Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Took my bike to the gym and had a hornet fly in my jacket and sting me the last 5 minutes of the ride, Also had a small bird smack me in the face the other day too. Maybe I'll just save riding until I get back from nova in two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Do you guys not do your jackets up or something? God drat.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Can I take a moment to gloat how loving terrible RideApart has become and how far its fallen from the original ideal that Wes Siler and HellForLeather were going for? And how there is no more deserving of a person than Wes Siler to have this hanging around his head? http://rideapart.com/2013/11/eight-signs-you-are-a-jaded-motorcycle-expert/

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 10, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Removed it from my bookmarks about 6 months ago, no regrets. It's poo poo. Total poo poo. Visordown + Twitter serves well enough.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Edit: dammit I read it wrong.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 10, 2014

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Coredump posted:

Can I take a moment to gloat how loving terrible RideApart has become and how far its fallen from the original ideal that Wes Siler and HellForLeather were going for? And how there is no more deserving of a person than Wes Siler to have this hanging around his head? http://rideapart.com/2013/11/eight-signs-you-are-a-jaded-motorcycle-expert/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdl-mzSkTtqAqed7CRNcD5Q

That guy used to be on some RideApart videos right? Channel is pretty good even if the videos are stuffed with branding.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Wes Siler is such a massive oval office.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BlackLaser posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdl-mzSkTtqAqed7CRNcD5Q

That guy used to be on some RideApart videos right? Channel is pretty good even if the videos are stuffed with branding.

Wait, Jamie Robinson or Wes Siler? Jamie Robinson is great in my book. Wes Siler on the other hand...

Yerok posted:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yerok posted:

quote:

Oh man, I did not realize that. I should totally reconsider my life choices based on your well researched and objective study. Sweet Prius, you ever been on the track in that thing? Oh man, I totally know what you mean, I’ve allowed life to get in the way of me ever doing any of the stuff I wanted to do too. No, not really. Sweet tattoo, looks tough. Seen my scars?

Douche chill

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Coredump posted:

Wow, that guy is such a massive douche.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

Pretty succinct.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
The top comment pretty much sums it up.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What a bitter asswipe.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's like listening to a techsupport guy go on about his users - and just as annoying.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

quote:

Oh man, I did not realize that. I should totally reconsider my life choices based on your well researched and objective study. Sweet Prius, you ever been on the track in that thing? Oh man, I totally know what you mean, I’ve allowed life to get in the way of me ever doing any of the stuff I wanted to do too. No, not really. Sweet tattoo, looks tough. Seen my scars?

Oh man, you have scars from being a lovely motorcyclist and not wearing proper gear? Excuse me while I wheelie away with my pristine skin cause I'm not a dumbass who constantly wads his poo poo trying to not show everyone what a badass I am!

(Sorry Zool :v:)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Oh man, you have scars from being a lovely motorcyclist and not wearing proper gear? Excuse me while I wheelie away with my pristine skin cause I'm not a dumbass who constantly wads his poo poo trying to not show everyone what a badass I am!

(Sorry Zool :v:)

I wear gear so that I don't scrape all my ink off onto the street.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Leaving my office this evening and I see this teenager on a scooter, riding like a complete jackass; aggressively weaving his way down the road for no aparrent reason. My guess is he just got the thing and was having fun. The corner near my office still has a poo poo ton of gravel from the 2014 Polar Vortex and the kid on the scooter hits that gravel and goes right down. I'm glad he wasn't hurt and I'm glad nobody hit him since it was in an intersection (and he was turning right on red). He looked a bit embarrassed so I hope he learned something before he hurts himself. :downsgun:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Three times in two weeks I have been stuck behind the lane splitting version of a road block. I don't split lanes fast. In fact I'm one of the slower ones out there going by how many people I let by. That's the thing though. I see someone coming up in my mirror and I pull into a lane and let them go by. Not hard.

First there was the guy on an F4i. Traffic is moving 0-10mph. He is moving...0-10mph. At most he would pull up to the door of a car but then get scared and slow back behind it. I was stuck behind him for two miles and I think he made it by maybe six cars.
Next week was Harley guy. Traffic 5-15mph. Let me rev the poo poo out of my bike on nearly every car that I come up on and then wobbly pass them at about .5mph faster than they are going. I'll give nasty looks to everyone who has the nerve to keep to their lane position and not pull over into the shoulder to let me and my hogg by.
Today loving BMW. Traffic 5-25mph. Pretty much the same as the Harley guy except when traffic opened up he would then start flying. Problem being, when traffic opens up people start changing lanes. I watched him have several near misses as he charged ahead into the lane changing frenzy. I then caught right back up to him when it slowed down.

In all three cases you'll notice no moving over for me, the guy who happens to like to keep moving and not get stuck in between cars moving at the same speed as I am. The Honda guy I finally got pissed off at went around in a different lane. The other two I let someone else deal with for me. In both cases someone else came flying up behind us, I moved over and they proceeded to ride the guys rear end until he moved over. I took the opportunity and rode by.

I'm gonna guess those guys are the same ones you'll see camping in the left lane even though there's ample room to move over and let everyone pass.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You just described every daily commute for me. Except I'm on a 250 hyosung. And the people holding me up are exclusively supersports and harleys (BMW riders don't split here because they all without exception have fullsized panniers that make the bike too wide).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

You just described every daily commute for me. Except I'm on a 250 hyosung. And the people holding me up are exclusively supersports and harleys (BMW riders don't split here because they all without exception have fullsized panniers that make the bike too wide).

God I wish BMW riders in London realised that loving fact.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I rode a BMW with original panniers on it through California once. Didn't even try to split, everything looked way too narrow for me. All the other bikes just whizzed by, made me grumpy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I split across the bay bridge on my vstar bagger. They're was room but it was a mirror slalom.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I totally forgot I put on a $700 Ruby helmet at Road America last weekend and I just started laughing and told the guy I would stick with poo poo from this decade

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

goddamnedtwisto posted:

God I wish BMW riders in London realised that loving fact.

I don't know if the R1200 bikes have them, but my Rockster has "City Bags" that aren't wider than the cylinder heads so I could filter with ease if it were legal here in Connecticut. :smith:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I am not enjoying working on my bike outside like the unwashed masses (mosquitoes :argh:). I think I need to start mooching garage space off friends.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand why lane splitting isn't legal in the US. In Taiwan they put white boxes on the road in front of the zebra stripes so all the scooter traffic can filter through the cars to the front. It just made everything so much nicer. Whenever I finally get a job, and can afford a motorcycle it's going to be really hard not to fall back into my old Taiwan habits.

Actually the bigger mystery is probably how it's still legal in California, and hasn't been shot down by "concerned motorists."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deeters posted:

I am not enjoying working on my bike outside like the unwashed masses (mosquitoes :argh:). I think I need to start mooching garage space off friends.

Every time I clean my garage out poo poo magically finds its way back in to it. I cleaned out a huge space to to prep my bike for a trip. 2 weeks ago I'm told there will be contractors working outside the house for a week or so, no big deal I thought. Now it's 4 days before I leave and my garage looks like this:

Materials on the left stacked on top of poo poo I need, materials on the right blocking the shelves with poo poo I need, bigass fuckin' log splitter chilling right in my work area. Bike barely visible in the back. gently caress.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 14, 2014

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
They're trying to get lane-splitting legalized in Oregon (again). I'm not sure how I feel about it, tbh. On one hand, I've never done it, so I have no idea what it's like. On the other hand, people do it a lot here regardless of its legality, and I cringe when I see them do it, because drivers here tend to hug the middle. I have no idea why drivers hug the middle, but there it is.

I'd be worried that we'll legalize it, and then bikers will get pancaked between two dumb car-drivers because they (all parties involved) don't know what they're doing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's fantastic, not trying to get it legalized is absurd. The entire world and CA manages lane splitting with pretty minimal issues, bad drivers will take out bikes regardless, may as well save time and reduce the chances of getting rear ended.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

HappyHelmet posted:

I still don't understand why lane splitting isn't legal in the US. In Taiwan they put white boxes on the road in front of the zebra stripes so all the scooter traffic can filter through the cars to the front. It just made everything so much nicer. Whenever I finally get a job, and can afford a motorcycle it's going to be really hard not to fall back into my old Taiwan habits.

Actually the bigger mystery is probably how it's still legal in California, and hasn't been shot down by "concerned motorists."

Being functionally the home of the automobile, a lot of our roads are really old and fairly narrow; this is especially bad on the East Coast. And we've also never taxed on car width like some countries, with predictable results. So lane splitting here would never be like splitting in Europe where they got to conveniently rebuild everything from scratch for some reason about 69 years ago, and the roads are filled with Ford Kas and wheezing Peugots instead of burbclave battlewagons and brotrucks.

California essentially just got populated in the last like 40 years so it also got the benefit of hindsight in making its lanes straighter and wider. Of course, they still ended up with I-5 so it's kind of a wash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Being functionally the home of the automobile, a lot of our roads are really old and fairly narrow; this is especially bad on the East Coast. And we've also never taxed on car width like some countries, with predictable results. So lane splitting here would never be like splitting in Europe where they got to conveniently rebuild everything from scratch for some reason about 69 years ago, and the roads are filled with Ford Kas and wheezing Peugots instead of burbclave battlewagons and brotrucks.

California essentially just got populated in the last like 40 years so it also got the benefit of hindsight in making its lanes straighter and wider. Of course, they still ended up with I-5 so it's kind of a wash.

Hahaha I doubt this. Every single piece of media I've seen in my life indicates american city roads are insanely wide, with every gigantic vehicle still having a large air gap around it in lanes, parking spots, freeway lanes and turn-offs.

Cycle lanes that cruise up the side and turn into a short wide green bay for bikes are amazing at big traffic lights, by the way. It guarantees no useless oval office'll be hard up against the mid-lane dividing line, preventing you from just going up the middle. The biggest impediments to me splitting here are traffic lights on single-lane roads, and certain sections of recently-altered motorway having the lanes substantially narrowed because some meatsack planner thought saving space around the motorway by narrowing the lanes was a good idea.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Hahaha I doubt this. Every single piece of media I've seen in my life indicates american city roads are insanely wide, with every gigantic vehicle still having a large air gap around it in lanes, parking spots, freeway lanes and turn-offs.

Exported American media is extremely California-centric. That's why half of Europe thinks US life is essentially Baywatch. It's like Americans forming their opinions of Australia and New Zealand from watching Mad Max and the LotR movies, only inaccurate.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

So .. there's not busty blondes running around bouncing everywhere on every beach in America, regardless of time of day?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I grew up in Idaho, and if people tried to lane-split there with their carriage-width roads and Swift trucks, there would be a lot of dead motorcyclists. I'm for it, but some places just aren't built for it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Cycle lanes that cruise up the side and turn into a short wide green bay for bikes are amazing at big traffic lights, by the way. It guarantees no useless oval office'll be hard up against the mid-lane dividing line, preventing you from just going up the middle. The biggest impediments to me splitting here are traffic lights on single-lane roads, and certain sections of recently-altered motorway having the lanes substantially narrowed because some meatsack planner thought saving space around the motorway by narrowing the lanes was a good idea.

If I tried to split in most city streets in/around Houston I wouldn't have a bike anymore. Or possibly certain limbs.

Hell, some of our -highways- are only slightly wider than a city bus.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
On the other hand, last time I drove in San Diego it felt like I could've taken the car down the lane sideways and still had room to spare.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I'm really not sure where he gets that idea - the roads I commute to work on were mostly laid out by the loving Romans and Saxons, with a few laid out in the 19th century.

The absolute best thing about biking in London (at the moment) is that bikes are allowed in (most) bus lanes on major roads. No filtering needed, you've got your own express lane (until you have to get around a bus, obviously).

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Shimrod posted:

So .. there's not busty blondes running around bouncing everywhere on every beach in America, regardless of time of day?

Well do you define obese men and women with huge sagging lumps of fat hanging off their chests as "busty"? If so, America is the land for you!

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I ... might visit Sweden instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shimrod posted:

I ... might visit Sweden instead.

Do it. The Swedes can seem a little haughty at first, but they're generally all nice people. And the hot Swedish chicks are hot.