Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

trouser chili posted:

Pulling my hair out here. I can't find a pitman arm for a 1976 Chevy Nova, base six cylinder. The closest I got was RareParts part number RP20872. According to O'Reilly auto, this part fits a shitload of different year Pontiac Firebirds and Chevy Camaros as well as the 1976 Chevy Nova. They also want $220 for it. gently caress that. According to Amazon, it's actually for manual steering only. My Nova is power steering. Are pitman arms kinda universal or what? Perhaps I'm overthinking this.
Unless something is severely wrong, the play is in the steering box sector shaft bearing (I bet the seal right below it is leaking like a sieve...) or the TRE on the drag link or crossover link where it attaches to the pitman arm. Pitman arms are forged steel and as long as the nuts were tightened properly there is almost no way to damage one. I've seen them literally shear the sector shaft off the box without ever damaging the arm.

Since they also said idler arm, I bet either the box and idler bearings are all shot, or the TREs are junk by now, or both. Get a friend to waggle the wheel and see what's flopping around.

E: there are three kinds of wagoneer. hosed up haggard parts-only ones for 500 bucks, decent drivers being sold for the price of the axles to some dick who will scrap the rest (when they should be putting 8 lug fullsize axles under it :getin::banjo:) and fully restored ones for $45k on wagonmasters, intended for incredibly rich people to fill a hole in their souls with by reliving their childhood.

Whoever runs wagonmasters is making out like a bandit.

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I've always wanted a full size jeep. I blame the xj I used to drive.

To contribute to age chat - I'm 28, fat, drunk, stupid and yet relatively happy. After seven years in EMS, I've learned to appreciate what little time we have on this rock. I'm working on the fat drunk part, which has become easier after a career change.

Now I need to pay off my student loans so I can have more money to spend on the house, garage and projects occupying them.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

Well gently caress. Funny story though. Buddy of mine was building a Scout and wanted to use a beefier IH truck steering box. Anyway, he got it bolted to the frame and all hooked up only to realize the full size truck boxes spin the other way. Turn the wheel left, Scout goes right. Spin it right, Scout goes left. I tried to get him to leave it that way since it was a trail rig anyway, but he said he couldn't handle it.

That is loving hilarious.

To echo what kastein said, it probably doesnt actually need replaced. The shaft on the steering box is splined so if that's sloppy, it's in the box.

I've seen two styles of arms: both ends have holes or one end has a shaft like a tie rod. If it's the double hole version, I can't see how it would be worn out. They're built like tanks. If it's the hole/shaft kind, the shaft end MAY have some play in it. Your best bet is to just get under there and start yanking on stuff to see what's sloppy. If your box is trashed, you may have some options there. I just replaced a box on a 71 nova with one from a 92 z28.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

goatse guy posted:

I am a hipster and I can confirm that my people love 240s and Golfs, as well as old Civics, anything wood-paneled, and anything so-ugly-it's-awesome.

I love wood paneled Ford Country Squires, music so terrible it's amazing, and hideous cars. Guys, i'm scared i'm a hipster :(

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Any socal goons here?

If so, why is it so loving cold, and why is there seemingly no sun? This is like Portland, but worse.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Any socal goons here?

If so, why is it so loving cold, and why is there seemingly no sun? This is like Portland, but worse.

It's been in the 70s-80s for a while here plus we have cheaper cost of living.

:feelsgood:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

iwentdoodie posted:

Any socal goons here?

I have no idea what you're on about, but I live in the IE. My AC bill is gonna suck this month.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

I have no idea what you're on about, but I live in the IE. My AC bill is gonna suck this month.

I'm moving to Murrieta tomorrow. Its loving cold. In Oceanside at the moment, and it's cold.

Should be noted I just moved from Guam, so my sense of hot/cold is off. But still. 75 during the day and 50s at night sucks. I've been dying on my bike.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm moving to Murrieta tomorrow. Its loving cold. In Oceanside at the moment, and it's cold.

Should be noted I just moved from Guam, so my sense of hot/cold is off. But still. 75 during the day and 50s at night sucks. I've been dying on my bike.

I would kill for those temps. Those are summer temps from my hometown, but here I Phoenix it's nearing triple digits in the dark

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Edit: NM, not that funny and you guys will just take it wrong and crucify me.

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's been in the 70s-80s for a while here plus we have cheaper cost of living.

:feelsgood:

Hi.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 11, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Buce? Is that you?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

Edit: NM, not that funny and you guys will just take it wrong and crucify me.

Hi.

I love riding my bike* up the Gorge and all the backroads past the waterfalls there. :hfive:

*no pedals on mine, I'm lazy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm so confused. :confused:

I got a new debit card a couple of weeks ago, and updated my OnStar billing info almost a week ago.

Got an email yesterday saying they can't bill my card and to update my billing information. I login to the OnStar account, has the correct billing info. Log in to my online banking (it's a secondary account I don't check daily), and see that OnStar has refunded $21.60 to my debit card as of a few days ago. The new debit card; they wouldn't be able to refund to the old card at this point (and the date the refund was authorized was the day I updated the OnStar account; it posted 2 days later).

I'm on their $12.99/mo retention plan; even if I wasn't, the $21.60 doesn't quite add up (the normal $19.99/mo would be $21.64 with tax). And I never asked for them to cancel the account.

:iiam:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Soooo update on the Scrapyard Mini...

Its a 1976 Mini Special with the 1300cc engine. 2 Door.
Condition wise I was surprised at the lack of rust, the log book kinda implies it was a personal import, it has 1982 reg number and DECL/D MANUF 1976 on the V5. There is little surface rust int he main areas, the from sub frame is clean and the rear needs a good strip and some por15 applied. It has one hole on the battery box. It has factory alloys, one with a puncture, a good spare and good glass all round.

The particular beauty of this find is that it has a load of new parts inside it including a new grill, rear seat foam, air ducts, brake pads, chrome wheel arches and a load of other trim and stuff. I am sure I saw new gauges too.

Now I didn't start it as the battery was dead a gently caress, my mate wont give me a price outright but he did ask what is was worth.... I need to quote him for his website so a deal can be struck there. I am probably looking to pay about £100 to £150 i suspect as he doesn't pay more than that for cars. It helps knowing the ballpark he paid!

So do I buy it? Flip or restore? The pain is horrible and someone painted the obligatory chessboard on the roof in acrylic or something.

Edit: Pics to follow when I get my phone back from the child :/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Worth buying, if manufactured in 1976, there is a very good chance it'll become tax exempt in a couple of years, provided the current status quo in that regard is undisturbed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, never Facebook while dead tired. In my exhaustion I guess I figured sending out 100 friend requests was a great loving idea.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ah what a morning, swapped 1228 DIMMs in under 5 hours with just two people. Now we have to wait for chilled water to return (tomorrow) before we can begin testing. I'm hoping for minimal fallout.

Finally used to the time zone difference but still trying to get used to going to bed and waking up later than usual. 6am wide awake with no reason to be for another 2 hours. Guess it gives me more time to practice German before heading in.

Was reminded today the nurburgring 24 hour race is June 19-22. I've under 4 hours away and the sites I'm covering don't have weekend coverage. Looks like I'll watch it in person this year:rock:

thegasman2000 posted:

So do I buy it? Flip or restore? The pain is horrible and someone painted the obligatory chessboard on the roof in acrylic or something.
Buy it then I'll buy it from you and figure out how the hell to get it over to the US. I'm only half joking...

T-Square
May 14, 2009

^^^I hate you.

So, the North American Scooter Racing Association is coming to Great Lakes Dragway in about a week and a half, and since I'm barely over 145lbs, my buddy wants me to compete on his monster scooter. It's an 1/8th mile shootout, and he wants bragging rights for the fastest scooter in Wisconsin.

It's a Honda Metropolitan/Honda Ruckus hybrid with a built GY6, lightened as much as possible, dubbed the "Mint Monster." I just got back from racing a Suzuki SV650 bumped up to 700cc's with cams and the works at Road America this past weekend, so this will be...different :v:

Here's the scoot in question:(not me in the dorky snowsuit)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffCAiCq55CM

Edit: gently caress it, I'm whoring this out too, because it was fun and I miss playing with the Bimmer on the ice :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIkwYf4y4R4

T-Square fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 11, 2014

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buy it then I'll buy it from you and figure out how the hell to get it over to the US. I'm only half joking...

The irony is that we cant get enough old US cars here! VW campers, Beatles and anything old and american. :gizz:

Looks like this is a project for the mrs to drive :dance:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Rhyno posted:

So, never Facebook while dead tired. In my exhaustion I guess I figured sending out 100 friend requests was a great loving idea.

I have really bad insomnia, where I can't stay asleep. I woke up in the middle of the night and replied to all of my emails and texts. I'm so productive when I'm half awake.

I had a dream last night that you sold me an Isuzu Trooper for $1500, but you didn't mention that the brakes didn't work. Thanks Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

goatse guy posted:

I had a dream last night that you sold me an Isuzu Trooper for $1500, but you didn't mention that the brakes didn't work. Thanks Rhyno.

I'm pretty sure dream Rhyno said it was As-Is.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Checking the flatness of the ebay rotors my coworker bought for his E36 on our Faro Arm :allears:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty sure dream Rhyno said it was As-Is.

Dream Rhyno is a dick.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Just released the news we are having another child on FB.... Now I get to pretend I care how happy family I don't like are.

In other news the Mrs is happy so we are go for project Mini.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat belt tickets are $172 here now :stare:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

meatpimp posted:

Dream Rhyno is a dick.

How is that any different from real-life Rhyno?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

thegasman2000 posted:

Just released the news we are having another child on FB.... Now I get to pretend I care how happy family I don't like are.

In other news the Mrs is happy so we are go for project Mini.

Congrats on having another child!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mariooncrack posted:

Congrats on having another child! Buying another car!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Thanks! I will have to see if I can actually finish this project. drat bi-polar.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
At least with a Mini, everything is available.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

InitialDave posted:

At least with a Mini, everything is available.

Yeah you can get everything from a certain bolt to a full shell. I wanted to rat look it for ease but that ain't going to fly with the boss!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

goatse guy posted:

How is that any different from real-life Rhyno?

When you wake up, Dream Rhyno goes away.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I dreamed... about my alarm clock going off, and not being able to turn it off. :argh:

(alarm clock is actually off IRL, since it's my day off)

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

:drat:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

thegasman2000 posted:

Yeah you can get everything from a certain bolt to a full shell. I wanted to rat look it for ease but that ain't going to fly with the boss!

My car is probably 80 percent new parts at this point, I'm better off swapping everything onto a clean unibody. Post photos!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Where is the burn icon?

Ninja edit :supaburn:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

That's what you think.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

That's what you think.

That was going to be my point exactly... Dream Rhyno disappears only to be replaced by the REAL THING. THERE IS NO ESCAPE!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I keep coming into work early and then forgetting to leave early to work on my poo poo at home because work is too much fun.

These are job related problems I like having.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are you salaried? I guess it doesn't matter if you genuinely like your job

• Locked thread