Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would most apartments consider it a violation of the lease terms or the relevant fire safety crap for a resident to have and/or use an electric vertical smoker, provided one uses it outside on his/her balcony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How long have you lived there, how often have you been late on the rent, have you been at conflict with the management on any other issues?

How hot does it get?

Does your balcony face a public area/the area where the office is?

When it's running, how far away can you smell it from?

Will it inconvenience other tenants?

Would a smoked chicken every once in a while mitigate that inconvenience?

My gut feel is "should be okay". As you can tell from the list of questions, they all have "right" answers and "wrong" answers, and the more "wrong" answers you have, the less the chances it will fly.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Read your lease. Most of them have restrictions on what you can and cannot have on your balcony and within a certain distance of the building.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I can't imagine it being much of a problem for anybody else in the building. There's plenty of room on the balcony to use it, and an electric smoker doesn't present the fire hazard you get with gas or charcoal grills.

The only people who MIGHT get annoyed by it would be the people living directly above, and that's only if they're outside on their respective balconies, which they probably won't be and almost never are anyway.

Really I think I'd just need to double-check with the leasing office and make sure it's cool with them first.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Maybe it's different in New York, but it seems like a classic "if you have to ask, the answer is no." If you really want to do it, I would go for it as discreetly as possible (don't make clouds of smoke, don't leave it out there 24/7), and be as baffled and charming as possible if you get caught. I would also be prepared to sell it on craigslist or to a friend with a yard.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
And whatever you do, DON'T ASK FIRST, they will never allow it. Just start smoking, and if nobody's bothered, nobody will care.

Are there BBQ grills on other patios, or is there a BBQ grill mentioned in your lease?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

If I was you upstairs neighbor I wouldn't be too thrilled about not being able to open my windows without smoke drifting inside and setting off my smoke alarms. I'd at least talk to the neighbors it'd most affect and offer a peace offering of some smoked meats.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I'm moving in with my boyfriend in August and I'll be moving from Illinois, where I've lived my entire life, to Indiana. It's not a super far move since I'm in Chicagoland area and I'm moving to NW Indiana, which is still considered Chicagoland area. But since I'm still switching states I know I need to change like everything. For anyone else who has had to do the state change, what would I need to change? I know the obvious like my drivers license and plates (which need to be renewed by the end of the month so if anyone knows if I can renew my plates and switch to IN without wasting $99 for a month of coverage that'd be awesome) but that's about all I know and I don't want to get in trouble down the line.

Also, any tips on surviving living together for the first time. I'm living on my own now, he'll be leaving from his parents so we've already addressed the issue of expectations on helping with chores and such and just communicating when one feels the other is slacking. He helps out a bit when he comes to visit me at my place and well spend like a weekend together but that's not the same as living together. We've already discussed budgeting and how much we intend on contributing to bills, we've got it planned that we each contribute a set amount each month to the joint account then bills, rent, groceries can be paid from that. Individual bills are the individual's problem, I'm not paying his xbox live bill and he won't pay for my nails. If that plan just won't work or one of us loses our jobs it can be changed, but we did the math aiming high on things like electric, cable (if we even get that), and Internet cause having extra money is never a bad thing. I wouldn't have even dreamed of living together if we didn't seriously discuss budget and who's paying what/how and all that. I prefer 50/50 just to avoid any fights that could occur, or if it goes bad and we split then there's no trying to figure out how much of the account is yours or his it's just divide by 2 and peace out. I know communication is key and thankfully that has never really been an issue with us. Neither of us are slobs, he's a bit more neurotic on things than I am (which is incredibly helpful since I can be forgetful), we can both cook, and we don't have screaming matches when we argue so I'm feeling pretty positive about the whole thing!

Thanks for any goons!

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 9, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

:siren:Only have one of you sign the lease and put the other down as "resident" so if things go south there's no question of who has to move out :siren:

As for state changing, it's pretty much just your car and voter registration which can all be done in the same trip as the DMV. They will likely take your old license and shred it so you can't sell it to someone as a fake ID.

Edit:
When you start living together for the first time you get to discover all of your SO's annoying little personal habits and minor differences of opinions on things that you probably wouldn't notice just visiting. For instance my husband and I cannot agree on the proper way to fold and store socks which is absolutely not a thing that would have come up before we lived together. He also leaves half finished drinks everywhere. It's that sort of stuff you either get used to or decide you can't deal with.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CeramicPig posted:

I'm moving in with my boyfriend in August and I'll be moving from Illinois, where I've lived my entire life, to Indiana. It's not a super far move since I'm in Chicagoland area and I'm moving to NW Indiana, which is still considered Chicagoland area. But since I'm still switching states I know I need to change like everything. For anyone else who has had to do the state change, what would I need to change? I know the obvious like my drivers license and plates (which need to be renewed by the end of the month so if anyone knows if I can renew my plates and switch to IN without wasting $99 for a month of coverage that'd be awesome) but that's about all I know and I don't want to get in trouble down the line.

With drivers license, plates and voter registration change (if you care) you should be good. Do you already have the new place set up? I think if you do, you should be able to just get Indiana plates now which will start your registration anew. I might be wrong on that though.

Just curious, where are you moving to? I did the reverse move some years ago, moving from Northwest Indiana to the Chicago area.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you "lose" your old drivers license, they will issue you a new one in the new state, and if you later "find" your old drivers license, it makes a nice keepsake.

As noted, if you bring in your old license, they will typically destroy it.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

CeramicPig posted:

Ask your local DMV about the plates. I drove my car from California to Kansas, my plates expired, and they would not let me register my car in KS without it having legal California plates first. California requires smog checks intermittently, so that may have been the issue (it was 5+ years ago, details are fuzzy).

photomikey posted:

If you "lose" your old drivers license, they will issue you a new one in the new state, and if you later "find" your old drivers license, it makes a nice keepsake.

As noted, if you bring in your old license, they will typically destroy it.
Oregon just hole punches the current license through the expiration date & hands it back to you :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ladyweapon posted:

Ask your local DMV about the plates. I drove my car from California to Kansas, my plates expired, and they would not let me register my car in KS without it having legal California plates first. California requires smog checks intermittently, so that may have been the issue (it was 5+ years ago, details are fuzzy).

Kansas to Ohio. Ohio requires a title. Kansas has a digital title thing, and getting them to send that is like pulling teeth. I had to go through three temporary tags ($20 a piece) to get mine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

:siren:Only have one of you sign the lease and put the other down as "resident" so if things go south there's no question of who has to move out :siren:
I straight-up disagree with this; everyone being there should be on the lease, so everyone shares equal responsibility for the place.

Additionally, the person who moves out is the one who does the breaking up, all else being equal.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

With drivers license, plates and voter registration change (if you care) you should be good. Do you already have the new place set up? I think if you do, you should be able to just get Indiana plates now which will start your registration anew. I might be wrong on that though.

Just curious, where are you moving to? I did the reverse move some years ago, moving from Northwest Indiana to the Chicago area.

From Oak Lawn to Highland!

Were not moving in until August but I already know the address I'll have, the apartment complex supplied me with that, could I take that to the DMV and get my plates registered there a month early? Cause that would be pretty baller if I could.
I'm not worried about keeping or losing my license, so long as I can prove who I am I don't care.
Will I need to switch the address on my passport or keep it as is? (That might be a dumb question and I doubt I'm going out of the country soon, but just to be sure)

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

CeramicPig posted:

From Oak Lawn to Highland!

Really the only thing you need to know is that Indiana is very dumb and calls it the "BMV" not the "DMV". Bureau, rather than department. It's a pretty chill state to live in, though. Cheap as hell, and still gets all the good Chicago/Michigan beers.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the first time my boyfriend said BMV I corrected him about 4 times til he pointed that out.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

IIRC (my passport's packed away in a box or I'd check) passports don't have your address on them, just your name.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

IIRC (my passport's packed away in a box or I'd check) passports don't have your address on them, just your name.

That's correct. They just have a spot where you can write in your address in pencil.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I need some giant thing to put on the wall behind my couch. Is there any way I can get a huge canvas painting or something for less than $100? I've already spent $4000 on furnishing my apartment so I feel bad cheaping out now but I ran out of money.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The canvas alone would cost more than that. Ikea has huge prints, but still pricier, I think. Break out the painters' tape and do a full-wall pattern like a chevron or something. It'll take less than a bucket of paint and a weekend.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big piece of masonite and some paint/fabric usually does the trick.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Go to a thrift store. I've bought several huge paintings from thrift shops in the past for dirt cheap (like $10). Goodwill usually won't have any, but if you have a mom and pop store, or maybe a humane society thrift shop, they probably will.

If they don't have paintings, I can guarantee they'll at least have some framed posters and such.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why in the hell is this thing so expensive?

Eames Lounge

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It's a licensed Eames design made by Hermann Miller :ms:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why does that matter? I could understand 1, 2 or even 3k but 5? That's obscene.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

That's one of the most famous chairs in existence designed by one of the most famous industrial designers ever and there are very, very few places licensed to produce them so quantities are limited. All those factors go into producing a very expensive chair. Plus bent plywood isn't exactly a quick and easy thing to make.

Have you ever sat in one? It's a drat comfy-rear end chair.

Edit:
Sometimes you can come across Eames stuff at second hand stores and yard sales being sold by people who have no idea what they've got.

Someday I'll have an Eames chair, for now all I've got is an Eames Elephant and a Hang-It-All because those are all I can afford :(

Problem! fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 13, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ekornes is comfier.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 13, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tab8715 posted:

Why does that matter? I could understand 1, 2 or even 3k but 5? That's obscene.

It's basically designer-grade furniture. It's the same reason you might say 'Why is this bag so expensive' or 'Why do these shoes cost so much?' They are probably good quality products, but you are also paying for the name and branding and all the associations of that object. If you don't give a poo poo who Eames is and just want a comfy chair to sit in, then you're not really the target demographic for it and should feel free to buy a cheaper chair with no qualms.

Really, as far as designer poo poo goes, a $5000 lounger is not that outlandish. If you go somewhere like Sears and pick a lounger set off the floor it could easily be $1000, and something like the Eames lounger will reliably last you a decade or more of real use. So it's a far cry from $10,000 handbags and $2,000 shoes which are 50-100 times the price of non-designer versions and aren't going to hold your rear end for twenty years.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Ashcans posted:

It's basically designer-grade furniture.

This.

I have one of these guys and to an average person it'd be "what the hell why would you pay $300+ for a plastic elephant" but I'm an industrial designer so it actually means something to me to have an Eames piece. When I brought it in to the design school when I was in college it basically got the same reaction that fashionistas have to a nice Gucci or Prada bag.

Also this chair is really uncomfortable but it's still over $5000 because it was designed by a famous architect.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Last move the movers whined I didn't help load the truck.

Yeah, no kidding. gently caress those guys.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Duck and Cover posted:

Ekornes is comfier.

Not only that, but they finally came out with a new design with a base that's not as ugly as their old ones.
http://www.furniturenews.net/products/articles/2013/12/1728596556-stressless-metro-ekornes

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

Not only that, but they finally came out with a new design with a base that's not as ugly as their old ones.
http://www.furniturenews.net/products/articles/2013/12/1728596556-stressless-metro-ekornes

Fuckers I have a Voyager.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Duck and Cover posted:

Fuckers I have a Voyager.

Yeah, I'm sorry, but this part just looks goofy as hell to me. My mom has Stressless chairs she bought in 1988 that have a much nicer looking base, I'm glad they came out with something different. (Incidentally those chairs look brand new with perfect leather and padding, despite having been sat in every single day for the last 26 years. It makes the price tag a little more bearable knowing they are that durable.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Costello Jello fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 14, 2014

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Oh I'm well aware that it's ugly (and the voyager is especially ugly) I picked it because it was tall enough to completely reach my head. Now though? No excuse Eames buyers, no loving excuse.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 14, 2014

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

This.

I have one of these guys and to an average person it'd be "what the hell why would you pay $300+ for a plastic elephant" but I'm an industrial designer so it actually means something to me to have an Eames piece. When I brought it in to the design school when I was in college it basically got the same reaction that fashionistas have to a nice Gucci or Prada bag.

Also this chair is really uncomfortable but it's still over $5000 because it was designed by a famous architect.

I wanted a Vistoe system by Dieter Rams, but ended up building a Container Store system for a third of the price. C'est la vie.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I moved into a new apartment four days ago and started itching, from not too bad on the first day increasing to full-on "what the hell is going" on today. My roommate is completely fine, so I'm thinking it's one of the following:

1. The brand new carpet or newly painted walls have chemicals that are irritating my skin.
2. I confirmed with the leasing office that the former tenants had a dog which may have left tiny little dog particles that are irritating my previously unknown dog allergy.
3. The couch and chairs a friend gave me during the move-in have something on them that's irritating my skin.
4. It's completely psychosomatic and I'm going crazy in the coconut.

Today I bought and started taking two 25mg Benadryl pills every four hours, made an appointment with my doctor, am staying the hell away from the new furniture, and vacuumed the whole apartment and am airing it out right now. Any other ideas on what else I can do to put an end to this itchy misery?

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I've got a quick question about termination of a lease due to loss of employment. My company is going bankrupt and laying us off this week, I don't think I'll be able to afford to live here another month if I don't get paid so I'm planning on leaving by the end of this month and moving back home. However there is still the month of July left from the lease.

I talked to the landlord and he told me that I would forfeit my security deposit (1 months rent, $1100) and I would have to pay the remainder of the 30 day notice from today (June 16th-July 15th) which would be about $550. I'm curious about the validity of this and whether or not I might be able to avoid having to not only forfeit my security deposit but pay for half a month that I will already be gone by (I plan on being completely out of here by June 30th).

If anybody could give me advice or let me know if this is legally okay, and the steps I should do to protect myself otherwise that would be great. I'm not looking to screw over anybody, I just want to be able to afford enough gas to get myself 3000 miles away back to my hometown.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Read your lease terms & contact your local tenants rights/housing authority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

ladyweapon posted:

Read your lease terms & contact your local tenants rights/housing authority.

I've read through the lease terms, can't find anything about my situation except the 30 day notice to vacate. I'll give the local tenants rights/housing authority a call though. This is in California for reference. I can scan my lease if anybody could help me make sense of this drat thing.