Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sentientcarbon posted:

Honestly, I'd expect most Catholic priests to be in favor of amnesty. Not because of some newfound decency or compassion, but because Hispanics are predominantly Catholic. More immigrants = larger congregations = $$$$$. I wouldn't be surprised if he and other priests support the right thing for the wrong reasons, which is pretty much the best you can hope for in America today.

If we could find a way to make decency profitable this country would be a utopia.
Decency is profitable. But only in the long term so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

sentientcarbon posted:

Honestly, I'd expect most Catholic priests to be in favor of amnesty. Not because of some newfound decency or compassion, but because Hispanics are predominantly Catholic. More immigrants = larger congregations = $$$$$. I wouldn't be surprised if he and other priests support the right thing for the wrong reasons, which is pretty much the best you can hope for in America today.

If we could find a way to make decency profitable this country would be a utopia.

They generally are around here, I don't know about your priests elsewhere. Hell one local Catholic police managed to take down the East Haven police department due to their constant racism particularly against all the undocumented people in the area.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I had to go to a Catholic mass a few years ago when I attended a wedding for a family friend. The priest spent the better part of it bitching about Grand Theft Auto and how that's the reason kids these days are so sinful and lack morals.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Amused to Death posted:

I mean my great-great-grandparents definitely came here legally.

By which I mean they showed up on a boat with a few lira in their pocket to convert to dollars and didn't have consumption or trachoma. They then lived their lives in an immigrant enclave in the city where a good deal of people still spoke Italian to each other. Also the good, hard working white people of America hated their Mediterranean asses so much that we basically ground immigration to a near halt over it when too many other people who looked like my great-great grandparents showed up.

This is the biggest travesty of the whole immigration thing is that people think their ancestors showed up here and immediately learned english and got jobs and were productive, or even that the standards to get here were that difficult back then. My grandpa who was born in like 1918 and spoke german and english fluently growing up so he could speak to his grandparents. My mom and my uncles were the first family members who never had to learn german in order to speak to relatives. People really need to learn their history better.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Like the US Government, Catholicism isn't a monolith- your experiences of a rightward shift probably aren't fully representative.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Branis posted:

This is the biggest travesty of the whole immigration thing is that people think their ancestors showed up here and immediately learned english and got jobs and were productive, or even that the standards to get here were that difficult back then. My grandpa who was born in like 1918 and spoke german and english fluently growing up so he could speak to his grandparents. My mom and my uncles were the first family members who never had to learn german in order to speak to relatives. People really need to learn their history better.

Yeah it's pretty crazy how little historical perspective the modern day nativists have. Speaking of my own family, my dad and my uncle were the first generation who didn't learn Norwegian as (at least) a secondary language. And my paternal family has been in the country since the 1890's.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Branis posted:

Hell, there are still a couple of small towns in Texas where they have German-language newspapers (at least, they had them into the late 90s before Craigslist killed the newspaper). It's considered a quaint part of their small town immigrant heritage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Well I can bitch about immigrants all I want because I have ancestors that were here before the USA was :smuggo:

(They were Hessian mercs that fought for the British in the Revolutionary War :v:)

But realtalk, my mom bitches about immigrants and I'm like "what the gently caress, you're 100% Pennsylvania Dutch. Your ancestors integrated so poorly they took over a significant chunk of an enormous state and turned it into what amounts to a German enclave in the US."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Yeah it's pretty crazy how little historical perspective the modern day nativists have. Speaking of my own family, my dad and my uncle were the first generation who didn't learn Norwegian as (at least) a secondary language. And my paternal family has been in the country since the 1890's.

Hey, you can't be a nativist and have historical perspective. They're mutually exclusive.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

My great grandpa killed someone in a bar fight in Alsace-Lorraine and avoided prosecution by coming to America. So y'know, model immigrants.

I'd imagine a good portion of the people who advocate for stricter immigration laws are 4 or fewer generations removed from Europe.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
My great-grandfather didn't want to be drafted into the Czech army. :patriot:

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Hey, you can't be a nativist and have historical perspective. They're mutually exclusive.

The obvious rejoinder is that the ancestors of right-wing nativists were white. And it's not uncommmon to hear the argument made more explicitly, with claims(false, naturally) about how Latinos don't integrate like previous immigrants, or how Latino culture however defined is fundamentally incompatible with being a Real 'Murican.

But it's also that anti-immigrant conservatives tend to be Southerners, and the South doesn't have the same legacy of immigration. Southern whites are mostly Anglo-Scottish with ancestors who arrived in North America centuries ago. Non-southerners, even if they're right-wingers, will likely have been raised on stories about the waves of immigration of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and how America is a melting pot. Southern whites are far more uniform ethnically and don't have the same relationship to immigration, even European immigration.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

People having a discussion about rape on Facebook. It's baaaaaaaad.

And it's still going.

I should just rename my Facebook link to "married middle class white guys don't understand rape", because this poo poo has been going on for a while now.

Later on, Tara Misu wrote:

Tara Misu posted:

And I don't give a gently caress what feminists try to tell me or what they THINK they think, the *feminist movement* is out for men's blood. Individual feminists may not be, but FEMINISM is. It's just as zealous and irrational about the way it does things as religion is.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 11, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I agree, they should teach people not to fight wars.

Are people seriously unaware that there is a large difference between women shouldn't learn self-defense and women shouldn't have to learn self defense?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

People having a discussion about rape on Facebook. It's baaaaaaaad.

And it's still going.

I should just rename my Facebook link to "married middle class white guys don't understand rape", because this poo poo has been going on for a while now.

Later on, Tara Misu wrote:

Ask them if they are all personally martial arts experts. If they're not, then really they're just asking to get mugged :colbert:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Magres posted:

Ask them if they are all personally martial arts experts. If they're not, then really they're just asking to get mugged :colbert:

They literally are. I know these people through martial arts. I'm not sure if it's a matter of these people being mostly 20-30 something white guys, or the fact that they're all "do it yourself" libertarian types, but for the most part my Facebook has been plagued with this stuff lately.

Also,

quote:

Here's something else that I find infuriating and actually more than a bit obnoxious:

You (not *necessarily* you, Anna Mull) are pretty much preaching to the choir. I mean, seriously, I don't think I could say that a single one of my male friends through my highschool, college & adult life were poorly or under-socialized with respect to rape & consent. Really, we get it. We don't rape people. The reason this is so eye-rolling is because this isn't about social change, this is about social status & one-ups-manship in the progressive/educated/upper-middle-class community. This is *only* something you hear educated people preaching about to other educated people. This coded-language...it's to mark each other out as 'legit' progressives/upper-middle-class. The same way the Burghers in the HRE would talk about 'Ritterlich' arts.

Talking about this stuff is just a way for progressives to pat themselves on the back over how progressive they are. :smug:

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 11, 2014

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Dirty Job posted:

They literally are. I know these people through martial arts. I'm not sure if it's a matter of these people being mostly 20-30 something white guys, or the fact that they're all "do it yourself" libertarian types, but for the most part my Facebook has been plagued with this stuff lately.

drat, that's always my favorite "you're being a piece of poo poo" go-to.

Like they're still being lovely anyway, they are simply lacking that facet of the shittery that these discussions usually entail.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nativity In Black posted:

My great grandpa killed someone in a bar fight in Alsace-Lorraine and avoided prosecution by coming to America. So y'know, model immigrants.

Please tell me it was some Fireflyesque thing where your gramps would show up in bars on Sedan Day with a French flag or something.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

On another forum there was a huge debate about Elliot Rodgers. It turned into men vs. women, the female posters trying to explain misogyny and male entitlement, and the men basically going on the #notallmen defensive, blaming women for "rewarding" abusive men with sex, and at one point one of them accused the female posters of "hysterical whining". Seriously.

Did the name of this forum rhyme with "Said it?"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dirty Job posted:

The 6 months I did Krav Maga, they always pointed out, you don't know how well trained the other guy is and you aren't going to win every fight. So, even if you are a trained martial artist there is no guarantee you are winning a fight.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Nativity In Black posted:

I agree, they should teach people not to fight wars.

Are people seriously unaware that there is a large difference between women shouldn't learn self-defense and women shouldn't have to learn self defense?

What probably kicked all this off was Miss Nevada's answer during the Miss USA pageant:

quote:

Judge Rumer Willis noted a disturbing statistic about sexual assaults among college students and asked why she thought such crimes have been "swept under the rug for so long" and what colleges can do to combat that—a question the Taekwondo expert (and ultimate winner) answered with a personal touch.

Her response: "I believe that some colleges may potentially be afraid of having a bad reputation and that would be a reason it could be swept under the rug, because they don't want that to come out into the public. But I think more awareness is very important so women can learn how to protect themselves. Myself, as a fourth-degree black belt, I learned from a young age that you need to be confident and be able to defend yourself. And I think that's something that we should start to really implement for a lot of women."

Some feminists critiqued the answer such as:

Miss Nevada might be gorgeous, but needs to realize teaching self defense to women isn't the solution for ending sexual assault #YesAllWomen
— Elisabeth Jasina (@jasinae)

Oh course, the right wing persecution machine picked it up as those crazy feminists freaking out again:
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2014/06/09/feminists-freak-out-over-miss-nevada-suggestion-women-learn-self-defense-n1849213

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Please tell me it was some Fireflyesque thing where your gramps would show up in bars on Sedan Day with a French flag or something.

Knowing my family's history he was probably just an alcoholic.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Like the US Government, Catholicism isn't a monolith- your experiences of a rightward shift probably aren't fully representative.
I think they probably are--at least at the top end--if only because Das Pope replaced several hella liberal people with several hella conservative people.

The Archbishops of San Francisco and Seattle come to mind; and he even managed to find someone more conservative than Edward Egan to take over as Archbishop of New York (Timothy Dolan is a huge loving rear end in a top hat).

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

quote:

Judge Rumer Willis noted...

Rumer Willis is judging a beauty pageant? She looks like she came in a box of Lego.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

Rumer Willis is judging a beauty pageant? She looks like she came in a box of Lego.
No, I think it was Bruce who came in the Lego box.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Oh come on, guys. If you're going to mock the physical appearance of someone involved with Miss USA, at least make it walking hairpiece Donald Trump.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, I think it was Bruce who came in the Lego box.

If I'm understanding this joke correctly, I wish I had not.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Discendo Vox posted:

Catholics are a very diverse group of people who range from Mel Gibson insane to drat near Unitarian "lets just all be friends!" The Catholic governmental hierarchy, especially in the US, has been taken over by career "politician" type priests whose goal is to shift the values of the church hard right. They did this by being schemers, plotters, etc while the other guys are out there actually doing some measure of good work. They also completely control the seminaries though most of the country, and if you meet a young priest in 2014, it is a safe bet they harbor rather radically conservative views.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If my cousin and my girlfriend's cousin's babydaddy ever meet I think they're likely to annihilate like matter and antimatter.

VS

Although my girlfriend's cousin is no crazy-politics slouch herself.
viz:

"Put the family first by just not educating your child. At all." We are legit terrified for the future of their baby.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why are you teaching my child not to hate other races, Jew?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Although my girlfriend's cousin is no crazy-politics slouch herself.
viz:

is this macro telling me to let my kids run away and join the circus? I'm ok with that

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I love how A. Wyatt Mann's scheming Jew caricature has been wholeheartedly embraced by redditors.

Also "teacher" and "student," thank you for those labels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I am so sick of the reddit//pol/ poo poo, My best friend has started to almost sort of believe poo poo he reads on /pol/ which is extremely depressing. other then that, he is still an ok guy

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Major shades of Poe's Law. The MSPainted A. Wyatt Mann caricature, the silly carnival-type font, the student is based on some meme or another... I mean, for chrissakes, the evil teacher is wearing a shirt of Rosie the Riveter. It has to be a joke that the guy took seriously. Surely the right-wing outrage machine hasn't declared a fatwa on Rosie the goddamn Riveter, right? Right?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was legit unschooled until age 12. My mom didn't want me and my siblings to be stuck in an underfunded school. She was also a stay at home mom at the time and extremely liberal. It was... an interesting experience.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Suitaru posted:

Surely the right-wing outrage machine hasn't declared a fatwa on Rosie the goddamn Riveter, right? Right?

The feminists stole her the way gays stole rainbows!!!!!

Seriously, though, the message of the Rosie the Riveter propaganda was that women should work in the factories until the war is over, then go back to being homemakers. Using her as a feminist icon ignores her original meaning (not that that's a bad thing).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Defenestration posted:

is this macro telling me to let my kids run away and join the circus? I'm ok with that

Only if that's what you want the child wants! FAMILY FIRST

Suitaru posted:

Major shades of Poe's Law. The MSPainted A. Wyatt Mann caricature, the silly carnival-type font, the student is based on some meme or another... I mean, for chrissakes, the evil teacher is wearing a shirt of Rosie the Riveter. It has to be a joke that the guy took seriously. Surely the right-wing outrage machine hasn't declared a fatwa on Rosie the goddamn Riveter, right? Right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy was semi-ironically embracing the picture itself, but yeah he's homeschooled and a dyed-in-the-wool anarcho-cap with insane Freeper parents who have basically brainwashed my girlfriend's impressionable cousin into being a full-on Tea Partier who has posted image macros cheerleading Civil War 2 despite living in New Jersey, so the spirit of it lines up 100% with his earnestly-held politics.

The name of the Facebook page he shared from, "Muh Roads," is meant to mock people who doubt that anarcho-capitalism would work; those people tend to ask, as an example question, who would build the roads. He thinks that's a really stupid question because of course private corporations would build them to wherever roads are needed and not ask for more money than any person who might need a road to their house could afford.

Really though, we're just worried they're gonna try to "unschool" their kid and are hoping we can convince them to compromise and send her to a Catholic school or something even if LIBERAL PUBLIC SCHOOLS are too much to ask.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 12, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Suitaru posted:

It's really hard to tell, as a lot of /polsters are too young to seperate caricature and mockery for actual sensible arguments.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Seriously, though, the message of the Rosie the Riveter propaganda was that women should work in the factories until the war is over, then go back to being homemakers. Using her as a feminist icon ignores her original meaning (not that that's a bad thing).

I think there's different interpretations here. While there was definitely an expectation that women wouldn't work in the factories after the war, that wasn't explicitly tied to the Rosie symbol which was very much a call to arms for women to replace men in hard industrial jobs. That's still feminist, even if it was only inteded to be temporary - it's an admission that gendered work is a false construct.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 12, 2014

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SedanChair posted:

If I'm understanding this joke correctly, I wish I had not.
You are, and you're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copper rose petal
Apr 30, 2013
In my county, they are pushing for an expanded infrastructure project which would include expanded bus routes and a train. Predictably, the local Tea Party / 912 Patriots groups have lost their minds, and an interview with their Fearless Leader basically reads like TeaParty.txt

http://tbo.com/pinellas-county/pinellas-businesswoman-passionate-aversary-of-transit-plan-20140120/

this insane lady posted:

Haselden’s deep distrust of government is obvious. She suspects bus windows are tinted so residents will not be able to see how few people are onboard.

As for arguments that a government-owned bus network should serve low-population communities so that elderly, disabled or others who cannot drive or afford a car have access to transportation, Haselden says she doesn’t buy into that “guilt trip.”

“If you need to ride the bus, you live near the bus stop,” she said. “People will take care of their own problems.”

The daughter of a truck driver and a stay-at-home mom, Haselden’s belief in thriftiness and business values came from her upbringing in central Indiana.

“We weren’t rich, but we always seemed to have enough because they were hard workers,” she said.

gently caress the poor, if you need to ride the bus you live near the bus stop!