Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Guido is supposed to look all misshapen and weird because when he was a kid he got hit by a bus and that triggered his powers. It made his body get all hosed up.

I never thought of it that way, I just assumed it was another comic character that was stupidly huge but the artist had no idea how to actually draw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

twistedmentat posted:

I never thought of it that way, I just assumed it was another comic character that was stupidly huge but the artist had no idea how to actually draw that.

You should read it, its in one of the annuals and is stylized like Calvin and Hobbes. Which creates a fun tone right uo to when he got hit by the bus and his power activates. Also Strong Guy being a terrible name is often brought up during David's x-factor run among others.

He's currently a demon lord so that's pretty cool. I hope someone can do something with that. The X Factor issue from David's last run where Layla is trying to change the timeline while M and Guido are flirting with each other is my favorite issue of the series. Guido was a great character to have lose his soul. I also liked Darwin "adapting" to Hela by becoming evil as well. Good ideas in that series hard to say why most of them fell flat except: Rahne.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Strong Guy is no longer a demon lord, sadly. Charles Soule had the Thunderbolts oust him, and he rejected their offer to give him a lift out of hell.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

His origin in like one page:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Strong Guy is no longer a demon lord, sadly. Charles Soule had the Thunderbolts oust him, and he rejected their offer to give him a lift out of hell.

Well that's unfortunate. Worth the read?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, I am unashamed in my love for Thunderbolts, but I'd say so. Soule's really made a purse out if Way's sow ear of a run.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I have this underlying feeling that this Nightcrawler book is, objectively, not very good and yet I can't seem to stop myself from enjoying it. It's fun and sort of campy, somehow reminding me of older stuff.

Like, just the depiction of Nightcrawler's heaven somehow invokes nostalgia and I can't even place why.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Of course the issue ends right before X-23 does something cool. I do hope she kills all the future brotherhood so we never have to see them again.

I am interested to see the adventures of Iron Man, Ben and uh, the Cuckoo with the black hair (Irma? Mindee?).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Of course the issue ends right before X-23 does something cool. I do hope she kills all the future brotherhood so we never have to see them again.

I am interested to see the adventures of Iron Man, Ben and uh, the Cuckoo with the black hair (Irma? Mindee?).

You know that somehow Beast is going to betray them, allowing for them to be beat. I half expect he is the one who sent to note so they will go back at that point which is the only time that they can be defeated.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
While I always loved the X-Men movies and TV shows, I never got big into the comics. I'd read a few here and there like some of Whedon's run and stuff, but it's a big blindspot for me. So this summer I'm gonna read through all of Claremont's run. That's 16 years of comics. Is this the worst idea ever?

Also I'm gonna do this while I read it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

While I always loved the X-Men movies and TV shows, I never got big into the comics. I'd read a few here and there like some of Whedon's run and stuff, but it's a big blindspot for me. So this summer I'm gonna read through all of Claremont's run. That's 16 years of comics. Is this the worst idea ever?

Also I'm gonna do this while I read it.

No, I'm actually planning on doing the same. It's honestly not as big a task as it sounds; those issues read pretty quickly for the most part. Half the dialogue of that era is recapping what happened in the last issue and what the powers of each character is, so there's a lot of non-essential text.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

No, I'm actually planning on doing the same. It's honestly not as big a task as it sounds; those issues read pretty quickly for the most part. Half the dialogue of that era is recapping what happened in the last issue and what the powers of each character is, so there's a lot of non-essential text.

Yeah I am thinking of doing the same plus the spin offs. It will be a bit bigger than my read through of hellblazer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah once the fights start I almost completely ignore the dialogue. I KNOW you have optic beams, Cyclops. I can SEE you USING them RIGHT NOW.

Also I've jumped around a bit to get into it. I read the DoFP trade and the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini. It's crazy how dramatically Claremont's writing improves. Once he's used to the characters we get to spend a lot more time with them just being people and see more of their lives outside the spandex. In his first few issues it's still super 70s fight-y fight-y with some crappy villains. Kitty Pryde really helps to ground the series since she's not even really an X-Man for a while. One of her subplots starts out with her joining a dance studio and making a new friend.

This is why she is the best X-Man.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 11, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

^^ Remember the first couple of his issues he is not the one in charge. He is working off Cockrum and Len scripts. I also still think that Cockrum is the best X-men artist. :colbert:

Unmature posted:

Yeah once the fights start I almost completely ignore the dialogue. I KNOW you have optic beams, Cyclops. I can SEE you USING them RIGHT NOW.

Oh Doctor Doom or Dracula is in this issue? Well I can ignore all their dialogue as it will all be about how great Storm is and how they want her to be their bride.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 11, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Unmature posted:

I've been doing that for a while, I'm up to the late-80s stuff now, when Jim Lee first came on. I heartily recommend it, but leave off at the end of his initial run (X-Men v.2 #3). DO NOT read his post-comeback stuff.

It will almost certainly include some of the best superhero comics you've ever read. Everything up through around the point when Rachel Summers joins the team is stone-cold classic, and after that, even the bad issues are pretty entertaining.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

"Good thing ah'm invulnerable when ah'm blastin'!"

I've been reading New Mutants lately, in case you couldn't tell.

radlum
May 13, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I hope X-23 guts them all; I didn't like the future Brotherhood in the crossover and I don't like them here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I'm officially done with All New and Uncanny. Bendis just isn't bringing it to the table enough for me to give a drat anymore, and now I've got Yost and Kyle on Amazing and their first issue was great.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, gently caress those Brotherhood guys.

Loved seeing my favourite freelance peace-keeping agent show up in the X-Men special, and in something close to his classic green duds too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

radlum posted:

I hope X-23 guts them all; I didn't like the future Brotherhood in the crossover and I don't like them here.

The only one I'd be sad to see go is Molly. But gently caress Raze and Xavier Jr.

When Wolverine is dead, I hope his place is taken by Laura on all the teams.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think I'm officially done with All New and Uncanny. Bendis just isn't bringing it to the table enough for me to give a drat anymore, and now I've got Yost and Kyle on Amazing and their first issue was great.

Speaking of dropping stuff, I just gave up on Amazing X-Men. I liked the Nightcrawler story, but I don't care about Firestar or whatever her name is. They're trying to push her for some reason. And a 5 issue storyline about fighting Wendigos? No thanks.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Raze could've been an interesting character since Logan and Raven are pretty strange people whose kid would be weird, but he's just written as a blue Sabertooth. Missed opportunity there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The last page of All-New is great.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I really wanted to like All-New from the get go. I thought changing books would be good for Bendis, bring back the guy that was doing the early days of New Avengers but it's such a waste of Immonen's talents. I actually like his designs for the future brotherhood but yeah, it's all a whole bunch of nothing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

twistedmentat posted:

The only one I'd be sad to see go is Molly. But gently caress Raze and Xavier Jr.

When Wolverine is dead, I hope his place is taken by Laura on all the teams.

Wait, wait, I haven't read current X-men for a while. Do you mean the future evil brotherhood is evil now in their current 616 forms, or did they visit again from the future?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The future evil brotherhood that we met sends a letter to the past-future brotherhood so we're actually seeing the future brotherhood from the future brotherhood's past explicitly told how to deal with the present X-teams but after the future future brotherhood showed up. Which is why a bunch of them are back, because that future no longer exists, but it send the past future brotherhood a letter.

Probably Magic posted:

Raze could've been an interesting character since Logan and Raven are pretty strange people whose kid would be weird, but he's just written as a blue Sabertooth. Missed opportunity there.
All of these characters are seriously just
Take existing property
Draw angry eyebrows on them
Make them say THE FUTURE IS YOUR FAULT

Anything beyond that was too much effort

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Does baby Xavier look just like Xavier because Mystique was disguised as him when she hosed him?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

MY ABACUS! posted:

Does baby Xavier look just like Xavier because Mystique was disguised as him when she hosed him?

No, the weird eyebrow gene is just very strong in the Xavier line.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, you see, when Mystique and Logan did their thing, their kid turned out exactly like his mother but WITH CLAWS! But when it was decided that Xavier's "grandkid" was actually his son with Mystique of all people, he's an exact clone because that's how genetics work and not because Bendis decided on a whim that would be the best way to use said character.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

And there's another missed opportunity, because he should've just been a clone that Hank did because That's The Kind Of rear end in a top hat Thing Hank Would Do.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

And there's another missed opportunity, because he should've just been a clone that Hank did because That's The Kind Of rear end in a top hat Thing Hank Would Do.

Oh man, this would have been perfect.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I didn't really read comics, other than the ones college kids named dropped to each other around the turn of the century, until I went through all of X-Men up through Claremont's run as a grown man. His run has all of the tics people make fun of but it's amazing, and I really love kind of everything about it. It doesn't hurt that once it gets worked up a little bit he is constantly working with great comic book artists in their prime.

Neal Adams' brief tenure on art towards the end of the original series's run is also really beautiful.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Saoshyant posted:

Well, you see, when Mystique and Logan did their thing, their kid turned out exactly like his mother but WITH CLAWS! But when it was decided that Xavier's "grandkid" was actually his son with Mystique of all people, he's an exact clone because that's how genetics work and not because Bendis decided on a whim that would be the best way to use said character.

Maybe he's also a shapeshifter like Raze, but he's incredibly fixated on his dad and opts to look like him.

Or maybe kids don't follow a predictable notion of who they look like. I resemble my mother, my sister looks remarkably like my dad with breasts and brown hair. Genetics are weird.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I was reading issue 106 of X-Men and thought something was weird. During some routine Danger Room exercises the X-Men meet with some very unexpected guests—the original X-Men! That’s cool and all, but that exact thing happened a few issues ago when they fought the X-Sentinels, robot duplicates of the original team. The art was weird too. It’s clearly not Cockrum, it’s actually way better (sorry Dave). Luckily I read the letters page and found this:

He explains that this was a fill-in issue they had in the can in case something went wrong and Cockrum couldn’t make his deadline. In this case it was Dave penciling a John Carter comic that same month. Unfortunately the issue’s artist Bob Brown died just a few weeks before this issue went to print. I’m not familiar with his work outside of this issue, but I still got a little misty reading this letter. According to Wikipedia he was prolific from the 40s to his death in the 70s working on comics for DC and Marvel like The Phantom Stranger, Daredevil and even took over Challengers of the Unknown after Jack Kirby left the title.

I’ve also noticed while reading these letter pages that a lot of women wrote into Marvel in the 70s. That’s pretty cool.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
You guys are forgetting that Mystique gave birth to Xavier Jr. as Moira McTaggert, so presumably she looked the same when they were bumping the uglies and that's why he still looks 'normal' compared to Raze.

Mystique's shapeshifting could affect a lot more than just her own personal physical appearance.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Probably Magic posted:

Raze would be better if he wasn't a villain I think. Just make him more of a self-interested, flamboyant dude going around and saving the day in the pursuit of fame, money excitement, etc. like a non-lovely Daken or something and it would've improved him tenfold.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It would be really cool if, for once, Wolverine had a kid who wasn't completely and utterly lovely. I know Marjorie Liu tried really hard to spin Daken as a cool Machiavelli in his series, but it felt really uninteresting anyway. A villainous Wolverine kid is always just going to feel like Sabertooth at the end of the day. It'd be much cooler if it were some random kid who finds out, "Holy poo poo, my dad was WOLVERINE?!" To a point, that's what happened to Logan anyway in his origin. Mirror that instead of making another stab in, "Logan's regretful past bites him in the rear end again."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eh, I guess X-23 is the closest we'll get to that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You guys are forgetting that Mystique gave birth to Xavier Jr. as Moira McTaggert, so presumably she looked the same when they were bumping the uglies and that's why he still looks 'normal' compared to Raze.

Mystique's shapeshifting could affect a lot more than just her own personal physical appearance.

I can't bring myself to read the issue again but are they implying that Raze is running around as an kid right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Eh, I guess X-23 is the closest we'll get to that.

Has there been anything that showed Logan and Laura bonding in a family way? I read all the X-force stuff with them, and other stuff surrounding schism, but there's things here and there, but nothing where he legitimately acts like a dad to her, but all the materials i've read describing their relationship, says its very father/daughter.

• Locked thread