Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Boo Chuck Dixon. I liked your comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sadly Dixon's been a terrible human being for a long time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Sadly Dixon's been a terrible human being for a long time.

I will ignore this and pretend he disappeared in the late 90's, and he will be remembered fondly through his work with Nightwing and Robin.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He was terrible back then, too, always sneaking Christian rock or author references into the art background (names of books superheroes were reading or music they were listening to).

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Oracle posted:

He was terrible back then, too, always sneaking Christian rock or author references into the art background (names of books superheroes were reading or music they were listening to).

This is hilarious. Were Bruce, Dick, and Tim big Stryper fans?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude who writes the Punisher turns out to be a rightwing shitbag :monocle:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

This is hilarious. Were Bruce, Dick, and Tim big Stryper fans?
I honestly couldn't tell you as I had no idea and would not have noticed if he hadn't mentioned it in an interview where someone else asked him about it. He was fairly smug about it 'well as superheroes I think they would be interested in the kind of positive message these people had to tell.'

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

If Ennis ever turns out to be a shitbag :ohdear:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oracle posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you as I had no idea and would not have noticed if he hadn't mentioned it in an interview where someone else asked him about it. He was fairly smug about it 'well as superheroes I think they would be interested in the kind of positive message these people had to tell.'

Again, the Punisher!!

Castle all blowing away drug dealers while listening to the Newsboys on his iPod.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

Also thinks dark and gritty are bad things.

He wrote the loving punisher.

ComicAlliance actually has a good article going through it piece by piece.

My favorite is one second they are decrying "political correctness" while also yearning for the days of the comicscode.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

On a long enough time scale every creator ends up becoming the villain. Just read comics you like.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

TheManWithNoName posted:

On a long enough time scale every creator ends up becoming the villain. Just read comics you like.

A lot of the oldest ones are actually still rad dudes, but the Sergio Aragones 'Stache Report (still awesome) just doesn't make many headlines.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I got to wonder if Frank Miller was always....Frank Miller. I know his mind kind of snapped after 9/11 and he became...."educated" about Islam but I wonder what he was like in the 80's and 90's when he was writing kickass comic books.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Madkal posted:

I got to wonder if Frank Miller was always....Frank Miller. I know his mind kind of snapped after 9/11 and he became...."educated" about Islam but I wonder what he was like in the 80's and 90's when he was writing kickass comic books.

I bet Frank Miller and Dennis Miller were both great friends and they'd get together every Saturday and shout "It's Miller time!" and say real cool things about nineties politics that I'd agree with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This discussion, and that of Garth Ennis's The Pro in the funny panel threads, reminds me that Jim Steranko said all of this more than a decade ago (granted, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Just like his art Mobius will forever stand above this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

This discussion, and that of Garth Ennis's The Pro in the funny panel threads, reminds me that Jim Steranko said all of this more than a decade ago (granted, in the immediate aftermath of 9/11).

That's a pretty good article, especially right after :911:, but I think he overreacted to some hype in the advertising for The Pro. :shrug:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Jeff Smith says "Dave Sim? Who's Dave Sim?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So it kind of occurred to me the other day that most Marvel heroes don't really give a poo poo/have secret identities. While all the major DC dudes are hiding who they are, I think Spiderman and Daredevil are the only major Marvel dudes that try to protect their identities. (And Matt Murdock barely counts since everyone knows he's DD irl).

Now that I think about it most Marvel dudes don't even have day jobs.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

So it kind of occurred to me the other day that most Marvel heroes don't really give a poo poo/have secret identities. While all the major DC dudes are hiding who they are, I think Spiderman and Daredevil are the only major Marvel dudes that try to protect their identities. (And Matt Murdock barely counts since everyone knows he's DD irl).

Daredevil has recently announced that he is Daredevil and it got him disbarred. It is the reason he is in San Francisco.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

zoux posted:

Well Spider-Man did out himself. But then, well....you know.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I don't mean to get all anti-DC at a moment's notice, but the secret identity is just one of the many old cliches they've had since forever and won't give up. Most Marvel heroes(Cap, Iron Man, even the Fantastic Four and the X-Men) had secret identities for awhile, but dropped them as it became more obsolete. I'd say Spider-Man keeps his just because it's seen as an "important part of his character". Which it is, as long as he's eternally a teenager living with his aunt and working for someone who hates Spider-Man, and woo boy will Marvel be progressive as hell with their heroes but that's the one hill they wanna die on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Daredevil has recently announced that he is Daredevil and it got him disbarred. It is the reason he is in San Francisco.

He only recently admitted it, but it came out on the run before last and the previous one had pretty much everyone acknowledge it while he awkwardly denied it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

He only recently admitted it, but it came out on the run before last and the previous one had pretty much everyone acknowledge it while he awkwardly denied it.

I know it happened in the Bendis run. I am just pointing out that he is now not even hiding it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WickedHate posted:

I don't mean to get all anti-DC at a moment's notice, but the secret identity is just one of the many old cliches they've had since forever and won't give up.

The secret identity allows for some interesting stories when is taken into account like Barry's job as forensic investigator, Hal's ties with the air force or (in case of adaptations) the whole trust arc with Ollie on Arrow. Another interesting angle is giving a civil identity/life to someone who has always been a superhero/supervillian.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
To be honest, Superman and Batman are the only heroes I can really think of that really require a secret identity. Superman because the metaphor of the Superman/Clark dichotomy is too awesome to ever give up and can be interpreted in a lot of interesting ways. And Batman because he's too demystified otherwise.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The secret identity allows for some interesting stories when is taken into account like Barry's job as forensic investigator
Hilarious.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Barry is all kinds of awesome :colbert:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Really I don't see any problem with either approaches to superheroes. You can mine great stories out of secret identities and public personae. One isn't better than the other.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

Really I don't see any problem with either approaches to superheroes. You can mine great stories out of secret identities and public personae. One isn't better than the other.

Yeah, as long they keep doing good stories who cares?

Great piece about secret identities, by the way

Amusingly, went live today :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Madkal posted:

To an extent; there's absolutely nothing worthwhile about secret identities being kept from loved ones, and any good comic book made in at least the last 15 years knows it.

Seriously, "oh no, I'm late/have failed to do something/must be somewhere else/whatever, how can I possibly explain this?" is... calling it a dry well does an injustice to dry wells. It's beyond tapped out. It is desolate. The ground has been salted and it's also radioactive; nothing will ever grow there again. If you love someone, you trust them, and if you trust that person, just tell them your goddamn secret identity! I never ever ever want to read that story ever again, and lovely writers keep on trying to make me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

I don't mean to get all anti-DC at a moment's notice, but the secret identity is just one of the many old cliches they've had since forever and won't give up. Most Marvel heroes(Cap, Iron Man, even the Fantastic Four and the X-Men) had secret identities for awhile, but dropped them as it became more obsolete. I'd say Spider-Man keeps his just because it's seen as an "important part of his character". Which it is, as long as he's eternally a teenager living with his aunt and working for someone who hates Spider-Man, and woo boy will Marvel be progressive as hell with their heroes but that's the one hill they wanna die on.

I haven't read every issue of the Fantastic Four, but I have read the very first issue, and they didn't really have secret identities in that one.

It was kinda funny when they tried to give Dr. Strange a secret identity. Almost every villain he deals with is from a different plane of existence, why would knowing he lives in Greenwich Village change anything?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read every issue of the Fantastic Four, but I have read the very first issue, and they didn't really have secret identities in that one.

You're right; I reread where I heard that and I'd misread. I also forgot about Hulk and Thor timid handicapped doctor Donald Blake.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

To an extent; there's absolutely nothing worthwhile about secret identities being kept from loved ones, and any good comic book made in at least the last 15 years knows it.

Seriously, "oh no, I'm late/have failed to do something/must be somewhere else/whatever, how can I possibly explain this?" is... calling it a dry well does an injustice to dry wells. It's beyond tapped out. It is desolate. The ground has been salted and it's also radioactive; nothing will ever grow there again. If you love someone, you trust them, and if you trust that person, just tell them your goddamn secret identity! I never ever ever want to read that story ever again, and lovely writers keep on trying to make me.

I always treated the not telling the loved one your identity thing not to stem from a lack of trust, but rather a fear that that knowledge can be used against the hero and their partner.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Madkal posted:

I always treated the not telling the loved one your identity thing not to stem from a lack of trust, but rather a fear that that knowledge can be used against the hero and their partner.

But then when your nemesis finds out your ID he kills your girlfriend and she doesn't even know why.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Sue and Reed tried to move to the suburbs and wear disguises for a bit but then a neighbor got suspicious and sold them out to Mephisto.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the F4 almost wore masks in their first appearance and there is art showing them that way but they decided against it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, there's this stretch in the Tom DeFalco/Paul Ryan run (which I actually like :shobon:) where Ben is left with a facial scar by Wolverine's evil duplicate from Infinity War, so he looks out the full-face mask from the costume Sue designed him way back in FF #3 or whatever and starts wearing it to cover it up.

I think it was around the same time Reed started wearing a safari jacket and Sue's costume was a swimsuit with a "4"-shaped boob window.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, there's this stretch in the Tom DeFalco/Paul Ryan run (which I actually like :shobon:) where Ben is left with a facial scar by Wolverine's evil duplicate from Infinity War, so he looks out the full-face mask from the costume Sue designed him way back in FF #3 or whatever and starts wearing it to cover it up.

I think it was around the same time Reed started wearing a safari jacket and Sue's costume was a swimsuit with a "4"-shaped boob window.

I don't know what's more dumb, the boob window outfit, or the retconned excuse (it was Malice taking her over) because only EEEEVIL women expose their cleavage!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheManWithNoName posted:

Sue and Reed tried to move to the suburbs and wear disguises for a bit but then a neighbor got suspicious and sold them out to Mephisto.
To be fair to that nosy neighbour, she sold them out to a witch-hunter because she thought they were witches, and the witch-hunter went kind of mental and pulled up Mephisto because Sue and Reed kept insisting they weren't witches.

Gaz-L posted:

I don't know what's more dumb, the boob window outfit, or the retconned excuse (it was Malice taking her over) because only EEEEVIL women expose their cleavage!
I'm loathe to call it a retcon because it was very obviously a character arc that started with Malice taking her over (ostensibly as an excuse to change her character up a little with an easy-out) - but it was a loving awful outfit that had some other character every few issues comment on how loving awful and out-of-character it was, and the cleavage window was only one of several sins against good taste that that outfit had going on, so I would've accepted midichlorians as an excuse to get rid of it. She wore the costume for several issues after Malice was expelled, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

zoux posted:

Daredevil is going to be the first hero with a Secret Identity in the movie universe now too I guess.

• Locked thread