Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

Storywise it's interesting how the endgame bosses' gimmicks are focused on artificial immortality.

I dunno, Nito looked pretty natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If you've been summoned as a white phantom, why can't I drink the health flash?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

If you've been summoned as a white phantom, why can't I drink the health flash?

Phantoms can't drink estus. You can heal to full if you use a Humanity item, which most players end up doing if they pvp or co-op a lot, or by casting a healing miracle, but otherwise you're out of luck.
White/Gold phantoms are healed when the host uses an estus, which is nice.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Action Tortoise posted:

Storywise it's interesting how the endgame bosses' gimmicks are focused on artificial immortality.

Nito did nothing wrong. The other Lord Souls are either evil, insane, or worthless. Nito just been doing what he always has been since time immemorial. And we're all horrible for killing him. Luckily, those of us sane enough to kill the gross monster at the end of the Painted World can maybe come out even on the whole deal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Does Sif's soul sign not appear in the Manus fight if you kill him in the future or is it just loving invisible? I saved him specifically because I thought it'd make this fight cool but it is impossible to find in the arena.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Manatee Cannon posted:

Does Sif's soul sign not appear in the Manus fight if you kill him in the future or is it just loving invisible? I saved him specifically because I thought it'd make this fight cool but it is impossible to find in the arena.
It's a bit tricky to spot since it's close the the middle of the arena and kinda blends into the ground from what i remember. Occasionally you get some joker putting a message directly on top of the summon sign too.

I usually do the DLC last, so defeating "big" sif before going into the past and rescuing the young version worked fine for me every time i did it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't play online since I lost my GFWL login so there's no messages to trick me, I just pure cannot find it. I spent like ten minutes circling the arena staring at the ground before Manus killed me. Might not be worth the effort but it just seemed like such a cool thing. :sigh:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sif is a bad fighter that barely deals damage, is terribly passive and usually doesn't last long whenever Manus is focused on him, but i still summon every time. :allears:
Obligatory stupid question: you know you have to be human to see the summon sign right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Should I do the Artorias DLC before fighting Sif? I need to do the painted world still but other than that Sif would be next for me if not the DLC

Edit: or rather, does it matter at all, since I want to get the Great Shield of Artorias

Jose fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 11, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Sif is a bad fighter that barely deals damage, is terribly passive and usually doesn't last long whenever Manus is focused on him, but i still summon every time. :allears:
Obligatory stupid question: you know you have to be human to see the summon sign right?

Yeah I was human and have around ~40 humanity in my inventory so I have time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jose posted:

Should I do the Artorias DLC before fighting Sif? I need to do the painted world still but other than that Sif would be next for me if not the DLC

Edit: or rather, does it matter at all, since I want to get the Great Shield of Artorias

Doing Artorias first lets you see a different intro to Sif's fight. That's about it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Action Tortoise posted:

Doing Artorias first lets you see a different intro to Sif's fight. That's about it.
I had never even heard of this. Can you link to a video?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Odd posted:

Nito did nothing wrong. The other Lord Souls are either evil, insane, or worthless. Nito just been doing what he always has been since time immemorial. And we're all horrible for killing him. Luckily, those of us sane enough to kill the gross monster at the end of the Painted World can maybe come out even on the whole deal.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I had never even heard of this. Can you link to a video?
Normal cutscene.
Alternate cutscene
Also I think the alternate cutscene is triggered by saving Sif in the Chasm of the Abyss, not beating Artorias.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Raygereio posted:

Normal cutscene.
Alternate cutscene
Also I think the alternate cutscene is triggered by saving Sif in the Chasm of the Abyss, not beating Artorias.

Yeah you're right you have to fight Manus but you don't need to have Sif in the fight.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Where do you get lore info in-game? All these wiki articles seem to know back story but where the hell are they getting this info from?

I beat Quaalaag, then met her brother or someshit, Ceaseless Discharge. Cool dude knows how to party.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Most lore comes from item descriptions, item locations, some enemy and boss locations, a couple npcs that exposit a lot, and people's wild imaginations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It mostly comes from item descriptions and occasionally NPC dialogue. For example Quelana tells you most of the story of what happened with the Witch of Izalith, and the Orange Charred Ring that you get later fills in some tidbits of what's the deal with Ceaseless Discharge.

The wikis are just able to combine all the disjointed information into one place.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I wish Fromsoft game wikis had source citing requirements. "Quelaag is Ceaseless Discharge's sister" should have a cite to the item description of the Orange Charred ring, like that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, the in-game item descriptions and NPC monologues is probably the source of 99% of what we know for sure, the rest is pure conjecture and frequently a wishful thinking :v: Some of the better known lore mongers are VaatiVidya and EpicNameBro on YouTube, the main difference between them being that the former is giving his own interpretation and the latter is going (strictly?) off the known things without really adding much of his own. This might not be an accurate representation, though, it's just my feeling.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

pun pundit posted:

I wish Fromsoft game wikis had source citing requirements. "Quelaag is Ceaseless Discharge's sister" should have a cite to the item description of the Orange Charred ring, like that.
The wikidot wiki for DS2 is pretty good with the citations. The one for DS1 less so. The wikia wiki for DS1 has some citations at least.

I certainly could wish for more. Also a lot of cites seem to be for the collector's edition strategy guide.

quote:

The sisters of Chaos gave Ceaseless Discharge the Orange Charred Ring to lessen his pain. However, he mistakenly drops it, and thus, the Centipede Demon emerged from the very spot.[1]

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was hoping for a Mass Effect style lore section. Mass Effect had those cool audio recordings with the one guy with the voice narrating them. Spared no expense.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KoRMaK posted:

Spared no expense.
Except when it came to inventory interface design, QA, and building a diverse set of resources to use for creating side-mission combat zones. I mean, I liked the game overall but it had a lot of rough edges.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like inferring things than having them explicitly stated. From what I've read in the wikidot the only time the game name drops its title is if you beat the Four Kings before giving up the Lordvessel.

My favorite part of the game is the Artorias DLC. It's set in the past version of Darkroot and if you pay attention to certain landmarks you can recognize where you would be in the present day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What armour do people like to use when using a really heavy weapon + great shield that keeps them under the fat roll limit but offers good poise? What rings too

Edit: I've got 29 End and using Havel's + ring of favour and protection currently

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 11, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's impossible to tell generally since we don't know what weapon/shield you use, there are big differences in weight even among the heavy weapons and greatshields. I'd say you'd need much more endurance to rock something with decent poise while rocking a big weapon and greatshield, I haven't really researched it myself but it probably makes sense that heavier armor offers more poise.

On my big stick + shield run I usually used the Gold-Hemmed set with a a weapon and greatshield of choice which allowed me to get fast roll. It has zero poise but you can usually block everything with shield or roll away to safety.

Try using the character planner at https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Jose posted:

What armour do people like to use when using a really heavy weapon + great shield that keeps them under the fat roll limit but offers good poise? What rings too

Edit: I've got 29 End and using Havel's + ring of favour and protection currently

The Wolf Ring and the best looking light/medium armor I can find, together with either Havel's or FaP depending on how I roll, literally. I never rely on armor for defense, and this way I get more poise for less equip weight - plus I generally prefer the look of light and medium armor! Refer to this to figure out how much poise you need for your playstyle, ie what attacks you want to facetank.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Havel's gauntlets for poise, pretty sure a hollow soldier armor with those puts you at 36 poise, which is a PvP breakpoint. Rest naked. Maybe a hat if you have a good hat.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Havel's gauntlets for poise, pretty sure a hollow soldier armor with those puts you at 36 poise, which is a PvP breakpoint. Rest naked. Maybe a hat if you have a good hat.

This would be an appropriate point to quote that picture of everyone's favorite yellow turban on the CE-modified giant head, looming far over Firelink with an unlocked camera. It was in the thread a few months back.

Unfortunately, I can't find it. :saddowns:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was just fighting the boss in Sen's Fortress (the iron golem?) and I was having abit of a difficult time.

Until I disabled the lock-on system and got a much better view of the arena/enemy animations. Holy hell does that make a difference!

Did I hamstring myself by locking on to every enemy I encountered so far?!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nah, lock on is good for the majority of enemies. It's only large bosses, like the golem, that it can be more of a hindrance.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

After the Stray demon fight at undead asylum I am usually locked off and only lately have I been locking on for a couple brief moments to strike or shield. I notice my index finger is always on the run button the controller now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Always Be Targeting

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pun pundit posted:

The devs have even stated who he is in an interview, you'd think they could put that in there somewhere.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Always Be Targeting

Except when you shouldn't, ie when going to cut off tails.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In general, I find targeting hurts more than it helps on very large monsters where you need to be in a specific place (Try Rear) on them to attack effectively. For example, Asylum Demon and its varients, or Gaping Dragon.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My rule of thumb is to target if the enemy can fit entirely on screen, otherwise free aim.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
If you can outrun their line of sight and get to their blind spots, then don't target them. Otherwise if you're fighting bosses who are big but have really good mobility like Sif or Smough, keep them locked in your sights.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I actually forgot I could target enemies and didn't use that feature until I got to O&S when I found it an absolute necessity. I almost never stop using it after that, which sometimes caused me problems against the larger enemies where the camera just twisted about and left me confused as what was going on.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Semi-not-relevant, but thought it was fun: I'm stuck with my craptop a few more days, unable to play DS, so I'm watching Squints Let's Play of Demon's Souls.

Just got to part 33, with the story he's telling while grinding for black world tendency:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Ivf0O0Llo&t=226s

Great stuff.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Do NPC phantoms heal if I use Estus? I know players heal but can I keep an NPC alive for a little longer for some fights?

• Locked thread