Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobo the Red posted:

I wonder what Ned would have done if he'd been around to see Robb go back on his word like he did.

Decent feels like a stretch, though. Decent doesn't decapitate young, terrified fools.

It does if that's the law of the land upheld by millenia of the tradition that the Lord of the land delivers the killing blow personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Personally I held on to both for way too long, hoping against hope. :smith:

GoT is the poo poo though, more giant archers please.

I wonder if GoT will not in some small way change tv writing. With all the death that goes on in it, seems like audiences are getting used to the fact that even good characters die, and it's not the end of the world. Then again this could start a really bad trend of killing characters for the sake of killing them.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

whowhatwhere posted:

It does if that's the law of the land upheld by millenia of the tradition that the Lord of the land delivers the killing blow personally.

Eh, I guess. I was thinking 'decent' in the sense of kind or good, which Ned certainly is not.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Snowy posted:

I miss "no book talk". Or am I just in the "all book talk" thread by mistake?

No one is talking about the books. The Jon Snuuuuh poo poo is never mentioned in the books.

THIS IS NOT BOOK TALK.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Boogoose posted:

I for one think that a battle on tv that follows the rules of **tactical plausibility** would be fantastic. You could start with Agincourt:

EXT. DAY. AGINCOURT. The English longbowmen who have been built up as the elite of the elite since episode 04 BATTLE OF CRECY are preparing their defensive positions, whilst making GBS threads themselves. The effects of dysentry and the forced march away from French troops mean that many of them have forgone the wearing of hose while hammering stakes and sticking arrows into the shitbemired stretch between two wooded areas. They do not exchange witty rejoiners that reveal some of the details of why they are fighting, past event, or possible foreshadowing. Their conversation is limited to such subjects as the fact they have not had a decent meal two weeks, that they'd rather be back home, and holy jesus my life is running down my legs in a thin brown stream.

HENRY V rides up in the distance, accompanied by his loyal retainers, some of whom are making GBS threads themselves. The archers turn to hear a vague speech of platitudes in a courtly language that none of the common soldiers understand. There is some cheering, because that is expected of them.

LATER

The FRENCH KNIGHTS have become hopelessly engulfed in mud and poo poo. Under the eye of their liege lord, they struggle onwards, their horses shot out from underneath them. Those that get past the English men-at-arms are clubbed to death by half-naked archers, armed with whatever crude weapon comes to hand. At one point, it looks like the battle might be lost, so HENRY V heroically orders to have the French prisoners' throats cut.

So, basically Ironborn v. Boltons.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

Eh, I guess. I was thinking 'decent' in the sense of kind or good, which Ned certainly is not.

WTF. He was kind and good compared to the rest of the shitlords inhabiting Westeros :psyduck:

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Bobo the Red posted:

I always took Ned to be one of, if not the, most decent guys in the story. I mean, you can argue that he wasn't decent or kind or good for decapitating a deserter, but an argument could be made that he did the decent thing by carrying out the punishment handed down himself instead of putting that guilt on someone else.

Was he supposed to just let the deserter go or something? Or maybe I'm forgetting other examples of him being an unkind type of dude.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
It's less that Ned is bad than the institutions that Ned is enmeshed in are bad. He does he duty with nobility and grace executing a deserter, but the dead man could hardly be blamed for being so frightened and his early warning goes mostly unheeded. Bran and Jon are picking up that pieces of that mess now. In trying to do the right thing, Ned becomes inflexible; figuratively bound by his honor. Pure intentions manipulated into a noose around his neck, and maybe around Westeros too.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Nearly 30 pages go by before I'm caught up to the thread.

I share a lot of the same opinions as most of you with regards to liking this episode. In fact, I liked this episode a lot. I would have of course loved to see what happens with Tyrion and the other storylines, but for a show like GOT to spend an entire episode on one thing is a rare treat. Once the season is over and you're able to marathon a few episodes at a time, I'm sure most of you naysayers (and people new to the show) will not hate on it as much since you can quickly start the next episode.

Regarding the speculation chat It's a really good point that Ned Stark, someone who's constantly being paraded around as the most honorable man in Westeros, would unlikely have cheated on Catelyn soon after they were married. He married her (my guess) for two reasons: 1) she was betrothed to his older brother and lots of Earth societies have had that tradition upheld, from Asian and South Asian societies to Western European marrying your brother's "widow". However, I personally had not QUITE put that together, however, the "hush hush" when Jon inquires about his mother, makes it clear that his mother isn't just "some whore Ned hosed when he was horned up on wine and ale" but rather someone significant. I personally had been speculating that Jon is the product of Robert and Lyanna and because of "honor and duty and this and that" he claims Jon as his bastard after the death of Lyanna so Robert would not have the shame of a bastard son when he marries Cersei. He says flat out that Jon is his blood. And since we can assume Ned's not a liar, who but his sister could be the mother?

I'll stop there because, while this was fun, I doubt we get that question resolved until next season on the early side.

The only two things that made me roll my eyes during the show:

1. It was entirely unnecessary to have a wide shot that showed the Wildling camp as they waited for the signal and Gilly sneaking off above the hill. For someone terrified of being seen, you'd think she'd have made drat well sure no one LOOKING UP would discover her escaping.

2. While I found the scene Ygrette dies to be touching (neither of them were going to kill the other, and I knew one of them was about to bite it), when Jon holds her as she dies and no one runs over to cut his head off, I had a bit of a "oh ok... sure" moment because TV and Hollywood cliches, and so on. However, when she says they should have stayed in the cave and Jon replies that they still may yet do so, I definitely laughed when her dying reaction was essentially "shut up, you stupid, handsome idiot." ("You know nothing, Jon Sn...")

I loved it. I am excited for the finale since it's likely to be a more eventful one than seasons past, but I also know that I will be upset that I'll have to wait nearly another YEAR before it continues. Sometimes I wish HBO would employ the AMC and FX standard of splitting seasons in half. While that's also frustrating, it's a lot easier waiting 4-5 months between half seasons than it is waiting a goddamn year when we only get 10 episodes. Hell, they could probably stretch the seasons to 12-14 and have 6-7 in each half season. I'd be into that! Although I know it's probably not as easy for a show like this as I'm sure they film the entire season in one go.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 11, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

She was awesome and perfect for Jon, and now he's gonna get stuck in a political marriage when we find out

Jon's not going to get stuck in a political marriage because he's a member of the Night's Watch who aren't supposed to get married, and if he quit the NW because reasons then he'd be betraying his oath and a lot of people aren't going to look kindly on an oathbreaker - look at Jamie who is still labeled "kingslayer" 20 years later even though everyone agreed that the king in question was crazy. Plus he's an illegitimized bastard anyway like Ramsay was until last week.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Snowy posted:

I miss "no book talk". Or am I just in the "all book talk" thread by mistake?

No poo poo

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

monster on a stick posted:

Jon's not going to get stuck in a political marriage because he's a member of the Night's Watch who aren't supposed to get married, and if he quit the NW because reasons then he'd be betraying his oath and a lot of people aren't going to look kindly on an oathbreaker - look at Jamie who is still labeled "kingslayer" 20 years later even though everyone agreed that the king in question was crazy. Plus he's an illegitimized bastard anyway like Ramsay was until last week.

Well, I think it's fair to assume the current saga we are witnessing is going to be a game changer. I'm not saying the Nights Watch will be disbanded entirely, but perhaps the rules will be rewritten, or extenuating circumstances of Jon (perhaps? speculation..) having one of the best claims (beyond Dany) to the throne could warrant an exception to the rules should they stay as written.

Edit:

Also, I think the rules regarding illegitimacy from the standpoint of a bastard and his father are a bit fuzzy here. If a bastard's father was alive and dying, it would make sense that the dying Nobleman would need to officially accept the son to his house and give him title, which solves that problem. In this case, the throne is being occupied by fraud since the current King is not an actual heir of Robert, but instead the product of deception by the Queen Regent. As a result, this is another form of Rebellion in which case whoever wins can decide who the rightful heir is.

Shadow fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 11, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BubbleGoose posted:

I wonder if GoT will not in some small way change tv writing. With all the death that goes on in it, seems like audiences are getting used to the fact that even good characters die, and it's not the end of the world. Then again this could start a really bad trend of killing characters for the sake of killing them.

Yeah, I can't imagine we won't have some people taking inspiration from the series. Network meddling might get in the way of going full "EVERYTHING IS AWFUL"

Hannibal has certainly been playing around with no one being safe, but it often veers away at the last moment. Next season is going to be the decider on just how thin plot armor is there.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I don't care about GOT spoilers because I've already had pretty much everything that has happened so far in the books spoiled for me. However, for those that have not yet been spoiled, just wanted to point out that this pathetic loser PM'd me a spoiler out of the blue (presumably about what will happen next episode). Unknown motives, probably butthurt that I've been trashing GRRM as a writer or something :shrug:

Just warning in case he does it to anyone else who might actually get pissed over it. Don't open or read the subject of PMs from this "MrBims" character.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

justcola posted:

Would it be so bad if the wild things got through the wall? they'd probably fight all of the nob heads and make the country a more righteous place.

That's kind of my theory on where Jon's story might go. When you think about it, the wildlings have more in common, politically, with the Northmen than they don't. They're both rugged survivalists who resent foreign authority.

When Robb was appointed King in the North, it was basically the same argument behind Mance becoming King Beyond the Wall: the Northmen were furious over oppression from King's Landing and decided they'd rather self-govern under someone they trust. It's not just that they hated Joffrey for killing Ned...they could've backed Stannis were that the case; instead, they backed Robb because he shared their values. I don't see why a similar deal couldn't occur with the wildlings, now that the Baratheon and Lannister controlling interests in King's Landing are unravelling rapidly.

Not that I see this happening soon (and the books could easily contradict this), but I could see a scenario where both sides' common enemies - the White Walkers in the North and the other Royal Houses to the South - create an incentive to join forces. Especially with respect to the speculation that Jon has King's blood, either Baratheon or Targaryan. He'd be a good figurehead for this kind of thing.

Edit:

On the topic of Ned's Bastardly Secret, for whatever reason I've been assuming Jon was Rhaegar's kid, not Robert's. Robert fathered tons of bastards over the years, and it clearly wasn't a well-kept secret. And it's not like nobles fathering bastards upsets the given order...it happens all the time, they're just barred from inheritances to stay out of legitimate lines of succession. I mean, until something crazy happens, like Joffrey and Tommen being illegitimate. But prior to that revelation, I don't see the extreme urgency to never tell Jon the truth.

Conversely, if Jon's the last surviving male descendant of Aerys II, that's a way bigger deal. If someone found that out, Jon would've been killed then and there. There's a way clearer political motivation for Ned to claim Jon as his own and never betray the truth.
Spoilered because for some reason we're doing that; I second that this isn't actual book chat because we're nerds speculating based on nothing.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 11, 2014

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

No More Heroes posted:

WTF. He was kind and good compared to the rest of the shitlords inhabiting Westeros :psyduck:

Johnny Bravo posted:

I always took Ned to be one of, if not the, most decent guys in the story. I mean, you can argue that he wasn't decent or kind or good for decapitating a deserter, but an argument could be made that he did the decent thing by carrying out the punishment handed down himself instead of putting that guilt on someone else.

Was he supposed to just let the deserter go or something? Or maybe I'm forgetting other examples of him being an unkind type of dude.

What good things did he do? Being willing to do the wetwork for laws that are lovely doesn't count. I guess he didn't treat Theon too badly?

Ned was decent, in that he kept to the laws. But he was not good or kind. He did not allow people to make mistakes, and he did not forgive.
Ned was basically incapable of mercy. That kid was as old as his dipshit sons. We got to see just how loving clueless they are, and that kid, as far as we know, didn't even have the advantage of noble upbringing. Yes, Ned was legally required to kill that kid. He could, however, just not have done it. Mormont was technically supposed to kill Jon for leaving. Did he? No, because he is capable of mercy and understanding that people make mistakes. And the reasons that kid ran more than justify the fact hat he kept going longer than Jon did. He literally just saw something out of nightmares.

He kept Theon prisoner because that was the 'right' thing. The 'good' thing would be to not keep a kid away from his family for a decade.
He killed his daughter's wolf because it was the 'right' thing to do, even though it was pointless and cruel. Revealing the results of his investigation in King's Landing was destined to end in misery and death for Cersei and her kids. Cersei deserved it (though Ned hardly knew that). Did her kids? And to what gain? His friend was dead. It was just about what was "right", not about what was good or merciful.

Hell, he hated Jaime for killing the loving king that murdered his father and brother, and that he was openly rebelling against (ie oath-breaking, the same issue he supposedly has with Jaime). It's funny, because he definitely SHOULD hate Jaime, but he didn't know about that poo poo.

Dude was rigid as gently caress.

People who have been shown as kinder than Ned: Tyrion, Davos, Margaery, the Hound, kinda sorta Barristan and Jorah, maybe Brienne. Half the non-villain cast, all with lesser positions than he had, and amusingly, not one of them is a Stark. Hell, Jaime has had more moments of actually giving than Ned ever did (though he is of course, still a villain until he stabs Cersei with his other other sword)

monster on a stick posted:

If illegitimate bastards were of no concern, Gendry and the others wouldn't be an issue. There is definitely cause to think Jon Snow has a shot at the throne. And if the choice is between breaking his oath, and having Westeros fall apart versus the whitewalkers, his very oath may make him do it (just as it made him kill the Halfhand).

Xealot posted:

Edit:

On the topic of Ned's Bastardly Secret, for whatever reason I've been assuming Jon was Rhaegar's kid, not Robert's. Robert fathered tons of bastards over the years, and it clearly wasn't a well-kept secret. And it's not like nobles fathering bastards upsets the given order...it happens all the time, they're just barred from inheritances to stay out of legitimate lines of succession. I mean, until something crazy happens, like Joffrey and Tommen being illegitimate. But prior to that revelation, I don't see the extreme urgency to never tell Jon the truth.

Conversely, if Jon's the last surviving male descendant of Aerys II, that's a way bigger deal. If someone found that out, Jon would've been killed then and there. There's a way clearer political motivation for Ned to claim Jon as his own and never betray the truth.
Spoilered because for some reason we're doing that; I second that this isn't actual book chat because we're nerds speculating based on nothing.

The thing is, we are talking about Ned. Captain Keeps-his-word. Maybe Lyanna asked him to promise not to tell regardless; maybe she didn't know. Maybe he promised to keep him safe, and being a Stark bastard is safer than being a royal one (or a legit Stark, for that matter).

Jon Snow being a Targaryen is more dramatic. Which is why it's way more fun if he isn't. He also looks way more like a Baratheon; remember all that 'black of hair' poo poo?

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 11, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bobo the Red posted:

Revealing the results of his investigation in King's Landing was destined to end in misery and death for Cersei and her kids. Cersei deserved it (though Ned hardly knew that). Did her kids? And to what gain? His friend was dead. It was just about what was "right", not about what was good or merciful.
He tells Cersei entirely out of (misguided) mercy though; he didn't have to tell her first, and he was trying to stop things escalating.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Bobo the Red posted:

on Snow being a Targaryen is more dramatic. Which is why it's way more fun if he isn't. He also looks way more like a Baratheon; remember all that 'black of hair' poo poo?

Didn't Benjen have black hair?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

RE: all this dumb speculation.

If yes, why did Cat hate Jon so much?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

DoctorStrangelove posted:

because Ned didn't tell anyone including her

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Because she probably wasn't told, sweet summer child.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Shadow posted:

1. It was entirely unnecessary to have a wide shot that showed the Wildling camp as they waited for the signal and Gilly sneaking off above the hill. For someone terrified of being seen, you'd think she'd have made drat well sure no one LOOKING UP would discover her escaping.

The way that scene was lit was kind of weird because it needed to make it so that the viewers could see Gilly and the camp at the same time. I think the assumption is that, though we could see Gilly, in actuality it was far too dark for anyone down at the camp to see her. Also, they were all around a campfire which would have made it even more difficult to see anything in the dark.

Xealot posted:

That's kind of my theory on where Jon's story might go. When you think about it, the wildlings have more in common, politically, with the Northmen than they don't. They're both rugged survivalists who resent foreign authority.

When Robb was appointed King in the North, it was basically the same argument behind Mance becoming King Beyond the Wall: the Northmen were furious over oppression from King's Landing and decided they'd rather self-govern under someone they trust. It's not just that they hated Joffrey for killing Ned...they could've backed Stannis were that the case; instead, they backed Robb because he shared their values. I don't see why a similar deal couldn't occur with the wildlings, now that the Baratheon and Lannister controlling interests in King's Landing are unravelling rapidly.

Yeah only the wildlings eat people which is pretty hard to look past.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

PantsBandit posted:

The way that scene was lit was kind of weird because it needed to make it so that the viewers could see Gilly and the camp at the same time. I think the assumption is that, though we could see Gilly, in actuality it was far too dark for anyone down at the camp to see her. Also, they were all around a campfire which would have made it even more difficult to see anything in the dark.
I'll accept that, but it seemed a bit "campy" to use a pun-derived descriptor.

It simply wasn't necessary. Although I would just like to reiterate that this and the "sick dolly shot" (kudos for the goon that posted that term as it perfectly describes it) with Ygrette's death scene were my only main issues with the episode. Otherwise, I enjoyed it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Guys Benjen Stark had black hair and an affinity for Jon Snuh :tinfoil:

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

No More Heroes posted:

Guys Benjen Stark had black hair and an affinity for Jon Snuh :tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd4eo_NUh5w

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

He will emerge from the woods with a tale of slicing open a yeti and crawling inside to survive and then broker a peace deal between the free folk and the nights watch.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
300 miles of wall. Wildlings could start climbing at various points and send ravens to the night's watch for shits and giggles and be at the top of the wall before the night's watch dudes could run across the wall to stop them. Sending 10 dudes to climb up the wall at the single most defended place in front of your army after you light the forest on fire as a warning sign was just dumb. Probing or not, scythe or not, anyone with two brain cells would not send ice climbers to climb up to where they are free kills for the dudes waiting at the top. Please, climb your eye into my sword!

You think Gilly might have mentioned that there's some dudes camped just down the hill as well.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It still bothers me that they just have so many Night's Watch dying between Ygritte, Tormund and Thenn guy, plus other wildings that by the end of the episode there must be like 10 dudes left.

Also no one using a shield. I can accept wildlings not having one, but the Night's Watch is like several thousand years old but they never used shields?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nobody in this show uses shields, so why would that matter?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's because shieldless fighting on TV looks more stylish and exciting. The characters move around more.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Lycus posted:

It's because shieldless fighting on TV looks more stylish and exciting. The characters move around more.

Beric and the hound both had shields in their duel and it looked fantastic. :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Tyrion cut some dude's head off with a shield didn't he?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Doltos posted:

The lovely thing about living in Westeros is that, by the odds, we'd probably all be destitute peasants in the Riverlands than a noble in a prestigious House.

Look on the bright side, you're an 8 out of 8.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

You guys are forgetting the thing that most doesn't make sense, the fact that their leader was in the nights watch and therefore should know all this poo poo already.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

whowhatwhere posted:

Other than Dolorous Edd and maybe Aemon who up at the Wall is worth liking?

Despite the fact that he knows nothing I do like Jon
And as frustrating as his plot armour is I like Sam too
Even though he gave a nice speech and did kick some rear end I still wanted Thorne to eat it - when he get injured at the end there I thought "still serves you right for being too proud to listen to reason".

poo poo forgot about that scene - so this season when he borrowed from the Iron Bank to fight the Lannisters he was actually doing it to take his army north?

a cop posted:

Highlight of the ep is definitely Ghost killing one single guy and then proceeding to just chow down on his corpse for the remainder of the fight.

Dawg gotta eat

The best

Also best

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
via the spoiler thread: another best:

canepazzo posted:

No, but when looking for it I found this.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Several of the Nights Watch extras who died were carrying shields. I'd guess they don't normally carry them on their treks beyond the wall since they mostly use bows on top of their swords?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Also no one using a shield. I can accept wildlings not having one, but the Night's Watch is like several thousand years old but they never used shields?

There were absolutely some Night's Watch mooks using shields in this episode. I remember at least a couple cowering behind them while getting mauled by the wildling characters, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more around in the dark and indistinguishable chaos.

One thing that did bug me a tiny bit though was the wildling special ops being parked so close to Castle Black with a big ol' fire going, as if anybody standing watch on top of the wall couldn't turn around and immediately spot it.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014

Vargs posted:

One thing that did bug me a tiny bit though was the wildling special ops being parked so close to Castle Black with a big ol' fire going, as if anybody standing watch on top of the wall couldn't turn around and immediately spot it.

The Watch probably knew they were there, but being so short-handed it wouldn't have been a good idea to send people out to get slaughtered piecemeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Vargs posted:

There were absolutely some Night's Watch mooks using shields in this episode. I remember at least a couple cowering behind them while getting mauled by the wildling characters, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more around in the dark and indistinguishable chaos.

Jon kicked a dude using a shield down some stairs.

• Locked thread