Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Velius posted:

Given how the pace of this thread has dropped to nothing I'm guessing I'm not the only one losing patience.

Pact has just been "meh" so far to me. I'm hoping that something totally awesome happens when Blake finishes off Conquest and we can get this story loving going again. I've been hugely disappointed with the Conquest arc so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'll admit, it does kind of feel like the story's been jogging in place for a while now.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I am enjoying the story but it does sort of feel like Blake is running on a treadmill - lots of action but not getting ahead.

Edit: which, ultimately, could be the entire point. It has been hammered home that his situation is pretty much hopeless. If it goes on too much longer (and I don't think it will, as the Conquest arc is coming to a close and I anticipate a paradigm shift with the conclusion of that) Pact is going to really suffer I think.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Treadmill is a really good way to describe things. Blake is always right on the edge of falling off the treadmill, and seems to have exhausted the list of things he can easily do during this part of the story. The constant tension seems different from the perpetual "you're-boned"ness of Worm, but in a way I'm having trouble putting my finger on. Maybe it is what someone said upthread -- that we haven't gotten any downtime for the characters to be themselves without DOOOOOOOOOOM hanging over their heads.

Edit: Here's hoping the Conquest arc ends with him claiming Toronto as his demesne.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Grundulum posted:

Treadmill is a really good way to describe things. Blake is always right on the edge of falling off the treadmill, and seems to have exhausted the list of things he can easily do during this part of the story. The constant tension seems different from the perpetual "you're-boned"ness of Worm, but in a way I'm having trouble putting my finger on. Maybe it is what someone said upthread -- that we haven't gotten any downtime for the characters to be themselves without DOOOOOOOOOOM hanging over their heads.

Edit: Here's hoping the Conquest arc ends with him claiming Toronto as his demesne.

And rose getting the house and small town. Dual storyline action would be neat.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Virigoth posted:

And rose getting the house and small town. Dual storyline action would be neat.

My theory on rose is that grandma put her in place to take over but not before all the other heirs (Blake and Molly anyway) soak up as much bad karma as possible while she gets time to setup. How it actually works out though...

Agreed that the Toronto arc has started to drag a bit.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I still like it. It would have been nice if it just ended when Blake did his three tasks for Conquest and moved on. I hope this is the last chapter for the arc, but I'll keep reading it!

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

RC Cola posted:

I still like it. It would have been nice if it just ended when Blake did his three tasks for Conquest and moved on. I hope this is the last chapter for the arc, but I'll keep reading it!

Agreed. I want Blake to learn and explore the world. The setting is the most interesting part of Pact so far. I guess he needs to get free from the constant attacks for such a thing to be possible which hopefully is what happens at the climax. Laird and Conquest get defeated leaving Blake in an uneasy peace with the rest of Jacob's Bell.

Grandma Rose stated in the flash back that the mirror image the Barber created would be her heir's protection rather than some trick, or at least that is how I read it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not to mention Blake has saved himself twice (maybe more?) doing the same thing, challenging his enemy to a fairer contest. When he did it this arc, getting three days of rest from Conquest I was like "really? again?" the first time kinda made sense, but this one was so dumb, it really let me down.

I mean, it's still good and I'll keep reading it, but I'm starting to fear we'll never get our Leviathan moment.

As someone else said, Pact would probably improve a bunch by an arc or two of down time, with Blake exploring the setting a bit and setting up a plot to take advantage of, later.

Worm did a great job at developing the setting as you went along. Lots of names and powers where dropped out of nowhere, that later would become actual characters you could inmediately identify after hearing about them in passing.

I want Blake and Evan to basically roam the world and fight demons, like Supernatural, but good.

edit: quote=/= spoiler. Derp.

Hugoon Chavez fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 11, 2014

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Worm was mainly about the characters, every side character had a name and a backstory, and it was about them as much as Taylor, Pact doesn't seem half as character-driven, the only real people we care about yet are Blake, Rose, Evan and maybe Laird. Fell is out of the picture already and none of the others have really grabbed my attention, Worm had so many I'm not even gonna list them.

Maybe it's partly because of the different way he decided to do interludes, Grandma Roses diary instead of the inner musings of the hero/villain of the week, (There have been a couple of character ones, I know, but not half as many as Worm!) or maybe he's working up to something.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yeah, I think that's about right. He appears to have skipped or compressed a bit, if we use Worm as an analogue. Virtually all of Worm arc's 11-23 were action, but it was preceded by a good solid foundation of building the world and the characters before Leviathan set things up and exploded it.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I like the point about character-driven narrative. I was hoping that Blake's friends getting inducted would help with that, but they pretty much did a total of about nothing and then got shot or bled unconscious.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pavlov posted:

I like the point about character-driven narrative. I was hoping that Blake's friends getting inducted would help with that, but they pretty much did a total of about nothing and then got shot or bled unconscious.

Making it pretty drat necessary that they come back soon. They were one of the grounding forces for us readers. Since it looks increasingly likely that Blake *is* the rare genius-level talent with magic -- the kind of intellect and instinct that completely understands things on (or before) the first time they come up -- Blake's friends were our window into the system from a layman's point of view. The chapter or two spent awakening them was really interesting, and I think Pact could use some more of that.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

My favorite parts of Worm were the early bits and the interludes. Once the action really started going it almost became monotonous, particularly late in the S9 arc and its immediate aftermath. Pact so far is more like the parts of Worm I didn't like.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, late in Worm I just started skipping large parts of the action, without feeling like I lost anything. Worm should be really great after an editor gets to it though.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man, Blake is a walking corpse basically. Made up by pieces of ghosts, demons, others and his friends. Held together by magic glue and a bird.

That is an interesting bit about him.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Jesus christ that was a bad chapter to be a Behaim in.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Now the question is whether Blake will be forsworn, or if his promise was vague enough to weasel out of it.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Pavlov posted:

Now the question is whether Blake will be forsworn, or if his promise was vague enough to weasel out of it.

Pretty sure that would be easy enough to weasel out of, especially with the modifier of "if I can help it."

Either way, this chapter is a good step forward is seeing resolution for the whole Conquest ordeal.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have to say, at the moment the only thing I come out of most updates really thinking is 'Evan's awesome I hope Wildbow doesn't go all GRRM on him'. Seriously, egging the ghouls, skipping to the end, little dude's the best thing about Pact, and knowing Wildbow it's all going to go HORRIBLY wrong for him somehow :ohdear:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pavlov posted:

Blake can't be forsworn in the same way your main character in a superhero story can't lose their superpowers.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Remind me why he'd be forsworn?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Pact posted:

“I promise I won’t hurt your Uncle Laird too badly. I won’t kill him, if I can help it. But Duncan may well die without help.”

Did he hurt Laird "too badly"? Does the "if I can help it" apply to the previous sentence? Could he have helped it?

We really haven't seen how the spirits interpret ambiguously worded promises like this.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I've been waiting for Conquest to finally attempt to use Blake's past trauma's against him. I've been pretty sure it wouldn't turn out the way Conquest was imagining it would for a while.

Not super happy that Blake was raped, but it's been looking like that was what happened for a while.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Jon Irenicus posted:

Pretty sure that would be easy enough to weasel out of, especially with the modifier of "if I can help it."

Either way, this chapter is a good step forward is seeing resolution for the whole Conquest ordeal.

Somehow I don't think the spirits will take "I made a good faith effort to save him" as an excuse.

RIP Laird.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh poo poo Laird is dead, Conquest is trapped in the mirror world and everyone got a good dose of Pauz radiation. That was crazy.

Also what was with Lairds eye? The Eraser demon from the shard of wood or something else?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I am wondering if Laird had been possessed for awhile now. Maybe even intentionally trying to push Blake to use demons.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
What was the deal with the shard of wood, btw? I don't remember that from the ErasUrr eps.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
While I'm glad that the Conquest arc is over (it was starting to really drag), the ending didn't feel earned to me. Sure, the Chekhov's gun was introduced in the opposites-binding data dumps, but it's like (to continue the gun metaphor) that he didn't reload the Checkhov's gun before he used it again. The hair and demon pages were just kinda tacked on at the end to make his super-secret plan come --suprise!-- into being, but they didn't describe those things being set up. Even if we, as the readers, didn't know what they were doing while they were setting it up, it should still have been described during the events.

thespaceinvader posted:

What was the deal with the shard of wood, btw? I don't remember that from the ErasUrr eps.
I don't either. I have no idea.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Blasphemeral, you hit on exactly the point I wanted to make about this chapter. Pact seems vastly worse than Worm about doing this sort of thing.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty sure that's the shard fell/conquest gives him to find eraser to begin with.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

builds character posted:

Pretty sure that's the shard fell/conquest gives him to find eraser to begin with.

I think Wildbow edited the last paragraph of 7.6, because I was much less confused on a reread. You're correct.

Also noticed on this reread: right before the second vision of the (edit:future) past, Evan flies at Laird and causes him to scream. I think we're supposed to infer that Evan pecked Laird in the eye -- which would leave a red prick and a whole lotta bloodshot from the irritation. It's unlikely that Laird was possessed, as was suggested upthread. I'm torn over whether I think Wildbow is being too clever in this regard. On the one hand, it's the kind of thing that's interesting to pick up on a reread. On the other hand, I feel like this one was a bit too difficult to get.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 19, 2014

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I've been enjoying pact so far but I agree that this arc has been dragging, and in particular the payoff for this chapter was pretty lame. Blake was just about to lose, then he was seriously about to lose, then he was mere moments from losing, and then all of a sudden he won, and I didn't really understand how we got to that point. I guess Conquest went into the mirror because he randomly decided that he needed to subdue Rose as well, instead of just bitching Blake some more, and then he was somehow bound in the mirror because of reasons?

It would definitely be good if Blake had an arc of down time where he could recover, learn a bit more, and we could see what he's like as a character without him constantly scrabbling for solutions and running on fumes.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Coca Koala posted:

I've been enjoying pact so far but I agree that this arc has been dragging, and in particular the payoff for this chapter was pretty lame. Blake was just about to lose, then he was seriously about to lose, then he was mere moments from losing, and then all of a sudden he won, and I didn't really understand how we got to that point. I guess Conquest went into the mirror because he randomly decided that he needed to subdue Rose as well, instead of just bitching Blake some more, and then he was somehow bound in the mirror because of reasons?

It would definitely be good if Blake had an arc of down time where he could recover, learn a bit more, and we could see what he's like as a character without him constantly scrabbling for solutions and running on fumes.

Conquest is driven to dominate what he deems weak.
Blake was showing (false) bravado, he went after weaker targets.

The flow did feel a bit off, this is one of those moments when the detective reveals what happened and why but we got an end of chapter instead.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

Hopefully this is the setup for that now. I just went back and reread and the contest won't end until Conquest dies or surrenders. Since he can't die he'll have to surrender. They also never established what Blake got if he won, hopefully he'll be able to demand his freedom and protection so he can return to Jacob's Bell without constant attacks.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Lyon posted:

Hopefully this is the setup for that now. I just went back and reread and the contest won't end until Conquest dies or surrenders. Since he can't die he'll have to surrender. They also never established what Blake got if he won, hopefully he'll be able to demand his freedom and protection so he can return to Jacob's Bell without constant attacks.

This whole contest, actually, is similar in theme to a demesne contest. He got all the major players in Toronto either on his side or against him and then won. It'd be really cool if he could claim a large portion of Toronto as a demesne because of this nonsense.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Blasphemeral posted:

This whole contest, actually, is similar in theme to a demesne contest. He got all the major players in Toronto either on his side or against him and then won. It'd be really cool if he could claim a large portion of Toronto as a demesne because of this nonsense.

That would be pretty boss, and take the Conquest mirror as his implement hah.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Blasphemeral posted:

I don't think any of the major players in Toronto were on Blake's side. Fell was the only native on Blake's side, and he wasn't exactly a major player. Everyone else was either neutral (e.g. the priest of Dionysus) or opposed to Blake (Astrologer, the Eye, etc.). If anything this should strengthen Blake's claim of demesne.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Grundulum posted:

I don't think any of the major players in Toronto were on Blake's side. Fell was the only native on Blake's side, and he wasn't exactly a major player. Everyone else was either neutral (e.g. the priest of Dionysus) or opposed to Blake (Astrologer, the Eye, etc.). If anything this should strengthen Blake's claim of demesne.

Yeah, his argument could be, "Hey, you had a puppet dictator, and I took him away. Why not accept me as the new puppet dictator, and enjoy your status quo?"

It would totally work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Then two days later an inquisitor walks into his house and shoots him in the head.

• Locked thread