Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Do you mean Boxed 58?

I try and avoid Lubbock at all costs, but seems that I'm at AMA at least once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He's probably thinking RAKE58, the beechjet.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

The Ferret King posted:

Someone is doing overhead breaks in a beechjet? :jerkbag:

Overhead breaks should be restricted to military aircraft or airshows. Exceptions can be made for anything slower than a 172 if done ironically.

Edit: It occurs to me that with a call sign like "rake" there's a pretty good chance it is a military beechjet (is the t-1 a beechjet?) in which case they're excused.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 11, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
For anyone here that flies the CRJ, are they difficult to slow down on an approach for some reason?

Going into SEA, it's pretty common to be asked to maintain 170kt to the FAF for spacing, and the only aircraft I've seen consistently have trouble with that have been CRJ's (I think -7 or 900's). On quite a few occasions, I've been asked to slow early, due to a 20 or 30kt overtake on a CRJ that slowed significantly before they're supposed to, but since everything else from 777's to Q400's seem to be able to comply with that request, I'm curious if it's something with the aircraft or just crews not following directions.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

Someone is doing overhead breaks in a beechjet? :jerkbag:

Overhead breaks should be restricted to military aircraft or airshows. Exceptions can be made for anything slower than a 172 if done ironically.

Edit: It occurs to me that with a call sign like "rake" there's a pretty good chance it is a military beechjet (is the t-1 a beechjet?) in which case they're excused.

Yes, the T1. They fly a lot around here from Laughlin and Randolph AFB.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

azflyboy posted:

For anyone here that flies the CRJ, are they difficult to slow down on an approach for some reason?

Going into SEA, it's pretty common to be asked to maintain 170kt to the FAF for spacing, and the only aircraft I've seen consistently have trouble with that have been CRJ's (I think -7 or 900's). On quite a few occasions, I've been asked to slow early, due to a 20 or 30kt overtake on a CRJ that slowed significantly before they're supposed to, but since everything else from 777's to Q400's seem to be able to comply with that request, I'm curious if it's something with the aircraft or just crews not following directions.

The spoilers on the 700/900 are not that effective. So if you get slam dunked into an approach from altitude and 250kts (I am looking at you DTW) then it can be a pain as you have to hold the nose up to bleed airspeed. Once you are under 220kts you can start dumping flaps but it still takes a bit of time if you wanna lose both altitude and speed at once.

My company's profile has you flying at 180kts till 5nm out for whatever reason, which may be a similar profile at other airlines. Normally anything below 170kts and you are fully dirty and configured.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I guess having props is nice for that reason. No problems ever slowing down!

(cause you're already slow ha ha ha)

I just started ground training for the V-22. No aero lessons yet so my mind hasn't been completely blown but jesus christ the systems :stare: I'm just glad its all computer controlled lets say that.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

The Ferret King posted:

Ahh yeah, forgot about them. Rake/Maze are Laughlin, and Vandy/Loot/Evil/Boxed are Vance.

Overhead 250 kias breaks are the fastest way to get anywhere, although students usually do them at 200.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 12, 2014

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bob A Feet posted:

I just started ground training for the V-22. No aero lessons yet so my mind hasn't been completely blown but jesus christ the systems :stare: I'm just glad its all computer controlled lets say that.

When you get done training you sure as poo poo better adhere a gopro somewhere on your mellon for some sweet sweet in-action-TO and landing footage. :colbert:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duke Chin posted:

When you get done training you sure as poo poo better adhere a gopro somewhere on your mellon for some sweet sweet in-action-TO and landing footage. :colbert:

A gopro on a V-22 would cancel out inherent crashiness I assume, just make sure there are no doctors on board.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

xaarman posted:

You workin tonight?

On vacation currently, any chance to get out of Amarillo I take.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

azflyboy posted:

The main problem with slowing the CRJ 700 is that you can't put out flaps until 230 knots and can't put out gear until 220 so if you're told to slow from 250 knots it's going to take a while, especially if you're on a glide slope. Once you start getting flaps out you can slow down about as well as any other jet.

I don't know what the problem is with people holding 170-180 knots to the marker though. We do 180 to the marker all the time and never have any problems slowing. The only thing I can think of is that if ATC says 170 *or better* to the marker we'll probably slow to 170 immediately whereas a -8 guy may hold 200+ because they can use those big rear end props to slow down in a hurry.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

The main problem with slowing the CRJ 700 is that you can't put out flaps until 230 knots and can't put out gear until 220 so if you're told to slow from 250 knots it's going to take a while, especially if you're on a glide slope. Once you start getting flaps out you can slow down about as well as any other jet.

Where are you flying where you're doing 250kts on glideslope? Aren't busier terminal areas slowing guys to 230kts 50nm out?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

I don't know what the problem is with people holding 170-180 knots to the marker though. We do 180 to the marker all the time and never have any problems slowing. The only thing I can think of is that if ATC says 170 *or better* to the marker we'll probably slow to 170 immediately whereas a -8 guy may hold 200+ because they can use those big rear end props to slow down in a hurry.

I'd say 95% of the airplanes I've seen (CRJ's included) have no trouble complying with that restriction, but since the aircraft that mess it up tend to create problems for the several aircraft behind them, they tend to get remembered a bit more.

My assumption was that it was a case of some flight crews having trouble following directions, but I was curious if there was something with the CRJ that made those instructions harder to follow.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

Where are you flying where you're doing 250kts on glideslope? Aren't busier terminal areas slowing guys to 230kts 50nm out?

LAX does this all the time. ORD does it pretty frequently too depending on flow direction/runway assignment. I tend to do a lot of night flying and if you're coming into pretty much any class B airport at 0130 local they'll usually let you fly as fast as you want.

azflyboy posted:

My assumption was that it was a case of some flight crews having trouble following directions, but I was curious if there was something with the CRJ that made those instructions harder to follow.

AA md-80 drivers are the worst. They'll slow down early and won't take a high speed unless they're doing less than 10 knots. Then they taxi slightly slower than my Grandma goes in her powerchair.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 12, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

KodiakRS posted:

AA md-80 drivers are the worst. They'll slow down early and won't take a high speed unless they're doing less than 10 knots. Then they taxi slightly slower than my Grandma goes in her powerchair.

American ruins it for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0fVI4l8KQM&t=150s

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 12, 2014

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Animal posted:

The spoilers on the 700/900 are not that effective. So if you get slam dunked into an approach from altitude and 250kts (I am looking at you DTW) then it can be a pain as you have to hold the nose up to bleed airspeed. Once you are under 220kts you can start dumping flaps but it still takes a bit of time if you wanna lose both altitude and speed at once.

My company's profile has you flying at 180kts till 5nm out for whatever reason, which may be a similar profile at other airlines. Normally anything below 170kts and you are fully dirty and configured.

That's because all those Flagship guys in DTW love the slam dunk. :D

If you're based there I'm sure you already know this but if the controller gives you 4k on the midfield downwind freq change, you're getting slam dunked. If they've given you 210 speed, since the -200 cannot drop flaps, we routinely cheat to 200, get the flaps out, then nose her over to speed back up. Flaps 20 with boards is usually enough. In the winter when we can't be at idle it can be a challenge.

The -200 can fly 170 knots at Flaps 30 and even sometimes flaps 20 depending on weight, all without the gear out (unless we are high). Sometimes its best to level a bit, get the speed back into the flap range, then dive back to GS.

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jun 13, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Bob A Feet posted:

oh god such a cool plane. Got to work with them in New Mexico.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Atlanta Hartsfield tower controller has a lapse of judgment, tells a Delta 777 to go around for no reason, then says "just kidding:"

http://tinyurl.com/o3fyjg4

quote:

ATLANTA (CBS46) -

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a potentially dangerous prank an air-traffic controller played on a pilot.

Delta Flight 630, loaded with passengers from Japan, was about to land at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport on Wednesday afternoon when an unnamed controller told the pilot not to.

The controller immediately said he was just joking, but the pilot had already aborted his landing and could not resume the touchdown.

Just prior, the flight crew of that 777 was making a broadcast to their base operations asking about gate availability, but inadvertently transmitting on the control tower frequency.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 14, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Got to work with them in New Mexico.

Creepy, you posted this within minutes of us landing in ABQ, right next to a bunch of v-22's.

Speaking of Ospreys; Back when I was a student I worked at the flight school as a flight follower/student dispatcher. One of our duties during opening was to inventory all the airplanes to make sure none had wandered off in the middle of the night. One morning all of our airplanes were accounted for except for a single Seminole which was down for MX. Assuming that it was still in the hanger I unlocked the door to see that our Seminole was indeed in the hangar...and it had company.

The story was that it had flown into icing which is apparently some kind of big no-no on for the V-22 and had to divert to our filed. Our hanger was the only one big enough for it to squeeze into. It was there for a few days while they changed out both engines.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I got a break in Ottawas weather and did an introductory aerobatic flight.

Did a few wing overs and rolls and one loop. Lots of fun and I recommend everyone do something like that to get a feel for how your body reacts to G forces and to see that unusual attitudes are nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Was nice to go up in a plane with some power even if it was only 180hp.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

helno posted:

I got a break in Ottawas weather and did an introductory aerobatic flight.

Did a few wing overs and rolls and one loop. Lots of fun and I recommend everyone do something like that to get a feel for how your body reacts to G forces and to see that unusual attitudes are nothing to get bent out of shape over.

Was nice to go up in a plane with some power even if it was only 180hp.

As, that was you! I was the dishelved hobbit MST3King the stock footage we were watching.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

Atlanta Hartsfield tower controller has a lapse of judgment, tells a Delta 777 to go around for no reason, then says "just kidding:"

http://tinyurl.com/o3fyjg4

Just prior, the flight crew of that 777 was making a broadcast to their base operations asking about gate availability, but inadvertently transmitting on the control tower frequency.

He shouldn't have said just kidding. How did the media get a hold
Of this? Somebody cried about it to the public?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Because they're publicly available streams

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Yeah you're not getting away with a lapse in judgement like that at an airport as busy as ATL.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well maybe he thought there was a go around condition but then quickly saw that it wasn't actually a problem.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

hobbesmaster posted:

Well maybe he thought there was a go around condition but then quickly saw that it wasn't actually a problem.

I would like this to be reality.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
You have to look at the Atlanta incident in context. I listened to the audio and it's not like the controller just said "go around" with no rhyme or reason other than to make a joke. The controller asked the Delta 777 which gate they were parking at and they responded by saying that they were unsure and they didn't know if it was clear. At that point, the controller made a poorly worded joke and meant it like "haha, you don't have a gate, guess you'll have to go around" and it wasn't interpreted that way nor should it have been. Any sensible aviator should have done the exact same thing without any question. Whatever though, move on. If people are really that butt-hurt about it, have Delta send the FAA a bill for the gas.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

As, that was you! I was the dishelved hobbit MST3King the stock footage we were watching.

So whats the deal with the epaulets at OAS? I take it it is a part of the college course?

I felt like Paul Bertorelli was going to jump out and bitch at everyone for flying wide circuits.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

helno posted:

So whats the deal with the epaulets at OAS? I take it it is a part of the college course?

I felt like Paul Bertorelli was going to jump out and bitch at everyone for flying wide circuits.

Yes. We have to wear the shirts and epaulets at all times unless we are renting or staff.

Me too. Hence why I was cracking so many lame lame jokes.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
This is weird, there are at least 3 OAS people in this thread and at least 3 others on Reddit. I'm an instructor there now. I'm watching. Govern yourselves accordingly ;)

In other news, I did my first revenue flight on the weekend (actually while these other two were out guys in this thread were out too). helno, I was up in the Cessna in the practice area while you guys were flying aeros. It was cool, an intro/sightseeing flight so I didn't have to be super concerned with the lessons being taught. Nice way of easing into it I think. I've got my first actual instructional flight this evening (Intro; Attitudes & Movements), provided some forecast storms hold off a bit!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Desi posted:

This is weird, there are at least 3 OAS people in this thread and at least 3 others on Reddit. I'm an instructor there now. I'm watching. Govern yourselves accordingly ;)

In other news, I did my first revenue flight on the weekend (actually while these other two were out guys in this thread were out too). helno, I was up in the Cessna in the practice area while you guys were flying aeros. It was cool, an intro/sightseeing flight so I didn't have to be super concerned with the lessons being taught. Nice way of easing into it I think. I've got my first actual instructional flight this evening (Intro; Attitudes & Movements), provided some forecast storms hold off a bit!

Uh oh. That means you heard my radio calls.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Speaking of Ospreys; Back when I was a student I worked at the flight school as a flight follower/student dispatcher. One of our duties during opening was to inventory all the airplanes to make sure none had wandered off in the middle of the night. One morning all of our airplanes were accounted for except for a single Seminole which was down for MX. Assuming that it was still in the hanger I unlocked the door to see that our Seminole was indeed in the hangar...and it had company.

The story was that it had flown into icing which is apparently some kind of big no-no on for the V-22 and had to divert to our filed. Our hanger was the only one big enough for it to squeeze into. It was there for a few days while they changed out both engines.

I trained at DAY extensively between June and August 2005, notable because the Dayton Air Show takes place right in the middle of Summer. That year, an F-117, which had departed the pattern following its demonstration, suffered an engine failure and had to come back to DAY. The repair work was done inside the hangar of one of the FBOs down the ramp from our hangar. (Why they didn't take it to WPAFB, I don't know.)

Several of us walked down one day to see if we could have a close-up look while they were working. The first couple to get to the hangar were turned back and told "No, and don't come back". Apparently you can look all you want unless the cowling is off.

Needless to say, there was a bit of rubbernecking on the part of students and CFIs headed to and from 24L/6R/36.

Our hangar was also used for a B-25 the next year.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Could you go ahead and update the OP for me?

Shavnir - KTKI - PPL ASEL

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Shavnir posted:

Aw yeah son. :cheers:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ok. Enough of this thread and my jealousy at you ppls. Can anyone recommend a good flight school in the San Antonio area(I don't mind Austin). I love to fly and really wanna make it a fun hobby.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
You should look at Redbird Skyport, they have a novel approach to training with simulations and real flight.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Weirdest night flight ever. We were at KCXY but the tower was closed and there's some airspace issues there as the D is literally right up on Harrisburg International (KMDT)
Seriously, look up KCXY/KMDT and you'll ... see what I'm talking about. I called up Harrisburg approach really quick to query what people typically do there and they said pretty much that we'd be very in the way and call up approach for a squawk and just talk on unicom as well as talk to Harrisburg tower. We decided gently caress it, we'll go do 2 of the landings at Harrisburg since it's a bigger runway, the VASI was working, and at least that way the airspace issue isn't something we have to deal with. There are, however, some sketchy terrain/very tall obstacles making that a weird, weird night flight where we kept very tight patterns. drat.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Shavnir posted:

Congrats! OP Updated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
So there's going to be an air show at KHIF starting tomorrow, which is going to be awesome since the thunderbirds are in town and I've already seen some cool poo poo flying in for the event.:woop:

What's not so awesome is the TFR that's going to severely handicap my instructing for the next 3 days.:smithcloud:

• Locked thread