Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I had to leave the ruin sentinels til I'd finished the game, and by then they were a cakewalk, but these games have never been one for a smooth difficulty curve. I'm playing through the first dark souls now and the Capra Demon is loving impossible, and he's what, the second boss in the game? I had to cheese it or I knew I'd never get past it, I couldn't even touch him before getting stuck in a corner and dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So I just started my NG+ playthrough, and I'm around 3.4SM. I haven't seen a summon sign in all of heides tower, and I haven't gotten any bites on summon signs dropped at ornsteins door, or dragonrider, or at the bonfire. Am I too low or what? I thought it would be much more populated, at least as populated as NG was.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bob NewSCART posted:

So I just started my NG+ playthrough, and I'm around 3.4SM. I haven't seen a summon sign in all of heides tower, and I haven't gotten any bites on summon signs dropped at ornsteins door, or dragonrider, or at the bonfire. Am I too low or what? I thought it would be much more populated, at least as populated as NG was.

Did you happen to lose your connection to the multiplayer at any point? It won't properly reconnect unless you restart the game I think.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I just exited and there was an update queued. Could that be the reason? Running on an older version of the game?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bob NewSCART posted:

I just exited and there was an update queued. Could that be the reason? Running on an older version of the game?

There should be an update today to fix a couple of glitches.
e: It's in the ingame info for me, anyway.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

I had to leave the ruin sentinels til I'd finished the game, and by then they were a cakewalk, but these games have never been one for a smooth difficulty curve. I'm playing through the first dark souls now and the Capra Demon is loving impossible, and he's what, the second boss in the game? I had to cheese it or I knew I'd never get past it, I couldn't even touch him before getting stuck in a corner and dying.

Run around to one of Capra's sides, rolling if necessary to dodge him, run up stairs, kill dogs as they chase you, then fight Capra 1v1. Try and get some poise you won't get stunned by the dogs.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Your Computer posted:

There should be an update today to fix a couple of glitches.
e: It's in the ingame info for me, anyway.

Yeah, the binocular and parrywalking thing right? I was wondering if that could've been the reason I wasn't finding anyone for co-op in NG+, because I was running on an unupdated version.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Capra Demon always amused me because it was one boss I literally never had trouble with. For all the complaining I heard about it, Capra was complete pushover. Of course before that I died to the Gargoyles like 20 times. :saddowns:

VVV The secret to the gargoyle fight in this game is that each one spawns after a certain amount of damage is dealt to all gargoyles combined. If you spread your damage around then you'll end up waking up every gargoyle at once and die horribly. The trick is too focus on one gargoyle at a time. That way you never face more than two of them if you do it properly.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 11, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You all must be fighting some other version of the gargoyles because in all the times I've fought them, I've never been able to heal without taking at least one hit from one of the bastards. Half my strategy now is just getting them down to half health so they back the gently caress off and breathe fire.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Fashion souls

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Control Volume posted:

You all must be fighting some other version of the gargoyles because in all the times I've fought them, I've never been able to heal without taking at least one hit from one of the bastards. Half my strategy now is just getting them down to half health so they back the gently caress off and breathe fire.

Dude their recovery time is enormous and they don't chase half as well as Ruin Sentinels :psyduck:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Praseodymi posted:

Poise is a thing in DS1 the way it isn't in DS2. Get yourself the Wolf Ring or the Elite Knight's set and you'll be able to take out the dogs much easier. Once that's done, Capra's a chump.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Soul bolt might be the most aggressively useless spell ever. Its like crystal dragon breath only somehow even worse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It can do as much damage as soul geyser!

against afk people

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Poise is a thing in DS1 the way it isn't in DS2. Get yourself the Wolf Ring or the Elite Knight's set and you'll be able to take out the dogs much easier. Once that's done, Capra's a chump.

You also don't take nearly as much damage in the last game. If you have the poise and a big weapon you can just tank their hits and kill the dogs as soon as the fight starts in relative safety.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Soul bolt might be the most aggressively useless spell ever. Its like crystal dragon breath only somehow even worse.

Soul Bolt is trash, but White Dragon Breath was good in dks1. It was good for taking out multiple trash mobs, had a lot of casts, and was good in pvp if you free-aimed it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

My favorite thing to do when "helping" a host with the Gargoyles is make sure that as many of them spawn as possible.

I'm having a lot of fun right now taking invaders in Dragon's Aerie to whatever the closest bridge is and doing the 2-handed running R1 with my Grand Lance. There's not enough space to roll to the other side.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I feel bad for the dragon covenant guy I summoned. Triggered the eye and stood by the gate to the Iron Keep to wait for him to notice me. He didn't see me and tottled off towards the bonfire. I hucked a great lightning spear, missed and he tried to hide behind the railing.

Emit Force is god damned amazing. Caught him through the wall and in two of his mistimed rolls. Then popped him when he finally chose to get close and won. Felt like cheating.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Am I doing something wrong by not wanting to use potions during pvp for dragon scales?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gargoyles is the only fight I use a shield on, I've been hit too many times trying to dodge them constantly flying up above me and hitting me from behind

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dirty Job posted:

Am I doing something wrong by not wanting to use potions during pvp for dragon scales?

If you're doing it just for the scales you should be as cheap as possibly, chugging included. Up to your personal preference, of course.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Thinking about making a flamberge build because I am a crazy person.

PvP got boring because I was destroying everyone with my claw+notched whip combo. Gimme my bleed great sword and let me confuse people to death.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dirty Job posted:

I think it's way more fun without chugging, so I got all my scales without using a single estus. v:shobon:v

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

gently caress e honor. Blood! Blood! BLOOD!!!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

First impressions of the dragon remnants: Lots of people starting fights up with spells out the wazoo/making GBS threads the bed when they don't work, and full havel's swinging until their stamina is gone.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Wow, I want the Skeptic's Spice I used infusing Blinding Bolt back. That spell is hot garbage.

oneof3steves
Oct 25, 2007

Sgulp
As someone who loves this game all of the even vaguely dog related creatures are horribly animated and er damaginated. It is seriously weird and they should fire whatever intern handled them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

burntpork posted:

Soul Bolt is trash, but White Dragon Breath was good in dks1. It was good for taking out multiple trash mobs, had a lot of casts, and was good in pvp if you free-aimed it.

I mean it sure killed poo poo in PvE, but I can't believe that any human would be dumb enough to get hit by it no matter where it was aimed. It takes about a million years to cast and travels slowly in a straight loving line. It's actually pretty impressive that they managed to make it worse.

Vanderdeath posted:

Wow, I want the Skeptic's Spice I used infusing Blinding Bolt back. That spell is hot garbage.

Blinding Bolt is super finicky and for every time you manage to nail someone for 2500 damage there will be two times where you get nothing. I've had some luck using it in the vein of Lingering Flame, i.e. as an attack from ambush/area denial delaying tactic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Would someone mind reminding me which items boost item find/luck? The wikis don't have an entry on item discovery because it's not an actual stat you can look at and it's really annoying. I'm considering making an item discovery rate page on the wiki(s) just so that I personally do not have to try to remember every time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Merchant's Hat, Prisoner's Hood, Prisoner's tatters (torso piece), Gold Covetous Serpent ring.

edit: and rusted coin, temporarily,

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Would someone mind reminding me which items boost item find/luck? The wikis don't have an entry on item discovery because it's not an actual stat you can look at and it's really annoying. I'm considering making an item discovery rate page on the wiki(s) just so that I personally do not have to try to remember every time.

Jester headpiece, Prisoner's headpiece and armor (tatters), Covetous Gold Serpent ring and Rusted Coins.

e: oh, and the merchant headpiece.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

oneof3steves posted:

As someone who loves this game all of the even vaguely dog related creatures are horribly animated and er damaginated. It is seriously weird and they should fire whatever intern handled them.
Do you mean the dog things in the Gutter?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

First impressions of the dragon remnants: Lots of people starting fights up with spells out the wazoo/making GBS threads the bed when they don't work, and full havel's swinging until their stamina is gone.

Yeah everyone has to cast their weapon buff, GMB, Sacred Oath, and Affinity. And if you don't wait for them you're a dishonorable scumbag.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you, I appreciate it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

neetengie posted:

Do you mean the dog things in the Gutter?

The Bastille dogs are also pretty jank, though not nearly so jank as the Gutter dogs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/luck

Made a page on the subject of luck/item find. If anyone knows a clarification for the things I listed as unresolved feel free to let me know and I'll change it (or you can do it instead if you want).

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

CJacobs posted:

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/luck

Made a page on the subject of luck/item find. If anyone knows a clarification for the things I listed as unresolved feel free to let me know and I'll change it (or you can do it instead if you want).
Hopefully Tallgeese can see the values of luck and all that, because it looks like he has a lot of experience digging through code with CE and other stuff.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

oneof3steves posted:

http://imgur.com/b6VZes6

Yessss.... finally got the sickle and now I'm ready for my gimmick coop/pvp character. Going to have to invade as red a lot I think.

This is from a few pages back, but I have a similar gimmick character. Mine is bald with a moustache and goatee :haw:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

neetengie posted:

Hopefully Tallgeese can see the values of luck and all that, because it looks like he has a lot of experience digging through code with CE and other stuff.

He looked into the item find items and said they all apply the same buff. So wear any piece you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kazil posted:

He looked into the item find items and said they all apply the same buff. So wear any piece you want.

He peered into the very essence of the code. But what ever came of it...