Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Windows Phone Devs. I discovered another reason not to develop for windows phone. If you install the Windows Phone development tools you install Hyper-V. Installing Hyper-V removes your computers ability to adjust the speed of the processor.

If you've noticed at some point in recent history your computer getting really hot and a much shorter batter life you might want to uninstall Hyper-V and seeing if you can get your computer to drop the CPU frequency when not under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

Windows Phone Devs. I discovered another reason not to develop for windows phone. If you install the Windows Phone development tools you install Hyper-V. Installing Hyper-V removes your computers ability to adjust the speed of the processor.

If you've noticed at some point in recent history your computer getting really hot and a much shorter batter life you might want to uninstall Hyper-V and seeing if you can get your computer to drop the CPU frequency when not under load.

I've had the SDK on my Surface Pro 2, and it continued to run just fine. I'm also pretty sure that it only uses Hyper-V for the emulators, and if I recall you don't have to install them.

I mean, there are many reasons not to develop for Windows Phone at this point; but this does not seem to be one of them.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

LentThem posted:

Uhh I think it's just because everyone outside of America with their phone set to a different region couldn't access Cortana and therefore couldn't access Quiet Hours.

But you're probably right since MS seems completely unaware of anything going on outside of the US.

Where do you access Quiet Hours? I have the most recent update, but I can't see it in Settings anywhere. Is it still US only despite being decoupled from Cortana?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It hasn't actually been decoupled. That was just a rumor.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

My laptop frequency scales just fine with hyperv installed sa well. Possibly not with hyperv running, but that is hardly a constant state of being.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
^^^ Works with VMs running, too. The hypervisor does the scaling instead of the host kernel.

Stick100 posted:

That's not true. If you go by readings of task manager, or tools using the same APIs, you'll see what the abstracted Hyper-V host CPU does, not the real CPU. Run CPU-Z, which will access the CPUs debug registers directly for read-outs, you'll see that it clocks down on low load or idle.

I thought so a while ago, too, until I ran CPU-Z to check the presence of certain feature flags while Hyper-V was running and noticed the clock being at 1.6GHz despite task manager saying 3.4GHz.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 4, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought so a while ago, too, until I ran CPU-Z to check the presence of certain feature flags while Hyper-V was running and noticed the clock being at 1.6GHz despite task manager saying 3.4GHz.

That makes more sense. So it just fucks up Task manager. Well what I was looking for is the power setting to set max/min cpu frequency when on battery and that is still only accessible if you uninstall hyper V.

As soon as I could set that I could get my laptop to cool down and extend the battery life.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of apps, I'll be putting up a new build of awful forums reader hopefully tonight. It should fix a bunch of issues, such as refreshing the bookmarks page rather than clearing it and the Edit button wrapping in the web view.

Also this:

Adding themes back, starting with YOSPOS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Stick100 posted:

That makes more sense. So it just fucks up Task manager. Well what I was looking for is the power setting to set max/min cpu frequency when on battery and that is still only accessible if you uninstall hyper V.

As soon as I could set that I could get my laptop to cool down and extend the battery life.
I suppose that's been rendered inaccessible, because the option would be useless considering the hypervisor does its own thing. A surprise there isn't a communication channel via the VMBus to set it.

But anyway, here's some pudding for anyone else who's interested...

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Some new devices from some of the new OEMs, presumably for the low and mid range of the market: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-shows-off-a-range-of-new-windows-phones-at-computex

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Some new devices from some of the new OEMs, presumably for the low and mid range of the market: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-shows-off-a-range-of-new-windows-phones-at-computex

Ha, do you want the HTC one knock off, the Galaxy S2 knockoff, or the Lumia knockoff?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I can't wait for the Yezz Billy 4.7!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anyone have any idea what this morning's dev-preview update changes? My phone sprung it on me while I was about to leave for work and then was stuck on the gears my whole commute. I had to listen to the radio the whole drive. The radio. :mad:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Ha, do you want the HTC one knock off, the Galaxy S2 knockoff, or the Lumia knockoff?

That HTC one knock off looks really great maybe they can get the great speaker thing down. That might actually be a decent phone.

It's good to see how quickly OEMs have produced phones now that MS isn't charging a licensing fee.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, if I read that one over at Evleaks correctly, the software for the 930 is only being signed off end of next week. No surprise that thing's late.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/474233177230548992

--edit: Actually, the footprint makes it sound like they're aiming for a release candidate for that time, not the actual software. Sigh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 4, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

It was slow getting going, but man I love live tiles now that a lot of big apps get it right. Having Spotify and Audible show the cover art of the last album and book I listened to, and a full width Facebook tile (the tile being the only functioning and useful part of the app) showing the last notification with the background for that user, makes things really feel very personal.

Not to mention, coming from android, feeling I can add whatever I want without battery fears.

WP does not get all right, and has backed off from a bunch of ideas I really originally loved, but I am inordinately happy with this platform.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

It was slow getting going, but man I love live tiles now that a lot of big apps get it right. Having Spotify and Audible show the cover art of the last album and book I listened to, and a full width Facebook tile (the tile being the only functioning and useful part of the app) showing the last notification with the background for that user, makes things really feel very personal.

I've really liked how Nokia MixRadio animates the large tile with 50% being album art and 50% being artist/song information, it really makes me wish the Xbox Music app WOULD DO ANYTHING AT ALL JESUS CHRIST.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel like some apps could be less vague, maybe add a title to their live tiles. The Metrotube tile shows video stills from your subscriptions I guess, but half the time I'm like "what the gently caress is this tile?" because it's just showing some random dude I don't recognize.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How do you change the IE search engine to Google again? I though it was just in settings but I can't find it on my girlfriends Lumia 630 - have they moved it in an update or something?

[EDIT] It seems carriers can disable this option, but she got this phone SIM free from Tesco's (£109 which is a bargain) so I can't se why it would have any customisations. Might try and activate the developer preview to see if that brings it back, despite this already being on 8.1

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jun 5, 2014

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
It's under Settings > Internet Explorer > Advanced Settings > Default search provider. I don't think it was under Advanced Settings on WP7.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Venusy posted:

It's under Settings > Internet Explorer > Advanced Settings > Default search provider. I don't think it was under Advanced Settings on WP7.

No it's not there, they've taken the option out which is really annoying.

The phone overall is really fast and a noticeable upgrade on the Lumia 620, however the lower ppi is noticeable and there is heavy backlight bleed like some reviewers mentioned. I also miss the camera button but someone who's never had one might not.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Since we're doing dev chat itt, setting the status bar background color is Windows.UI.ViewManagement.StatusBar.GetForCurrentView().BackgroundColor, right? Where would I stick this, in the App.xaml.cs in OnLaunched()? And setting text and poo poo is statusBarName.Text = "blah"? My brain is not working. :(

fake edit: oh yeah I forgot ShowAsync() was a thing :downs: just kill me now

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
920 is going through an issue again where it will not record audio when doing video. Voice note, voice commands, telephone, and audio playback all work.

sigh

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Maneki Neko posted:

Do you like last generation's hardware? Do you wish that old hardware could run smoother? Try a new Windows Phone!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Disappointing that even after two rounds of updates, I'm still getting the 1%/3minutes (20%/hour) battery drain when any app is in the foreground, including the Store and Photo Gallery.

A guy I know at Nokia who's previewing the Lumia Cyan update still has battery issues as well. This has me worried that battery life on 8.1 is just going to always be crap for me.

If there was some way to backport the Wordflow keyboard and the VPN, I'd just stay on WP8 forever.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Some official specs on those new phone: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/06/05/new-partners-announce-windows-phones-at-computex-2014.aspx

Decent for what they are I suppose. :)

Edit: Still can't get over the name of the Yezz Billy 4.7

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Some official specs on those new phone: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2014/06/05/new-partners-announce-windows-phones-at-computex-2014.aspx

Decent for what they are I suppose. :)

Edit: Still can't get over the name of the Yezz Billy 4.7

Awwww yezz motherfuckin windows

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have their WP8.1 intermittently stop responding to volume up/down buttons with the screen off? It happens so randomly on my 625. I hammered the vol-down when I pulled it out of my pocket this morning and it didn't respond until I woke up the screen. It's happened at least once before and then I can't replicate it again to save my life.

Hoping it's a known thing and not my brand new 625 being dumb.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

Anyone have their WP8.1 intermittently stop responding to volume up/down buttons with the screen off? It happens so randomly on my 625. I hammered the vol-down when I pulled it out of my pocket this morning and it didn't respond until I woke up the screen. It's happened at least once before and then I can't replicate it again to save my life.

Hoping it's a known thing and not my brand new 625 being dumb.

I've seen that as well, but that certainly doesn't mean it's known (to the people that can fix it, at least).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, I'll settle for it not just being my phone :q:

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh
Anyone else having godawful battery life, even on the latest 8.1 update? My 920 has been going 100%-10% after about 4 or 5 hours sitting in my pocket, every single app is prevented from running in the background and Battery Saver is giving me relatively short bars for everything. It's the most frustrating thing, my phone is barely functional away from my desk.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Phantom Limb posted:

Anyone else having godawful battery life, even on the latest 8.1 update? My 920 has been going 100%-10% after about 4 or 5 hours sitting in my pocket, every single app is prevented from running in the background and Battery Saver is giving me relatively short bars for everything. It's the most frustrating thing, my phone is barely functional away from my desk.

So far, the most common cause of that kind of battery drain (locked phone still draining) is a gmail or yahoo mail account getting stuck syncing. If it isn't a syncing problem, a hard reset might help. At least, for that type of draining issue.

I'm still struggling with every foreground app pegging CPU and killing 1% every 3 minutes.
Photo Gallery - 1% every 3 minutes
Store - 1% every 3 minutes
WeChat - 1% every 3 minutes
Internet Explorer - 1% every 3 minutes
Xbox Music - 1% every 3 minutes
Nokia Mixradio - 1% every 3 minutes
Podcasts - 1% every 3 minutes
Camera - 1% every 3 minutes
Finance - 1% every 3 minutes
etc etc

It's the stupidest thing, and if the Cyan update doesn't fix it I'll probably have to sell my phone. I work in an office that doesn't allow phone chargers that can connect to a PC out of data theft fears, so a phone that can't survive a workday is nearly useless.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

LentThem posted:

I work in an office that doesn't allow phone chargers that can connect to a PC out of data theft fears, so a phone that can't survive a workday is nearly useless.

Couldn't you just get a wall micro USB charger? As in one that is wired directly into the 2 prong transformer? Surely your company doesn't think you will disassemble it to make a USB cable out of it?

Not that it would solve the battery drain but at least you can charge at work.

Sounds like a fun place to work too!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Belfiore made a bunch of tweets. For one, he calls WinRT the third party platform. Nice to know that whatever developers are supposed to use is still treated like the red-headed stepchild.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I bought a used 820 for my fiance, and she seems to really like it except for the battery draining within a few hours.

I'm hoping it is just because it is a used phone that the battery is bad, so I spent 18$ on a new 2500m battery online for it. But in seeing the above posts I am a little worried about it just being a Windows 8.1 battery issue.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Worst case you're out eighteen bucks :shrug:

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Battery life will be bad on any beta without the correct firmware. Not exactly an 8.1 thing as it is incomplete software

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

jeeves posted:

I bought a used 820 for my fiance, and she seems to really like it except for the battery draining within a few hours.

I'm hoping it is just because it is a used phone that the battery is bad, so I spent 18$ on a new 2500m battery online for it. But in seeing the above posts I am a little worried about it just being a Windows 8.1 battery issue.

Check the battery saver app to see what's using the battery the most.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Rent posted:

Battery life will be bad on any beta without the correct firmware. Not exactly an 8.1 thing as it is incomplete software

Actually her Dell Venue 8 tablet is 8.1, so I assumed the Lumia 820 which I had do a full manual system update once I got it was 8.1 as well now. But it looks like it is still on whatever is the most recent revision of 8.0, as 8.1 is still slowly being rolled out for phones?

And yeah, I am hoping it is just a bad/old battery from being a used phone off of ebay, as she unplugged it after leaving it charging in the evening before bed, and it was fully depleted and off by the time she woke up, which is crazy bad.

I'll look into the battery saver options once the new battery comes in. Otherwise she loves the new phone :v:

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I got a 1520 recently and with 8.1 the battery life is quite respectable. It's off the charger at about 8am, has a few push email accounts going all day, and moderate-heavy usage, and I'll be at around 40-50% at midnight.

Side note, I used to be a big-phone hater, but I'm really digging this phablet. :gay: