Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
All this game is missing at this point is a Belmont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I don't think they do Sudden Death in pro Smash.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Chaltab posted:

It looked faster than Brawl and slower than Melee which seems about right to me. There were times it looked like HD Project M but with the Gale Boomerang and Mario Tornado as a d-air.

It's faster than Brawl in the same way a turtle is faster than a snail. I figured from the way Sakurai described it that it would be a nice midway point, but it isn't anywhere near close to matching the speed of SSB64 let alone Melee's.

What's really strange is that from the footage from last year when Sakurai was playing against someone with Mega Man vs. Mario, the game DID look much faster. I know youtube videos can be misleading but I tried comparing it to Brawl footage, and it did seem significantly different. It's almost as if there's been a massive change since then.

Reiley posted:

Did you try a bunch of characters? Bowser didn't seem to float on the stream and people have said Samus drops fast so there's likely weight divisions and Mario would fit right in the middle.

Like I said, character weights might be different so they''ll fall faster, but that's about it. Every other character I saw on screen moved in similar fashion to their Brawl counterparts.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only way to completely forestall some kind of degenerate clock-exhausting strategy is to play without a time limit, but that's less practical for organized play.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Under normal tournament rules couldn't you just get a percentage lead and then stall the timer until you win, just like under these rules you can stall the timer until you get Sudden Death?

Like in this video that was posted earlier, where the guy is trying to do exactly that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQsivruSEEE

The guy stalling was the one behind in percent in this case, because of sudden death rules. This way any given match can become "the most agile character gets a second chance no matter what as long as they're willing to be boring for 3 minutes straight".

I am not like shaking my hands in rage and crying, I'm just saying that the entire competitive smash community does have a reason for not playing by those rules.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

so yeah, gently caress scarfguy, bask in the warm yellow glow of pac-man fever

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Space T Rex posted:

I am not like shaking my hands in rage and crying, I'm just saying that the entire competitive smash community does have a reason for not playing by those rules.

Well yeah, of course they do. But this entire tournament was silly from the start, and having Sudden Death turned on was hardly the biggest example of Nintendo not really playing by tournament rules. Most of the matches were four player free-for-alls and they had items turned on, for crying out loud.

edit: More importantly, this was the best part of that whole tournament. Dude loves Mega Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wnnv5zySAk

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I only have one question.

Did Mega Man look good in the tournament?

Also is Mega Man gonna be a starter character in this game, or is he an unlockable?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

He had the worst showing of all. Didn't even make the tier charts. The guy playing him was trying do up-close melee stuff with what was blatantly a projectile-oriented guy. I saw the Leaf Shield used like two or three times, total, never hit anyone

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Dude barely tried to use any projectiles, all melee all the time. He sucked as a result. One does not simply melee fight Fox without being good at it yourself, goddammit.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
These loving nerds take smash bros way too seriously.

Just play the game and enjoy it already! Stop the sperg nit-picking. :(

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also is Mega Man gonna be a starter character in this game, or is he an unlockable?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Excels posted:

Didn't even make the tier charts.

how can someone make a tier chart after, like, 5 fights

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

How Rude posted:

These loving nerds take smash bros way too seriously.

Just play the game and enjoy it already! Stop the sperg nit-picking. :(

Stop telling us how to have fun!

quote:

You won’t be able to use Mii Fighters when you fight With Anyone online, but the plan is to enable this feature With Friends online.
Well that loving blows. What a dumb decision.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why is there even a tier chart after 5 fights?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm so glad they used that music in the Pac-Man trailer. One of the best things about Pac-Mania was the "original Pac-Man cutscene" music, and there it was.

I also hope that the Pac-Land stage means we get the cartoon theme from that game too.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I thought mega man looked cool, and in fact, everyone looked cool

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Blackheart posted:

After carefully analyzing the match footage and inputting it into a spreadsheet,

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

He managed to pull off the Final Smash once, his usage in the tournament was validated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Its a few people's thoughts after messing around with the characters, it's not some sort of gospel. People can just toss their thoughts out.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

It seems like this game is actually slower in some respects than Brawl. For instance:

initial impressions posted:

-Delay after throwing someone. Really hard to follow up
-Dashing is really questionable in this game

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Well yeah, of course they do. But this entire tournament was silly from the start, and having Sudden Death turned on was hardly the biggest example of Nintendo not really playing by tournament rules. Most of the matches were four player free-for-alls and they had items turned on, for crying out loud.

edit: More importantly, this was the best part of that whole tournament. Dude loves Mega Man.

A competitive setting and a 'show-off the game' setting require different rules, because there are different objectives, yes. Literally all I am saying is that if your rules make "do literally nothing but evade, no attacking necessary, no using items necessary, no using smash balls necessary, nothing necessary except running and dodging" a viable tragedy* to win - then obviously that isn't the best way to show off your game.

*typo, but im gonna leave it.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 11, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Space T Rex posted:

The guy stalling was the one behind in percent in this case, because of sudden death rules. This way any given match can become "the most agile character gets a second chance no matter what as long as they're willing to be boring for 3 minutes straight".

For what it's worth, I didn't find it boring at all. I actually found it really tense watching him try and dodge away and keep from getting his poo poo kicked in, especially once it got down to one stock each. Further, I thought ending the whole thing on a Sudden Death was a pretty cool touch.

That said, I don't watch competitive Smash nor did the tournament inspire in me the desire to do so.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Mega Man looks like he might not quite control like the other characters, and because of that the dude that was playing sucked as him.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

It's pretty easy to tell a lot of the characters play just like they did in Brawl. I saw few (if any) new moves from returning characters. Fox was still clearly dominating, even with items on (most of which he ignored)

scarfguy won every round with ZSS by being a scrubby player. Hogging FOUR Smash Balls, hiding, turtling out the final match, just really ugly tactics to go with his ugly face and stupid loving Gamer Glasses and hipster scarf

Excels fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 11, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Why is there even a tier chart after 5 fights?

The smash community is dominated by soulless autists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Or some people who are really excited for a game decided to analyze what they have and put their thoughts together.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkvvowZEJkM

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is great

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bicyclops posted:

The way they did Pac Man has me really impressed and I was pretty lukewarm on him before. Why the hell did they release the news through Twitter at the rear end end of the evening? Such a weird, bizarre choice!

Hopefully it's because Nintendo has too much to talk about tomorrow.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Amazing. Pro-click.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Blackheart posted:

It's based on their practice time too. It's obviously not accurate, but it's interesting to see how it will change.

Speaking of, they only got 3 hours with the game before the tournament. I was expecting at least the day before.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's almost as if Nintendo is catering to both casual and hardcore crowds this time around, what with a "For Fun" and a "For Glory" mode online, etc. They realize the game is fun for pick up and play party style multiplayer, but also respect the more competitive scene that loves digging into the depth of the games. This is a good thing and this will probably be the best version of Smash Bros ever because of it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Excels posted:

It's pretty easy to tell a lot of the characters play just like they did in Brawl. I saw few (if any) new moves from returning characters. Fox was still clearly dominating, even with items on (most of which he ignored)

scarfguy won every round with ZSS by being a scrubby player. Hogging FOUR Smash Balls, hiding, turtling out the final match, just really ugly tactics to go with his ugly face and stupid loving Gamer Glasses and hipster scarf

Actually he was racking up a ton of kills, because her side B special seems insanely strong in this one, and unlike Brawl it does not seem to have diminishing returns to spamming it. I don't even think he used a single smash attack. That side-B was just as strong as one, and comes out insanely fast.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Tatum Girlparts posted:

If someone said "character A, B, and C seemed easiest to pick up and start winning with" instead of tiers, it'd be the same function, without as much of the stigma. It's really not that weird.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Holy poo poo some of y'all are Real Fuckin Mad about people putting together initial impressions of how characters are in relation to each other :stare:

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Megasabin posted:

Actually he was racking up a ton of kills, because her side B special seems insanely strong in this one, and unlike Brawl it does not seem to have diminishing returns to spamming it. I don't even think he used a single smash attack. That side-B was just as strong as one, and comes out insanely fast.

Yeah, that's called being a scrub. He used pretty much every dirty tactic there is in Smash. He spent like a full couple minutes of the Pilotwings match taking potshots from the lower wing. The crowds booed every time he won.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Manoueverable posted:

Holy poo poo some of y'all are Real Fuckin Mad about people putting together initial impressions of how characters are in relation to each other :stare:

People get incredibly mad about how other people have fun. It's the entire purpose of internet forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

F. Lobot posted:

It seems like this game is actually slower in some respects than Brawl. For instance:

Well that's just great.

• Locked thread