Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
When you create an anti-pope, is there an easy way to get rid of him? I kinda wanna beg the real pope for thousands of gold again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

People have already covered the invasion stuff, so I'll just point out it's suboptimal to have your wife be spymaster unless she has like double the stats of the next candidate. Your wife adds half her stats to your state value no matter what she's doing, so you could have a spymaster on top of that if it was someone else.

Unless, of course, you want rid of your wife. Sending her to spy on That Vassal that has already killed two of your spymasters is an easy way to get rid of her.

This game has turned me into a horrible monster.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This game has turned me into a horrible monster.

That's the personal journey of playing CK, you start abstaining from murder whenever possible, the first time you murder a child for your own benefit, you have to take a second to think about what you did. Just yesterday I murdered two of my children for being ugly. This game makes monsters of us all.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Thanks for the tips. Also if I own more than one holding in my capital, would some of the non capital baronies split off too? If I could build up a super Kiev and know it'll stick with me, that'd be really good.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
After a few tries, the Karen Satrapy is going well. Because everything is being Holy Warred from muslims, I have manually placed almost every lord in the realm, so almost everyone has just one province, and nobody has a duchy, which makes the elections rather easy. A few lucky ones have two provinces, at opposite ends of the kingdom. The poor Saffarids have been almost annihilated, thanks to a series of assassination plots leaving them almost constantly with a child ruler.

My last ruler lived to 72, and she became known as 'the Wicked' for killing so many brothers that were being favoured by factions. Her niece heir was a genius with all the right stats, who died of pneumonia at age 17 :negative:

The Byzantines and Abbasids are going strong, so further expansion in Persia is going to be tricky. In other news, the Holy Roman Empire was formed by Karlmann Karling and also holds most of Italy, Naverre was somehow taken over by the Welsh, and England is populated by Norse Catholics. Cumania has somehow turned Orthodox.

e: Actually, the Abbasids are not going strong. It looks like despite being Caliph, their decadence got too high and a rebel called Ramadan took over the Arabian Empire and the Caliphate. Now the Abbasids are revolting for independence and the grandson of Caliph Al-Mu'tazz (the starting guy) is leading his own invasion for the Empire. Aaand the Tulunids have turned Ibadi and split between Egypt and Arabia :psyduck:

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 11, 2014

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I'm playing again for the first time in over two years and my first game is an easy one as Sicily. I have the kingdom along with a large amount of North Africa. I really want to expand into upper Italy to form the empire, but the HRE has gotten massive and is so ridiculously stable.

I have claims on several duchies in northern Italy but I can't press them ever because there's never an opportunity with the HRE being whole and having 3x my military. I plotted until the emperor of the HRE because a 10 year old kid with 3 diplomacy but not a single vassal of his went into the negative opinion wise.

How do I get northern Italy? I can not destablize the HRE for the life of me. Is there a way for me to offer vassalage to the HRE so I can start making factions and plotting from within? I'm frustrated because the main muslim opponents are the Fatamids which are absurdly big as well.

Edit: Why is the HRE so ridiculously stable? I haven't played in so long but I can't remember if this is normal or not.

Wegee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 11, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

That's the personal journey of playing CK, you start abstaining from murder whenever possible, the first time you murder a child for your own benefit, you have to take a second to think about what you did. Just yesterday I murdered two of my children for being ugly. This game makes monsters of us all.

And then eventually you start abstaining from murder because, hey my guy has kind and just so he probably wouldn't stab this 8 year old just to nullify a treaty

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wegee posted:

I'm playing again for the first time in over two years and my first game is an easy one as Sicily. I have the kingdom along with a large amount of North Africa. I really want to expand into upper Italy to form the empire, but the HRE has gotten massive and is so ridiculously stable.

I have claims on several duchies in northern Italy but I can't press them ever because there's never an opportunity with the HRE being whole and having 3x my military. I plotted until the emperor of the HRE because a 10 year old kid with 3 diplomacy but not a single vassal of his went into the negative opinion wise.

How do I get northern Italy? I can not destablize the HRE for the life of me. Is there a way for me to offer vassalage to the HRE so I can start making factions and plotting from within? I'm frustrated because the main muslim opponents are the Fatamids which are absurdly big as well.

Edit: Why is the HRE so ridiculously stable? I haven't played in so long but I can't remember if this is normal or not.

Ally with France and tag team them into the floor.

Alternatively, save up all your money and hire a bunch of mercs, leave a bait stack in the Alps and let the HRE kill itself. The HRE might be 3 times bigger than you, but the AI is too dumb to send its whole army at you at once.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Are you guys playing the base game or the Historical Immersion Project? I understand that CK2+ is no longer being updated so I'm curious as to what people are playing nowadays.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ofaloaf posted:

And yeah, having him appear when he's born rather then when he started preaching is a little... eh. The event chain is dependent upon him specifically, and having him start as a newborn babe means he's susceptible to all the childhood ills, events for death, etc., not to mention the 30+ years before the religious events kick off when a player could assassinate a kid and just kill off the events like that.

You appear not to understand. The intent of the mod makers is to have Islam fail to form.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ofaloaf posted:

And yeah, having him appear when he's born rather then when he started preaching is a little... eh. The event chain is dependent upon him specifically, and having him start as a newborn babe means he's susceptible to all the childhood ills, events for death, etc., not to mention the 30+ years before the religious events kick off when a player could assassinate a kid and just kill off the events like that.

That weird stuff is in the regular game too. Genghis Khan hangs around in a random Cumanian court if you start before the Mongol bookmark. There should be a tag in histories that means a character doesn't even exist until a certain date, but alas.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

You appear not to understand. The intent of the mod makers is to have Islam fail to form.

That seems more to be the intent of a couple of intensely stupid people with no connection to the project, notably that guy whining about "historical streamlining" in his alt history simulator. The modmaker for his part seems to be more interested in letting weird poo poo happen, in the vein of Genghis Khan converting to Zoroastrianism.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 11, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does any modder know what .csv the descriptions for religions are in? I'm trying to find the descriptions so I can write similar types for Wodenism and the other Germanic pagans but there's so many lines of text... :negative:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I started playing on the earliest scenario on the Game of Thrones mod. Is there an event for the invasion of the 7 kingdoms? It feels weird to just see Aegon up there, chillin'.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Veryslightlymad posted:

So I started playing on the earliest scenario on the Game of Thrones mod. Is there an event for the invasion of the 7 kingdoms? It feels weird to just see Aegon up there, chillin'.

Not on the earliest setting, that's intended as a gently caress around with independent kingdoms scenario. I think the Targaryens still get a claim on the Iron Throne if you manage to form it though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, seriously? drat. I should restart, then.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Has CK2Plus been updated for Rajas, or is it pretty much dead?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Does any modder know what .csv the descriptions for religions are in? I'm trying to find the descriptions so I can write similar types for Wodenism and the other Germanic pagans but there's so many lines of text... :negative:

I looked in v2_10.csv, that's got Hindu etc.

hindu_DESC;Hinduism is not a single religion so much as a blanket term for the successor faiths of ancient Indian polytheism as recorded in the Vedas. The existence of many different sects within Hinduism - as well as millennia of relatively peaceful co-existence with Jainism and Buddhism - has made the Hindu faith remarkably tolerant and pluralistic toward all Indian religions. Still, it is the most warlike of the three. Defining features in-game:\n§Y*§! There is no religious head\n§Y*§! Caste Traits matter greatly\n§Y*§!

etc

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blarghalt posted:

Dead for now, though there are apparently people trying to revive it again.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

Dead for now, though there are apparently people trying to revive it again.

Though they are still using the bad map so maybe its better off dead

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Blarghalt posted:

There's a Rajas-playable dev version with a weird random CTD bug we're trying to track down, but we haven't updated the Alternate Bookmarks (Shattered World, etc.) and a few of the other submods yet.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is why I always make a point of taking over neighboring countries even if I don't want the territory and then hand them off to a relative. Blood alliances survive multiple generations!

You can do it through marriage and stabbing, too, if that's easier.

Yeh I tend to give kingdoms to relatives as well (may only be Turkestan but it's a start) but it just doesn't quite catch the magic of a friendship spanning generations. Playing Karen and having the Yabguids rush to help you defend in a war against invading muslims and then later returning the favour when the Cumanians eye up the Yabguids makes me all warm and fuzzy as opposed to "oh we're related I guess I HAVE to help"

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
Who's a really fun vassal to play as? I've always played as independents right off the start. Looking for someone who's relatively strong. Want to try forming factions and usurping my liege maybe.

Edit: Either 867 or 1066 start

Wegee fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 11, 2014

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Like the above, but what's a fun India start in 867? I just don't want to play any of the big three Rajas.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Torrannor posted:

Is that true of all county conquests or only if you conquer other Welsh provinces?

I just took an Anglo-Saxon county in a county conquest and it gave me all the holdings, so I guess it's only for Welsh culture counties that it doesn't do it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

I just took an Anglo-Saxon county in a county conquest and it gave me all the holdings, so I guess it's only for Welsh culture counties that it doesn't do it.

It's still strange but luckily there aren't very many Welsh counties.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

During the second earliest start, there are events for the invasion.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Like Fishbot said, second bookmark. It's pretty boring though, since the Dragon Conquest CB that dragon riders get it outrageously overpowered (as are dragons themselves); once you've unleashed your dragon against a city or enemy army, all further people you invade might just randomly surrender before you even get your troops to them.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

Wegee posted:

Who's a really fun vassal to play as? I've always played as independents right off the start. Looking for someone who's relatively strong. Want to try forming factions and usurping my liege maybe.

I kind of enjoy starting as one of the vassals in Northumberland during the 867 start. I usually claim independence during the Jorvik invasion to avoid an instant Game Over and then swear fealty to either Jorvik if you want to try Catholic under Norse (I love eating them from the inside) or one of the other Catholic realms (Scotland is already a Kingdom so you can get a Duke level title).

I have also tried starting small inside Bavaria, but I find breaking out from under the Karlings to be such a pain in the butt. I have already gotten to the point where I controlled half the HRE, but still got stomped when West Francia/Italy got called in.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wegee posted:

One of my most fun games was starting as Duke of Athens and working my way up to King of Greece and then Bizzantine Emperor. The faction game is loads of fun when you are part of a big empire.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wegee posted:

Duchy of Tuscany in 1066 is a solid vassal start.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Quick muslim questions:

Sunni Islam gets the 2 schools and associated traits, does Shia Islam get anything similar? (Also do any of the Islamic Heresies get anything fun?)

What are the criteria for Hashshashins to come about?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geokinesis posted:

Quick muslim questions:

Sunni Islam gets the 2 schools and associated traits, does Shia Islam get anything similar? (Also do any of the Islamic Heresies get anything fun?)

What are the criteria for Hashshashins to come about?

I don't know about Sunni heresies, but Shia Islam doesn't get anything in exchange for not having the two schools.

Per CK2wiki (http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Warfare):

Hashashin

-Year is at least 1089
-Alamut holding has no holder
-Dailam province has less than 5 settlements

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Well my Zoroastrian game is winding to a close, and it marks the first time I've ever managed to play to the end. This has been quite an interesting game, all things considered. The overall history of the world is so hosed up from usual. I saw the AI form not only the HRE but also Britannia, Shia islam controlled France for most of the game, and the new culture mechanics mean everyone speaks either Persian, German, English, or Mongol. I swear during my conquests of the Muslim world culture spread at least as fast as religion. Some other highlights include Zoroastrian Scandinavia, the HRE inheriting the Byzantines (I must have assassinated twenty Kaisers trying to correct this but they destroyed the title somehow), Ibadi beating out Sunni, the complete lack of Orthodoxy, and the Tengri reformation. Things were kind of boring towards the middle, but after the Shia had been pushed out of France there was a lot of contention for Greece (which had been won in the only Zoroastrian Great Holy War) so I had to support them quite a bit. This support lead to my second to the last ruler getting knocked unconscious, and despite my Regent having 100 opinion of me, she lowered crown authority and began stealing my titles. In response I imprisoned her children, her children's children, and her parents. Unfortunately she rebelled before my ruler died, but all that meant was she spent the rest of her days in house arrest while everyone she ever knew and loved suffered in the oubliette.

Some maps:
Political:

Culture:

Religion:

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Like the above, but what's a fun India start in 867? I just don't want to play any of the big three Rajas.

I thought the Kingdom of Lambakana was an interesting start, if a bit on the slow side. You're an indo-aryan culture surrounded by small Dravidian cultured dukes and kings. This means you can't use the subjugation CB on your neighbors at first, but on the flip side it means the large Dravidian empire to your north won't be able to use it on you either, and you won't share a border with the other indo-aryan states for a while. You can take your time playing the marriage and claimant game to take over the small southern Indian states until you you feel ready to take on the big three. You can also always change your capital to one of the Dravidian counties if you want to flip cultures.

One of the other minor independents in the South is can be fun in basically the same way, though you'll start as Dravidian and be able to use the subjugation CB on your neighbors (and have it used on you) earlier.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Unreformed Norse with tanistry succession and longbow archer retinues is a hell of a thing. I wonder if its actually worth it to reform the faith.

My only real problem is that Jorvik/York is the only county that can actually make boats, so I can't go raiding much.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MrBling posted:

Unreformed Norse with tanistry succession and longbow archer retinues is a hell of a thing. I wonder if its actually worth it to reform the faith.

My only real problem is that Jorvik/York is the only county that can actually make boats, so I can't go raiding much.

You want to reform eventually. Not being able to demand conversion, having other religions converting your guys, and having a tiny chance of converting any provinces all end up being very annoying as time goes on.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Shadeoses posted:

I looked in v2_10.csv, that's got Hindu etc.

hindu_DESC;Hinduism is not a single religion so much as a blanket term for the successor faiths of ancient Indian polytheism as recorded in the Vedas. The existence of many different sects within Hinduism - as well as millennia of relatively peaceful co-existence with Jainism and Buddhism - has made the Hindu faith remarkably tolerant and pluralistic toward all Indian religions. Still, it is the most warlike of the three. Defining features in-game:\n§Y*§! There is no religious head\n§Y*§! Caste Traits matter greatly\n§Y*§!

etc

Thank you. Probably means the other ones are in the earlier versions.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DStecks posted:

When are state stats the ones that come into play, vs. the personal stats? That's something I've never been very clear on.

Personal stats affect stuff like event choices and relations with people in your court, the state effects are, I believe:
State Diplomacy - Every second point increases other character's (unless they're in your court) opinion of you by 1.
State Martial - Every point increases arrest chance. Also maybe troop morale?
State Stewardship - Every point increases the income from your demesne by 2%.
State Intrigue - Every point makes discovering plots more likely and increases assassination chance.
State Learning - uh, I am not sure anymore, it used to affect tech before TOG.

That's going to bug me now, I will ask someone tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SeaTard posted:

You want to reform eventually. Not being able to demand conversion, having other religions converting your guys, and having a tiny chance of converting any provinces all end up being very annoying as time goes on.

Not least because wrong religion keeps the revolt risk higher. And fighting the 45th Catholic revolt gets old.

• Locked thread