Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

alansmithee posted:

Pitchfork is hardly ghetto and they eviscerated his albums. Honestly it sounds like you're buying into his hype-there's tons of non-ghetto rappers that are popular. Arguably the two biggest rappers are Kanye and Drake and neither of them are at all ghetto. And as for him distancing himself from hood stuff dude started off as a crappy Lil Wayne cover act. He was on a track with like TI, Gucci and some other ATL dude. The "distancing" came from actual rap fans not buying his crap, so he got extra defensive and tried to create some narrative about being to "different" to be popular, when there's been no time previously I can think of where there's been more acceptance of non-traditional rap content. I mean dudes is wearing skirts on the regular and getting passes, if donglover was any good he'd be able to gain traction. He's corny because he's corny.

Half the poo poo I talk about isn't hood poo poo in the least and I find dude ridiculously cornball.
Kanye and Drake still talk about the same topics though. It is still the same narrative: the angry black man, thuggish black man, pimpish black man. Drake has retreated into the mafia talk. Danny, Freddie, ASAP, who else is relevant today? Even R&B is going through the same thing (with Frank Ocean being the exception of course, there can only be one!) Most of this thread is a glorification of ignorance, which I enjoy as well. I'm not hating on the ghetto side but I'm suspicious of people that hate on the suburban side. I think a guy like Donald is probably more threatening to Pitckfork and internet types because he is hugely talented and might go to the same college as them. But a thug is purely imaginary outside of rap.

For every Donald, there are dozens of guys coming out of Chicago, ATL, NY, LA, Texas to drown it out. Chance, Vic, Kendrick are still rare voices. I think you are participating in a circular firing squad of alt types that ignores what is commonplace. You forget that outside of that Camp review, Pitchfork is widely held as poo poo for that reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

temple posted:

You forget that outside of that Camp review, Pitchfork is widely held as poo poo for that reason.
Definitely true, but what I've found is that some things are lovely enough to get shredded by even Pitchfork and it's usually pretty amusing. The fact that they're poo poo only makes it more humiliating for whoever's so lovely that Pitchfork is owning them. At least that's my perspective. I don't hate Childish Gambino or anything, just think he's pretty corny and mainly peddles in punchlines that would make even Current Weezy wince. I mean, maybe 3005 is just an unlucky choice on Rosso's part but lyrically that poo poo comes off just as corny as the stuff I was cringing to on Camp and his mixtapes. If it's the exception to the rest of the album, then okay I guess.

This review made me chuckle too.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16113-blue-side-park/

quote:

It's a presumptive conclusion, but it's hard to find much, if anything, in Miller's music that suggests otherwise. He is an outsider, but he brings no outsider's perspective to his music. Forget Eminem, Miller's point of view is less unique than Asher Roth's or Childish Gambino's. He lusts after fame, money, and women, and he smokes weed and parties. Obviously, there's nothing wrong with that; it is rap music, of course. But it does raise the question of why Miller is so popular, because despite his claim of being a cross between John Lennon and UGK, he's mostly just a crushingly bland, more intolerable version of Wiz Khalifa without the chops, desire, or pocketbook for enjoyable singles. Unless you buy into Miller's persona-- and why would you?-- Blue Slide Park offers you nothing that you can't find done more much artfully by, say, Curren$y.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

Kanye and Drake still talk about the same topics though. It is still the same narrative: the angry black man, thuggish black man, pimpish black man. Drake has retreated into the mafia talk. Danny, Freddie, ASAP, who else is relevant today? Even R&B is going through the same thing (with Frank Ocean being the exception of course, there can only be one!) Most of this thread is a glorification of ignorance, which I enjoy as well. I'm not hating on the ghetto side but I'm suspicious of people that hate on the suburban side. I think a guy like Donald is probably more threatening to Pitckfork and internet types because he is hugely talented and might go to the same college as them. But a thug is purely imaginary outside of rap.

For every Donald, there are dozens of guys coming out of Chicago, ATL, NY, LA, Texas to drown it out. Chance, Vic, Kendrick are still rare voices. I think you are participating in a circular firing squad of alt types that ignores what is commonplace. You forget that outside of that Camp review, Pitchfork is widely held as poo poo for that reason.

There is a whole bunch wrong with this. Like I can't think of a single thing in that first paragraph that's true. donglover can't go a song without talking about all the girls he gets, or the girls who are on him, or the girls he could get. When Kendrick talks "street" poo poo, he's not doing it to glamorize it or to puff himself up. It's a means for him to let people know where he's coming from and to show the perspective of a dude who grew up in that environment. And Kanye's always had a conscious vibe in his stuff going way back to his first album.

I have no comments about his comedy writing stuff so he could be super talented. However he's not talented at all at the whole "making rap music" thing. The big problem is that he's probably the most unlikable, obnoxious dude in terms of rap. He complains about supposedly not being accepted, when his whole career was based on a gag (check out where he got his name from) and trying to piggyback his fame from being the worlds most famous black nerd into a rap career. Like he's still not evolved past post Carter III Wayne in terms of rap style and his subject matter ranges from "woe is me, so many dudes hating on me because I'm actually really cool" to "I have so much money and get so many girls, man i'm just swimming in girls" to "you know man, there's like, some things that are good, but then they're also bad, man. aren't i so deep and intellectual for mentioning it?". Again, if he's smart, it doesn't come off at all in his music. And his whole whiny woe-is-me oh i'm also super smart and handsome thing wouldn't be so obnoxious if he was more clever with it, or wasn't already loving in his 30's. At his age, it's no longer good enough to just pretend he's smart-dude needs to show something.

There's like 100 dudes who are in the "suburban" lane out now. They may not all be superstars, but if he's really all about artistic integrity why would that matter? And Kanye, Kendrick, Ab-Soul, Mac Miller, Odd future, etc all play on the tropes mentioned less than donglover and have equal or greater success than him.

Also pitchfork isn't really considered bad. With the paucity of decent rap commentary and reviews, they're arguably one of the better sites for rap information.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 10, 2014

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

PAUCITY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
PAUCITY, PAU PAU CITY BITCH

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Also pitchfork isn't really considered bad. With the paucity of decent rap commentary and reviews, they're arguably one of the better sites for rap information.
Ask Chief Keef how he feels about pitchfork.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I agree 1000% with alansmithee's post above about donglover. Because the Internet was kind of interesting but the whole thing as an album complete with this (terrible) companion screenplay and other misc gimmicks surrounding its release came off as obnoxious and try-hard to me. I respect him for trying to do something unique but that is where the BTI props end.

Also saying it is better than his past work isnt exactly a ringing endorsement considering how low the bar was set by said past work.

Put much more succinctly:

Parachute Underwear posted:

Glover's album title is a fuckin meme, that's enough for me to write him off

Also -

TheFallenEvincar posted:

PAUCITY, PAU PAU CITY BITCH

:golfclap:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Glover's album title is a fuckin meme, that's enough for me to write him off

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
bodega bamz tho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4lCK2EBcHg

ps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K699rCVzoY

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
30 new replies? Something sick most have dropped. Wait, no, just another loving Childish Gambino chat.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

30 new replies? Something sick most have dropped. Wait, no, just another loving Childish Gambino chat.

It's temple vs alansmithee, classic title bout to determine who is the absolute authority on rap music (more specifically, donglover's artistic merits). Almost as good as a new gucci tape :v:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i enjoy temple and alansmithee's posts a lot so i don't mind really

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Seattle Symphony is the best symphony (I wish I'd gotten tickets to this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w59e20ijOpE

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

speaking as someone with a community avatar, childish gambino blows

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just think that Gambino lacks sincerity. We can hate on Gucci but there's a reason we get 3 mixtapes next week, and it's that the guy lives for and in the studio. Childish Gambino was picked from a loving Wu-Tang name generator.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

Prefuse posted:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prefuse posted:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Is it ok with Alansmithee and the other premier Something Awful rap critics if I like this song?
https://soundcloud.com/riffraff/riff-raff-tip-toe-wing-in-my-jawwwdinz

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

an skeleton posted:

Is it ok with Alansmithee and the other premier Something Awful rap critics if I like this song?
https://soundcloud.com/riffraff/riff-raff-tip-toe-wing-in-my-jawwwdinz

yes

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Really like the new Bones tape. Finally got around to listening to it earlier. I agree with whoever it was earlier about the track with screaming tho, because that track would be far better without it. Luckily the screaming is like 10 seconds at the end of the tape p. much

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
MAYDAY x Murs is out today, as is Canibus' new album.

MURSDAY is great, if you enjoy MAYDAY or even Wreckonize's solo stuff you'll for sure like this. It's different enough from their earlier stuff due to the addition of Murs but still maintains the "rap group with a band" feel.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about Canibus. The album is a concept album apparently about right-wing extremism in America? But nearly half of the album is taken up with soundbites from right-wing talk radio. It's really loving strange, and while I like Canibus' raps, the barrage of soundbites is so distracting I feel like it distorts the album. Any casual listener would think you're listening to Tea Party rap if they didn't listen closely to the lyrics.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
canibus still raps?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Babyface Mingo posted:

canibus still raps?
Not enough on his new album, which is exactly the problem (and there are very few features on the album, his co-artists are apparently nutty talk radio hosts)

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Babyface Mingo posted:

canibus still raps?

what's more amazing is that someone still cares

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'll take the fault here for going on Amazon and buying rap albums while blazed as gently caress. While really high buying a Canibus album seemed like a good idea.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Another Person posted:

Really like the new Bones tape. Finally got around to listening to it earlier. I agree with whoever it was earlier about the track with screaming tho, because that track would be far better without it. Luckily the screaming is like 10 seconds at the end of the tape p. much

I liked it too. The zune song is probably my favourite tho because spooky blacks voice is loving amazing. Is he releasing any new stuff? I've overplayed black silk over the past month.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

cryme posted:

what's more amazing is that someone still cares
Do you think there's one guy out there who still cares about Chino XL?
Wonder what happened to that dude. I remember liking Poison Pen as a youngster.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Shrug, like what you like and who the gently caress cares, at the end of the day it's just music. I mean I liked a good number of songs off of LASERS, and everyone hated that album.

I mean besides Tyga anyway, gently caress him.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Definitely true, but what I've found is that some things are lovely enough to get shredded by even Pitchfork and it's usually pretty amusing. The fact that they're poo poo only makes it more humiliating for whoever's so lovely that Pitchfork is owning them.
I remember one of the first emails I got was a friend calling pitchfork bitchfork and complaining about some review a band got. They establish if something is cool then write a review.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Prefuse posted:

Sorry, my comment was in jest (I hoped the stupid :v: emot would convey that). They're easily the two most articulate/thoughtful/passionate posters here and tend to make the most substantive posts so even if you don't agree (and I often don't) with what they have to say, their points are usually thought-provoking.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 10, 2014

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Chwoka posted:

speaking as someone with a community avatar, childish gambino blows

Here's some Pusha on some dude named Popcaan poo poo

http://pigeonsandplanes.com/2014/06/popcaan-ft-pusha-t-hustle/

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Ab-Soul feat Schoolboy Q - Hunnid Stax

http://www.xxlmag.com/rap-music/new-music/2014/06/ab-soul-featuring-schoolboy-q-hunnid-stax/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

temple posted:

I remember one of the first emails I got was a friend calling pitchfork bitchfork and complaining about some review a band got. They establish if something is cool then write a review.

There's a really funny review of some band they hyped up for years. Their album turned out to be bad and the review is just a picture of two sad looking dogs with the caption "sorry!"

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

doctor thodt posted:

Yo! NMD Raps - Wait, no, just another loving Childish Gambino chat.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's a really funny review of some band they hyped up for years. Their album turned out to be bad and the review is just a picture of two sad looking dogs with the caption "sorry!"
That was Black Kids

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

asap-salafi posted:

I liked it too. The zune song is probably my favourite tho because spooky blacks voice is loving amazing. Is he releasing any new stuff? I've overplayed black silk over the past month.

He's been putting a lot out with the dudes from Audio Perm. Finally some Twin Cities rap I can listen to

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
One of the freshest albums of the hip hop/slow jam genre is a compilation by DJ Screw called Late Night Fuckin Yo Bitch. It's got Brandy, Isley's, Janet Jackson, several R Kelly jams, slowed & lightly chopped. It really is the bomb digitty of slow jamz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k6ZBdLcgrI

crikster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 11, 2014

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Time for a Chance break ft Team Lightskin (and Isaiah Rashad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQ1OB5r5Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBgkOuPOaTo

Kevin Gates is in that video, rap thread.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 11, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
You can really tell the difference between black folks in music videos ten years ago and today. The way they dressin in the above video looks like they been lookin through the JC Penny catalog and hanging with a lot of white people. 10 years ago man, that old cash money allstars you'd see tim boots and black hoodies, chains. People get a little money they get changed. For example, Little Wayne.
I bet of them folks went up in the 9th ward, people would be rushin up on their cadallac and jack them lol.

crikster fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFjSzHKwBNI

This was such a good album, god drat. Purrp please unfuck yourself and keep making music like this.

• Locked thread