Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

jng2058 posted:

You say that, and there's certainly value in unloading stuff you're sure you're never going to use. However, when I got out of 40k back in 2004 I just boxed everything all up and stuck it in the garage. When 40k rolled back into vogue with my gaming group, I just unpacked 'em and started playing. So far I've invested $4 for glue to get my minis back into shape and I've been able to play just fine. Granted, I don't have a lot of the newer stuff. In particular I covet an air force for my Guard...a Vendetta or two would be nice. And there were some casualties over ten years. The box that had my Basilisks and Marine Dreads is missing and may have gotten thrown out at some point. :sigh:

Still, by having kept the majority of my minis I'm able to tap back into the hobby after a decade away with minimal fuss. And that's not bad at all.

That is the issue that is keeping me from just selling it all off. I've already spent the cash so it doesn't cost to sit on the stuff. And since it is all broken down it fits into a relatively small space.

I'll probably break it out and pour over it soon and make a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I wish I'd kept more of my stuff when I got out. I wanted a clean break and I needed to unload a lot of it before I moved, but I ended up fireselling a ton of NIB stuff along with like 13k points of various armies for just a few hundred dollars. I had that Games Day thunderhammer captain and that limited edition inquisitor both new in blister, plus a ton of other completely untouched limited edition stuff.

I kept a few BFG fleets and I'm really glad about that. But kicking myself for unloading 4k of Imperials and 5k of Eldar for what was even then a song.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
I've got maybe 2000 points of old crappy Dark Eldar. I haven't even considered playing with them, just because the models are so bad and my painting was so bad. They've been sitting in boxes for years, and I've diligently moved them from apartment to apartment three times now, and I really should just eBay the lot. But I can't bring myself to part with them just yet. Soon. But not today.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I just sold ~3000 points of Space Wolves last week and it feels really good to have them off my mind and out of the apartment.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whatever guys, I sold over 3000pts of poorly painted and metal 2nd Ed Eldar for a bunch of :420: :350: when I was 19.

Half of it didn't even belong to me.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
What do you guys use for transporting your space barbies? I'm messing around on the KR Multicase site, and $180+ seems too steep for me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Squifferific posted:

What do you guys use for transporting your space barbies? I'm messing around on the KR Multicase site, and $180+ seems too steep for me.

KR Multicase Kaiser 4. :homebrew:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Squifferific posted:

KR Multicase.
And I'm gonna have to get another vehicle tray sooner or later I think because I managed to score my first rescue project Leman Russ off Ebay for my Vanquisher turret. :woop:
But I need more tanks. Moooooore.

Of course I won't have any time to paint it until like August because I'm working. Have I mentioned I'm kinda amazed at people who manage to do hobby progress after coming home from work because I simply can't get enough focus to do it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Squifferific posted:

You can go to Michael's and grab 1" foam (squares or in a roll) and basically cut out the shapes you need and layer it. Recommend finding your case first though...

Also, it's pretty cheap and probably tougher if packed right.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Squifferific posted:

I use KR for my Warmachine stuff. I probably have about $300 of stuff from them because I like it so much. I typically use the double backpack and then swap cartridges in and out.

Given that a Warhammer army can cost like $600 and take hundreds of hours of painting, I don't feel $200 for a case is too steep. I have had my collection seriously damaged before during transit, and after the last time it happened I decided to stop taking shortcuts.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004

Sulecrist posted:

I use KR for my Warmachine stuff. I probably have about $300 of stuff from them because I like it so much. I typically use the double backpack and then swap cartridges in and out.

Given that a Warhammer army can cost like $600 and take hundreds of hours of painting, I don't feel $200 for a case is too steep. I have had my collection seriously damaged before during transit, and after the last time it happened I decided to stop taking shortcuts.

That's a good point. Thanks for the feedback and the DIY suggestion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Squifferific posted:

I always felt that carrying bags are pretty expensive for what you get. KR is good quality, but $30 for a cardboard box is highway robbery. For moving lots of models I put my trays into a surplus night vision box. Costs $20 and you could run over it with a truck:

The foam is pluck 'Blü Foam', which you can buy on sale pretty often. The dimensions are also larger than KR, so you can pack in more models. I'm super satisfied.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Squifferific posted:

I use Tabletop Tyrant cases - they're pretty dang cheap compared to KR multicase ones.

Link here.

There's basically two sizes of cases, each has a 'cheap' and a 'pricy' variant:

The 'Squire' and 'Kingmaker' cases (18 and 27 pounds, respectively, they're British) hold 131 mm worth of foam cases, so it'll fit four standard infantry trays (like the really expensive Games Worhshop ones). Squire is made out of plastic, Kingmaker out ouf a tough fabric, KM comes with a shoulder strap. Both have a plastic-reinforced bottom to make them a little bit tougher.

The 'Tyrant' and 'Dreadnought' cases (41 and 65 pounds) are double-size cases, so they hold 262 mm with of foam cases (8 standard infantry trays). Both are made out of a tough fabric, the difference is that the Dreadnought has extra pockets on the outer faces and the sides of the case have been reinforced with a 5mm hard plastic plate woven into it- it's very solid and offers good protection for your minis.

The prices I quoted are for the build-your-own cases - when you order one you simply pick out as many foam trays of your liking that'll fit into the case, and they''ll automatically be included in the price. They sell several different sizes of socketed trays (28mm infantry, 38mm heavy infantry, 38mm cavalry) along with different sizes of scored-pluck-foam trays (28mm, 40mm, 60mm and 100mm). You can of course also order in empty cases and a bunch of trays, but I think you'll end up with a slightly cheaper pack when you buy them together.

I've got a Tyrant and a Dreadnought each and I'm very happy with them - they're much cheaper than the equivalent KR multicase ones (though they don't make those nifty trays with the exact-shaped cutouts) and really drat sturdy. All the zippers and clasps are tough and high-quality, and aside from a few loose threads on a few seams on the Tyrant, the rest of the construction is just as tough.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can I respectfully request that the OP have links to KR Multicase? The thread gets 'what case/storage system should I get?' every couple of weeks, when the time could be better spent discussing how bad Games Workshop is at customer relations and social media.

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Is the SAG even a price increase? Ghazghkull is still up for $40, and I thought they had been priced pretty similarly. Not that this is really a defense of the price.

I'm more concerned with the Mek Gun. I assume it's only one gun per kit? That's a full 50% increase over the old Big Guns. Is there any other item that costs $2.50 per point? (Well, that's if you run it at the minimum point value, otherwise it can be "only" $1.50 per point, which I still think is a record.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Lord Harbor posted:

I'm more concerned with the Mek Gun. I assume it's only one gun per kit? That's a full 50% increase over the old Big Guns. Is there any other item that costs $2.50 per point? (Well, that's if you run it at the minimum point value, otherwise it can be "only" $1.50 per point, which I still think is a record.)

Ammo runts are $17 for three models, which are maybe 6 points all told:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ammo-Runts

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/dawn-of-war-united-in-hatred/

For those who haven't read the latest blogpost from ADB I almost recommend you do because it's really great.
And now I want to reinstall Dawn of War for that part.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HiveCommander posted:

-Mortis Cotemptor dreads with Assault Cannons can lay own the hurt on a Thunderhawk if it gets a chance.

Mortis Contemptors with Assault Cannons can lay down a mountain of hurt on almost anything. I had one deep strike behind an Ork Skullhamma and proceed to strip the last few hull points from it with 12 S6 assault cannon shots and a couple of krak missiles. The resulting reactor explosion blew up another 1500 points of orks and a few unwary space marines... but the Contemptor stood firm, blackened but undefeated.

Point is, get those fuckers into the right location and watch the poo poo fly.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 11, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2014/06/10/dawn-of-war-united-in-hatred/

For those who haven't read the latest blogpost from ADB I almost recommend you do because it's really great.
I read this this morning; what a perfect post. Dude is the coolest BL author by a country mile.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

quote:

I’ll never forget the absolutely unparalleled skullfucking slaughterfest that followed. No war movie has ever quite matched it. No battle scene in any book. Sometimes people will come up to me at signings and say how they loved the battle scenes in Helsreach or whatever, and I’ll look them right in the eye as I reply. “Thanks,” I’ll say. But really I’m thinking “You don’t even know what battle is. You weren’t there that day. You didn’t see what we did to Greg.”

quote:

And that’s when I felt myself infected with the tendrils of true dickery. As if this humiliating betrayal wasn’t enough, I actually answered in-character. Barney’s cold-hearted immersion ran through me. I became more than a traitor. I became a fuckhead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

I read this this morning; what a perfect post. Dude is the coolest BL author by a country mile.

At some point I'll probably just discard my dislike for Space Marine fiction and read some more of his stuff other than Emperors Gift and Cadian Blood.
Even if I wished he did more IG stories at the same time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Esser-Z posted:

They're both... overpriced? Beyond that, yeah, really not a good comparison.

So. Anyone selling any Tau stuff? I'm looking to scrape together a Farsight Enclave force.

I would sell off my small tau army email me at azutler at the good ol gmail. It's just taking up space.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

This is fantastic!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Cooked Auto posted:

White Scars dreadnought, immersion ruined.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004

JerryLee posted:

White Scars dreadnought, immersion ruined.

Maybe it has a bike?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Squifferific posted:

Maybe it has a bike?

Giant treaded rollerblade shoes like all the kids wear.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Sulecrist posted:

I kept a few BFG fleets and I'm really glad about that.

I've got three Imperial Battleships in my fleet and even though one came with two port side engine clusters and looks funny I'll not be getting rid of those for love or money.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Had another game with my Chaos Daemons/Chaos Space Marines in a team game at 1000pts each. My Daemon Prince continues to utterly dominate with its 2+ cover save and greater gifts. I think I really need to pick up another one at some point. Jink saves on Gliding FMCs is just so good if its a melee-only Shrouded unit. This game I also got Iron Arm for added insult and injury.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

Had another game with my Chaos Daemons/Chaos Space Marines in a team game at 1000pts each. My Daemon Prince continues to utterly dominate with its 2+ cover save and greater gifts. I think I really need to pick up another one at some point. Jink saves on Gliding FMCs is just so good if its a melee-only Shrouded unit. This game I also got Iron Arm for added insult and injury.
Nurgle Daemon Princes are just disgustingly good these days, and you really should grab a second for higher points totals. The only downside is that Jinking prevents you from casting some psyker powers properly (so long beams) and forces Snap Shots with Gifts and Witchfires. I know you said melee-only, but I've have my share of Hellfire Gaze/3+ Armor Save matched with Haemo/Leech Life/Warp Speed - some days, it's just better than others. That's Chaos for you, though.

Of course, Nurgle DPs are about the only DP I feel safe touching down and eating full rounds of shooting - they can safely make it into CC on turn 3, and with the right combination of Gifts and Iron Arm, you can even risk leaving them on the ground turn 1 and rushing them forward for a turn 2 charge.

What was your list, by the way? I'm always curious.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
My nurgle daemon prince has been on the bench since the 6th ed codex dropped. I'm keen to put him back on the table. What's a good load out? Every time I've gone to build one they've wound up seeming too expensive.

Get me in the game coach!

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 11, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Cataphract posted:

My nurgle daemon prince has been on the bench since the 6th ed codex dropped. I'm keen to put him back on the table. What's a good load out?
Chaos Daemon - Wings, Mastery Level 3, two Greater Rewards. This gets you moving fast, three rolls on Biomancy - with very solid odds at Iron Arm - and two rolls on Greater Rewards, which can net you Fleshbane/Armorbane, +1 W and IWND, or a 4+ FNP. Sometimes you get underwhelming rewards and powers, but it is entirely worth it for those days when you have a S9 T8 5W FNP4+ IWND 2++ rear end in a top hat that eats your opponent alive.

Since you are Jinking every turn, Warp-Forged Armor isn't strictly needed because of your constant Jinks, and though it can help keep you from being whittled down in close combat by mooks, it doesn't save your rear end from other MCs or dudes rocking Power Swords and the like. It can also be made pointless with a roll of the Greater Rewards, which is always a bummer, even if you swap out your weapon. Your call on it. Lesser Rewards are underwhelming, and most of them are situational. You can grab one for a Plague Flail, though - with Iron Arm, you can get S10, and even S7 attacks are a small edge in some situations. Plus, you can make the Flail eat Nobz or Characters faster if you get lucky. One again, your call - I like it if I have a few spare points.

Chaos Space Marines - Wings, Mastery Level 3, Black Mace, Spell Familiar. You lose out on Greater Gifts, which sucks, and have to burn a roll on the Nurgle Powers, meaning one less roll on Biomancy, which also sucks. Same principles apply, however, for use. But the Black Mace is great, at least! It means you can eat blobs of troops alive, cheat out extra wounds on MCs, and generally be a dick in CC. Terminators? Eh, die on a 5 or 6 if they are in range, 2+ or no. The Spell Familiar is strong since it lets you be more consistent with the powers you do get - rerolling failed Psyker tests means you can try cheating out 1 die on powers, and helps ensure Iron Arm does not crap out on 3 dice at a really bad time.

You're softer in general, and you can't get a redundant version of Armor from Greater Rewards, so I think that's a better buy here. A Gift of Mutation is hilarious, if often pointless - another good points sink if you have a few to burn.

Would recommend the Chaos Daemons DP unless you have a theme or need a CSM HQ, since it is just generally better. Roll on Biomancy, roll forward, beat face. You can also summon Daemons via Malefic with these guys, if that's your thing.

Sick (It is a Nurgle joke) model by the way, man. That red pops, and I love how it contrasts with the more mellow and rotten Nurgle colors.

Edit - These guys are stupid expensive, but generally worth it. For a budget, just grab 1 ML, Nurgle, and the Greater Rewards + Wings in Chaos Daemons. That's 265 points, some decent kit, and a chance to snag the Primaris - Summoning is an obvious pick - of any table you like. You can even strip the 1 ML, going to just 240 points for Nurgle, Wings, and 2 Greater Rewards. No Psyker fun, but you have a 2++ model cruising up the board that can still get FNP 4+ or rerolling Invulns, or whatever.

Greater Rewards rule.

Von Humboldt fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 11, 2014

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Cataphract posted:

My nurgle daemon prince has been on the bench since the 6th ed codex dropped. I'm keen to put him back on the table. What's a good load out? Every time I've gone to build one they've wound up seeming too expensive.

God that's horrible. Everyone in this thread does daemons so loving well. I want some.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Cataphract posted:

Not only did you replace the lovely Twoface head with an amazing fly head, drat does this mini look creepy with human fleshtones.

(Right: Twoface who is a cool guy. Left: saggy fat face.)

Man, Nurgle Daemon Prince, you are such a cool guy. You surely know how to smash things while looking good.

You and your ...

lovingly sculpted butt.

:yosbutt:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Post 9-11 User tell us why you're going to die

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Cooked Auto posted:

At some point I'll probably just discard my dislike for Space Marine fiction and read some more of his stuff other than Emperors Gift and Cadian Blood.
Even if I wished he did more IG stories at the same time.
Read his Night Lords trilogy. It's all in a handy omnibus now too. After that, read The First Heretic and Betrayer. I like Abnett's stuff but I will champion ADB's books all day erry day.

Also since I dunno where else I'd post it, here's some bases I painted up today:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Post 9-11 User tell us why you're going to die

Spent a couple days repeatedly vomiting after my fiance's latest screaming meltdown in a two month long series of meltdowns she had. Right after our anniversary, before her birthday she said she cheated on me, so I was going to put my brain on the outside of my dome. Between that and the lovely police not lifting a finger against: 1) people trying to extort hundreds of dollars from my elderly father, 2) someone destroyed my cargo trailer which was my one ticket out of here, 3) my neighbor issuing death threats, 4) same neighbor attacking Hannah when I wasn't around to break his bones. Police said it's "harassment" and to call them if he hurts or kills anyone (doesn't matter that I have him on video saying he is going to put my family six feet under, et cetera).

I had had my fill, was actually just waiting for the neighbors to do something other than be fat screaming mutants and maybe leave the building for once. I didn't want my body to be immediately disturbed by greasy pigs investigating it. Was going to manually trigger a 9mm round into my skull, was moderately concerned that something would go wrong and it would take many hours to perish.

It's been a lousy Spring. Turns out she didn't cheat, I'm out of here anyway. Going to do some fishing and hang out with real friends at a music festival. Sorry for being a fat gay babby. :shrug:

I was dead set on offing myself but was nagged by the thought, "I want to paint my dumb space horse cavalry." Life cannot get any more stupid than this. I was excited about painting again, finally made enough space in the apartment for my painting station, instead have to pack up my poo poo and escape.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

SRM posted:

Read his Night Lords trilogy. It's all in a handy omnibus now too. After that, read The First Heretic and Betrayer. I like Abnett's stuff but I will champion ADB's books all day erry day.

Also since I dunno where else I'd post it, here's some bases I painted up today:

Those bases are great, where did you get them? I use the Tech-Deck bases from Dragonforge (my dudes specialize in boarding actions) but I could use some variety and I'd like some of the Imperial embellishments that those have.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

let's be friends i like the cut of your jib

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Glad you decided to stay with us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah please don't anyone kill themselves. :smith:

• Locked thread