Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

I meant more in terms of "if you want the core PDFs for other games you can go anywhere, but if you want Pathfinder you have to go through Paizo."

On top of what Winson said, they would be taking a 35% cut on sales from there, and according to the DTRPG publisher agreement, they couldn't offer any discounts for an extended period of time on their own store unless they matched them on the DTRPG store. Now, being a big name in the game, they could probably negotiate something, but thats what the agreement says.

See Fred Hicks' recent blog on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Was there ever a Pendragon thread? I remember some discussions of particularly good campaigns in the catpiss threads, and a little discussion on the relation to playing good paladins, but that was years ago.

Just picked up the mega-bundle from the Bag of Holding, and was curious if anyone had experience playing.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Dagon posted:

On top of what Winson said, they would be taking a 35% cut on sales from there, and according to the DTRPG publisher agreement, they couldn't offer any discounts for an extended period of time on their own store unless they matched them on the DTRPG store. Now, being a big name in the game, they could probably negotiate something, but thats what the agreement says.

See Fred Hicks' recent blog on the matter.

Oh poo poo, that had not even occurred to me. Yeah, the DTRPG deal is not a bad one for a little guy who just wants a larger vehicle for product, but gently caress, Paizo is hyooge in relative terms and actually seems to understand how a webstore works.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I can't actually blame them, I guess? I mean they are big enough to maintain their own webstore and they get to keep all the money they make from selling things through it. It makes a hell of a lot of sense, really. I bet if WOTC had any sense of web infrastructure or gave a poo poo about selling PDFs they would do the same thing.
Yeah, I get that. A large part of why people like DTRPG is because it's all your stuff in one place and "on the cloud" as it were, and if you're a smaller company it gives you a lot more exposure than trying to promote things yourself and saves you the hassle of setting up your own store. Paizo's big enough they don't need the boost or someone else hosting their stuff for them.

Fred Hicks talked about this recently; the cost of distributing on DriveThru compared to just your own webstore.

quote:

DriveThru has a pretty clear notion of the value to publishers. Depending on whether you’re exclusive with them for PDF sales or not (we’re not), their cut is 30% or 35% respectively. That’s a pretty significant chunka change, you might say. I’ve done enough e-commerce to nod and say, yeah, but the cost of running that site and providing those services and maintaining their market position makes that seem reasonably correct. It does mean that for the purposes of the experiment, even tho we sell for ~$12 through them, we’re making about $2 less per sale than the $10 item on our website gets, due to the cut. Someone talked to me about this on Google Plus when I first put the PDF out there, and I nodded happily and said (paraphrased) “if it’s worth $2 more to you to get it on your DriveThru bookshelf, it’s certainly worth $2 to us to make that possible for you”.

e: dammit, everyone stop posting so fast! :argh:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Verr posted:

Was there ever a Pendragon thread? I remember some discussions of particularly good campaigns in the catpiss threads, and a little discussion on the relation to playing good paladins, but that was years ago.

Just picked up the mega-bundle from the Bag of Holding, and was curious if anyone had experience playing.

I am certain we have had at least one, although it may be archived. I like Pendragon, it is a neat idea.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

I WAS BEATEN BY DAGON AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY EMPTYQUOTE

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

I am certain we have had at least one, although it may be archived. I like Pendragon, it is a neat idea.

The terrible bad ideas man inside me wants to run the entire 85 year campaign.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

/\ - Do it!

I went back a few years and I couldn't find anything. No worries, I've got like 4-5 rulebooks/splatbooks to chew through. Would folks around here be interested in a PbP game?

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

Verr posted:

/\ - Do it!

I went back a few years and I couldn't find anything. No worries, I've got like 4-5 rulebooks/splatbooks to chew through. Would folks around here be interested in a PbP game?

I'm interested in all PbPs. But I also just got the bundle and need to read through it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd complain about being mocked, but attention is attention.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Verr posted:

/\ - Do it!

I would. I grabbed the bundle and it's just going to waste right now.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I get that. A large part of why people like DTRPG is because it's all your stuff in one place and "on the cloud" as it were, and if you're a smaller company it gives you a lot more exposure than trying to promote things yourself and saves you the hassle of setting up your own store. Paizo's big enough they don't need the boost or someone else hosting their stuff for them.

A lot of 3rd Party Pathfinder folks use both Paizo and DTRPG (which is what I'm going to do with my stuff). There's also D20 Pathfinder OGC, which maintains its own webstore as well. It has a smaller cut 20% in comparison to Paizo's 25%, compared to Drive-Thru's 30-35%).

Evil Mastermind posted:

I meant more in terms of "if you want the core PDFs for other games you can go anywhere, but if you want Pathfinder you have to go through Paizo."

But now I'm curious...

3601. (3.X/OGL is 6558.)

And that Pathfinder number climbs a little bit every few days. 1/3rd of Pathfinder products are relatively short booklets no more than a few bucks, as opposed to 64/100/400 page books.

On the one hand, it's good in that Pathfinder fans literally have more material than they'll ever need for years worth of games. Problem is, it's way too easy for products to slip through the cracks into obscurity.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 11, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm running a Nights Black Agents (spies/vampires using the Gumshoe game engine) in a week or so - are there any threads about it in TG?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Libertad! posted:

On the one hand, it's good in that Pathfinder fans literally have more material than they'll ever need for years worth of games. Problem is, it's way too easy for products to slip through the cracks into obscurity.

At least all that stuff is digital only, and won't be clogging up game stores for decades to come like 3.X stuff.

Still, I can't even begin to understand why there needs to be that much stuff for it apart from people going "I wanna be a game designer!" and not actually have to be game designers.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Effectronica posted:

Hopefully the updated rule system cuts or significantly alters Mage Armor

It just needs to have a real, serious cost associated with it. Like maybe you can reflexively trigger it when someone attacks you and decide to spend 1 mana per dot of armor you want up to your dots in the arcanum for that one attack.

Yeah, that's expensive as hell, but at 5 dots mage armor is by far the best armor you can get in the entire game and it should be that expensive. Especially since in most games mana isn't hard to get.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

I would. I grabbed the bundle and it's just going to waste right now.

Spincut posted:

I'm interested in all PbPs. But I also just got the bundle and need to read through it.

Alright, well, imma chug down this bundle. If by the end of it, I still feel like some Pendragon, I'll do another interest check/start up a recruitment thread.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Libertad! posted:

A lot of 3rd Party Pathfinder folks use both Paizo and DTRPG (which is what I'm going to do with my stuff). There's also D20 Pathfinder OGC, which maintains its own webstore as well. It has a smaller cut 20% in comparison to Paizo's 25%, compared to Drive-Thru's 30-35%).

How much of the third party poo poo is... worth a poo poo, I guess? My 3.5 experience sort of soured me on third party stuff, I have not actually looked at the PF offerings. Except Way of the WIcked, I guess, which seemed neat.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

At least all that stuff is digital only, and won't be clogging up game stores for decades to come like 3.X stuff.

Still, I can't even begin to understand why there needs to be that much stuff for it apart from people going "I wanna be a game designer!" and not actually have to be game designers.

I think a lot of it has to do with people going "I have some good ideas, and I can make some money doing it." That's what I did with my own Abstract Thief product, although I don't plan on sticking solely to Pathfinder as a game designer. Pathfinder's a relatively easy way to break into the industry, both because it has an already lively fanbase and because it doesn't require you to build your own system from scratch.

Unfortunately there's a lot of shovelware product which comes out weekly, of "13 New Sword-based feats!" worth $1.00 which some publishers keeping chugging out. This problem is compounded when you realize that this leaves no room for discussion, critique, and playtesting to stress test said products.

I'm very aware of the flaws in the D20 ruleset, and I don't plan on going down the shovelware route. I care about game balance between the classes, and I'd at least like my work to bridge the gap and give the players some cool tools for their character concepts.

A. a distinguished publisher
B. come up with some really unorthodox concepts to set yourself apart from all the cookie-cutter cliches. Good examples include Way of the Wicked and Path of War
C. fill your product with beautiful artwork and/or make a large setting book; there's only around 35 campaign settings out there, such a small figure in comparison to the 3000+
D. promise some "adult" content.

Edit:

Winson_Paine posted:

How much of the third party poo poo is... worth a poo poo, I guess? My 3.5 experience sort of soured me on third party stuff, I have not actually looked at the PF offerings. Except Way of the WIcked, I guess, which seemed neat.

I made a 3rd Party Pathfinder thread for good products on various sites for this very reason. Here's a few I'd recommend:

Cerulean Seas, reviewed by Fossilized Rappy in FATAL & Friends. Underwater campaign setting which manages to integrate fantasy and real-world sea stuff into the setting in a way I like. It did get some criticism on the thread, but there's quite a few cool things in the book, setting and flavor text wise. I'd highly recommend it for underwater-centric games.

Path of War and Ultimate Psionics, by Dreamscarred Press. Revamps of Tome of Battle and Psionics, with the Path of War containing original content. The company prides itself on game balance and giving nice things to martials, and are recognized as one of the top 3PP for this and other reasons.

Midgard Campaign Setting by Kobold Press. A setting derived from central European mythology. Has a lot of standard fantasy tropes, but departs from them in many areas for less-explored venues. The book for its planar cosmology, Dark Roads & Golden Hells, is excellent for being full of cool people and places which aren't cookie-cutter "good place, fire place, bad place. etc."

Tome of Horrors by Frog God Games. A giant bestiary of old-school monsters for a $30 value.

I heard good things about these ones, although I don't own them:

Colosseum Morpheuon: A high-level (16-20) adventure set in the realm of dreams. The best warriors from across the planes gather to fight in a tournament, and the PCs are expected to compete!

Zeitgeist Adventure Path: The PCs are government agents for the Crown of an industrial nation, weeding out threats to Queen and country. Has a Victorian England vibe, guns, a secret conspiracy of Illuminati-esque plotters, and restrictions on long-term magical flight (with in-setting reasons) to prevent spellcasters from flying out of melee reach and flinging down fireballs.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 11, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

100 Fighter Boner Feats, book it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
100 Feats/Feets Dad Jokes

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Kai Tave posted:

100 Feats/Feets Dad Jokes

I only really had the one good feats joke in me, now it is gone.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Apologies if I took some time, but I edited my previous post to include some good PF products.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

it beat feet

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

So what you're saying is there's an untapped market.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

100 Overpowered Feats Which Actually Grant Nice Things for Fighters

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

100 Bastinado Feats. Coming soon!

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
100 Dungeons. OH WAIT

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

sebmojo posted:

I'm running a Nights Black Agents (spies/vampires using the Gumshoe game engine) in a week or so - are there any threads about it in TG?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453937 This is the investigative gaming and Gumshoe thread. It is not especially active, but it exists.

Pelgrane Press also tends to put up a lot of stuff on their website - there's an online character generator along with some rules options and tweaks.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Reene posted:

It just needs to have a real, serious cost associated with it. Like maybe you can reflexively trigger it when someone attacks you and decide to spend 1 mana per dot of armor you want up to your dots in the arcanum for that one attack.

Yeah, that's expensive as hell, but at 5 dots mage armor is by far the best armor you can get in the entire game and it should be that expensive. Especially since in most games mana isn't hard to get.

I'm wondering if making it more like werewolf/vampire stuff would be better- downgrading lethal to bashing and agg to lethal. Of course this is an idle thought.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What is Blood & Smoke: The Strix Chronicle and why is it the bestseller of 2013?

Is it like an adventure 'path' except for NWoD?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

DalaranJ posted:

What is Blood & Smoke: The Strix Chronicle and why is it the bestseller of 2013?

Is it like an adventure 'path' except for NWoD?

It's a rules update for Vampire: the Requiem combined with an "adventure path"/campaign ideas. It's a thing that White Wolf's descendant is doing with all of their lines. The God-Machine Chronicle updated the corebook, the upcoming Idigam Chronicle will update Werewolf, and the Fallen World Chronicle will update Mage. They also released a quick update for Hunter this year too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's essentially Vampire: The Requiem, 2nd Edition. And it's really, really good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ratpick posted:

Does anyone have any actual play experiences of Golden Sky Stories? It's the game I'd most like to run at the moment, but knowing my group I'm not sure if it'd be their thing. We mostly play games involving wizards killing dragons and macho spacemen killing aliens, and even though most of the people in said group are huge fans of Miyazaki (I mean, who isn't?) I'm not sure they'd be up for a game of magical animal slice-of-life anime.

I will talk about GSS any day, any time.

I have played GSS with a total of two groups, one PbP here (completed! to this day it still shocks me) and one with my regular group.

The PbP went pretty dang well and was as heartwarming as intended. I suspect it was helped by the fact no one could look the other in the eye and note they were indeed playing a dumb puppy spirit.

In person, I had a player who had a really hard time getting into the spirit (yuk yuk) of things. A large part of your success will be determined by two things. One, how utterly serious you are about being completely ridiculous and corny, and two, how well you can get your players to peer pressure each other into being even more ridiculous. It's like a good game of Fiasco, only instead of trying to gently caress or murder each other, you're being helpful and friendly.

Are you the dude that runs fuckyeahdnd, by the by, or is this just coincidence?

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So DTRPG is doing a 10$ bundle for their anniversary: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/130835?affiliate_id=270525

I'm probably going to get it since I don't own Eclipse Phase yet and the price is stupid low, but how many of the others are generally worth reading besides Wraith?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mors Rattus posted:

It's essentially Vampire: The Requiem, 2nd Edition. And it's really, really good.

I haven't played any storyteller since the old WoD. I'm just confused that I recognized 95% of that top ten list but couldn't recognize the core rule book for what I assume is still the most popular WoD franchise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darksaber posted:

So DTRPG is doing a 10$ bundle for their anniversary: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/130835?affiliate_id=270525

I'm probably going to get it since I don't own Eclipse Phase yet and the price is stupid low, but how many of the others are generally worth reading besides Wraith?

Well, eclipse phase is part of the latest bundle of holding so it might be a better deal. Also, it is available for free legally.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, don't buy Eclipse Phase unless you're doing it specifically because you want to give money to the devs. If you just want to play it you can get it for free, no sweat.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I've read it before but I enjoyed it enough to buy it. That bag of holding looks right up my alley though, thanks!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winson_Paine posted:

People calling me Winston bugs me

Why do you think we do it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Error 404 posted: