Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

One of the more amusing things to come out from both the Lakers and Knicks current season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I was definitely on the board last time, but here is Cantona assaulting a Palace fan with a flying kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFsW6vvBwHk

Mugabe
Dec 4, 2012

I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

It was this or a hilariously pisspoor dive gif.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

This as an example of something going well, watch Machida wiggle his hands around, drop them to his waist, launch into the air with a ridiculous hopping feint, and then put his foot right into the chin there. And this isn't against some punter either.

For the more humorous fare this:

Was perfect not just in it's fuckup but in the context of the entire season and the game that followed it. I mean, you gotta love a Super Bowl that starts that way and then goes downhill from there.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Lukas Podolski being shown up by someone with better ball control:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Probably one of the most iconic moments as a Scottish person from the past year, it basically sums up Scottish football as a whole.

Yeah that's Scotland actually managing to score a goal but being so loving flukey about it they might as well not have. :scotland:

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture
An amazing touchdown by a non-amazing person

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Since the world cup is coming up, here is Diana Ross's failure from the 1994 world cup opening.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

As a fan of both the CFL and the Saskatchewan Roughriders, this absolutely pains me to post but CFL.gif.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Poor quality gif, but it's this goal from Xabi Alonso.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

How about sports entertainment?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Greatest play in college football football sports history.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Greatest play in college football football sports history.

Smidge of context for this one for those who do not know, this was the last play of a pivotal rivalry game winner essentially went to the national title game. The team in red Alabama were expected to win and were trying the field goal to win and took forever to kick it so Auburn wouldn't have a chance they came up short and that's what happened.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Mexico's coach, at the time America's celebrating the liga mx title.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Pretty crappy quality but I couldn't find anything better.

Edit: And being a South Carolina fan, I am legally obligated to post this gif...

Jeremor fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 11, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I know I'm not the one that won, but we need a good Captain and Bailey has been with us for a long time. Perhaps bump him up a bit and give him a great leadership score?

(And maybe edit his coaching scores while you're at it so after he's done being our captain he can train our kids. :3:)

Bee attack in a Sri Lankha vs England test match:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 11, 2014

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Have some hockey gifs!

Jarkko Ruutu being Jarkko Ruutu.

It's a twin thing, you wouldn't understand.

In Sweden it's called fotboll.

The Patrik Stefan Trail of Tears.

Edit for answers:
1. 75 million: Exactly in the middle.
2. A: More seats for butts = $$$
3. Canada and Russia: Summit Series 2. Make it happen.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

McGavin posted:

Jarkko Ruutu being Jarkko Ruutu.

Aw man, I was just about to post this. It's probably my favourite .gif of all time. The full video is also worth watching. I believe Phaneuf (the guy getting tripped, for those who don't know) also got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the play.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Well, he was dropping his gloves.

These are great, and there's so many I haven't seen before.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Jeremor posted:

Edit: And being a South Carolina fan, I am legally obligated to post this gif...

I, as a Michigan State fan who took fiendish delight in this, feel that this also needs some perspective, especially for our non-Americans. On the previous play Michigan had gone for it on 4th down and the refs blew the spot, resulting in Michigan keeping possession while it should have gone to South Carolina. So on this play, after a long review, Jadeveon Clowney says 'gently caress it, it's our ball and I'm getting it back', blows through the middle untouched, levels Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson, who loses his helmet AND the ball, which Clowney scoops right up and proceeds to advance a few yards before the Michigan offense recovers and brings him down. South Carolina's offense takes the field and scores immediately to take the lead, and would eventually win.

sulovilen
May 6, 2013
Personal favorite? The GWG in 2011 IIHF WC semis by Mikael Granlund. Remember watching the match on TV and it taking me a moment to parse what had happened. This goal got into a stamp in Finland!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
:siren:Prediction Contest:siren:

I've decided to do something a little bit different this time, let's predict the actual real life World Cup that begins tomorrow! It'll take a month for the tournament to happen, and it usually takes me a month or so to play through a season.

Pick the first and second place teams in each of the eight groups, and then the winners of the knockout round matchups all the way to the final.

Scoring: Correctly predicting group winners and runners up at the Group Stage is worth 1 point each, getting a knockout round winner right is worth 2 points, a quarterfinal winner 4, a semifinal winner 8, and getting the champion correct is worth 16. You will not get points if you pick a team first in a group and they finish second, or vice versa, nor will you get points from that pick unless they advance to the final and win.

Tiebreaker: The number of goals scored by the World Cup winning team, not counting goals in penalty kick shootouts.

Example Brackets:

OR

quote:

Group Stage
Group A: Brazil, Croatia
Group B: Spain, Chile
Group C: Colombia, Cote D'Ivoire
Group D: Uruguay, England
Group E: France, Switzerland
Group F: Argentina, Bosnia
Group G: Germany, USA! USA! USA!
Group H: Russia, Belgium

Knockout Round
Brazil over Chile
Colombia over England
France over Bosnia
Germany over Belgium
Spain over Croatia
Uruguay over Cote D'Ivoire
Argentina over Switzerland
USA! USA! USA! over Russia

Quarterfinals
Brazil over Colombia
Germany over France
Uruguay over Spain
Argentina over USA

Semifinals
Brazil over Germany
Uruguay over Argentina

Final
Uruguay over Brazil 1-0 on a Luis Suarez handball goal. He is torn apart on the pitch, and Brazil invades Uruguay.

Uruguay scores 17 goals in their last month as a sovereign nation.

You can fill out a bracket here, take a screenshot, and post it as your entry, OR you can post it in plain text as in the example above.

Entries will be open until every group plays their first match, 11pm Monday, June 16

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 11, 2014

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

1) 90 million
2) A
3) Australia
and USA

As for a favorite sports gif, well, enjoy this gif from the latest Olympics:

e: Bracket:

Kilza fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 11, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hooray for brackets!

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013
Slightly NSFW

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
1) 85 million
2) A
3) Australia and USA

Baseball isn't my favourite sport but drat does it have its moments.

I know very little about the state of international football so here goes!

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Even when I'm being unrealistic about England it's just so they win the group. Hope you bite that cup, Luis!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Argentina is my soccor team of choice because they do well enough but still choke all the time so they'll never win a Cup. I'm glad you're in on my dream. :allears:

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Americans, take heart in that I think you'll probably do about as well as we do.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Group Stage
Group A: Brazil, Mexico
Group B: Spain, Chile
Group C: Colombia, Cote D'Ivoire
Group D: England, Italy
Group E: France, Switzerland
Group F: Argentina, Nigeria
Group G: Germany, Portugal
Group H: Belgium, Russia

Knockout Round
Brazil over Chile
Italy over Colombia
France over Nigeria
Germany over Russia
Spain over Mexico
England over Cote D'Ivoire
Argentina over Switzerland
Portugal over Belgium

Quarterfinals
Brazil over Italy
Germany over France
Spain over England
Argentina over Portugal

Semifinals
Brazil over Germany
Argentina over Spain

Final
Brazil over Argentina

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Argentina will score 17 goals to win the World Cup with a 3-2 victory over Germany.

Also forgot to vote so:

1: 75 million
2: A Call it the Owain Glyndŵr Memorial and make visiting English fans sit there.
3: Canada and Germany

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

You know, the only blot on my Something Awful rap sheet was toxxing myself over a World Cup prediction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amhazair
Feb 13, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Netherlands

Oof! Ballsy prediction. (Not to use the words plain stupid, since I'm not a judgemental person. So, ballsy it is...)

I'll go with

A: Brazil, Croatia
B: Spain, Chile
C: Colombia, Japan
D: Italy, England
E: France, Switzerland
F: Argentina, Nigeria
G: Germany, Portugal
H: BELGIUM/BELGIË/BELGIQUE/BELGIEN, Russia

First knockout round:

Brazil beats Chile
England beats Colombia
France beats Nigeria
Germany beats Russia
Spains beats Croatia
Italy beats Japan
Argentina beats Switzerland
Belgium beats Portugal (Hopefully. Won't be easy but it's the minimum for a succesfull tournament in my opinion)

Quarters:

Brazil beats England
France beats Germany
Spain beats Italy
Argentina beats Belgium*

Semi's:

Brazil beats France
Argentina beats Spain

Final:

Argentina beats Brazil

Tiebreaker: Argentina scores an incredible 24 goals on the way to the cup. Aguero, Messi and Higuain are tied three-ways for topscorer with 7 goals each.

* That's the game I've been looking forward to/dreading since the draw. It's the real test of Belgium's credentials. There's a lot of quality in this Belgium team, but there are some flaws too** and while some of the qualifying matches were drat impressive (away to Croatia especilly) we haven't faced a true top nation in a match that mattered for ages so it'll be really intresting to see how strong we really are. And I'm afraid we'll fall short of the very best. (But wait till 2016! We'll see who'll be laughing then!)

All this is mixed up with some slightly divided loyalties since I'm half Argentinian too (my mom's from over there) and while I really consider myself Belgian through and through my real intrest in fooball was born when I was twelve and on holliday with family there at the time Argentina was winning the '91 Copa America. (Breakthrough tournament of a young Batistuta. Ah, the memories...) The whole vibe and emotion thing surrounding football was new to me, and quite a revelation for the young me who until then only really watched football because some school buddies liked it too.

But hey, on the bright side (if this match comes to pass at least) it will leave me with someone to root for when us Belgians are kicked out, right?

** I could write a lengthy essay about it, but this probably isn't the best place for it.

• Locked thread