Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Do you think Isaac has swirly nipples already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
RE: Possession chat, is it possible that RJ might be possessed? They've been exceptionally quiet about all this spirit business, and it'd explain the completely-shadowed face and radical-hair-beneath-a-hood.

But, then again, so would Artistic License, so maybe I'm overthinking. v:v:v

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Basically if Isaac wanted to, he could force his spirit to stay inside him and keep using his powers.

Which I suspect is mostly likely the arrangement with Spender and Shadow Monster, or at least it probably will be when he heals.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Which I suspect is mostly likely the arrangement with Spender and Shadow Monster, or at least it probably will be when he heals.

Since Lucifer has to help keep it in check, the shadow monster is likely already healed. A still-injured spirit would probably not be trying to get out or control an experienced spectral since it would be risking destruction that way. It'll be interesting if the shadow monster is mostly just angry that Spender keeps it against its will (for the greater good of course).

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
I've been rereading chunks over the past week and got reminded that Spender defeated the STRONGEST SPIRIT:
http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=244
For the sake of a good narrative, said spirit probably possessed a tool or medium, the most obvious culprit being Spender himself, though scrapdragon isn't out of consideration.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

snucks posted:

I've been rereading chunks over the past week and got reminded that Spender defeated the STRONGEST SPIRIT:
For the sake of a good narrative, said spirit probably possessed a tool or medium, the most obvious culprit being Spender himself, though scrapdragon isn't out of consideration.

The strongest spirit possessed him and keeping said spirit in check requires such a large amount of the power of Spender and Lucifer he's a joke now; meaning at some point it will get loose and Spender will Bankai

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Poison Mushroom posted:

RE: Possession chat, is it possible that RJ might be possessed? They've been exceptionally quiet about all this spirit business, and it'd explain the completely-shadowed face and radical-hair-beneath-a-hood.

But, then again, so would Artistic License, so maybe I'm overthinking. v:v:v

I jokingly mentioned it a while back, but I do think it's at least possible. If nothing else Zach seems to like to put little hints at poo poo in his art, so it might mean something. Or it might just mean that RJ's hair is super-fabulous.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

snucks posted:

Scrapdragon isn't likely anyways, if only for the fact that he probably wouldn't KO the spirit and then leave the object it possesses in some random closet at the school.

Actually, if Scrapdragon is a Big Deal, how did that bat even end up there?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Spender said something about how the spirit within "engineered" it's encounter with Max.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

sirtommygunn posted:

Spender said something about how the spirit within "engineered" it's encounter with Max.

It was also said that spirits in tools do that in general, so it isn't unique to Scrapdragon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I thought it was pretty much explicitly stated somewhere that Scrapdragon is a piece of the Strongest Spirit ("I didn't end up with the sense of humor"), and implied that the LSI was another piece.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

I thought it was pretty much explicitly stated somewhere that Scrapdragon is a piece of the Strongest Spirit ("I didn't end up with the sense of humor"), and implied that the LSI was another piece.

This is still just a theory, and has never been confirmed. For all we know, Scrapdragon is just some random spirit, and LSI is his buddy.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wonder why the scrapdragon's so threatened by Max? I mean, first thing it does on seeing him is armour up, and it goes thrashing around madly at the slightest touch of the baseball bat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RickoniX posted:

The strongest spirit possessed him and keeping said spirit in check requires such a large amount of the power of Spender and Lucifer he's a joke now; meaning at some point it will get loose and Spender will Bankai
So shadow tentacle is the Adamantium to Spender's healing factor.
:goonsay:

scalded schlong posted:

Wonder why the scrapdragon's so threatened by Max? I mean, first thing it does on seeing him is armour up, and it goes thrashing around madly at the slightest touch of the baseball bat.
I think he's more pissed. Max shows up unannounced when he's having a naked snack, then bops him on the nose. He's just showing a Firm Hand with his Spectral.

There was pretty much no evidence of the "maybe it was someone else talking through Max" theory up until now, but Scrappy really isn't acting like a master manipulator right now. But if Max is possessed, when could it have happened? Do possessed people count as objects that can be smuggled through the barrier?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isaac has to use excuses to use the Ghost Train to leave town, so I assume not.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, unless there's a way for a spirit to possess someone without awakening their abilities as a Spectral, any possible second spirit would have had to possess him after he got into Mayview. It's not explicitly stated but the comic seems to be suggesting that Isaac's Spectral awakening was due to the storm god's possession, further supporting that. This raises something interesting, though; on the one hand, Scrapdragon is looking less and less like this supposed "schemer", unless it's a really good actor or it takes on a different attitude when in a form other than a giant snake-monster. Also, the Doorman accused it of having no powers beyond "riddles and word games", but our giant pal here clearly has quite a bit of power. Unless the Doorman's really dismissive of magnetism and being the size of a small skyscraper.

On the other hand, though, a second spirit, barring again the idea that a person can be possessed without becoming a Spectral, must have possessed Max after he entered Marview. This raises the question of when, how, and if there's anything in the comic we can see to figure this out. But that has me confused, because on the one hand, I doubt Zack's the kind of writer who would pull a twist like that and say that it happened offscreen. On the other hand, being able to figure out when and how it happened now feels... I don't know, too early, I suppose. This seems like it should be a big twist, not one where someone can pour over the old pages and go "oh, here it is" so long before the big reveal.

So, yeah. When I look at this my thoughts against the first thing are based on the text, and the ones against the second are metatextual. I'm not sure which way it will go, really, but at the moment unless someone finds something surprising we never noticed before I'm imagining towards the next page being Scrappy going, "Nah, just loving with you, kid. Also god you suck at this Spectral poo poo." (This is probably not what will happen but I want to call it now because if it does that will be hilarious.)

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Honestly the only way I can see it working and not being a little off is if Max was possessed before he got to Mayview and it just didn't awaken his spectral powers. Maybe he was possessed and the spirit that did the possessing lay dormant or something, entirely so it could sneak into Mayview?

Comedy option: Max is possessed by the ghost of his mom, series takes a sharp Evangelion turn.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Nah it's PJ.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Splicer posted:

Nah it's Johnny.

I concur.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Poison Mushroom posted:

Far from explicitly stated. A much simpler way to read that exchange is that he's sarcastically saying that while he may have Max's body he doesn't have the sense of humor.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, unless there's a way for a spirit to possess someone without awakening their abilities as a Spectral, any possible second spirit would have had to possess him after he got into Mayview. It's not explicitly stated but the comic seems to be suggesting that Isaac's Spectral awakening was due to the storm god's possession, further supporting that. This raises something interesting, though; on the one hand, Scrapdragon is looking less and less like this supposed "schemer", unless it's a really good actor or it takes on a different attitude when in a form other than a giant snake-monster. Also, the Doorman accused it of having no powers beyond "riddles and word games", but our giant pal here clearly has quite a bit of power. Unless the Doorman's really dismissive of magnetism and being the size of a small skyscraper.

He doesn't have those powers outside Max's head so the statement is still strictly true.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Far from explicitly stated. A much simpler way to read that exchange is that he's sarcastically saying that while he may have Max's body he doesn't have the sense of humor.

I took it as him talking about a sibling or other faction member whom I assume is known for being the funny one.

Also, everybody knows RJ is possessed by PJ. Johnny is possessed by Left, that's why we only ever see Johnny punch with his right hand.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

We do know that being possessed will turn you into a spectral over some period of time, but not how long. We know it is slower than instantaneous, and Zack has said it depends on how many other factors they encounter (like eating too much citrus).

Max could have been possessed pre-mayview, which might explain why he is suddenly able to see ghosts and stuff right after entering, but only as the vague shadow stuff that newbies get.

Or he could not be possessed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If he is, we'd likely see it in the next page or two, since two spirits linked to the same person occupy the same mindscape. Given that we haven't seen anybody else in the past couple pages however, my money is on Scrapdragon being the only entity on Max thus far. Which of course, beggers the question as to why he hasn't spoken thus far, but I suppose we'll find that out on Friday or on Monday.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, if we're looking for powerful ghost fragments and stuff... anyone been keeping track of Lefty?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Isaac's a classy anime.

Tunicate posted:

So, if we're looking for powerful ghost fragments and stuff... anyone been keeping track of Lefty?

Lefty's no spirit, he's just a ghost.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who Lefty is a ghost of is another interesting question, really. He was able to do a spec-shot, which as far as we know isn't standard ghost knowledge, (and Forge seemed to think using spectral energy as a weapon was strange, and he's been around for a while so he'd have probably seen it if it was something capable ghosts could do in general) so... The ghost of one of Grandpa's students, and possibly a member of the Activity Consortium?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

gently caress you Max, vanilla is delicious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vanilla is delicious but vanilla and chocolate Swirl is basically just watered-down chocolate.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wait so eightfold can eat* not only paper but basically just wood?

*COULD eat. Guess it's not eating anything anymore HAHAhahahaha ha ha... :(

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, what she's actually eating is the WORDS on the paper. And the paper itself is just leftover wast that she magically controls. So presumably she could slurp the words off of other things.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Blackheart posted:

*COULD eat. Guess it's not eating anything anymore HAHAhahahaha ha ha... :(
Too soon. No amount of apologies can paper that over, so you better book it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MikeJF posted:

Vanilla is delicious but vanilla and chocolate Swirl is basically just watered-down chocolate.

It really is. Unless you take a bite of only vanilla you can only taste the chocolate anyway. Sometimes even then. The ice cream is entirely dominated by the chocolate, which is unfortunate because if you could actually get the flavor of both together instead of it just being chocolate it'd probably be delicious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Agreed but I'm gonna have to motion for a sub clause to this bill in which the validity of vanilla with chocolate syrup is acknowledged

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What you'd need to do is add more vanilla flavoring. Your average vanilla ice cream is going to have the flavor more diluted than chocolate is. The best ice cream I ever had was done from scratch in a plastic bag in a chemistry class. Monkeying around with the flavor ratios is the best.

Of course, Spender's getting soft-serve anyways, so I wouldn't expect all that much out of it. (even better for metaphors)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lefty's no spirit, he's just a ghost.

Well, as far as we know, unless some fan asked whathisname about it I guess.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Who Lefty is a ghost of is another interesting question, really. He was able to do a spec-shot, which as far as we know isn't standard ghost knowledge, (and Forge seemed to think using spectral energy as a weapon was strange, and he's been around for a while so he'd have probably seen it if it was something capable ghosts could do in general) so... The ghost of one of Grandpa's students, and possibly a member of the Activity Consortium?

Look when you're nothing but a hand you do a lot of finger-strength-acknowledging

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Well, as far as we know, unless some fan asked whathisname about it I guess.

Yeah, but I'm gonna take PJ's word on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Haha, I never noticed the little red guy mocking Max.