Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Weird plane time!

Miles M.35 Libellula

Westland Lysander P12

Blohm & Voss Bv-141

Pond Racer

P61 Black Widow

Azran fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I'm sorry, you included an awesome plane at the end of that list.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

They need to re-work it. Against semi-intelligent players the 10 seconds isn't nearly enough.
They should've reworked it via making maps less conducive to you ending up in their spawns, but that opportunity already passed (for the first wave of maps anyway; maybe I should have made a post on the *shudder* official forums during CBT since it is kind of important to include it in map design if there's respawning). With CA, it's also become frustrating from the other side with more erratic/late respawns loving over your positioning and getting you killed by respawners.

On Ash river from the south (and kind of the north) you basically have to drive through their spawn to get to the point/kill AI. On Kuban if you go north you have to go right past one if you continue pushing. On Jungle you find yourself basically in the inland spawns if you flank through the hills; the beach ones (especially the German one) are exposed to people pushing up the beach. On Karelia you can get vantage points that fire basically directly into them (even if you don't drive into them, which is occasionally necessary because the vantage point they give encourages pubbies to camp in them).

tl;dr: every AB map (especially in SB) is set up precisely to coax you into their spawn. From there, it's no wonder some don't leave (mostly shitlords that can't do well without spawn camping).

Having already hosed up their map design, they should define a time-kill boundary for the opposition team that prevents enemies from lingering right next to respawns for extended periods and extend the invulnerability some (is it map dependent? I've definitely seen longer than 10 seconds sometimes). Maybe eventually they'll learn to design maps such that only those looking to intentionally spawn camp will be the only ones finding themselves with a reason to do so (as opposed to "I won my flank, moving forward" = I am in their spawn).

bUm fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 11, 2014

Subyng
May 4, 2013
ugh, the loving arbitary-ness of this game really loving gets to me sometimes. One game I'm shooting down planes with a single volleys, the next, none of my shots are connecting and enemy planes are killing me with like in less than 2 seconds of fire.

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014
That second to last image looks like an airborne WW2 pod racer... or am I just 2stupidforwords?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It was designed for the reno air races iirc the post from the aeronautics insanity thread correctly.

it crashed and killed the pilot though :smith:

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Azran posted:

Pond Racer

That is a really pretty plane.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

T-44. They're basically invincible from the front to most tier 3s. He just sat there and murdered everything because it was spawning directly in front of him and he was back far enough that nothing would spawn with shots at his sides.

Well yeah, you can say the same about pretty much every tier 4 tanks fighting tier 3s. Tier 4 Germany is full of KwK43 88s which are more than enough to one-shot T-44s even from the front.

15 seconds is enough to aim a shot wherever you want, which is enough to kill.

Spawn camping is dumb, but it's not like it actually makes a difference in matches.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Dezztroy posted:

Well yeah, you can say the same about pretty much every tier 4 tanks fighting tier 3s. Tier 4 Germany is full of KwK43 88s which are more than enough to one-shot T-44s even from the front.

15 seconds is enough to aim a shot wherever you want, which is enough to kill.

Spawn camping is dumb, but it's not like it actually makes a difference in matches.

It really does make a difference in the small matches when you're spawning in and you're immediately ambushed by one or two tanks. If it's one tank, you can probably win ( unless your gun is terrible and it's armor is strong ), but if it's 2, you're going down. The fact that spawn camping is even a valid thing to do is pretty terrible game design.

If a T-44 is camping your spawn with his front to you, and moving even just slightly, you probably aren't going to hit his weak points and he's going to kick the poo poo out of you the moment that invulnerability wears off.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Azran posted:

P61 Black Widow

If this was in the game with its tons of .50 caliber guns, I would fly nothing else.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

If this was in the game with its tons of .50 caliber guns, I would fly nothing else.

It's in the list of eventual planes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Elmnt80 posted:

As noted, yeah, it's on the release tree. That said, it will likely not be very good in WT, given how the gameplay works now. No one cares if you can fly 1,000 miles and have radar.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Just saw my first attempt of a base bomber rush in combined arms. if it was not for the fact it was RB, they would of won

Edit:

PZ III L's and F1's against mu SU 122 :smug:

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 11, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is the difference between the two P-47 models? They look exactly the same stat wise.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is the difference between the two P-47 models? They look exactly the same stat wise.

I think it's mostly stuff that isn't actually modeled in game. You can see some of what was different if you read the information section on the planes.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pro-spawn camping is hiding somewhere they don't see you and waiting for the inv. to wear off, then you pop them from the side.

This is especially viable for the left side-spawns on Karelia, but I've managed to sling around the top side of Ash River too.

Probably hardest to manage on Jungle.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The 28 has a different prop. They're functionally identical in game.

RolandIsNotOkay
Jun 7, 2014

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's in the list of eventual planes.

That's interesting news maybe we'll see it before 2020?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Hokkaido. gently caress Hokkaido. If I'm not being chased by fighters, I'm being chased by B-17s. Those things are relentless. One made a pass at me when I took my Lancaster in on it's bombing run. We traded shots, then went about our appointed tasks. A few minutes later, I'm empty and heading back to base... And I see a B-17 coming right at me, likely doing the same.

gently caress it. I flew straight at him, manning my front turret. We flew at each other, chin guns blazing, and at the last minute, he tried to pull up. I yanked up with him, and I hit him, but it was only a glancing blow. Our bombers traded paint and kept flying, but with a few more holes. I turned for my base, figuring he'd do the same. I looked back and saw that motherfucker chasing me down, 1.5 KM out. He was gaining on me.

He came in from below, meaning I could only use my tail turret on him. He brought more, bigger guns to the fight than the Lancaster, but I had the wind on my side. He closed in, closer and closer, plinking away at my poor bomber... Then, fire! His right most engine caught fire. Then another fire sprouted up near his fuselage, and he went down, indignantly pelting my plane all the way down.

:britain: I love bomber fights.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Soviet Luchador

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heliosicle posted:

Soviet Luchador

I have been recently getting into simulator combined battles and I want to thank you and everyone else who does this for providing me with spotting aid, spotting for tanks from the cockpit isn't easy. Honestly, I feel like it's easier to nail a plane with tank gun thank kill a tank with a bomb, in SB, even tho I still do manage to get bombkills with the KingCobra, however the best results are achieved through suicide bombing.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Jokes on you I only play realistic :smug:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
You can one shot medium tanks with the 57mm on the cannon Mosquito. I didn't know this. Sure makes farming up Hokkaido a shitload easier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You can one shot medium tanks with the 57mm on the cannon Mosquito. I didn't know this. Sure makes farming up Hokkaido a shitload easier.

IIRC, Helio just about cleaned up the entire map of Ruhr or Berlin or whichever one has a crapload of light pillboxes in about 5 minutes using the combo of that dumb plane's gun and its speed.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Besides the previously mentioned prop, they don't paint the later one. Use your shiny surface to blind foes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

IIRC, Helio just about cleaned up the entire map of Ruhr or Berlin or whichever one has a crapload of light pillboxes in about 5 minutes using the combo of that dumb plane's gun and its speed.

It seems pretty fun, but I have no luck with it once the rooms thicken up. Any fighter that isn't poo poo shreds my poor little crabbing Mosquito. Also:

:allears:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

One has invasion stripes, the other does not. The one with invasion stripes is obviously superior.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The second one in the stack can equip Bazookas.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It seems pretty fun, but I have no luck with it once the rooms thicken up. Any fighter that isn't poo poo shreds my poor little crabbing Mosquito. Also:

:allears:

The Mosquito can outturn most fighters in the horizontal plane. As long as it's fast enough. Though if someone starts using Yo-Yos against you; it's time to leave the party.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The D-28 has an awesome landing light under the left wing that deploys together with your landing gear. It also has the ability to carry M10 Bazookas or HVAR rockets while the D-25 only has access to the HVAR.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Plus it's 3 numbers higher. Taking a look at my spreadsheets confirmed this is the better plane.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The Mosquito can outturn most fighters in the horizontal plane. As long as it's fast enough. Though if someone starts using Yo-Yos against you; it's time to leave the party.

Yeah, I have plenty of luck killing fighters in the standard Mosquito, because of its guns. It's less fun when you have 4 .30 cals and a big dumb bloop gun.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm willing to believe I just suck at Mosquitos, but I didn't have the best luck turning with mine.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The Mosquito handles like crap now that they quadrupled its minimum fuel load, it was nice and nimble before that.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is the extra armor on the front of the Pz IV G really worth the whole extra battle rank? The turret on the F2 was always the weak point to begin with, not the hull :psyduck:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is the extra armor on the front of the Pz IV G really worth the whole extra battle rank? The turret on the F2 was always the weak point to begin with, not the hull :psyduck:

No the Pz IVs seem to follow a ever even tank is poo poo rule. That is not to say the odd tanks are great but the even one are terrible.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Stug Ausf. F is the best Stug, Pz IV Ausf. F is the best Pz IV, Bf-109F is the best Bf-109. I'm sensing a pattern here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I've been playing this for the past week on PS4. Didn't find the thread until a couple of days ago so I didn't get a referral link for a squadron. How do I play with goons? Also I'm pretty poo poo but I'm playing with a controller so probably not as nimble as KBM. I do have an old flight stick laying around, I should plug it into the console and see if it works :haw:

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

SubponticatePoster posted:

I've been playing this for the past week on PS4. Didn't find the thread until a couple of days ago so I didn't get a referral link for a squadron. How do I play with goons? Also I'm pretty poo poo but I'm playing with a controller so probably not as nimble as KBM. I do have an old flight stick laying around, I should plug it into the console and see if it works :haw:

Anyone here know if PS4 players can squad with console players? Usually where you go to play with goons is the Camping the Stairs mumble channel, I dunno how you have things set up so I don't know if talking on mumble is an option for you when you're on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
:qqsay: m-m-my frags :qqsay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzp7kVs4xBQ

• Locked thread