Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone remember this is guy and the old anti-smoking PSAs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Supes hurled the dude into outer space? Man, that'd straight up murder a normal drug dealer and he doesn't give a single poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it was metaphorically also a sexual harassment PSA.

"Suck my cigarettes!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Supes hurled the dude into outer space? Man, that'd straight up murder a normal drug dealer and he doesn't give a single poo poo.

As someone with really bad asthma when younger, I suggest we should lessen his sentence and just drop him more or less naked on Apokolips.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

DisMafugga posted:

X-Men, Vol. 1, No. 51 (April, 1996)

y'know Beast there are subtler ways to get into a commuter train

given that two out of three of the team can pass

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like to think that's just Gambit's default method of entering anywhere. "Here, let me get that door for you sir" "Nah I'm good" BOOM

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was the artist told to draw a monkey or the world's smallest black man caricature? Or are those two things one and the same for him?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lobok posted:

Was the artist told to draw a monkey or the world's smallest black man caricature? Or are those two things one and the same for him?

I decided to believe it's an accidentally-too-human drawing of a monkey. Better than the alternative.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Lobok posted:

Why are the kids so happy to see all three of those horrible people? :psyduck:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I have a two part Starfire vs Apartheid comic book

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That reminds me of the story arc where the Outsiders split from Batman and one of their first actions is to fight against Apartheid era South Africa.

Spoiler warning: It goes really badly for the team.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

Spoiler warning: It goes really badly for the team.
Never not a true statement regarding the Outsiders.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

redbackground posted:

Never not a true statement regarding the Outsiders.

It's true. Never have so many characters been pistol-whipped, chained up, imprisoned or just shot and buried in shallow graves in their own origin story.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

techknight posted:

Man, have you seen what a pack of cigarettes costs in NYC these days?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

techknight posted:

Because they caught a film noir detective film on TV and hence know that cigarettes are cool and Superman is a big, old stiff working for The Man.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Wolverine Vol. 1 No. 91 July 1995

In the 90s Wolverine tackled domestic violence the only way he knew how.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hilarious

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just once I'd like to see an action hero beating the poo poo out of a domestic abuser not end with the battered wife taking their husband's side. It's a really tired and reductive way to portray domestic abuse. Just once, I want her to cheer the hero on and kick the jackass in the ribs while he's down.

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 11, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

Just once I'd like to see an action hero beating the poo poo out of a domestic abuser not end with the battered wife taking their husband's side. It's a really tired and reductive way to portray domestic abuse. Just once, I want her to cheer the hero on and kick the jackass in the ribs while he's down.

I think there was another one with Wolverine like that. He's chilling up in Canada doing non-X-men stuff, trying to relax, and every night he hears his neighbor beating the hell out of his wife. He always comes home drunk as hell, just ready to fight. One night he comes home, Wolverine is there instead of the wife. Wolvie gets stabbed in the thigh but manages to scare the abuser off. Pretty sure the wife is grateful rather than crawling back to her abuser. I want to say he switched cabins or hotel rooms with her in the end.

This was shortly after he had the adamantium pulled out of him, IIRC.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I think there was another one with Wolverine like that. He's chilling up in Canada doing non-X-men stuff, trying to relax, and every night he hears his neighbor beating the hell out of his wife. He always comes home drunk as hell, just ready to fight. One night he comes home, Wolverine is there instead of the wife. Wolvie gets stabbed in the thigh but manages to scare the abuser off. Pretty sure the wife is grateful rather than crawling back to her abuser. I want to say he switched cabins or hotel rooms with her in the end.

This was shortly after he had the adamantium pulled out of him, IIRC.

That's when this issue takes place actually. He's on the grounds of the Xavier institute trying to get a grip on his regression into a feral state from the adamantium loss.

Superman pretty much broke every bone in the guy's body with that toss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DisMafugga posted:

Good.

Edit: I don't like the over all message that women need good men to protect them from bad men, but I'm not going to lose sleep over this.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 11, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I like that Superman's still in the middle of changing his clothes while busting into the house. "Excuse me sir, I'm here with the Daily Planet to KICK YOUR rear end"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DisMafugga posted:

From The Pro, but not sure which issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm going to check wikipedia for the author of that comic, I'm going to be very surprised if my guess is wrong.

E: Hahahaha.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Now we just need a panel of Wonder Woman beating up a wife who has been abusing her husband.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lobok posted:

Now we just need a panel of Wonder Woman beating up a wife who has been abusing her husband.

There's WW's "There's the door, spaceman" speech in New Frontier, but not really funny for this thread.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Uthor posted:

There's WW's "There's the door, spaceman" speech in New Frontier, but not really funny for this thread.

I'll have to check it out.

Though I guess considering the themes of Wonder Woman it'd probably be more appropriate for Wonder Woman to beat up a woman abusing her wife.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

Though I guess considering the themes of Wonder Woman it'd probably be more appropriate for Wonder Woman to beat tie up a woman abusing her wife.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

prefect posted:

From The Pro, but not sure which issue.

Okay, kinda curious now. Who is that lady character with the painful crotch kicks?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cangelosi posted:

Okay, kinda curious now. Who is that lady character with the painful crotch kicks?

She's a prostitute who is given powers by a voyeuristic alien on a whim, so that he can see how humans handle things. She even gets to join a Justice League analogue.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm pretty sure The Pro was an OGN, so there's only the one "issue".

Also it's not very good, Amanda Conner art notwithstanding.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Cangelosi posted:

It's a Garth Ennis, Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiotti book to it's core. They made an animated short from it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNRDGjjQwwE

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Pro is Ennis at his ugliest and most cynical. He's just a hair's breadth away from turning into Mark Millar there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

The Pro is Ennis at his ugliest and most cynical. He's just a hair's breadth away from turning into Mark Millar there.

She winds up sacrificing herself and saving the planet; that wasn't ugly or cynical at all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

prefect posted:

She winds up sacrificing herself and saving the planet; that wasn't ugly or cynical at all.

I meant the tone in general.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Such odd phrasing. What's that, Superman? I only caught the last thing you said. "Say yes to a cigarette"?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

qntm posted:

Such odd phrasing. What's that, Superman? I only caught the last thing you said. "Say yes to a cigarette"?

Don't throw salt in your eyes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

I dunno, from that video it looked pretty solidly tongue-in-cheek. I mean...it was crude and over-the-top, but it seemed like it lacked the weird, fetishistic sadism of your average Mark Millar stuff. The comic might be different, though, of course.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

qntm posted:

He's just trying out new pencil slogans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

qntm posted:

DON'T PUT MARBLES IN YOUR NOSE
PUT THEM IN THERE
DON'T PUT THEM IN THERE

• Locked thread