Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sylphosaurus posted:

If anyone is willing to pick up my Sorcerer and take her on a trek or two through the wilderness, then they are more than welcome. I'm on xbox 360 with the gamertag Friegolit.
Sonya's bringing home some goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Sonya's bringing home some goodies.
Hey, thanks for the good stuff :)

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I just found out this exists so I ordered it - http://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Dogma-Official-Design-Works/dp/1926778928/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1401484012&sr=8-5&keywords=dragons+dogma

Some guy on neogaf said it has a bunch of crazy concept art and background details (on creatures, etc) so why not.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, the Capcom Unity dudes were streaming Dragma a little while ago, and they gave one out everytime. I didn't win, though, alas.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Just bought this after finishing Dark Souls 2 (a little late for both but whatever) and I'm just waiting for it to install.

What's the most important thing to know going into the game? I don't know too much about it other than what was in the demo i.e just combat and the whole pawn system. I also watched a few videos about the expansion and it seems... interesting to say the least.

I also read the OP but what I'm mostly worried about is locking myself out of content :(

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Bukowski posted:

Just bought this after finishing Dark Souls 2 (a little late for both but whatever) and I'm just waiting for it to install.

What's the most important thing to know going into the game? I don't know too much about it other than what was in the demo i.e just combat and the whole pawn system. I also watched a few videos about the expansion and it seems... interesting to say the least.

I also read the OP but what I'm mostly worried about is locking myself out of content :(

Early on you'll be offered a free rest at the encampment. If you have ever played an RPG before you know what that means. After your rest, head back to the starting town to pick up a quest you'll otherwise be locked out of.

That quest leads you to an area called the Witchwood that's tied to other quests. When you reach the large town for the first time, you'll be told to go visit the pawn guild. You can do that, and a pawn named Barnabas will ask you for help. DON'T do his quest at that time, it will lock you out of a few quest arcs. Instead, find the notice board and accept the other quest that takes place in the Witchwood, then go do that.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Yeah. It's pretty lovely the way some quests will cockblock other quests for no real reason. I had to backtrack an hour after leaving the Everfall and getting a quest failed notification for the Witchwood quest. I'm just glad the game didn't overwrite my last checkpoint.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bukowski posted:

Do you have the base game or Dark Arisen? If you have DA, then make sure you grab the glowy thing at the bottom of the Everfall when you do that quest. It'll make your life easier later on.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do you have the base game or Dark Arisen? If you have DA, then make sure you grab the glowy thing at the bottom of the Everfall when you do that quest. It'll make your life easier later on.
If you have Dark Arisen, and want to give yourself a leg-up in the normal game, you can also poke your nose in the first 1-2 rooms of the expansion island as well, as they have no enemies. There's loot that respawns every few game-days, including various healing items more powerful than the standard stuff, and materials you can sell if you're hurting for cash.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Thanks for that everyone! I have DA, I don't think you can get the original on the xbox marketplace anymore.

I have silver, as well, so no goon pawns for me :negative:

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
You can actually use all of the pawn features with silver.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, you just need to turn the online functions on in the game options.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Bukowski posted:

The most important thing to know is that wolves hunt in packs.

The other important thing to know is that stat growth generally isn't a big deal unless you really want to minmax, which isn't necessary. You can easily outlevel a lot of things in the game, so no need to worry about how your stats end up. Just play around with what you have fun with and don't be afraid to experiment.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

titties posted:

Instead, find the notice board and accept the other quest that takes place in the Witchwood, then go do that.

But... notice board quests don't expire or anything...?

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
Okay, what's the loving deal with the shield bandits? I'm playing a mage right now and I can barely scratch them with my strongest fire spell. They kill me in one hit (or combo) too, and they only seem to attack me instead of the useless warriors in my party. Of course, it is the start of the game but none of the other bandits are this strong! Not even the lizardmen in the well were that strong and they gave me a bit more experience too.

It took me an hour to do the witches hut quest and after I delivered it to the short dude I thought it would be funny to throw him off a cliff, and surprisingly it killed him. So I wasn't sure if he would respawn or if that was the last quest he would give or whatever, so I reloaded my "checkpoint" which was apparently before I had even accepted the quest!

George is gettin upset!!!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm pretty sure they respawn.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
The bandits are almost the hardest enemies in the game considering the time when you meet them... If you go to Witchwood at night I think you only have to fight wolves. Some other areas can be harder at night, though.

Almost everyone respawns in something like 3-5 days, and I don't think that guy has more quests anyway. Checkpoints are saved every time you sleep at an inn (and I think riftstones save them too?), so if you feel like you need them they you have to think when you want to do that.

If you absolutely need to beat every quest the first time you play the game, you must use a FAQ. You aren't going to beat or even find many of them out otherwise.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bukowski posted:

Okay, what's the loving deal with the shield bandits? I'm playing a mage right now and I can barely scratch them with my strongest fire spell. They kill me in one hit (or combo) too, and they only seem to attack me instead of the useless warriors in my party. Of course, it is the start of the game but none of the other bandits are this strong! Not even the lizardmen in the well were that strong and they gave me a bit more experience too.

Someone at Capcom decided bandit packs would be both harder and less fun than bosses. That is not hyperbole. If you run past every bandit you see the game improves considerably. Ignoring/running past the dumb stuff to get to the good stuff is how to enjoy DD.

Shields are more or less full frontal invulnerability. Don't try to batter them down from the front.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Throw pies at them.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
It took me so long to get to Witchwood the first time. I would run into all the bandit groups and either roll over them or get torn apart. There was no in between. Even yesterday when I was playing with my level 70 guy I got killed by a bandit in one hit when I had over 1000HP left. (Though I am currently playing on hard mode.)

titties
May 10, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

But... notice board quests don't expire or anything...?

They don't. But since you're going there anyway, you might as well get the quest while you're at Gran Soren. Otherwise you'll have to make the trip again, and those bandits are difficult for new players. It wasn't a matter of the quest expiring, it's just about completing both of the early Witchwood quests at once.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I need a replay function or something. Last night I fought a couple dragons (Grigori and the wyvern outside Gransys) and both times one of my pawns did something to knock off several bars of health. I'm dicking around with my bow getting used to mystic archer and suddenly it's time for the death blow. Someones doing something cool and I keep missing it.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

I need a replay function or something. Last night I fought a couple dragons (Grigori and the wyvern outside Gransys) and both times one of my pawns did something to knock off several bars of health. I'm dicking around with my bow getting used to mystic archer and suddenly it's time for the death blow. Someones doing something cool and I keep missing it.

It's most likely Great Gamble.

titties
May 10, 2012

ChaoticGood posted:

It's most likely Great Gamble.

Right, I think most of the other skills a pawn could use to create massive damage come with a giant purple tornado or a meteor storm or something that you're definitely not going to miss. framerate droppin mobs are poppin

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Finally remembered to update my pawn listing, after getting a bad appearance rating and spending a little while and money getting her a better outfit to hopefully improve. Also, I blame Gildiss' LP for getting me back into this.

Sgt. Rapeslaughter
Mar 12, 2003

(work safe lol lol)
Just getting back into this game after Dark Souls II. Anyone willing to take my pawn for a trip down BBI lane? PSN is Dongicus.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I picked this game back up after playing it for a little bit when I got Dark Arisen for free on psn. I want to like it, but there's just so many little annoying things. Like take this quest I'm on. I have go from the main city all the way across the map it feels like. It's at night which means I can't see anything, so it's tough to fight the enemies that seem to spawn everywhere. My pawns die like every three seconds so I'm spending more time running around and reviving them than actually fighting. To top it off, the entrance to this quest is along a narrow mountain road and my pawns are constantly falling off and dying so I have to run all the way back down to revive them, and by the time I run down enemies have respawned so it's a vicious cycle of annoyance.

I'm also unsure about this mystic knight class. I switched to it because I thought it would be more fun than the Warrior I was when I picked the game back up, but actually feels a lot like the warrior only with a bunch of elemental shield block moves that don't seem to do anything.

Sgt. Rapeslaughter
Mar 12, 2003

(work safe lol lol)
Mystic Knight gets comically powerful once you're higher up in the vocation ranks. Ruinous Sigil plus a few Great Cannons is fairly game breaking with the right elemental enchantment. It makes a landmine so powerful that the frame rate slows down massively.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I picked this game back up after playing it for a little bit when I got Dark Arisen for free on psn. I want to like it, but there's just so many little annoying things. Like take this quest I'm on. I have go from the main city all the way across the map it feels like. It's at night which means I can't see anything, so it's tough to fight the enemies that seem to spawn everywhere. My pawns die like every three seconds so I'm spending more time running around and reviving them than actually fighting. To top it off, the entrance to this quest is along a narrow mountain road and my pawns are constantly falling off and dying so I have to run all the way back down to revive them, and by the time I run down enemies have respawned so it's a vicious cycle of annoyance.

I'm also unsure about this mystic knight class. I switched to it because I thought it would be more fun than the Warrior I was when I picked the game back up, but actually feels a lot like the warrior only with a bunch of elemental shield block moves that don't seem to do anything.

Are you by chance trying to reach the Water Gods Altar? That could be a tricky hike at night, I'd wait for daytime.

Mystic Knight isn't really fun at early levels. Heck to me it was never as fun as the other classes, it seems like it should be a melee tank class but it played like a magic support class.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Leave it to my loving dipshit pawns to turn a loot run into a massacre. They aggroed every Eliminator in the Fallen City and got butchered in the streets and I was the only one who made it out. No Lv.3s for me today!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Assassin is my favourite class because it's extremely adaptable, if Mystic Knight isn't doing it for you, give it or even Strider a go, each of the classes plays pretty differently and you're not going to gimp yourself unless you actively try.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Cometa Rossa posted:

Leave it to my loving dipshit pawns to turn a loot run into a massacre. They aggroed every Eliminator in the Fallen City and got butchered in the streets and I was the only one who made it out. No Lv.3s for me today!

I wouldn't even attempt BBI runs without an Assassin. Just bolting across the rooftops and having my pawns be too slow to usually even see combat before I made it in was the best. Nothing like 4-5 minutes to get to the boss... followed by 15 minutes of resetting for crystals. :v:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

Assassin is my favourite class because it's extremely adaptable, if Mystic Knight isn't doing it for you, give it or even Strider a go, each of the classes plays pretty differently and you're not going to gimp yourself unless you actively try.

I considered Assassin, and that's the class I would probably change to if I could, but one of the reasons I switched to Mystic Knight was because I found this really good mace that's way better than any other weapon I have. Obliteratrix it's called I think.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
I maxed out Fighter and Warrior, switched over to Assassin at level 25 and I've never once looked back (I'm like 125 now). I did like 3 or 4 levels each as a Magick Archer and Sorceror but I've never really felt the need to play as anything else, despite how much I hear that every class plays differently. I just picked the best one right off the bat :smug:

also i feel like a flightless bird if i cant dodge-roll or double-jump anymore

Cometa Rossa fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 11, 2014

titties
May 10, 2012

If your pawns are dying that easily it might be time to hire new pawns. I've taken level 20 goon pawns through some of the hardest areas of the base game and they managed to survive chimeras and drakes just fine (although the rest of the party was well into triple-digit levels).

The MK shield skills are actually pretty great, but a lot of them rely on your timing as you block. There's an augment for one of the shield classes that increases the window for perfect block. With that, you can block incoming arrows and kill the archer with the resulting magic discharge.

E: Still willing to buy someone's PS3 copy of Dark Arisen. Someone has to be done with this game by now.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I considered Assassin, and that's the class I would probably change to if I could, but one of the reasons I switched to Mystic Knight was because I found this really good mace that's way better than any other weapon I have. Obliteratrix it's called I think.
The Obliteratrix is middle-of-the-road when it comes to maces, depending on how far along you are in the game. Mystic Knights can also use swords, so be sure to keep an eye on them as you pick up new weapons. The top-tier maces are better than the top-tier swords, when comparing them directly.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

There are some good daggers you can find on the ground at the spear tip of the hillfigure knoll.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm switching back to assassin, I suck as Magic Archer. Level 70 and just got clowned by a bunch of big saurians and the hydra. I spent about 50 levels as an assassin so I think my magic is for poo poo.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

No sequel announced at E3 :(. Capcom are nuts if they don't continue this IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Keep an ear out for TGS, Capcom may well have been saving something for that this year.

• Locked thread