Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I love this episode because it proves that no one (except maybe Jotaro because he's the main JoJo) is safe - sure we've had main characters die in JoJo before, but it's always mostly near the end, and to give JoJo a shonen spirit power up.

Now it's episode ten and this happens. I dunno how long we have left but holy poo poo, I legitimately fear for the lives of the rest of the team. Especially considering that DIO may be saving his strongest men for later... :ohdear:

Stardust crusaders covers chapter 114 to 265 of Jojo's bizarre adventure. Hol Horse shoots Avdol in chapter 142. So, 28 chapters down out of 151.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Well then.

*Adds entry to his "things I never wanted to know" list* :negative:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

Raindrops are reflective. That should give it enough leeway to give its host some cover.

They're pretty lucky they aren't facing Geil/Centerfold in monsoon season, actually. I don't even want to think about what he could do in a proper fight in a rainstorm.

I really want to see Catch the Rainbow's fight animated, but that will probably never happen :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I thought there was going to be a joke where they would have ordered pork for Polnareff.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Momomo posted:

Sounds like it works better in Italian than any other language.

I dunno, there is the old dub version.

Hol Horse: There's no way your sword can beat my gun!

Polnareff: What's that? I can beat your bum? Oh so you're into that stuff!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah that gave me a real case of linguism envy.

I guess it would have worked in English as "My stand is a gun!" "Huh? A son-of-a-gun?"

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
The animation in the last couple of episodes has been top notch. That scene where Hanged Man was crawling through the window at Polnareff was smooth as hell and delightfully creepy.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Akoogly Eyes posted:

The animation in the last couple of episodes has been top notch. That scene where Hanged Man was crawling through the window at Polnareff was smooth as hell and delightfully creepy.

I love the little flourishes they add. Polnareff knocking around Avdol's necklace as he walks away is the sort of thing that shows David isn't just creating scenes that mimic the panels, they're adding to them to make them feel more alive.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kabanaw posted:

I love the little flourishes they add. Polnareff knocking around Avdol's necklace as he walks away is the sort of thing that shows David isn't just creating scenes that mimic the panels, they're adding to them to make them feel more alive.

Yeah, also the rain was a really nice touch, also all the onlookers when Polnareff argued with Avdol.

jyrque posted:

Great to see this animated, even if the comedic timing was lacking. :allears:

That's pretty much my only gripe with the new series: it seems to have this constant hurry to keep things moving with no silent pauses. Because the main story moves in Part 3 at a glacial pace in favor of Jojo and the gang traveling the world, I wish they took their time to make the journey worthwhile. I'm in no hurry to see the ending.

Are you saying the laughter didn't last long enough? I thought it was pretty funny, they even added puzzled onlookers.

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Speaking of, I never really got the sense of the area in the manga like I do in the anime. In the manga, I don't see any other people standing around. In the anime, you see everyone is just looking at these two white dudes acting crazy in the middle of the street.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

tlarn posted:

For anyone who's experiencing Part 3 for the first time here, what do you think? poo poo got very real in a hurry.

:allears: Hol Horse.

Oh wow, two villains that didn't die in the same episode they debuted in! (they'll die next episode I bet)

Also, I think Avdol is only technically dead. Considering his fire stand is also a bird, I get the feeling he will be reborn at some point, if not the next episode.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Kurtofan posted:

Are you saying the laughter didn't last long enough? I thought it was pretty funny, they even added puzzled onlookers.

Just the pacing of dialogue. A small pause after Polnareff's joke would've worked better in my opinion, underlined the lameness of it and all. Now it's just "huh you beat yourself?? hahaha let's fight". But as I said, it seems David Production is really trying to cram as much stuff per episode as possible, dramatic pauses be damned.

Also ASB Hol Horse was absolutely perfect and it's a pity the same actor is not at work here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally, I found the sudden shift from the lame joke to "I'm going to murder you." to be pretty funny.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jyrque posted:

But as I said, it seems David Production is really trying to cram as much stuff per episode as possible, dramatic pauses be damned.

That's not really true. The pacing (in terms of chapters per episode) has been a lot slower than it was in Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Silver2195 posted:

That's not really true. The pacing (in terms of chapters per episode) has been a lot slower than it was in Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency.

Yeah, I did the math for it earlier today. Stardust Crusader has been paced at on average 2.8 chapters per episode (The end of this episode was the end of chapter 142. SC starts at 114. That's 28 chapters for 10 episodes), where Phantom Blood was 44 chapters in 9 episodes, marking almost 5 chapters per episode. Battle Tendency was 69 chapters in 17 episodes, which is slightly more than 4 chapters per episode.

The pace has dropped shitloads.

Edit: Incidentally, this means that unless they change the pace a lot, they're en route to finishing Stardust Crusaders in around fifty-two episodes.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 7, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Has there been any word on how many episodes this season's gonna be? I dunno if they're going to be able to finish up Stardust Crusaders in a satisfying manner in only 24 episodes.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Silver2195 posted:

I'n not talking about story content per episode but rather amount of dialogue per scene. I know DP is going verbatim with the comic but it wouldn't hurt to create more feel with some quiet time as well. Let poses speak, so to speak.

A good example of the kind of anime pacing I'm talking about is the new Hunter x Hunter series. There's a lot of dialogue but it's paced so much better than in SC.

And yes, Polnareff and Hol Horse's sudden shift from jokes to combat was hilarious. I'm rambling more about the adaptation in general. The show is only now hitting the groove of interesting, longer stand fights so I'm sure things will pick up. More two parters for above reasons would ve swell.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Butt Ghost posted:

Has there been any word on how many episodes this season's gonna be? I dunno if they're going to be able to finish up Stardust Crusaders in a satisfying manner in only 24 episodes.

I heard it was going to be 3 cours, so around 36-39 episodes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

jyrque posted:

A good example of the kind of anime pacing I'm talking about is the new Hunter x Hunter series. There's a lot of dialogue but it's paced so much better than in SC.

Of course, four times out of five HxH will ruin the quiet moment by having the narrator explain what you just saw in case you were too dumb to get it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Of course, four times out of five anime will ruin the quiet moment by having the narrator explain what you just saw in case you were too dumb to get it.

Yes.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I'm guessing after 24 episodes they'll take a break to work on another show for a season or two then come back with the second half once they've reaped the benefits of those sweet sweet Blu-Ray sales

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I think if they were going to split it into two seasons, the best part to end it on would be-

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I'm guessing after 24 episodes they'll take a break to work on another show for a season or two then come back with the second half once they've reaped the benefits of those sweet sweet Blu-Ray sales

They better not do this again. :argh:

The Bluray/DVD shows that this season will be 24 episodes long, so they'll have to make another season.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I really hope that it is 3 cours, then the second half of the third season will be Diamond is not Crash.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sekkira posted:

I think if they were going to split it into two seasons, the best part to end it on would be-

The part where Jotaro horribly maims and kills Dio after he's pushed too far. Man that part where Dio literally jumps all the way over to America rolling over on a steamboat to suck Holly's blood was the last straw. Oh yeah and somewhere like three members of the cast die after being hit by an avalanche, that's cool too.

Note: These are not actual spoilers before one of you takes any of this seriously.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they are not on a boat anymore but man do things just keep getting crazy

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So the part where they get to Egypt will have its own season, right?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beef Waifu posted:

The part where Jotaro horribly maims and kills Dio after he's pushed too far. Man that part where Dio literally jumps all the way over to America rolling over on a steamboat to suck Holly's blood was the last straw. Oh yeah and somewhere like three members of the cast die after being hit by an avalanche, that's cool too.

Note: These are not actual spoilers before one of you takes any of this seriously.

This would actually all be believable in JoJos.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Darko posted:

This would actually all be believable in JoJos.
Especially since India is surrounded by mountains. Prime avalanche territory there.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sekkira posted:

The best cliffhanger would be when Jotaro is about to OraOraOra some fool.

Tune in next season for the face-smash.

Edit: Ok, that or Kakyoin being alone after a fight, picking a cherry and rerorerorero while looking at the viewer with the "sound effects" in the background.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 8, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
That would unironically be the best cliffhanger.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 8, 2014

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Exercu posted:

Stardust crusaders covers chapter 114 to 265 of Jojo's bizarre adventure. Hol Horse shoots Avdol in chapter 142. So, 28 chapters down out of 151.

Exercu posted:

Yeah, I did the math for it earlier today. Stardust Crusader has been paced at on average 2.8 chapters per episode (The end of this episode was the end of chapter 142. SC starts at 114. That's 28 chapters for 10 episodes), where Phantom Blood was 44 chapters in 9 episodes, marking almost 5 chapters per episode. Battle Tendency was 69 chapters in 17 episodes, which is slightly more than 4 chapters per episode.

The pace has dropped shitloads.

Edit: Incidentally, this means that unless they change the pace a lot, they're en route to finishing Stardust Crusaders in around fifty-two episodes.

So does all of this mean we are on track for a season 2? Wait, that means we'll have to wait as long as a year for half of the story doesn't it. :gonk:

Oh well, that'd be better than another OVA situation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
At that rate we'll have an entire year of Stardust Crusaders.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Tarezax posted:

I have no complaints about this.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Watching this video had me thinking of Jojo in the best possible way. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7R0ZY9w94

It feels especially Jojo-ish if you think of the music video as basically his stand.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 11, 2014

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Tarezax posted:

It'll be a good year for anime.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Ooh, we posting JoJo-related youtubes now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1G-xSe-90
Linked for uhh... :nws:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Zeruel posted:

Wonderful.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
There's also what was inevitably going to happen, with the way Nintendo's E3 presentation started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hqmIwSwcQ

And yes, someone already did the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Zeruel posted:

So that's what happened to Icy Hot Stuntaz

• Locked thread