Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Stupid American checking in. I'm not exactly new since I've been following soccer since the last World Cup, but this is my first time posting in this forum. I'll of course be rooting for Team USMint. I don't have any other teams I'll be rooting for when they inevitably crash out of groups, but I certainly have a number of teams that I'll be rooting against and that will be enough for me.

This is a healthy attitude to have, drainpipe. In football it often comes down to which teams you hate the least, rather than the ones you like the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Soulex posted:

I like Italian football, and have been to Italy. Italy would be ok to win, but I'm upset with how the team is performing.

I like boobs, and have been to boobs.

I am however NOT a woman and will therefore NOT be supporting women's football.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

sassassin posted:

finally someone who gets it

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Pro Tip for all of you new people if you happen to be in a public place watching the games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45jm32SZ798

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

sassassin posted:

I have also been to Switzerland, France, Netherlands, Spain, and Belguim and will not be supporting them either

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I enjoyed my time in India and as such will be gangraping rooting for them at the World Cup

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'm Scottish and hoping we can progress from the group stage.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I spent 15 months in Iraq, which is practically Iran, and I loving hate them and hope they all get halitosis.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Soulex posted:

I spent 15 months in Iraq, which is practically Iran, and I loving hate them and hope they all get halitosis.

You won't be saying this when they win the World Cup imo

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Bogan Krkic posted:

You won't be saying this when they win the World Cup imo

You are correct

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Under no circumstances should anyone support France

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Jose posted:

Under no circumstances should anyone support France

i'm buying their shirt though because it's classy and it'll help me fit in

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
There are literally people at my office who think France will win and Bastille Day this year will be the best in history because they will be celebrating the World Cup win as well

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Every country has fans who believe they will win despite reality telling them otherwise.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Brony Car posted:

Every country has fans who believe they will win despite reality telling them otherwise.

See: Everyone in the england thread.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

hopterque posted:

See: Everyone in the england thread.

But that's actually going to happen though?

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
Il rentre à la maison

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
You can only support your country, the one you were born in unless you moved at like >1 yr old

You can be sort of happy if other countries do cool poo poo but you can not be that happy

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

What if you're from a poverty country like say Poland that didn't come to the World Cup

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
I sure hope The Republic of Ireland win the World Cup in Brazil in 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bogan Krkic posted:

What if you're from a poverty country like say Poland that didn't come to the World Cup

you support Germany

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tbp posted:

You can only support your country, the one you were born in unless you moved at like >1 yr old

You can be sort of happy if other countries do cool poo poo but you can not be that happy

THIS

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

What I learned watching Euro 2008 is that not supporting a team in the competition owns a lot because you don't care who wins and can just have fun

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Bogan Krkic posted:

Support whomever is playing the various former superpowers that have oppressed you, OP.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Bogan Krkic posted:

I'm transethnic and will support Australia because I studied and lived there for eight years which pretty much makes me Australian imo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

trem_two posted:

Support whomever is playing the various former superpowers that have oppressed you, OP.

England is going out in groups though

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Jose posted:

What I learned watching Euro 2008 is that not supporting a team in the competition owns a lot because you don't care who wins and can just have fun

That is not a lesson I learned in 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2014.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Funky Koval posted:

That is not a lesson I learned in 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2014.

that gap between 2004 and 2014 should have been enough to learn its fun

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I went to Leicester once

I gave up going places after that

3peat
May 6, 2010

As a latino poster from a latino country that did not qualify, I will support another latino country, namely France. Allez les bleus!

texas chili bowl
Apr 13, 2008

Ankles and beards are serious business
What if your country has only been to the World Cup once (the year you were born) and scored 0 goals while there? Is it okay / cool / "hip" to be plastic for someone else then?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

texas chili bowl posted:

What if your country has only been to the World Cup once (the year you were born) and scored 0 goals while there? Is it okay / cool / "hip" to be plastic for someone else then?

just watch it all and enjoy the football no need to support a team

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Here's a nice safe guide:

Support your own country.
Like other countries that you have some sort of connection with, or just because you like their style of playing or whatever. You can be sympathetic towards them but I recommend you don't call yourself a fan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I liked North Korea after they played well against Brazil then Kim Jong Un got made manager of the team and it went really badly

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

Bogan Krkic posted:

I enjoyed my time in India and as such will be gangraping rooting for them at the World Cup

The Indians have been disqualified by FIFA. In qualification, every time they got a corner... they put up a shop haha

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
England doing well would only make Nigel Farage happy, and the England team is comprised entirely of twats, so I'm just going to be an unpatriotic prick, enjoy the football and laugh when England crash out of the group stage.

I'm going to watch as much of the World Cup as possible, it will be good and fun and I won't have to drown any sorrows. I might, however, have to drink to get through a few tedious 0-0 group stage matches.

Any word on how spherical the ball is this year?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Any word on how spherical the ball is this year?

Apparently it can be none more spherical

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

JFairfax posted:

Apparently it can be none more spherical

Impressive if true

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it is rather round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

texas chili bowl posted:

Please watch the U-20 Womens World Cup and Actual Womens World Cup, held in your country this year and next year respectively.

• Locked thread