Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

heavier poo poo coming! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtrtl_VWlUA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Cool! Devin has the same headphones as me.

Sounds like it was in the same vein as Epicloud, which is always a good thing.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Check this out. The high note at the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtrtl_VWlUA

Ohhhh man this is going to be loving unreal.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Going to be so awesome. Goddamn.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Devy seems a bit nervous & worse for wear while recording, I hope he gets this done before he has another meltdown :ohdear:

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Willeh posted:

Devy seems a bit nervous & worse for wear while recording, I hope he gets this done before he has another meltdown :ohdear:

The last time he had one we got City and Ocean Machine but here's hoping that he doesn't have another one. I get the feeling that he was just jetlagged from the Finland gig in that recording.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Willeh posted:

Follow him on twitter. He's posting that he's very tired, strung out, under pressure etc. He hinted that after Z2 he's going on a long vacation.

I have a hunch that soon after realizing how amazing it is to crowd-fund his projects and how humbled he was by the 500%+ he got, he's now feeling obligated and under pressure to deliver.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 1, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
New music video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5b7oMdmZm4

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
He's also announced a London date for a Casualties show. I think it would be quite special, with a hell of an atmosphere. None of my friends are likely to be interested, but I will go for sure.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
Wow, I can't believe I managed to not hear about this guy for this long. It's funny, I've been watching and enjoying videos of Devin since reading this thread last night, and just now saw the video for "Life", and it suddenly triggered memories of seeing that video on MTV in my tiny apartment in the 90s. I remembered really liking it and looking for Ocean Machine at the local Hastings and not finding it. I've missed out on close to 20 years of being a Devin Townsend fan.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Wow, I can't believe I managed to not hear about this guy for this long. It's funny, I've been watching and enjoying videos of Devin since reading this thread last night, and just now saw the video for "Life", and it suddenly triggered memories of seeing that video on MTV in my tiny apartment in the 90s. I remembered really liking it and looking for Ocean Machine at the local Hastings and not finding it. I've missed out on close to 20 years of being a Devin Townsend fan.

It's never too late to get on the wagon. Find Ocean Machine and Ziltoid, and you'll have a drat good starting place.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I would have said Addicted is the most accessible. Or if you want to go in the deep end, Deconstruction.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gah, don't start with Deconstruction.

The album has so many references to older stuff and the first four DTP albums really work if you listen to them in order.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
But it has farting and burping :smith:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

henpod posted:

But it has farting and burping :smith:

The sooner Dev leaves this stuff behind the better.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Agreed, holy poo poo. I'm not opposed to having stuff that's funny or goofy, but jesus.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Decon is probably my fave DTP to be honest, it seems like the culmination of Devin's work as a musician.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am a very juvenile man and like Devin's juvenile side. For instance, I am truly sad over the apparent death of Ziltoid radio.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Addicted, Synchestra, Epicloud. They're the 3 most accessable.

From there, go wherever your heart takes you. It's all good.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I'd say Accelerated Evolution would be the most accessible/poppy. poo poo, even my parents like that album. But, it's not necessarily a good representation of Devin's overall catalog.

Epicloud is probably his best album. I don't think that thing has left my disc changer since it came out. It doesn't go to extremes on either end if you want a certain mood, but it covers his spread really loving well.

Really, it's hard to say where to start because Devin has covered pretty much every type of music you could want, so it's more of a question of "What kind of mood are you at the moment?" He probably has an album for it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice

Those On My Left posted:

Seems like a good time to post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYkr6RLujbw

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

This, too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4KTO6S0tg

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
His vocals in that one always floor me, switching between snarling and belting out the operatic stuff.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

There's bad juvenile Devin like the burping & farting and there's awesome juvenile Devin like Saran's ice cream truck and the Vampira video.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

Addicted, Synchestra, Epicloud. They're the 3 most accessable.

From there, go wherever your heart takes you. It's all good.

Really? I'd say the most accessible of all would be Ocean Machine.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

No way is Synchestra among the most accessible. Baby Song in particular is quite alienating. Ocean Machine, Addicted, Epicloud and Accelerated Evolution are all much more accessible than it. Synchestra is marginally less inaccessible than Terria or Infinity, both of which are not easy entry points.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gently caress it go with Deconstruction, The Hummer and Ghost.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Those On My Left posted:

No way is Synchestra among the most accessible. Baby Song in particular is quite alienating.

So very, very wrong :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think saying Synchestra is accessible is both right in wrong. It has alot of pretty fun, catchy tracks but it also has a bunch of stuff that's harder to get into. It has both sides of the Devin coin in there, which is part of the reason it's so drat good.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am a very juvenile man and like Devin's juvenile side. For instance, I am truly sad over the apparent death of Ziltoid radio.

Really? Crap.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Those On My Left posted:

No way is Synchestra among the most accessible.

Eh, it's what got me in to him and made me revisit the SYL I'd previously glossed over. It's pretty all-over-the-place (e.g.: Babysong vs Gaia vs Vampira) but all of those styles weren't overwhelming like other albums of his were to me at the time.

SmejWorth
May 17, 2004

what! no muffin?!
http://universalchoir.insideoutmusic.com/

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
If anything, we can hear clips of some new songs on that site :)

I want to submit but don't know where I could go to belt out enough to do it justice.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

henpod posted:

If anything, we can hear clips of some new songs on that site :)

I want to submit but don't know where I could go to belt out enough to do it justice.

Totally doing this in the car in the middle of nowhere so I don't piss off the neighbors.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Haha that's actually a pretty good idea.

I'm very tempted to send him audio clips of me farting, I think he will appreciate it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Gonna get my wife and son to belt it out with me!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Oh I'm so going to do that. Such a cool idea.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I introduced one of our attending docs and 4 residents to Devy last week.

The attending was irritated with a patient who was super non-compliant, wouldn't listen to our advice, and then would whine when he was suffering from any one of his chronic illnesses. Doc came out of the room and was ranting to the residents and said something about ignoring the guy's bullshit, and my brain went, "LIBERATION."

So next time he went to see a patient, I pulled up a youtube of the song and windowed the lyrics next to it, with a post-it to play it when he came back.

Apparently it's his theme song now and we're best buddies :dance:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
So I saw Devin yesterday at Sonisphere festival. He said that there is going to be a massive Z2 show with puppets and silly poo poo, at The Royal Albert Hall. That's going to be amazing!

He played well, but as always the mixing was terrible - Juular sounded like a mess and was drowned in muddy bass drums turned up too loud. Seriously, 2/3 of his shows are always mixed so badly. I thought he had been around the business long enough to know how to sort out the sound. Also, he was having fun but looked pretty tired. He said that he was in the middle of making two albums, and changing gear was tough. He was actually quite awkward and kept apologising for being weird. I don't ever want him to stop touring and making music, but he is burning himself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I wasn't at the show, but I worry about that too. The guy does a lot and stretches himself real thin. He needs to relax.

That being said, I am real excited to 'hear' my wife and I's horrible voices somewhere in the background of Z2. They will most likely be drowned out, but to think that I am kinda in there somewhere is fun.

• Locked thread