Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

I had a gold's gym membership that was being autodebited to my debit card.
In January my bank issued me a new debit card due to the Target debacle. I totally forgot I had a gold's membership because I'd stopped going due to drama with coworkers who also went to that gym. About a month ago I started getting calls from a collections agency and I realized that I totally forgot about the gym membership. I also never check my mail -- checked it and I had like two letters from them demanding payment. Since they don't have a valid method of payment for me, are there any consequences of just not paying (outside of nonstop calls from collections agencies)?

You could try just paying the goddamn bill and taking responsibility for this.

Or, default on the debt and wait like four-seven years for the entry to drop off your credit report so that you can qualify for a car or home loan at a reasonable rate. If you never want to buy a car, home, or finance anything ever, then you don't have to care and can just change your phone number or something. This option also fits with your current strategy of avoiding real life which seems to be your way based on this one post.

The consequence of not paying is that you will have to take a lovely rate if you ever want credit for anything for most of the next decade.

The consequence of living like this is really between you and your god. I think it's totally legit if you really want to commit to some kind of bohemian lifestyle after some soul searching, but it sounds like you're just scared of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

regulargonzalez posted:

Try "toy vending machine" or "coin operated novelty machine"

Nice, thanks.

That got me what I needed, though it looks like the "industry term" is "Capsule Vending Machine."

Not as expensive as I would have thought...roughly $100...though I imagine shipping would be pricey since they're heavy.

Maybe I'll just go to a bunch of the dinky little corner stores here and offer to buy theirs...I can't imagine they really make them that much money, right?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe I'll just go to a bunch of the dinky little corner stores here and offer to buy theirs...I can't imagine they really make them that much money, right?

This is the best mental image I've had in my head in years.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DrBouvenstein posted:

Nice, thanks.

That got me what I needed, though it looks like the "industry term" is "Capsule Vending Machine."

Not as expensive as I would have thought...roughly $100...though I imagine shipping would be pricey since they're heavy.

Those stores almost certainly don't own them. How it usually works is, a corner store exists. An independent vending machine guy says "Hey, let me put these machines in your store and I'll pay you $200 / month" and the store owner says ok.

That said, if you find one of those machines there will very likely be a sticker on it with the name of the vendor. You could call him or her up and ask if there are any old machines you could buy, or try to contract through them to get your idea into some of his or her machines.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

regulargonzalez posted:

That said, if you find one of those machines there will very likely be a sticker on it with the name of the vendor. You could call him or her up and ask if there are any old machines you could buy, or try to contract through them to get your idea into some of his or her machines.

Well, my idea is really just for personal use, and a pretty silly one at that.

Basically, fill those little capsules with mini-bottles/nips of liquor.

The biggest problem, other than cost (of both the machine AND buying a bunch of nips,) is the fact that I have no idea if they'll fit in those capsules. I'm sure some brands will and some won't.

Unless I can find a used one at a really good price, I won't do it...I'm too old at this point. :(

Would have been a great idea to have when I was in my early to mid 20's, though.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The biggest problem, other than cost (of both the machine AND buying a bunch of nips,) is the fact that I have no idea if they'll fit in those capsules. I'm sure some brands will and some won't.

It looks like the standard sizes for those capsules is either 1" or 2". I'm pretty sure that even the "airplane sized" crown royals (the most-compact bottle that I can think of) are taller/wider than would fit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, my idea is really just for personal use, and a pretty silly one at that.

Basically, fill those little capsules with mini-bottles/nips of liquor.

Unless I can find a used one at a really good price, I won't do it...I'm too old at this point. :(

Would have been a great idea to have when I was in my early to mid 20's, though.

I'm assuming you're not American, as I'm sure that would not be legal in the US. How would you enforce ages? That's one of the reasons they did away with cigarette vending machines, which were prevalent in the mid 80s and earlier.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm assuming you're not American, as I'm sure that would not be legal in the US. How would you enforce ages? That's one of the reasons they did away with cigarette vending machines, which were prevalent in the mid 80s and earlier.

He's almost definitely wanting to do that for personal use. Like at a party.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ah that makes sense.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Those stores almost certainly don't own them. How it usually works is, a corner store exists. An independent vending machine guy says "Hey, let me put these machines in your store and I'll pay you $200 / month" and the store owner says ok.

It is a "get rich quick" business idea, and as such, there are a lot of them on the secondhand market. Look in the penny saver, craigslist, backpage, ebay, swap meets, etc. They are everywhere.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If the airplane bottles would fit I don't even think you'd need the little containers. You may be able to make it dispense just the bottle.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How does the vending machine business work? Like lets say I go to an Auto-shop and I see a vending machine for soft drinks by Coca-Cola. Is the Auto-shop paying Coca-Cola to have the vending machine there or is Coca-Cola paying the Auto-shop with the intents of recouping that with sales? Does the Auto-shop see any of the profit from the sales?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Volume posted:

How does the vending machine business work? Like lets say I go to an Auto-shop and I see a vending machine for soft drinks by Coca-Cola. Is the Auto-shop paying Coca-Cola to have the vending machine there or is Coca-Cola paying the Auto-shop with the intents of recouping that with sales? Does the Auto-shop see any of the profit from the sales?

Some distributor is paying the auto shop for the electricity and space, with either a flat monthly fee, or some percentage of sales. The distributor buys the beverages from another distributor, which buys them from the producers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hummingbirds posted:

He's almost definitely wanting to do that for personal use. Like at a party.

Yes, this.

And like I said, at this point in my life, it'd be useless, except on those lonely weekend nights where I'd be maniacally pumping quarters into it to drown my sorrow,s nip by precious nip. :smith:

And yeah, they're definitely too tall to fit in one of those capsules. And using it without them is just going to break the bottles, since the machine is set up to dispense things that are roughly 1/2" round shapes.

Welp, time to fall back on my other idea...vodka water cooler.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Not vodka, but... bro you have bad ideas. Sorry :sigh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kedo posted:

Not vodka, but... bro you have bad ideas. Sorry :sigh:
A liquor quarter machine is awesome. How is it a bad idea?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes, this.

And like I said, at this point in my life, it'd be useless, except on those lonely weekend nights where I'd be maniacally pumping quarters into it to drown my sorrow,s nip by precious nip. :smith:

And yeah, they're definitely too tall to fit in one of those capsules. And using it without them is just going to break the bottles, since the machine is set up to dispense things that are roughly 1/2" round shapes.

Welp, time to fall back on my other idea...vodka water cooler.

Or you could just pour 1-2 oz of liquor into each capsule. They seem to seal fairly tight. Then you just drink it out of the rounded portion like doing a shot.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Is this done correctly? I'm trying to figure out the amount of BTU's you get for a dollar from different energy sources. This seems ridiculous, for the same dollar a person can get 10x the BTU's of propane by using natural gas? These are New Jersey prices taken from the EIA and utility provider websites.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is this done correctly? I'm trying to figure out the amount of BTU's you get for a dollar from different energy sources. This seems ridiculous, for the same dollar a person can get 10x the BTU's of propane by using natural gas? These are New Jersey prices taken from the EIA and utility provider websites.

Propane was artificially high starting Dec-Jan last winter so your pricing may be off a hair compared to historic levels.

But yes, natural gas is significantly cheaper however if you live in the country your only option is propane.

EDIT:
http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/propane-gas-drain-cold-weather-high-prices-fuel-shortage

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

regulargonzalez posted:

Or you could just pour 1-2 oz of liquor into each capsule. They seem to seal fairly tight. Then you just drink it out of the rounded portion like doing a shot.

I did this at a family and friends function and made a mint.

E: note that you will only make money if you have a family of alcoholics

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Thanks to tough goon love I paid my debt and checked my mail. I feel like a new goon.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cage posted:

A liquor quarter machine is awesome. How is it a bad idea?

Bad as in already done or of questionable legality. If quarter booze machines were a possibility I think we all would have died of alcohol poisoning years ago.

He'll never make his fortune this way!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Wasn't there some goon who wanted to live in ancient rome so he could keep slaves or something like that, what was his name, and didn't someone make an emote about it?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Crankit posted:

Wasn't there some goon who wanted to live in ancient rome so he could keep slaves or something like that, what was his name, and didn't someone make an emote about it?

:agesilaus:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It's somewhere around page 45 in the ask me about Ancient Rome/Greece thread. I was just reading that part yesterday, and that fellow was interesting to say the least.

To be fair to him, he didn't really want to own slaves, but he did want everyone to recognize the glory and majesty of Rome and how much more they got right than we did while completely ignoring the, um, other objectionable practices the Romans had.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Is there a general name for the IQ test type problem where elements need to be ranked or ordered subject to certain constraints? E.g., you'd have to determine the order of the houses based on information like "the red house is immediately next to the blue house, but the blue house and the yellow house are not adjacent, and the green house is somewhere to the right of the red house," etc.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Matrix puzzles, logic puzzles, and matrix logic puzzles are the terms I generally see for those. Logic grid puzzles seems to be another.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a birdfeeder that I had hanging in my backyard. It was frequented all the time by squirrels and birds alike. I moved it to the front yard on one of those hanging metal things that goes in the ground near a few trees. Now for the past 3 days it has had absolutely no activity. What could be going on?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They probably just haven't found it yet. I moved a bird feeder from one side of my yard about 100 feet to the other side. A week later the birds still couldn't find it so I moved it back. I have pretty dumb birds though. I'm sure they'll find your soon enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

What's a decent Android app for archiving my old text messages?

For a zillion years or so I've been using one called SMS to Text, which dumps them all out into a CSV file that I can easily read, sort, search, etc. But that obviously doesn't work with pictures and other MMS goodness, which are taking up a bigger and bigger share of my texting.

I've found plenty of apps that will back up my SMS and MMS messages and then restore them all to a new phone, but that's not what I'm after. I just want to clear out the huge backlog of months-old texts from my phone, but still have them available -- maybe in something like an HTML archive?

Suggestions?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Our neighbor is giving our old car to his grandson, we agreed to give it to him for free since it's pretty junky. When we first got the car, the title never fully transferred which we didn't find out about until we tried to get the title to transfer to our neighbor. The problem was sorted out and we will be getting the new, corrected title in the mail in a few weeks. However, our neighbor wants the car before the title comes. He already has the registration and the car is road-legal and he's added it to his insurance. Is it a bad idea to let him take the car before the title comes, or would it be ok since the registration is current and it's insured under his name?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

What's a decent Android app for archiving my old text messages?

For a zillion years or so I've been using one called SMS to Text, which dumps them all out into a CSV file that I can easily read, sort, search, etc. But that obviously doesn't work with pictures and other MMS goodness, which are taking up a bigger and bigger share of my texting.

I've found plenty of apps that will back up my SMS and MMS messages and then restore them all to a new phone, but that's not what I'm after. I just want to clear out the huge backlog of months-old texts from my phone, but still have them available -- maybe in something like an HTML archive?

Suggestions?

I use SMS Backup+. It backs up all SMS & MMS messages to your Gmail account, tags them "SMS," and archives them automatically.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Koivunen posted:

Our neighbor is giving our old car to his grandson, we agreed to give it to him for free since it's pretty junky. When we first got the car, the title never fully transferred which we didn't find out about until we tried to get the title to transfer to our neighbor. The problem was sorted out and we will be getting the new, corrected title in the mail in a few weeks. However, our neighbor wants the car before the title comes. He already has the registration and the car is road-legal and he's added it to his insurance. Is it a bad idea to let him take the car before the title comes, or would it be ok since the registration is current and it's insured under his name?

I can't think of any way that it would be bad for you. Really the only person that could be in a bad situation there is the kid with a titleless car, and that's only if you were to claim the car stolen or something.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

AlbieQuirky posted:

Matrix puzzles, logic puzzles, and matrix logic puzzles are the terms I generally see for those. Logic grid puzzles seems to be another.

This got me what I needed. Thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I just had a call come in on my cell phone with a strange number on the caller ID. It was 6110451070000590, with no spaces or anything. I just ignored it, and they didn't leave a message. I'm sure this is not anybody I actually want to talk to, but my curiosity is piqued. 61 is the country code for Australia, but that still leaves way too many numbers I think. So what kind of number is this, and where were they calling from?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Answered

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 19, 2018

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

stubblyhead posted:

I just had a call come in on my cell phone with a strange number on the caller ID. It was 6110451070000590, with no spaces or anything. I just ignored it, and they didn't leave a message. I'm sure this is not anybody I actually want to talk to, but my curiosity is piqued. 61 is the country code for Australia, but that still leaves way too many numbers I think. So what kind of number is this, and where were they calling from?

You can spoof caller ID to show you calling from any number you want, it's probably someone you didn't want to talk to anyway.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I had to quit my job due to a mental illness, and I'm going to be applying for disability soon. Does anyone who's been through that process have any advice?

Find an advocate/lawyer to get their help when it comes to communicating to Social Security and handling the paperwork; they'll get some of your backpay but it's worth it. Know the contact info for all doctors currently treating you. Be sure to apply for state cash assistance once your initial SSI/SSDI application is submitted because you might get some assistance there. If you're approved, backpay is taken out to repay the state. If you don't get any response from the feds in several months, don't be afraid to contact your state's senators or representative for your district. They usually have meetings to help constituents with federal agency stuff and it can get gears moving faster. And remember that once you're well enough you can still get disability while working trial periods and/or earning less that $1000 or so a month.

Source: my wife and I are on disability for physical as well as mental health.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

stubblyhead posted:

61 is the country code for Australia, but that still leaves way too many numbers I think.

Correct on both counts. Australian numbers are generally ten digits long (11 with the country code).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
There's a PDF form I need to fill out. When I opened the link in Chrome, it was fillable. I saved it and opened it in Sumatra, and it's not fillable. I downloaded Foxit and that can fill it, but I've liked Sumatra better. What's going on?