Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Does the stereo have to be on to show anything other than the volt logo on the main display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

ToxicFrog posted:

This is the interior of an '04 Corolla, aka the fanciest and most technologically advanced car I have ever driven until yesterday's test drive.

Grey and black, big chunky shifter, big chunky dials, big chunky buttons, big chunky instruments. Everything is analog and looks a bit boxy.

This, on the other hand, is the interior of a 2014 Leaf:

Everything is smooth, off-white curves framing glossy black digital displays and flat touch panels. It is full of things that light up and go "bing" and instead of a shifter it has something that looks like it belongs in a UFO.

Maybe I'm just behind the times and this is the standard aesthetic for cars these days, but coming from what I normally drive, it looks like something from 2114 crash-landed on Nissan's lawn and they used the cockpit as the design inspiration.

I came from a 1993 Mazda Pickup and a 1976 Toyota. To me, your Corolla's dash looks pretty darn similar to a Leaf. Maybe it's just because our interior is black? Either way, the general shape is pretty similar from that angle. It is very different in front of the driver but still pretty similar to other Nissans.

Also, do the trim lines around the buttons actually light up? I'd swear ours don't. That photo looks way more futuristic than our Leaf feels!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hillridge posted:

Does the stereo have to be on to show anything other than the volt logo on the main display?

Of course not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ToxicFrog posted:

This, on the other hand, is the interior of a 2014 Leaf:

That looks awesome. Too bad the exterior looks like halfway through their work, the design team just wandered away from their workplace and got captured and held by the Taliban for 5 years.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ford is now running a $6000 cash back, and 0% interest for 60 months deal on the Focus Electric. Puts it square with the Leaf on price, from what I understand.

$22k ish after the $7500 fed tax rebate is looking mighty fine.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Ford is now running a $6000 cash back, and 0% interest for 60 months deal on the Focus Electric. Puts it square with the Leaf on price, from what I understand.

0% for 60 months beats the 0% for 36 months I got from Nissan.

I'm not totally sure how the concept of 'cash back' works. Can you use it on the down payment? Or are you stuck potentially financing that money? $6,000 is more than one full year of my payments!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

angryrobots posted:

Well drat. If that thing had enough range to get to work and back I'd be all over that. Sadly, I'm still in the situation where the Model S is the only thing with the range I need, but it's just way the hell out of my price range.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
That one is ok on range for me, but the top speed of 84 mph is a turn off. I'd have that thing maxed out for the entire highway portion of my commute. Do you know if ford is offering similar deals on the energi series?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Advent Horizon posted:

0% for 60 months beats the 0% for 36 months I got from Nissan.

I'm not totally sure how the concept of 'cash back' works. Can you use it on the down payment? Or are you stuck potentially financing that money? $6,000 is more than one full year of my payments!

Cash back is a rebate, that is typically applied to the final sale price (after taxes, tags, license, etc) and will reduce the amount financed (like a down payment).

If so desired (which is rare) it can be given to you as a check from the manufacturer to do whatever you like. Be aware it can take up to 6 weeks before you see the check.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hillridge posted:

That one is ok on range for me, but the top speed of 84 mph is a turn off. I'd have that thing maxed out for the entire highway portion of my commute. Do you know if ford is offering similar deals on the energi series?

The other problem you will have is that the range is severely shortened if you're doing that sort of speed. It's true of gas cars too, but not so noticeable when you have 10+ gallons to work with instead of the equivalent of just under one.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Yeah, that's another reason that I think a volt will be a better option than a pure EV for me. I can gently caress up the whole electric side of things (forget to charge, hammer down, etc.) and still not be screwed.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

In my case, I have two vehicles of my own on the road, and a daily 40 mile total commute @16 mpg in my truck which I need to keep. Depending on how much it costs to insure, I think it world be competitive verses buying a reliable gas saver, or continuing to dump fuel and extra maintenance at my tow/haul vehicle.

I turn 30 in August, gonna put my E30 on Hagerty then (avoid <30 surcharge) and see what's up with Ford's pricing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Cash back is a rebate, that is typically applied to the final sale price (after taxes, tags, license, etc) and will reduce the amount financed (like a down payment).

If so desired (which is rare) it can be given to you as a check from the manufacturer to do whatever you like. Be aware it can take up to 6 weeks before you see the check.

If you're financing at 0%, you'd be better off having them cut you a cheque and chucking it in bonds or something* for the term.

*late night drunken eBaying

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If you really want to throw the F&I person off balance, ask for the check. Seriously. I guarantee you they don't even know how to process the paperwork -- because nobody takes the check. Ever.

(I agree with Linedance -- as long as the 0% financing is not dependent on applying the cash back to the loan amount. It was when I bought my Volt last year)

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've never leased before, but this is chiefly what I'm looking at right now. I'm assuming it's similar to buying a car with haggling over the price, but in the case of a lease, are you negotiating the monthly rate, total cost of the car, other stuff, or all of the above? I'm fine with the 12k mileage limit as I average under 15k a year and this won't be my sole car/long trip car. I don't plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, and I doubt I will re-lease from the same dealer when my lease is up.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Drove a 2014 Volt today, and definitely liked it more than the leaf or 2012 volt. Probably the car I will end up leasing. Initial offer was $34k sale price so $369/mo for a 3 year, not a great price, but not a ripp off either, I can likely do better. Hitting up another dealer on the way home to see what they have to offer, then negotiations start. I was going to try an i3 as well, but there's no way I'd get the lease low enough to warrant it over a volt.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Hillridge posted:

I've never leased before, but this is chiefly what I'm looking at right now. I'm assuming it's similar to buying a car with haggling over the price, but in the case of a lease, are you negotiating the monthly rate, total cost of the car, other stuff, or all of the above?

There are a few good posts on SA about leasing, I would recommend reading them all and understanding as much about lease specific terms (residual, money factor, capital cost reduction etc) as you can. You don't want to be that Altima guy.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Is electric racecar chat welcome in here? Or is it strictly daily drivers?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

sanchez posted:

There are a few good posts on SA about leasing, I would recommend reading them all and understanding as much about lease specific terms (residual, money factor, capital cost reduction etc) as you can. You don't want to be that Altima guy.

Link to Altima guy please.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

c355n4 posted:

Is electric racecar chat welcome in here? Or is it strictly daily drivers?

I probably speak for a lot of people when I say I would be very interested in hearing about that. Racecar tech is always so bleeding-edge, they must be doing some cool poo poo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'd also love to hear some e-racecar stuff. I read something a while ago about a Tesla at an autocross event, course marshals got spooked by the silence.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ExecuDork posted:

I'd also love to hear some e-racecar stuff. I read something a while ago about a Tesla at an autocross event, course marshals got spooked by the silence.

I wasnt exactly enthused by the Tesla rehash of the Elise, but the more I read about the Model S and everything to do with the supercharging stations etc.... I REALLY want to fling one around a track now. I would imagine racetracks would also have supercharging stations in pit garages too if the Tesla system really takes off.

Hey, I've got solar at home and it's Australia, sunlight aint a problem for home charging. No more lugging jerry cans or worrying about dodgy fuel.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I think it's more likely you'd see CHADeMo than Tesla superchargers at tracks. Tesla has an adapter out.

Or whatever the SAE plug is, I forget the number.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy
I recently purchased a Volt (well leased). I was looking for a LEAF but it seems like where I live they were not in many dealerships and the ones that had it wouldn't budge on price. So we test drove all the other EVs (Focus, i miev, Plug-in Pruis, i3) and found the Volt to be great. It has a lot of room than the Leaf and it has the range extender. I've had it for about a week now and have gone 250 miles, all of which on battery.

Looking forward to many years on battery power.

If you have any questions about the Volt let me know and I will try my best to answer them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Advent Horizon posted:

I think it's more likely you'd see CHADeMo than Tesla superchargers at tracks. Tesla has an adapter out.

Or whatever the SAE plug is, I forget the number.

Given Tesla are making fairly convincing noises about allowing their patents to be used, given they have what appears to be superior tech and the momentum..... it'll be interesting to see if your right. Not too sure you will be tho, the Tesla supercharger might well win this one.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I actually just test drove a fully loaded one two days ago, and liked it a lot. I'll probably end up leasing one as well. There weren't really any other EV options for me, since I have a 250 mile trip once a month, pretty much every month, and the Volt was the only EV with the extender other than the BMW (if I am wrong, please let me know).

The car felt super roomy, but it has virtually zero trunk, unless you fold down the back seats, which still leaves it deep, but very shallow.

What package did you get?

If you have the standard sound package, how is it? The one I drove had the Bose, and it was remarkably bad, and I usually do not care at all about sound systems. I may try to get one with the standard package (like $500 cheaper), then just get a decent after market system put in.

Anything that annoys you yet?

Have you already had a 240v plug installed? If so, how much was it?

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

I actually just test drove a fully loaded one two days ago, and liked it a lot. I'll probably end up leasing one as well. There weren't really any other EV options for me, since I have a 250 mile trip once a month, pretty much every month, and the Volt was the only EV with the extender other than the BMW (if I am wrong, please let me know).

The car felt super roomy, but it has virtually zero trunk, unless you fold down the back seats, which still leaves it deep, but very shallow.

What package did you get?

If you have the standard sound package, how is it? The one I drove had the Bose, and it was remarkably bad, and I usually do not care at all about sound systems. I may try to get one with the standard package (like $500 cheaper), then just get a decent after market system put in.

Anything that annoys you yet?

Have you already had a 240v plug installed? If so, how much was it?

Since I am using as my commuter 15 miles each way, I went basic, just backup cam and heated seats.

Truck space is ok, I was able to fit my laptop bag and a weeks worth of grocery shopping back there.

The sound is nothing to write home about, it has ok sound but if you like good highs and lows go with the Bose.

The annoying thing is the buffering noise with the front windows down. And old people that don't understand EVs, I've been asked 5 times already if I am afraid that it will blow it.

I don't have a 240v yet, but the 120 in 12amp mode charges it in 9 hours using 9 KWh.

I think it is a really good EV, and the range extender is great if you would need to travel, though the MPG isn't the best using it

Also the three free years on onstar with directions are really cool. Makes me glad I didn't opt for the nav package

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 10, 2014

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
2nd request on sound system. This is one of the options I'd consider since it's designed to be low power, but if it sounds like rear end I'll save the extra cash. Safety package 2 seems like a complete waste of money.

Edit: You replied while I was posting.

The window noise is crazy annoying, but seemed better if both were down. With one down it sounded like I was in a helicopter.

Hillridge fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 10, 2014

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Hillridge posted:

2nd request on sound system. This is one of the options I'd consider since it's designed to be low power, but if it sounds like rear end I'll save the extra cash. Safety package 2 seems like a complete waste of money.

I didn't go with the Bose, but the stock one isn't that good if you care a lot about it, I would say it is on par with the car it replaced. But I would think any upgrade would be better.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks Dbhjed for the info. Could you explain the sound you are talking about when the window is down?

Hillridge, save the cash on the Bose system, and use it for a medium range aftermarket system if you don't like the stock one. I am NOT a big sound guy. I am not picky. The last piece of car stereo equipment that I purchased was over a decade ago as a teenager. Even I thought the Bose was bad. I'm not up on the terminology, but it sounded both hollow and tinny at the same time.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

Thanks Dbhjed for the info. Could you explain the sound you are talking about when the window is down?

Hillridge, save the cash on the Bose system, and use it for a medium range aftermarket system if you don't like the stock one. I am NOT a big sound guy. I am not picky. The last piece of car stereo equipment that I purchased was over a decade ago as a teenager. Even I thought the Bose was bad. I'm not up on the terminology, but it sounded both hollow and tinny at the same time.

I think it is a problem on a lot of new cars. When the windows are down the air since it is getting sucked over the car in an efficient manner isn't making it inside the car 100% of the time, leading to this bass like thump thump. The way I've found to get around it is the have the drivers window open all the way and the rear passenger window open half way. I must note this only happens on the highway, under 45 it is perfect.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome. Thanks! It's probably going to be 3-4 weeks before I actually sign the lease. Waiting on a bonus from work to hit. Would love for you to post any other issues, if any, that you come across.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Doom Rooster posted:

Awesome. Thanks! It's probably going to be 3-4 weeks before I actually sign the lease. Waiting on a bonus from work to hit. Would love for you to post any other issues, if any, that you come across.

No problem. Remember when buying a car, it is always best to go near the of the month. I was able to get my dealer with 0 down 30 bucks a month less than the deal started at.

Also costing 1.13 a day to run is a lot better than the 3.95 it was costing for my old car, besides having a car payment now.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

The EVSR is not Formula-E; but, the concept/theory behind its construction is to be able to compete with the normal gas cars during a typical race weekend. Importance is placed on ease of charging and runtime. They are something a grassroots/amateur driver would be able to compete with and keep running at a track. There are currently two prototypes based on a modified SCCA spec racer chassis.

To date they have:
* Completed the SCCA "Chasing the Dragon" Hillclimb
* Raced wheel to wheel with the SCCA at Pocono
* Andy Lally raced one in an exhibition race during IMSA's Memorial Weekend at Lime Rock Park
* Both cars raced during the IMG Memorial Day Races
* Currently preparing for the Mt Washington Hillclimb

A lot of information can be found at the website http://evsr.net/welcome-to-evsr-net/.

I'm itching to get the chance to drive one in a race. Feel free to ask any questions.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Pulled the trigger on a Volt tonight!

Should be able to drive it home by the end of the week or Monday at the latest. Does anyone have recommendations on a 240V charger? The 120V one will work most of the time, but it would be easy to put a 240V high power one in my garage.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

My boyfriend has fallen head over heels in love with the Tesla Model S, and will likely be ordering his 85kWh next week after a second test drive this weekend just to confirm that he really really wants it. Are there any goons that have one that can offer any advice on owning/maintaining one, what we should/shouldn't be doing with it, or anything of the sort? He'll be upgrading from a 2013 Civic EX so it's quite the step up in every way.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Hillridge posted:

Should be able to drive it home by the end of the week or Monday at the latest. Does anyone have recommendations on a 240V charger? The 120V one will work most of the time, but it would be easy to put a 240V high power one in my garage.

Congrats on the purchase!

While I don't have any personally these have good reviews on Home Depot:

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Schneider-...30WS/203670265/

http://t.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Level-2-Wall-Mount-Watt-Station-EVWSWBH-CP02/204269636/

I am debating on which one to get. Either way let us know about the install, I am interested in process and price. Once I get my old car sold I will be picking up a level 2 as well.

Dbhjed fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 11, 2014

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Night Danger Moose posted:

My boyfriend has fallen head over heels in love with the Tesla Model S, and will likely be ordering his 85kWh next week after a second test drive this weekend just to confirm that he really really wants it. Are there any goons that have one that can offer any advice on owning/maintaining one, what we should/shouldn't be doing with it, or anything of the sort? He'll be upgrading from a 2013 Civic EX so it's quite the step up in every way.

Drive it fast and have a blast. Just don't clip another car or curb those beautiful wheels. They are very expensive to fix. Also be sure to account for "Tesla Time" when going out (explaining what the hell the car is to curious onlookers when you get in or out of the car).

Really there is no maintenance other than changing the tires which will come very quickly if you're driving it like you should be :)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hillridge posted:

I highly recommend the Clipper Creek chargers, the basic unit costs $395 and an electrician should be able to install it in an hour or less.

http://www.clippercreek.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

eeenmachine posted:

Drive it fast and have a blast. Just don't clip another car or curb those beautiful wheels. They are very expensive to fix. Also be sure to account for "Tesla Time" when going out (explaining what the hell the car is to curious onlookers when you get in or out of the car).

Really there is no maintenance other than changing the tires which will come very quickly if you're driving it like you should be :)

What sort of actual range do you get in the Tesla when practicing 'spirited' driving? Normal driving?

• Locked thread