Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Ian Winthorpe III posted:

Then why is it more objectionable for them to have to work than men or non-pregnant women?

Both are objectionable. Forcing pregnant women to work is worse for the same reasons plus added health reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Haters Objector posted:

You know what I want heavily pregnant women doing? Operating forklifts and tiling roofs.

And yet they're perfectly capable of designing and constructing massive freeway interchanges while they're expecting.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may/21/local/me-reece21

quote:

Marilyn Jorgenson Reece, the first woman in California to be registered as a civil engineer and the designer of the San Diego-Santa Monica freeway interchange in Los Angeles, has died. She was 77.

In 1954, after six years of required experience to sit for the Professional Engineer's Exam, Reece became the state's first fully licensed female civil engineer.

In 1962, she received the Governor's Design Excellence Award from Gov. Pat Brown for the San Diego-Santa Monica freeway interchange.

Shortly after, Reece became the Division of Highway's first woman resident engineer for construction projects.

The three-level San Diego-Santa Monica freeway interchange, which opened in 1964, was the first interchange designed in California by a woman engineer.

Reece's daughter said she has a 1962 picture of her mother standing on top of a graded hill with construction of the freeway interchange in the background

"It's amazing that all that was happening and she was pregnant with her second child," said Bartolotti, who was born in April 1963. "With both my sister and me, when she came back from maternity leave, everyone was surprised because at that particular time as a woman in the work force, once you started having kids your career was over and you stayed home."

While growing up, Bartolotti recalled, "It wasn't uncommon for my sister and me to talk about what our mom did for a profession, and people wouldn't even believe us. Back in those days, if you were a woman in the work force you were a nurse or a teacher or something along those lines and you certainly weren't a civil engineer."

Jeez if some of you were around in those days she wouldn't have even been allowed to drive up to the shops.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
So it's settled. Every pregnant should build highways while gestating.

Also today I learned that the physical effects of pregnancy are experienced identically by every woman.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
A lesson given to you by a man, no less.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Then why is it more objectionable for them to have to work than men or non-pregnant women?

The original issue, from the article posted, which you didn't bother to read, isn't about them being at work. It was about what an unemployed pregnant woman is going to do if she has to wait 6 months for Centrelink.
Pregnant women can work no one is disputing that, it is very much dependent on their role though, Office based work or call centre, not so much a problem for a longer period, if she is a bricklayer or mechanic then it can become a real issue for the health of their child.

But it would be medically inadvisable, by today's standards, for a pregnant woman to start laboring in the mines on a 3-6 month contract surrounded by heavy metals and weighty objects

And yet they're perfectly capable of designing and constructing massive freeway interchanges while they're expecting.

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may/21/local/me-reece21

Jeez if some of you were around in those days she wouldn't have even been allowed to drive up to the shops.

1963 is not 2014.
People still smoked and drank when they were pregnant back then. Nice irrelevant article though.

Now gently caress off back to your troll hole.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 12, 2014

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

So it's settled. Every pregnant should build highways while gestating.
"So, Mrs Pregnant Female, why have you designed an extra lane for the tunnel?"
"Breakdown and Emergency lane that can be changed to a third lane if the other two reach capacity."
"That's silly, you pregnant and clearly intended the lane to be used to satisfy your cravings."

And that, gentlemen, is a possible reason why the M5 East is loving awful.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-06-11/carbon-tax-isn-t-killing-jobs-in-australia

quote:

Australia's carbon tax experiment doesn't back up those warnings. Although the country's macroeconomic indicators have flagged since the tax took effect, that had little to do with the tax, economists say. Meanwhile, the tax succeeded at reducing emissions. What Abbott paints as a cautionary tale may instead be a model for the U.S. and others to follow.

US take on the carbon tax. Interesting read and pretty detailed too.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

gays, fatties and women are the main funny things in life. Fuck those lefty tumblrfuck fags, I'll laugh at poofs and abbos if I want to

Bompacho posted:

The original issue, from the article posted, which you didn't bother to read, isn't about them being at work. It was about what an unemployed pregnant woman is going to do if she has to wait 6 months for Centrelink.
Pregnant woman can work no one is disputing that, it is very much dependent on their role though, Office based work or call centre, not so much a problem, if she is a bricklayer or mechanic then it can become a real issue for the health of their child.

Well that's good because even without child women already avoid such jobs like the plague:

http://www.women.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/268010/3000_WNSW-OccasionalPaper_document_ART.pdf

quote:

Fewer than two percent of construction, automotive and electrical tradespeople in Australia today are women. There were just 676 female carpenters, 931 female motor mechanics, 638 female plumbers and 1,432 female electricians nation-wide in 2011 within a total technicians and trades workforce of nearly 1.43 million people, just over 14 percent of the workforce.

In the largest single trade occupation in Australia – that of electrician – women were just 1.3 percent of the total

Let me know when the first pregnant woman is reluctantly forced by the government to push wheelbarrows of bricks around; in the meantime, maybe have a bex and cool it on the scaremongering.

Ian Winthorpe III fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 12, 2014

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

Retail, hospitality, aged care, nursing. You stupid gently caress.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So on the 22nd of May I embarked on an odessy. How easy would it be for me to claim the $300 low income supplement that was my personal compensation for the carbon tax?

I can apply online! After creating a new account (for gov services online) I was able to attempt to access my existing Centerlink account (from 10 years ago) I fortunately had all the documentation they required (on-line), Some of which was truly bizarre but I digress, and a mere three hours later I was greeted by a screen that informed me that the 'Service Unavailable'. Undaunted I logged out and back in reentered a short story of information and was eventually informed that I would need to front Centerlink and present documents. It was entirely vague about what exact documents I needed so I took everything.

Because I nominally have full time employment it took me a little while before I was able to make time to get to Centerlink and was told that it would be a 10 to 15 minute wait tops. It was more like 20 but that's being reasonably petty. A very surly gentleman checked over my documents and disputed my claim that it was very vague on what I needed to bring in. I than asked what was the point in me providing a document from the ATO that I know Centerlink has online access to. He informed me "He doesn't assess the claims and so has no idea." He photocopied the document in question and dismissed me. I asked how long it would take and he helpfully informed me that "He had no idea".

I got an email yesterday to say I would be given the money today. I checked and amazingly enough I did get the money!

So three weeks wait and about four hours work. I guess that's OK. My chief observation is that I'm throbbingly glad I don't have to deal with those fuckers on a day to day basis.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Haters Objector posted:

Also today I learned that the physical effects of pregnancy are experienced identically by every woman.

Today I learned that because one pregnant woman had a positive employment experience in an engineering design job it is wrong to express particular concern for depriving poor pregnant women of their welfare.

IWC why are you still so poo poo

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Honestly, Bompacho, it's not like they're going to be literally forced to go report in at a job, they're just going to be stripped of any social safety net during a time when it would be difficult to perform any work. Or to even find work in the first place, so actually you're being quite disingenuous for bothering to complain about those non-existent working conditions they're not experiencing while they're also not getting welfare.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Centerlink would not let me log in or change my password or anything for all of May, and then they cancelled my youth allowance because I couldn't report my income without waiting for 2 hours on the phone, which was impossible for me to do. The online system sucks.

E: And it's likely to happen again because for some dumb reason there are 2 account number associated with my name and the girl on the phone couldn't fix it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Tony really seems to be adopting the "Wreck the place as much as possible before we get kicked out." strategy doesn't he?

Incidentally, I was telling someone about Tony's hilarious antics earlier and I had a slip of the tongue and called him "Tory Abbott", how correct is this? :haw:

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Well that's good because even without child women already avoid such jobs like the plague:

http://www.women.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/268010/3000_WNSW-OccasionalPaper_document_ART.pdf

[quote]Fewer than two percent of construction, automotive and electrical tradespeople in Australia today are women. There were just 676 female carpenters, 931 female motor mechanics, 638 female plumbers and 1,432 female electricians nation-wide in 2011 within a total technicians and trades workforce of nearly 1.43 million people, just over 14 percent of the workforce.

In the largest single trade occupation in Australia – that of electrician – women were just 1.3 percent of the total[quote]

Let me know when the first pregnant woman is reluctantly forced by the government to push wheelbarrows of bricks around; in the meantime, maybe have a bex and cool it on the scaremongering.

Nice work on skipping over the fact that not all women experience the same pregnancy and that under the 'earn or learn' measure, newly unemployed may have to take the first work offered to them, if they can find any because, though many wouldn't admit it, employers would probably avoid hiring a pregnant woman, even though it is against the law.

Also gently caress you that 2% (plus the sectors Haters object mentioned) of women. Good luck.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

can't work, food baby

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Honestly, Bompacho, it's not like they're going to be literally forced to go report in at a job, they're just going to be stripped of any social safety net during a time when it would be difficult to perform any work. Or to even find work in the first place, so actually you're being quite disingenuous for bothering to complain about those non-existent working conditions they're not experiencing while they're also not getting welfare.

As are men, therefore equal rights which if i'm not mistaken is one of the goals of feminism. I don't remember the Suferagettes or Reclaim the Night holding placards saying 'Equal Rights Now! But With Exceptions Based On Hoary Old Patriarchal Notions of Feminine Delicacy!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

As are men, therefore equal rights which if i'm not mistaken is one of the goals of feminism. I don't remember the Suferagettes or Reclaim the Night holding placards saying 'Equal Rights Now! But With Exceptions Based On Hoary Old Patriarchal Notions of Feminine Delicacy!

do you understand that pregnant women are going to find it more difficult to find work because employers are biased against them

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm pretty sure we already did a bunch of complaining on behalf of the young men though, included in the Venn diagram of literally everyone under 30? Might've been a couple pages back. Could be easy to miss I suppose.

Realtalk though IWC, why are you even doing this. This isn't exactly echo-chamber-combo-breaker Zen Master material here, you're more like everyone's one friend on Facebook who shares that 9/11 conspiracy video that's easily proven to be willfully falsified cause you're "not saying one way or the other, it just makes u think".

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ahahah, so real actual health issues caused by pregnancy are now "Hoary Old Patriarchal Notions of Feminine Delicacy", but I'm guessing that is only true when it serves your argument.

P.S. Go back to the MRA pit from whence you came and :vd:.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

Realtalk though IWC, why are you even doing this. This isn't exactly echo-chamber-combo-breaker Zen Master material here, you're more like everyone's one friend on Facebook who shares that 9/11 conspiracy video that's easily proven to be willfully falsified cause you're "not saying one way or the other, it just makes u think".

I'm not saying 'it makes u think', i'm saying that men should stop presuming that women are little china dolls who need their leadership and wisdom and petty, patronizing concessions.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I'm not saying 'it makes u think', i'm saying that men should stop presuming that women are little china dolls who need their leadership and wisdom and petty, patronizing concessions.

That's great maybe you should go post somewhere where men are saying that.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Haters Objector posted:

That's great maybe you should go post somewhere where men are saying that.

Well I can't post in the Liberal Party Room so I guess D&D: Auspol it is.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

In the real world, in Australia, in 2014, pregnant women (especially poor pregnant women who need income support) are going to face special disabilities and prejudices in the job market.

No one has suggested that, actually, the welfare cuts are fine but we should make a special exception for pregnant women. As Bifauxnen points out, there has been vocal, persistent, constant opposition to the welfare cuts as opposed to everyone.

This latest flurry of posting about pregnant women is a highlighting of a particular way in which these cuts are going to affect a particular bracket of society.

In conclusion, kill yourself

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Squeezing as much economic labour out of pregnant women as possible--classy poo poo, Australia. Nan's a bit frail but she can still do pick-packing in her spare time between doctor's appointments. I have no legs but I can do monkey-bar testing whenever possible. If you're not operating at maximum economic potential then you're not living the good life.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 12, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Those On My Left posted:

No one has suggested that, actually, the welfare cuts are fine but we should make a special exception for pregnant women. As Bifauxnen points out, there has been vocal, persistent, constant opposition to the welfare cuts as opposed to everyone.

Actually I said our opposition "could be easy to miss I suppose", but just in case you didn't realize it IWC, that was actually sarcasm!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Everyone's also ignoring that regardless of whether a pregnant woman is willing and capable of working, a pregnant woman in Australia is incredibly unlikely to be hired for any job - in fact, employers are more likely to lay them off, even if it is illegal.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HookShot posted:

Everyone's also ignoring that regardless of whether a pregnant woman is willing and capable of working, a pregnant woman in Australia is incredibly unlikely to be hired for any job - in fact, employers are more likely to lay them off, even if it is illegal.

She should set up a small business. She could make marmalade and sell it out the front of her house, or sell cheap hand jobs to job-creators. Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you can't show a bit of entrepreneurship.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

And look, the government is giving her some seed capital in the form of the Baby Bonus. It would be crazy not to start a business with that kind of bunce

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

HookShot posted:

oi hookshot i was pointing that out :mad:

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

do you understand that pregnant women are going to find it more difficult to find work because employers are biased against them

Well given this reality I would suggest that a wise choice of partner or a comprehensive financial plan would be advisable before embarking upon a pregnancy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Actually if they considered the benefits of prostitution there is a considerable saving on contraceptives available to them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Well given this reality I would suggest that a wise choice of partner or a comprehensive financial plan would be advisable before embarking upon a pregnancy.

True, I can't think of a single situation where a pregnant woman might not have a well-off partner and a big stash of money beforehand.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You idiots just can't resist responding to trolls, holy poo poo. Either skip the posts entirely or empty quote them.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

True, I can't think of a single situation where a pregnant woman might not have a well-off partner and a big stash of money beforehand.

I can: poor planning and a lack of impulse control.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

This is your laziest outing yet, you lovely, lovely hack. Just go away.

Ian Winthorpe III
Dec 5, 2013

Those On My Left posted:

This is your laziest outing yet, you lovely, lovely hack. Just go away.

Incisive meta-commentary, thanks!

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

In other news, world is fukt:
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/11/-sp-el-nino-weather-2014?CMP=soc_567

Good timing really, nothing like a massive drought to remind India that Abbott is being a loving idiot on climate change.

Is it bad that I'm worried that it will take them too long to decide to nuke us to prevent any further damage, because the longer they wait, the riskier the outcome of nukes adding to global warming?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Orkin Mang posted:

You idiots just can't resist responding to trolls, holy poo poo. Either skip the posts entirely or empty quote them.
We're performing an important public service by presenting considered information to lurkers and jkfndghbvyuuidfgbdfszlxiu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

There you have it kids:

Marry for money not love.
Babies are only for people with Financial plans.
If you are already unemployed then good luck, filthy pleb.

• Locked thread