads ran him out because they thought he was telling me stuff. I mean, give me a break."

It also humanizes Isola a little bit if your only experience with him is Around the Horn.