Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hahahaha that is totally going in my Thassa deck. Thanks for the idea!

Yea I have it in my Tajic deck...indestructible+takes all damage for you=invincible (especially if you get shroud on your commander)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Hahahaha that is totally going in my Thassa deck. Thanks for the idea!

Combine with Stuffy Doll in multi-player EDH for loss of friends. :smugdog:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea I have it in my Tajic deck...indestructible+takes all damage for you=invincible (especially if you get shroud on your commander)

Only problem is if they can un-devote (not a word), and then they all pile on.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

En Fuego posted:

Only problem is if they can un-devote (not a word), and then they all pile on.

Well yeah there's an answer to everything but it's still hard to deal with.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Elephant Ambush posted:

Well yeah there's an answer to everything but it's still hard to deal with.

Yeah, but it's that realization that some people need to make. You may have an awesome lock, but someone is usually ingenious enough to get through it.

My Zedruu deck has:

Possibility Storm/Knowledge Pool + Teferi

Celestial Dawn

Steel Golem / Grid Monitor

All are pretty annoying soft locks, but they're all able to get through somehow. All will completely paint a target on your head.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Yeah, but it's that realization that some people need to make. You may have an awesome lock, but someone is usually ingenious enough to get through it.

My Zedruu deck has:

Possibility Storm/Knowledge Pool + Teferi

Celestial Dawn

Steel Golem / Grid Monitor

All are pretty annoying soft locks, but they're all able to get through somehow. All will completely paint a target on your head.

Well yea...if there is a combo that is unstoppable odds are it will be banned. The problem is that in a deck full of 100 cards and 4 players there will be an answer to everything. Its your job to have an answer for their answer.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

OssiansFolly posted:

Well yea...if there is a combo that is unstoppable odds are it will be banned. The problem is that in a deck full of 100 cards and 4 players there will be an answer to everything. Its your job to have an answer for their answer.

The answer is usually good politics and smart play. You simply cannot plan ahead for every possible counter to your wincons.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

The answer is usually good politics and smart play. You simply cannot plan ahead for every possible counter to your wincons.

Well yea...you don't come out of the gate with Armageddon, thats just bad form. But if you are building a wincon into your deck it is kind of part of the strategy to have SOME ways to protect that wincon.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Bonus posted:

I've built a Talrand EDH deck, but I found it to be too dependent on Talrand. If he got killed (which happened often, because you have to tap out to cast him usually), I was just left with a bunch of not so powerful cards in my hand. Maybe that was because I was running something like 30 cantrips, 15 counterspells, and 15 draw/bounce spells. If you're going mono blue, I'd recommend Teferi as the commander, he's really fun and insanely strong. You also never have to tap out on your turn.I reworked the Talrand deck to be a Teferi deck and included some more creatures and just more powerful stuff (like Sower of Temptation, Consecrated Sphinx, Ertai, Wizard Adept, etc.) and some combos to finish things out and it works great.

On the fact of Talrand bullshit, someone I play with quite frequently runs a Talrand deck that's all counterspells and lands. All of the good ones. I hate playing against it because turn 0 and on counters for the whole game. Luckily he usually only pulls it out for multiplayer to be the politician, and then still win after handing favors out left and right. :smithicide: A "rule" of playing with our group is Never trust Sam.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That Shield is a neat idea but I don't know how often Purphoros will be a creature, considering that the majority of my permanents will be tokens or colorless. If I find one I'll hang on to it, at least.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

On the fact of Talrand bullshit, someone I play with quite frequently runs a Talrand deck that's all counterspells and lands. All of the good ones. I hate playing against it because turn 0 and on counters for the whole game. Luckily he usually only pulls it out for multiplayer to be the politician, and then still win after handing favors out left and right. :smithicide: A "rule" of playing with our group is Never trust Sam.

This is the deck my one buddy has...it is Talrand, Lands and then 40 or so counter spells. Every time he says he is playing that deck I just immediately concede. I don't have the will nor the desire to spend the next 45 minutes watching you counter everything. I came to PLAY my deck not let you counter every god drat thing I do.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm just glad the guy never pulls it out for 1v1.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm just glad the guy never pulls it out for 1v1.

...we almost exclusively play 1v1. I think I've been over this with the people in these threads and everyone agrees that the people I play with are just terrible people...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

C-Euro posted:

That Shield is a neat idea but I don't know how often Purphoros will be a creature, considering that the majority of my permanents will be tokens or colorless. If I find one I'll hang on to it, at least.

That's why it is best in a Tajik or Avacyn deck.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

The last time I saw a Pariah lock, I cloned it - it turned out that MY deck could beat a resolved Pariah lock, but his could not. :getin:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I figure this is the best place to put this. Video I made today with my Lazav deck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNM6gENBPGw

Sorry about the audio. I am still trying to figure out why I get a bit of an echo with it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I figured I'd ask this here since it's more multiplayer-oriented than other Magic threads. I'm thinking up of some cycles I want to put into a Conspiracy multiplayer cube, and I'm looking at creatures with 4CC mana costs that have a sort of "multiplayer matters" effect. After drafting both Scourge of the Throne and Hydra Omnivore and my brother drafting Pristine Angel over the weekend, it seemed easy enough but now I'm wondering if there are better choices. Right now it's looking like this:

White - Pristine Angel
Blue - Consecrated Sphinx
Black - Scythe Specter
Red - Scourge of the Throne
Green - Hydra Omnivore

I'm just looking for second opinions any of you might think would be more fun in one color or another. It doesn't seem like white has too much in that casting cost range, and red has at least Mana-Charged Dragon I could put in instead.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Sphinx is miles better than any of those other options and is the opposite of fun, at least for me.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, Sphinx is the odd one out there in terms of power as well. It blows the others away. Might be more fair if your cube is heavy in removal?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Angel seems far less multiplayer-oriented since it only untaps off of your spells, not everyone's. I couldn't give you a better alternative off the top of my head right now though.
E: Here's a list of them, at any rate.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 11, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

whydirt posted:

Sphinx is miles better than any of those other options and is the opposite of fun, at least for me.

Deckit posted:

Yeah, Sphinx is the odd one out there in terms of power as well. It blows the others away. Might be more fair if your cube is heavy in removal?

I'm planning quite a bit of removal, but I was thinking the Sphinx might be too much as well. The backup plan I did have was Djinn of the Infinite Deceits which leads to some creature swapping shenanigans and is a pretty big wall on its own.

C-Euro posted:

Angel seems far less multiplayer-oriented since it only untaps off of your spells, not everyone's. I couldn't give you a better alternative off the top of my head right now though.
E: Here's a list of them, at any rate.

Maybe Spirit of the Hearth might work, provided I run enough target effects in the cube to make it desirable. Maybe Adakar Valkyrie for potentially stealing opponent's creatures that are killing one another?

I was also thinking of a cycle of XC spells that do something to each player, but outside of Earthquake, Hurricane, and Prosperity, I can't think of a white or black spell to fill that role. Maybe Bond of Agony.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 11, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mercury Crusader posted:

Maybe Spirit of the Hearth might work, provided I run enough target effects in the cube to make it desirable. Maybe Adakar Valkyrie for potentially stealing opponent's creatures that are killing one another?

Those two caught my eye when going through that list, as did Darien, Graven Dominator, and Patron of the Kitsune since they all "scale up" for having more opponents in the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Those two caught my eye when going through that list, as did Darien, Graven Dominator, and Patron of the Kitsune since they all "scale up" for having more opponents in the game.

In games with > 4 people, my Omnath deck becomes a Multani deck, and my first tutor is always for Nylea. 30/30 trample commander attacking on turn 4 is the best thing.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Helpful Advice: When you drop Guile/Dovescape to try making infinite pigeons in your Kangee bird deck, remember to remove the Purphoros an opponent with a full hand of cards has in play before they empty their hand and kill everyone with exploding birds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

In games with > 4 people, my Omnath deck becomes a Multani deck, and my first tutor is always for Nylea. 30/30 trample commander attacking on turn 4 is the best thing.

I run him in my Sisay deck with Akroma's Memorial :getin::hf::getin:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm planning quite a bit of removal, but I was thinking the Sphinx might be too much as well. The backup plan I did have was Djinn of the Infinite Deceits which leads to some creature swapping shenanigans and is a pretty big wall on its own.

I was also thinking of a cycle of XC spells that do something to each player, but outside of Earthquake, Hurricane, and Prosperity, I can't think of a white or black spell to fill that role. Maybe Bond of Agony.

Divine Deflection for white! Divine Deflection

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I figured I'd ask this here since it's more multiplayer-oriented than other Magic threads. I'm thinking up of some cycles I want to put into a Conspiracy multiplayer cube, and I'm looking at creatures with 4CC mana costs that have a sort of "multiplayer matters" effect. After drafting both Scourge of the Throne and Hydra Omnivore and my brother drafting Pristine Angel over the weekend, it seemed easy enough but now I'm wondering if there are better choices. Right now it's looking like this:

White - Pristine Angel
Blue - Consecrated Sphinx
Black - Scythe Specter
Red - Scourge of the Throne
Green - Hydra Omnivore

I'm just looking for second opinions any of you might think would be more fun in one color or another. It doesn't seem like white has too much in that casting cost range, and red has at least Mana-Charged Dragon I could put in instead.

White - Magus of the Moat

The rest of the table hates you now.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Deckit posted:

Divine Deflection for white! Divine Deflection

This looks like a fun card to use. And actually seems more useful compared to the other XW instant/sorcery spells.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
So I bought a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck off of ebay (probably a bad idea, wasn't that great) so I figured I'd try and throw something together. I came up with this list and was hoping to get some help.
Talk hit get poo poo
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/talk-hit-get-poo poo/

quote:

Creature (53)
1x Abyssal Specter
1x Abyssal Specter
1x Artisan of Kozilek
1x Bearer of the Heavens
1x Blazing Specter
1x Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
1x Butcher of Malakir
1x Charmbreaker Devils
1x Cinder Pyromancer
1x Cryptborn Horror
1x Deathbringer Thoctar
1x Dread Cacodemon
1x Dread Slaver
1x Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
1x Furnace Dragon
1x Furyborn Hellkite
1x Goblin Sharpshooter
1x Greater Harvester
1x Guul Draz Specter
1x Harvester of Souls
1x Havengul Vampire
1x Hellhole Rats
1x Hypnotic Specter
1x Hypnox
1x Kaervek the Merciless
1x Knollspine Dragon
1x Lightning Reaver
1x Lord of the Void
1x Maga, Traitor to Mortals
1x Magmatic Force
1x Mana-Charged Dragon
1x Markov Blademaster
1x Mephidross Vampire
1x Mirri the Cursed
1x Necropolis Regent
1x Needle Specter
1x Pathrazer of Ulamog
1x Prodigal Pyromancer
1x Prowling Pangolin
1x Rakdos Shred-Freak
1x Rakish Heir
1x Rapacious One
1x Rock Hydra
1x Sangromancer
1x Scythe Specter
1x Shivan Dragon
1x Silent Specter
1x Singe-Mind Ogre
1x Sire Of Insanity
1x Spike Jester
1x Spirit of the Night
1x Stromkirk Captain
1x Ulamog's Crusher
1x Vampire Nighthawk

Instant (10)
1x Crush
1x Lightning Bolt
1x Lightning Strike
1x Magma Jet
1x Magnetic Theft
1x Massive Raid
1x Murder
1x Shock
1x Thunderbolt
1x Titan's Strength

Land (34)
13x Mountain
21x Swamp

Sorcery (2)
1x Skull Rend
1x Torrent of Souls

Planeswalker (1)
1x Sorin Markov

Manabase is crap, I'll work on that as time goes on.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

That's a lot of expensive cards and only 34 lands.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Archenteron posted:

Ramirez dePietro's Grand Piracy Adventure is my favorite deck. Theft, reanimate (which is simply graveyard theft) and clone effects everywhere. It can be a bit variable depending on the other players' decks and boardstates, leading to awkward moments where I have a Lord of the Void and a handful of clone effects with nothing else good on the board, so an Evil Twin, Phyrexian Metamorph, Stolen Identity, and kicked Rite of Replication later, and I eventually win the game with 9 Lords.

I made what I'm guessing is an extremely similar steal/reanimate/clone deck, but used Lazav as the commander because a) what the hell, and b) sometimes he gets big and interesting and hexproof. It is an absolute blast. I call it your.dec.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

homerlaw posted:

So I bought a Rakdos, Lord of Riots deck off of ebay (probably a bad idea, wasn't that great) so I figured I'd try and throw something together. I came up with this list and was hoping to get some help.
Talk hit get poo poo

You're playing BR and Olivia Voldaren is not one of the listed cards. Please amend asap.

Frankly I feel you should focus more on your 4-cmc 6/6 flying trampling commander being able to take someone out in four swings more than anything involving those swings reducing cost, because that should just be a bonus for this giant dude kicking rear end rather than the A plan.

Also Gut Shot. Probably mandatory.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You're playing BR and Olivia Voldaren is not one of the listed cards. Please amend asap.

Frankly I feel you should focus more on your 4-cmc 6/6 flying trampling commander being able to take someone out in four swings more than anything involving those swings reducing cost, because that should just be a bonus for this giant dude kicking rear end rather than the A plan.

Also Gut Shot. Probably mandatory.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to retool it towards that, there's lots of nasty enchantments & burn spells in BR and I figure I should focus more on the aggro aspect than the ramp aspect. Cutting the creatures in half sounds about right?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Seems like the ramp is for getting him back on the table reliably every time he gets removed so I dunno. I'd keep the ramp and the burn and minimize everything else.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think your first priority should be cutting the weaker cards(things like Abyssal Specter, Titan's Strength, Shock, Magnetic Theft), and replace them with more powerful cards and a couple more lands.

Also you have Abyssal Specter listed twice.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

homerlaw posted:

Talk hit get poo poo

With that many creatures I am surprised you don't have a Purphoros. Also, Massacre Wurm?

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
I'm looking to start putting together my first commander deck and was looking for some advice. Figuring out 100 different cards to fill a deck is much more daunting than I originally thought.

I opened a Keranos the other week and on Monday during a conspiracy draft I picked up Dack and Dack's duplicate. Originally I was going to use Keranos as the commander, but then I saw Marchesa and was thinking of doing a grixis deck to throw in some return from the graveyard tricks.

I only started really looking into this last night but if anyone knows of some cards or combos that I should throw in, that would be awesome.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

DarkRider09 posted:

I'm looking to start putting together my first commander deck and was looking for some advice. Figuring out 100 different cards to fill a deck is much more daunting than I originally thought.

I opened a Keranos the other week and on Monday during a conspiracy draft I picked up Dack and Dack's duplicate. Originally I was going to use Keranos as the commander, but then I saw Marchesa and was thinking of doing a grixis deck to throw in some return from the graveyard tricks.

I only started really looking into this last night but if anyone knows of some cards or combos that I should throw in, that would be awesome.

I'd pull up Gatherer and look up any cards with Undying and Persist. I'd also go ahead and order yourself a Cauldron of Souls right away.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

DarkRider09 posted:

I guess we would have to know what kind of deck you are aiming for? Grixis has a lot of really cool commanders that are a ton of fun to play (I play Nekusar).

I would definitely put in Purphoros, Grave Betrayal and Dictate of Erebos. Those cards will work wonders with Marchesa.

I'd probably look at Jace MA, Dark Prophecy, Unspeakable Symbol, Sphinx of Magosi, Leyline of Anticipation and then all the tutors you can afford.

Edit: BHSman what are your thoughts on Coercive Portal for the Tajic Deck? I know you helped with mine, and when I saw this card I've been thinking of trying it with Tajic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

Thanks, that does look really fun. Have the Mono-G list for Omnath, which I secretly think might be more fun running Baru as its general (all your ramp is now miniature Overruns, you're less of an obvious threat).

Haven't had as much chance to test this in the wilds as I'd like, but it does really well as long as you aggressively mull for lands. Once it gets up to 5-6 mana it does its thing pretty damned well. Explorer's Scope should be Hurricane, and I'm going to go make that edit right now, actually.

If you're playing an Omnath deck that gives a poo poo about things that aren't hitting people in the face you're doing it wrong. You want to ramp hard, ramp fast, and punch the poo poo out of a guy. Your solution to putting the target of Omnath on your back should be "Who the gently caress cares, you'll all be dead before you can do anything?" I'm talking hardcast Ulamog turn five, multikick Wolfbriar Elemental for a bazillion, Whispersilk Cloak on Omnath and swing for Commander Lethal turn four. Leave it all to luck because who cares, everything will kill them.

Pussies.