Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Both games are fun. Wind Waker HD is a really good polished rehash.

Pikmin 3 is a beautiful original title but it's pretty short.

That's all you really need to know.

\/\/

That game looks pretty sweet. I think on the aesthetics alone I could get my wife into it.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Yoshi's Woolly World is going to be on the Treehouse stream in 30 seconds!

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Niiiiiice.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rack posted:

Niiiiiice.

Water looks incredible. If there's one thing the Wii U is doing really right, it's water.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
This giant robot game actually looks really fun. Hopefully there's more to it though, because it looks like it could get pretty boring after awhile.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

DarkHamsterlord posted:

This giant robot game actually looks really fun. Hopefully there's more to it though, because it looks like it could get pretty boring after awhile.

If they polish it up a bit and add online multiplayer, this could be a cool $15 game. I'd buy the gently caress out of it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

I don't understand why Nintendo insists on the glossy plastic for their products. Why not just use the matte finish like on the 3DS XL?
From other controllers I have I'd guess cause plastic matte finishes can get worn down and look kinda crappy over time.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I bought a WiiU today because of the E3 presentation yesterday. :buddy:

Haven't tried it out yet but I'm looking forward to the convenience of just laying in bed and playing on the gamepad. I'm excited for Yoshi's Woolly World-- it's about drat time we got a proper Yoshi's game and not that Artoon nonsense.

I ended up getting the Wind Waker WiiU. There was a Mario Kart bundle available as well and I know it's more bang for my buck but I couldn't resist the design on the gamepad oh my god it so nice. No regrets.

I'm highly considering going entirely discless with the WiiU. Kind is dicey what with Nintendo's account system (by which I mean lack thereof) but it just seems like it would be so convenient. Haven't entirely decided yet.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kaubocks posted:

I'm highly considering going entirely discless with the WiiU. Kind is dicey what with Nintendo's account system (by which I mean lack thereof) but it just seems like it would be so convenient. Haven't entirely decided yet.

The only thing that regularly turns me off about buying Nintendo games digitally is their superb resale value, especially the first party titles. That's something to consider!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kaubocks posted:

Haven't tried it out yet but I'm looking forward to the convenience of just laying in bed and playing on the gamepad.

Just to be sure - your Wii U will need to be in your bedroom to do this. It sends everything to the pad on a second wifi connection and it's not powerful enough to go through walls.

It's a pity, I was hoping I could use it in my room that's directly above my lounge where the wii u lives, but I lose signal too often.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Wind Waker bundle, this conference has convinced me to. I've already got MK8 since my roommate owns a Wii U, so I'm going to register that to get a free game, sell the Wind Waker download code, and get ready for all the games.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to be sure - your Wii U will need to be in your bedroom to do this. It sends everything to the pad on a second wifi connection and it's not powerful enough to go through walls.

It's a pity, I was hoping I could use it in my room that's directly above my lounge where the wii u lives, but I lose signal too often.

Actually it can be, but it depends on the distance and what you have in the way. I've played in one of my house's bedrooms situated above the Wii U (though position dependant), and be able to go play it in the dining room which is on the other side of the wall behind the Wii U, and passing through a sizable cabinet, though I do have to avoid being too far from it. Its worked for when I want to play but someone is already using the TV.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 11, 2014

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

-USB hard drive required
-Sales are rare and always bad
-Lots of Nintendo games are multiplayer-centric so if you have any friends with a Wii U and you want to take a game to their house, there's absolutely no way possible you can download it on their console, at all
-If your Wii U farts out, I hope you like having to call Nintendo and send it in to get your licenses transferred instead of just buying a new console and logging in

Hey, it's your choice, but it seems way too easy to turn into a crapshoot and your only advantage is not having to get off your skinny rear end and swap discs :fyadride:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's not entirely true! I play in bed often, but that's only about 12-14 feet away from the Wii U, and only through one wall. I haven't had a single problem.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Heads up for NA guys - Best Buy is giving out discount coupons to people who try the Smash demo. $20 off select Wii U games (Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, NSMBU, Mario & Sonic Sochi), $30 off Wii U/3DS hardware, 10% off controllers and other accessories.

EDIT: pic

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 11, 2014

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's fine, I live in a bachelor apartment so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Thanks for pointing it out though.

gay skull posted:

-USB hard drive required
-Sales are rare and always bad
-Lots of Nintendo games are multiplayer-centric so if you have any friends with a Wii U and you want to take a game to their house, there's absolutely no way possible you can download it on their console, at all
-If your Wii U farts out, I hope you like having to call Nintendo and send it in to get your licenses transferred instead of just buying a new console and logging in

Hey, it's your choice, but it seems way too easy to turn into a crapshoot and your only advantage is not having to get off your skinny rear end and swap discs :fyadride:
It's mostly points two and four that bum me out. The sales not so much because I don't particularly see hard copies of games on sale much (but then again I haven't bought a recent console game in years), but the licenses is a killer.

EDIT: Talk about not seeing sales and then PaletteSwappedNinja proves me wrong before I even hit "post".

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I've heard Amazon has Mario Kart 8 for $11 less than it apparently is over there.

Anyone that doesn't have it that think they may eventually get it may as well get it in the next 2 and half weeks since a free game is better than nothing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Heads up for NA guys - Best Buy is giving out discount coupons to people who try the Smash demo. $20 off select Wii U games (Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, NSMBU, Mario & Sonic Sochi), $30 off Wii U/3DS hardware, 10% off controllers and other accessories.

Is this for making a reserve on the game or is this just free poo poo they're handing out?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is this for making a reserve on the game or is this just free poo poo they're handing out?

Nintendo reps are giving it out for playing the Smash demo, I think. No idea if you can get it from stores that don't have the demo. I don't think it's tied to reserves, but don't quote me on that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: pic

Wait could you get the $30 off if you buy the mario kart bundle? Or just the wiiu system itself?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

It's fine, I live in a bachelor apartment so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Thanks for pointing it out though.

It's mostly points two and four that bum me out. The sales not so much because I don't particularly see hard copies of games on sale much (but then again I haven't bought a recent console game in years), but the licenses is a killer.

EDIT: Talk about not seeing sales and then PaletteSwappedNinja proves me wrong before I even hit "post".

Sales for console games usually consist of more general sales, like "Buy two $59.99 games, get one free" and "$15 gift card when you preorder any one of these 10 games coming out this Christmas"-type stuff. They also go on clearance every now and then, many stores have big clearance events. And then of course the second-hand market can slash prices big-time if you're willing to wait a little bit. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Also that sale PalletSwappedNinja posted is pretty lovely, honestly. Oh boy, four bucks off Wii Remotes. $40 is a decent deal for Mario 3D World but NSMBU is (potentially) free with Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country TF just isn't very good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Must be the curse of living in a house that's about a hundred years old I guess! Even regular wifi is a nightmare here, but the wii u gamepad suffers the most. I'm lucky the lounge is basically my room anyway so it's not an issue here at least.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

drat, too bad you have to buy a specific 2DS SKU/bundle from Walmart in order to get that $40 Walmart gift card. $70 off a 2DS would be an incredible deal. Walmart does accept competitor's coupons, don't they? It's a REAL long shot, but I wonder if they'd accept that one.

Alternatively, if you want to be a real scumbag along the likes of couponing mommies, you could probably buy one color 2DS from Best Buy with the coupon, not open it, and bring it to Walmart after "losing your receipt" to exchange it for a different color and maybe still get that $40 gift card?

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 11, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hey if you bought a deluxe set Wii U make sure you don't forget about the digital deluxe promotion thingy- just checked and I had like 10 bucks worth of eshop vouchers just sitting there from games I didn't even pay for but downloaded through the Wii U shop.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
that $20 coupon stacks with other poo poo.

Welp time to head into the putrid breach that is the horde of smash brothers players.

Cheap gaming here I come.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

That's not entirely true! I play in bed often, but that's only about 12-14 feet away from the Wii U, and only through one wall. I haven't had a single problem.

Mines about 20 feet away from the Wii U through a wall and it works just fine.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

that $20 coupon stacks with other poo poo.

Welp time to head into the putrid breach that is the horde of smash brothers players.

Cheap gaming here I come.

Only at participating stores :colbert: too bad the nearest one is an hour away.

Is the mario kart bundle even that good a deal? If a refurb console is $200 and MK8 is $60, that means you're getting another wiimote, a plastic wheel, and another game for $70. And they discounted WW HD, so if you don't want a plastic wheel and have a regular wii (to scavenge wiimotes from) I don't think it's such a good deal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mortimer posted:

Only at participating stores :colbert: too bad the nearest one is an hour away.

Is the mario kart bundle even that good a deal? If a refurb console is $200 and MK8 is $60, that means you're getting another wiimote, a plastic wheel, and another game for $70. And they discounted WW HD, so if you don't want a plastic wheel and have a regular wii (to scavenge wiimotes from) I don't think it's such a good deal.

It's not a bad deal if you're opposed to getting the refurbished Wii U from Nintendo. You can get Mario Kart 8, the Mario Wiimote, and the wheel attachment for about $105 shipped from Amazon, putting the Poor Man's Mario Kart 8 Bundle at $305. The real bundle after tax comes to around $350, so you're essentially paying $45 more for a more attractive box that may or may not fetch you a better return if you decide to sell the lot in X years.

It's Mario Party 10 time on the Treehouse stream. Have any F-bombs been dropped yet? Any minute now.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

LethalGeek posted:

Smash Bro roster is getting downright bizarre at this point.

What's particularly bizarre about it?

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

matrix ripoff posted:

What's particularly bizarre about it?

Personally, if someone told me as a lad in the 90s that there'd be a game with Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man in it, I'd think you were lying or telling a story that's totally true because "my dad's friend works at Nintendo and he totally saw it!"

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?

Dishwasher posted:

Personally, if someone told me as a lad in the 90s that there'd be a game with Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man in it, I'd think you were lying or telling a story that's totally true because "my dad's friend works at Nintendo and he totally saw it!"

Uncle. It's always the uncle.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Smash Bros, where non-Nintendo characters go to die.

e: Also some Nintendo characters too...

Xik fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 12, 2014

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It also has nice lava, plz update title

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Ok so if you ask for a coupon they just give it to you. The best buys that are not doing the event do not have coupons.

Too many people in the store to keep track of everything properly. Too many unwashed people, there apparently have been people in lines for days and they have not bathed.

The smell just hits you. My hatred for Smash Players has re-ignited and now has enough fuel to ignite ten thousand suns, but their foul stench still has more.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Music Theory posted:

I'm going to get MK8 pretty soon, and I need to decide what game to get, and right now it's a choice between Pikmin and WW. I already have Wind Waker for gamecube, so should I just get Pikmin, or is WWHD significantly better?

I got Pikmin since Windwaker is the cheaper of the two and I'm planing on playing both. Then Windwaker went on sale for E3 so I got it. Not sure what your budget freetime situation is like but it's something to consider if you think you'll play both.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
My refurbished Wii U arrived and won't read discs. Mario Kart, Nintendo Land, and Wii games all say the disc can't be read, though it detects that something's there and the disc light lights up.

I tried updating the system, as well as unplugging it without any discs and the drive and letting it sit for awhile.

Tried calling support and got told the lines are all busy and the only machine options were to check existing order info and blinking power lights. Any idea when's a good time to actually get through? Or some bizarre magic solution to my disc issues?

Lastly, should I just leave the system as is? I'd like to take advantage of the eshop sale and download my Mario Kart bonus game or will I be better off just holding onto the download code since it's basically a given that this thing's going back in the mail.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Xik posted:

Smash Bros, where non-Nintendo characters go to die.

e: Also some Nintendo characters too...

The most bizarre entry thus far for me is this Kid Icarus lady, and Kid Icarus himself was already a B-roster character himself. I wasn't even aware she was a character in the game until she was announced.

Hooray for adding more girls in the game, but Jesus this is loving stretching it for characters. I'd have added Trixie Kong* or Paula from Earthbound or even Goombette from Paper Mario before going back into Kid Icarus territory.

edit:it's Dixie Kong whoops*

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 12, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

matrix ripoff posted:

The most bizarre entry thus far for me is this Kid Icarus lady, and Kid Icarus himself was already a B-roster character himself. I wasn't even aware she was a character in the game until she was announced.

Hooray for adding more girls in the game, but Jesus this is loving stretching it for characters. I'd have added Candy Kong or Paula from Earthbound or even Goombette from Paper Mario before going back into Kid Icarus territory.

Palutena wasn't in a wildly popular recent 3DS game or anything!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

matrix ripoff posted:

Hooray for adding more girls in the game, but Jesus this is loving stretching it for characters. I'd have added Candy Kong or Paula from Earthbound or even Goombette from Paper Mario before going back into Kid Icarus territory.

they should have added Pauline from Donkey Kong. I thought that's who she was when they announced the name Palutena like it was some strange Japanese localization change, but I never played Kid Icarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

matrix ripoff posted:

Worst post itt.

• Locked thread