Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

I appreciate this post but apparently I'm too much of a noob to follow well.

Who's Licia? The miracle-selling lady?

I guess I could look at a map to understand the path you've suggested better.

Licia is the cleric lady who speaks all suspiciously, the one you find after Dragonrider. You need to have exhausted her dialogue to move her to Majula, where she unlocks the path to the Copse.

You can burn a bonfire ascetic the lockaway bonfire in the Copse to respawn the Skeleton Lords after killing them; killing them at bonfire intensity 2 or higher gives you the Blue Clearstone Ring+2, which gives a significant boost to casting speed.

Iron Keep is the lava place and is the final area on the path that starts with the Copse. You need the large ember there to bring to McDuff in the Bastille, allowing you to infuse weapons with elemental making them better for buffing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got killed by a pair of sleeping varangians I was stabbing. Lucatiel decided not to help and I just used a repair powder. I've got a lot less patience for the game now that it ate all my saves. :geno:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alright new big dragon strat.

Go in and walk forward a bit. Don't get too close. Wait for it to lift it's head up then run in an outward arc towards the dragon. Go between it's hind legs and drain your stamina bar swinging at one of the hind legs. Stop swinging and keep touching the leg. As soon as it lifts the leg up walk over to the other leg. Drain your stamina swinging, stop swinging, keep touching the leg. Rinse and repeat. If you get lucky it will stay stuck in the pattern of lifting it's hind legs. However, keep the camera pointed towards the front of the dragon. If it lifts its front legs, you have to go to the outside of the dragon because it will breath between it's hind legs.

After it breathes between it's hind legs I prefer to go in front of one of the front legs and take a few swings then back off a little and wait. Pay attention to the wings. Once the dragon flaps the wings it will fly up and breath down. It seems that the location where it breathes is locked after the wings flap, and if you sprint in any direction afterwards you are 100% guaranteed to get away. It's important that you never sprint before you see the wings flap, otherwise you will run out of stamina and will get scorched. From here start at the very beginning of getting the dragon to do the forward fire breathing attack.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Safety Scissors posted:

Alright new big dragon strat.

Just cheese him with Gower's, that lovely boss doesn't deserve having actual strategies developed for.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Crimson Harvest posted:

Who's Licia? The miracle-selling lady?
Yep.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Lucatiel decided not to help

My best moment with Lucatiel was when I summoned her in front of the Smelter Demon and she promptly ran off the platform, into the lava and died. :downs:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
How I use lances in PvP is dual-wielding them so I get the fast dual rapiers moveset and just destroy dudes with my super strong really fast l1s and l2s

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I DID IT!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Colapops posted:

Lances are also slow and heavy. They're two different weapons meant to fill different roles.

Spears are simply different in this game than they were in DS1, where you could turtle behind your shield and stab with your spear 50 times before your stamina ran out.

The pure physical ones aside from the channeler's trident could all stand to have their damage upped by half or so on the r1s. They're worthless against heavy armor too but that's heavy armor's fault.

For whatever reason I end up getting a lot of backstabs when I'm using spears though.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Colapops posted:

Lances are also slow and heavy. They're two different weapons meant to fill different roles.

Spears are simply different in this game than they were in DS1, where you could turtle behind your shield and stab with your spear 50 times before your stamina ran out.

The role spears are meant to fulfill in this game is being bad. I guess they're okay as side weapons for that one time someone is almost dead and tries rolling away from you, but nobody sees a spear and tries to fight from far away and even then I can't even interrupt a greatsword half the time from max distance. With a lance I can poke from far and still get out of the way in time, and if someone rolls into my attack I don't do 5 damage.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 12, 2014

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

argondamn posted:

The role spears are meant to fulfill in this game is being bad. I guess they're okay as side weapons for that one time someone is almost dead and tries rolling away from you, but nobody sees a spear and tries to fight from far away and even then I can't even interrupt a greatsword half the time from max distance. With a lance I can poke from far and still get out of the way in time, and if someone rolls into my attack I don't do 5 damage.

I am really sad that spears are bad. I want them to be good. But halberds are so good I don't mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game won't let me pick up the wanderer set from the Lost Bastille now. It's somehow a millimeter out of reach.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Just fought a guy who was wearing no heavy armor at all, and I did jackshit to him even after his buffs wore off. Thanks devs for making defense OP.

Ice Fist posted:

I am really sad that spears are bad. I want them to be good. But halberds are so good I don't mind.

They're not bad, they're very good weapons; quick and decently damaging, good for hitting at a distance and they don't leave you wide open like lances. I'd say Halberds are worse for the most part, since it's very hard to hit with them, even hard to hit so you do full damage, and if you miss you are easily punished.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Beat the game and got bored of NG+ PvP so I've started over again. Playing as Sneezy, the loveable dwarf! Rushed to the doors of Pharros and got the full Grym Warrior set + anvil hammer thingy. This is such a fun weapon, no one seems to think you can combo attacks cause I attack and miss once and they rush in to get flattened by its second crushing attack.

Though I do kinda feel cheep since it feels a bit havelish, I still take damage but no where near as much as I did when wearing my tighty whitys, mage gear.

Right now I'm trying to level up my vit and str so I can use the shield AND hammer or duel wield those cool axes.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

RBA Starblade posted:

The game won't let me pick up the wanderer set from the Lost Bastille now. It's somehow a millimeter out of reach.

I killed the zombies while they were in the cage on my first character, making the set completely inaccessible...

I've got a spare on some of my characters if you'd like it;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/magus424/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magus42 posted:

I killed the zombies while they were in the cage on my first character, making the set completely inaccessible...

I've got a spare on some of my characters if you'd like it;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/magus424/

Thanks for the offer, but I think I like wearing the imported set a bit more. I thought they were a static item, I threw a firebomb. I guess that's why.

One thing I've learned playing a mage again is that greatswords are easy mode.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

I was really disappointed when I discovered that powerstanced Dragonslayer's spear's L2 didn't shoot two lightning spears.

I was even more disappointed when I tried powerstanced +5 Spitfire Spear's L2 and did a whopping 500 damage hitting with the tip and both fireballs to FoFG hollows. Buffed with flame weapon and charcoal resin.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The mummies drop the set so you have to make sure not to kill them before they get entirely out of the cage.

Don't use Soul Appease as the cage is coming up or you could end up with the item in the back of the cage, denying it to yourself or a host who you may or may not be "helping." This has definitely never happened but it would be a good thing to not do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I thought you could drop into the cage from later on in the Bastille, from the rooftops above. I've never tried it but it kinda looks like you can angle yourself in. Then again, the item is a physical drop, so it'll go away if you die; that means you have to fight the sentinels without dying a single time.

Or you could just aescetic the area, but that means an increase in difficulty, and aaaaa why didn't they just make equipment drops teleport to your inventory like in Dark Souls 1 what the fuuuuck

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Genocyber posted:

So telling you that spears are actually good is "stupid poo poo." Okay then.

Yeah I don't get the hate for spears. The Silverblack Spear is a weapon I used on one of my first characters and I loved it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

About Gedosato again, is there a way to avoid damage numbers when you hit an enemy being super tiny?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I wish there were a way to see my win/loss for blood bros (or any of the pvp covenants)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

About Gedosato again, is there a way to avoid damage numbers when you hit an enemy being super tiny?

No. The HUD around the edges of the screen is static and scales to your resolution, but the HUD elements that show up in physical form (enemy health bars, damage numbers etc) are not scaled upward, so if your resolution is big enough they will always appear at 100% of their size. It was that way in Dark Souls 1 too, I think.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Barrel Knight Tallgeese is the best thing I've seen in this game.

E: I gave spears another try. Nope. Still poo poo.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 12, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Use the pike. Become the master of poking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing any summon signs until I realized it's Wednesday night and there just aren't many people on right now. I kept checking the bone of order because of the disconnects yesterday. :downs:

e: No bell bites either. :(

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 12, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Your Computer posted:

My best moment with Lucatiel was when I summoned her in front of the Smelter Demon and she promptly ran off the platform, into the lava and died. :downs:

That's the curse taking its toll. She thought the lava was strawberry bavarian cream. Poor Lucatiel.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just invaded and killed the guy who helped me kill the gargoyles this run. Sorry buddy, you should have left when you had the chance. :(

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Am I going to be packing repair powders/a small arsenal of weapons on my NG+ (or higher, thanks bonfire ascetics!) runs?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tasoth posted:

Am I going to be packing repair powders/a small arsenal of weapons on my NG+ (or higher, thanks bonfire ascetics!) runs?

Only if you plan on using a halberd really. It's not much different from NG in that regard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I think she reacts to enemies, so if you ran past stuff she'll try and reach them and kill herself. Probably why she walks off the pier in No-Man's Wharf as well. I've always killed all the enemies along the way before summoning her and she's never killed herself. Though I did once have her not follow me into a boss room.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The only people I can kill with powerstanced Spitfire Spears are the baddies in the blue arena. I'm crushed that I can't find a way to work the powerstanced L2 into things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've had Lucatiel fail to follow me into the fog door no less than three times.

I'm pretty sure it still counts.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should I use dark weapon, magic weapon, or resonant weapon (or sunlight when I get to the crypt)? I'm only using dark weapon right now because of the nerf to flame weapon. Also the wikis are saying they last 10-12 seconds at ~10 faith which seems wrong to me. Mine's lasting a decent while at 18 faith, at least.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm having a serious problem lately of people hitting me after I roll behind them in PVP. At first I thought it must be latency but usually it also happens when otherwise the animation actually syncs up with the damage so it looks like it shouldn't be hitting me, but it does anyway.

Short of just not rolling in their direction anymore (which sucks because I kinda depend on backstabs a ton just to kill anybody), what am I supposed to do here? I try baiting out attacks to parry but it never works, and rolling away just makes the whole thing play out again.

Edit: I hate katanas so loving much.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 12, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Should I use dark weapon, magic weapon, or resonant weapon (or sunlight when I get to the crypt)? I'm only using dark weapon right now because of the nerf to flame weapon. Also the wikis are saying they last 10-12 seconds at ~10 faith which seems wrong to me. Mine's lasting a decent while at 18 faith, at least.

Not Resonant, it got nerfed pretty hard, too. Between Sunlight/Dark/Crystal Magic, there are more Dark-resistant enemies in the rest of the game, but you'll probably get the best results if you use the element your weapon does. Dark's got the most uses of them, though.
(Also Sunlight's over in the Shrine, not the Crypt.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can just buy it from Straid once you kill Velstadt as well. It's not that useful in PvE outside of bosses though since it has one use.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I just invaded a dude in the iron keep who was ready to fight the iron king, but hadn't lit the bonfire after smelter demon OR turned off the smelter. What the crap :psyduck:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I just invaded a dude in the iron keep who was ready to fight the iron king, but hadn't lit the bonfire after smelter demon OR turned off the smelter. What the crap :psyduck:

I didn't find that bonfire until my NG++ playthrough. Sad times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Maybe he didn't fight the Smelter Demon and maybe he missed the ladder in the bull?

I dunno, that doesn't seem so tremendously shocking. If you go around the trap room to the right instead of the left, you see the door out to OIK before you see the ladder up.